Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:56   #1831
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,132
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
An Achilles heel of the Safari 4x4 from the good old days (TCIC & prior). Check my ownership thread - I had a problem which Dhingra couldn't diagnose or solve. That is how I found my way to Autolinks & Atul. They fixed it.

By the way, I hear that the 4x4 experts of ABS are now back at Autolinks - may be a good idea going back to Autolinks
Suman ji.. possible to post the shortkut to that info on your thread ?
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:16   #1832
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Yikees!!! Hope things have changed for the good from then!
LOL, keep your fingers crossed, doesn't sound like it has
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Suman ji.. possible to post the shortkut to that info on your thread ?
Here you go Rahul but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, its a 4x4 issue -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post980655

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1102425

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1231508

Last edited by suman : 3rd March 2010 at 15:20.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:13   #1833
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,841
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
LOL, keep your fingers crossed, doesn't sound like it has ...
You know what, just today morning I had a similar situation where I had to cross my fingers and hunt for a 4 leaf clover, for good measure. That worked out well, but this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
...Here you go Rahul but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, its a 4x4 issue -...
Well, there goes my sleep!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 12:13   #1834
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 154
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
An Achilles heel of the Safari 4x4 from the good old days (Petrol & TCIC). Check my ownership thread - I had a problem which Dhingra couldn't diagnose or solve. Started around 35k kms. That is how I found my way to Autolinks & Atul. They fixed it (initial fix with spacers etc didn't work so they changed pretty much everything inside the diff).

By the way, I hear that the 4x4 experts of ABS are now back at Autolinks - may be a good idea going back to Autolinks
Hi Suman, is it Autolinks, Gurgaon? If so can you let me know the right person with his contact number(4x4 experts)? The guys at ABS have placed an order for the part. I guess they are going to replace the whole thing. But its been more them 2 weeks since they place an order with Pune. Spoke to Ashok Malik today morning. As usual, "I will get back Sir". Do help, Suman.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 12:30   #1835
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
Hi Suman, is it Autolinks, Gurgaon? If so can you let me know the right person with his contact number(4x4 experts)? The guys at ABS have placed an order for the part. I guess they are going to replace the whole thing. But its been more them 2 weeks since they place an order with Pune. Spoke to Ashok Malik today morning. As usual, "I will get back Sir". Do help, Suman.
Arjun, the 4x4 experts I'm referring to are the technicians (there were a couple of them - Vinod & Rakesh) who had left Autolinks Gurgaon & joined ABS & have now come back to Autolinks.

You should speak to the Service Advisors at Autolinks Gurgaon (maybe Guru or Simon Debnath, I've PMed you their numbers) or maybe their Works Manager (Anil Vashisht) and see if you make better headway. Normally, for any major differential job, they would be getting in touch with Dana Spicer (locally) so I'm not sure why its taking ABS two weeks.

Last edited by suman : 4th March 2010 at 12:36.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 15:41   #1836
Newbie
 
Explorer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I have tata safari 2008 model

I too face the similar problem like the one mentoined in this thread. It makez whistle kinda noise when i am trying to pick from 1st to second gear and secondly there is some krrr kinda noise from behind. which all the mechanics failed to figure out. plzzzz lemme know if there is a way to get of this problem
Explorer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 17:09   #1837
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,575
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer008 View Post
I have tata safari 2008 model

I too face the similar problem like the one mentoined in this thread. It makez whistle kinda noise when i am trying to pick from 1st to second gear and secondly there is some krrr kinda noise from behind. which all the mechanics failed to figure out. plzzzz lemme know if there is a way to get of this problem

Whistle = turbo spool sound?

krr-krr = EGR sound?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 17:15   #1838
BHPian
 
yogeshnaik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 311
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

If this whistle sound is prominent or starts at above 1800 - 2000 rpm, then it should be turbo. Check the bearings oil supply lines of the Turbo Intercooler.
yogeshnaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 18:04   #1839
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer008 View Post
I have tata safari 2008 model

I too face the similar problem like the one mentoined in this thread. It makez whistle kinda noise when i am trying to pick from 1st to second gear and secondly there is some krrr kinda noise from behind. which all the mechanics failed to figure out. plzzzz lemme know if there is a way to get of this problem
A machine is bound to make few sounds frankly you are noticing them because rest of the engine is relatively silent unlike older diesels.

