Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th December 2009, 19:49   #1651
BHPian

I had posted a query regarding Retrofitting. I had a talk with Customer Support Manager of my region on Saturday. They told me Patiala is pending in the list of Retrofitting. But one thing I want to tell you is, since I emailed them a query regarding retrofitting, the Customer Support Manager from Chandigarh came down to Patiala Today just particularly for my car. He got ECU cover and timing chain with him and was in Patiala till the car got its work done. Impressive!
ThE Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 21:58   #1652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuvarghese View Post
By yesterday night when I completed my long drive, have done 1650+ kms. Have to do the first service in a few days time.
That's good going Viju - 1650 kms in one week of ownership Where did you go to? How was the overall driving experience? Please post up in the travelogues or initial ownership section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuvarghese View Post
There was a slight hesitation to engage 1st while downshifting at ~10km/hr, which also disappeared after 800kms.
Why would you downshift to first unless starting from a stop?
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 00:08   #1653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
That's good going Viju - 1650 kms in one week of ownership Where did you go to? How was the overall driving experience? Please post up in the travelogues or initial ownership section.

I drove down to Trivandrum, and came back. This week again have to travel to Calicut due to a family emergencry.

Why would you downshift to first unless starting from a stop?
Because the maual says so, if I understood it corectly
vijuvarghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 09:42   #1654
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I did Bagalore - Kanyakumari - Kovalam - Bangalore total distance 1494 Km this weekend. Vehicle behaved properly it was a high speed run throuh out On NH7 from Madurai onwards drove at the top speed that is speedo showing 160 Kmph.

After the return i am observing erratic idle RPM the RPM needle fluctuates during idleling, This problem first surfaced at 12000 KM and was evidient only at the cold start then A.S.S ( Concord ) Motors replaced the injector washer suspecting a leak , problem went away for some 250 km and I took it back to A.S.S and this time a HP Fuel line and Injector Nozzel was replaced. After this 1494Km run now the problem has increased on the Cold start needle fluctuates from 800 to 1200 RPM very wildly with puffs of white smoke and ghrr - ghrr sound and when engine warms up then also the needle keeps fluctuating albit over a narrower range like 800 - 850 - 800 RPM.
Still there is no impact on drivability

As I have been to A.S.S ( Concord motors) twice for the same issue
Seeing the history of TSK1979's Safari I think this problem is not solvable by local A.S.S and I need to rope in TML.

Can someone please provide customer care / grevience e-mail id of TML south zone ?

Regards
Amit
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 14:40   #1655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hi,

After the return i am observing erratic idle RPM the RPM needle fluctuates during idleling, This problem first surfaced at 12000 KM and was evidient only at the cold start then A.S.S ( Concord ) Motors replaced the injector washer suspecting a leak , problem went away for some 250 km and I took it back to A.S.S and this time a HP Fuel line and Injector Nozzel was replaced. After this 1494Km run now the problem has increased on the Cold start needle fluctuates from 800 to 1200 RPM very wildly with puffs of white smoke and ghrr - ghrr sound and when engine warms up then also the needle keeps fluctuating albit over a narrower range like 800 - 850 - 800 RPM.

Seeing the history of TSK1979's Safari I think this problem is not solvable by local A.S.S and I need to rope in TML.

Can someone please provide customer care / grevience e-mail id of TML south zone ?

Regards
Amit
I faced the same problem with my 2.2, about an year and half back.
The TASS adviser indicated the same to probably spurious quality of diesel (mix of kerosene).

Changed the fuel pump - and haven't experienced the same since then.

Regards,

Ishlesh
Ishlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 13:32   #1656
BHPian

Default post no.1574

Rahul,
Cudn't figure out the exact point from where diesel is leaking... still.. as you reffering the rail area, better get it checked soon...
whatever the case is... there should not be leakage of diesel.. not even a drop! Esp, when its common rail system.

Last edited by nikkibike : 3rd January 2010 at 13:35.
nikkibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:47   #1657
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi,

I did Bagalore - Kanyakumari - Kovalam - Bangalore total distance 1494 Km this weekend. Vehicle behaved properly it was a high speed run throuh out On NH7 from Madurai onwards drove at the top speed that is speedo showing 160 Kmph.

Regards
Amit
Tell them to do compression test on the engine. If compression is low(20 instead of 24-25) you could be up for a head/engine change!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 16:08   #1658
BHPian

Hi,

On a recent trip back from B'lore to A'bad, the speedo on my Safari GX touched 160km/hr

I always thought that the speed was electronically limited to 150km/hr.

Could the retrofitting have anything to do with this ?
umang dutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 17:05   #1659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post
Safari GX touched 160km/hr ... limited to 150km/hr...Could the retrofitting ...
No, you just discovered what is specified in the user manual. Refer page number 101- technical specifications section in your Safari Dicor User manual. Pasting the excerpts below for ready reference.

Name:  safaritopspeedspecs.JPG
Views: 547
Size:  8.6 KB

I am glad, I can answer so many queries just by reading the user manual.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 7th January 2010 at 17:10. Reason: typo
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 12:21   #1660
Senior - BHPian

Just to update on my RPM needle fluctuation issue , The idle fluctuation on warm engine has gone with tank near to empty but it remains on cold engine.

So I wrote to Tata motors with details of problem and also told that I am not in hurry for solution and do not want multiple trial an errors but need a full an final solution. Got a call from them with in 5 minutes they told that they will do proper solution and finally couple of days back a person from Concord picked Safari from my office and gave me a replacement 4X4 Safari ( 3.0 L Dicor) so I am not in hurry to return ;-) it for obvious reasons.

Meanwhile Today TM senior people and Delphi is looking in to the issue following the debugging list starting from Compression check today but I am in my office still , Will pay them a visit sometime today.
Old 8th January 2010, 18:50   #1661
BHPian

All Safari Owners,
I bought Safari on Oct 09, and its manufactured in August 09 (as told by Showroom person). i have two querries.
1. How to know manufacturing date.
2. Is there any retro fitting being done for this batch.

although my vehicle is running fine, with very few niggles. I was just curious for above mentioned points.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 16:17   #1662
Senior - BHPian

Update on RPM needle fluctuation issue

I talked over the phone to Concord and SA informed that compression was 21 and it is in normal range that made me worried , I was stuck with work so I went to Concord on Saturday this time around the service adviser insist that compression was indeed 25.5 and 21 was told on the phone in error.
I really do not know how this kind of error is possible but I have no definite way to say if the first information on 21 was correct or not.

He showed me a sample of Diesel from my tank about which he talked on phone earlier which was bluish green in color and insist that kerosene adulteration was the issue and now they have cleaned the whole CR lines and Delphi has checked injectors and everything is OK now.

He showed my by cranking the engine the engine there was no jump in RPM but I have this hunch that the issue may come back after 250 - 500 km.

He has kept the vehicle for one more day so he will test again by cold starting on Monday. So next course of action is to fill up the tank and shell and drive around for some 500 Km to check if it was indeed adulterated fuel.
Old 12th January 2010, 13:37   #1663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update on RPM needle fluctuation issue
Thanks Rahulk76 , Dadu and TSK1979 for your inputs on this

Took the delivery of my Safari today and returned their 4X4 3.0 Dicor which I got as replacement vehicle, I can really appreciate now why one should buy a 4X4 and what a 4X4 Safari can do and also how refined 2.2 VTT engine is compared to 3.0 Dicor.

As per Service Adviser the problem may have been due to adulterated fuel ( blue color in sample shown to me suggests Kerosene) , I filled the fuel at Arvakuruchiy on NH7 150 Km before Salem on NH7 and drove around 350 KM till Bangalore nonstop at about 120 ~ 140 Kmph. So if it was kerosene it is amazing performance out of kerosene.

T.A.S.S cleaned complete Common Rail system , Fuel was drained from the tank and 10 Liter diesel was filled by TASS.

Delphi engineers checked the injectors and found them to be ok , back pressure test ( do not know what it is ) and reading of parameters from ECU ( using ODBII) was done to check injectors.

No manual Injector cleaning was done Service Adviser also told me that Delphi does not recommend manual injector cleaning but just replace them if they are clogged where as Bosch injectors used in MJD engine ( Manza , vista , Fiat) can be cleaned.

I asked again and again about the Compression thing but he assured that compression is OK, I asked if the compression test was done on cold engine when I see the problem or on warm engine,
He told as per TML procedure compression test has to be done at 60 degree Cel.

As of now I am not seeing any RPM needle fluctuation so S.A told me to observe and provide feedback if problem reappears.

Also he recommended injector cleaner either BFG44 ( Out of stock) or Bardhal after this incidence to added Bardhal Diesel additive ( 300 Rs) , Full bottle was added to tankful.

As per service adviser TML recommends Diesel Additive Injector cleaners in Dicor engine else he would not have recommended it.

I had to pay only for Diesel filled and Additive I purchased from them.
Old 12th January 2010, 13:55   #1664
BHPian

Quote:
...nonstop at about 120 ~ 140 Kmph. So if it was kerosene it is amazing performance out of kerosene.
Got to be. It is used to fly aircraft .
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 14:46   #1665
BHPian

Default Strange Sound - Mystery

Hey all,

I noticed something very strange on my Hulk. Whenever I take a complete U turn (right) at a specific road, specific intersection in Gurgaon, I hear a loud sound from underneath. At the same spot if I take a wider U turn, there is no sound. There is nothing on the road that could brush the belly. The sound does not come anywhere else on any other road. Its just that road, that spot. It has happened a few times now and I can't figure out what or why. Rideon was with me the other day, when we heard the sound. We came back to the same spot and took a wider turn and there was no sound.

BJ, does the manual say anything about this?? kiddin!! Btw howz your mean machine.
ItMyLife is offline   Reply With Quote