There is no problem the Whistle noise is turbo spool noise , The kharr Kharr Sound is opening and closing sound of 70mm EGR valve , Later this was replaced by a 90mm EGR which does not make this sound. I think the size of valve was changed in middle of the year because my June 2008 Safari does not have it.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 10:24   #1840
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 154
Thanked: Once
Default Differential Replacement

Thanks Suman. Finally got my vehicle back from Autolinks.

Gave it on the 4th afternoon and received it on 6th evening. The following things were replaced -
1) Pin Roller - Rs.7.11
2) Retainer Wh Brg Inn D/S - Rs.336.67
3) Oil Seal - Rs.1,002.67
4) Shaft Diffl Std - Rs.272.67
5) Track Lock Kit - Rs.3,537.78
6) Differential Oil DA-90 Spicer - Rs.578.84
7) Labour - Rs.1,200/-
TOTAL with TAX - Rs.7,789.80

Amount paid by me Rs.1,790/-. Rest was taken care by the extended warranty.

Drove on Sunday and Monday. Heard a strange rubbing sound from under carriage. On Tuesday it became worse. Now it was a loud thak sound from the back when put into reverse. Over and above this the ABS was over sensitive. Even at 20 km with normal/gradual braking there was groaning sound. Took it back to Autolinks on Tuesday. (Suman's beast was still standing there.) On examination it was found that some bearing in the left back wheel had gone kaput and oil was leaking. And it was one of the new parts.

Anyway it was repalced and now the sound has gone. Apparently all 4x4's do have some problem in their differential. So guys keep your ears on full alert. If you face the same problem get it replaced before the warranty expires.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 10:31   #1841
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
Thanks Suman. Finally got my vehicle back from Autolinks.

Took it back to Autolinks on Tuesday. (Suman's beast was still standing there.)
Glad to hear the problem's been resolved Arjun! Ya, my Beast will probably be ready this evening - the Steering Box took a hell of a long time to arrive!!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 11:42   #1842
BHPian
 
sidcruise79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 122
Thanked: Once
Default

I dont know whether this is the appropriate forum for this query, but still here goes. I recently saw a brand new safari on the road with a small blue colored BS4 logo. What modifications have TML made on these new safari's?
sidcruise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 11:53   #1843
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,610
Thanked: 14,894 Times
Default

Water cooled EGR. Details in the Safari 2010 thread.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 21:09   #1844
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,132
Thanked: 204 Times
Default Jerks Issue ~ root cause identified

My 2.2 clutch assembly was replaced by the experts at Pune. Apparently they found issues with pressure plate. Now day 1 was pretty smooth.. wow like santro clutch..day 10 more like same as before . Anyways, that has taken care 60% of the mysterious jerks i used to experience and now until next 5000kms.. i will reserve my judgment. There is whine when i press the clutch when changing from 1st to 2nd gear.. (new clutch ???release bearing already kaput kya or else love it)

Explanation given was that the resonance frequency of pressure plate viz a viz that of engine wasnt matching and there was difference..( i didnt completely understand that part).

So much for the wrong diagnosis from day 1..injectors etc etc.. unnecessarily changed..hope they learn


Now.. I hate to ask this but what the heck has the freq resonance of clutch pressure plate to do with the jerks ?

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 13th March 2010 at 21:25.
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 22:17   #1845
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
My 2.2 clutch assembly was replaced by the experts at Pune. Apparently they found issues with pressure plate. Now day 1 was pretty smooth.. wow like santro clutch..day 10 more like same as before . Anyways, that has taken care 60% of the mysterious jerks i used to experience and now until next 5000kms.. i will reserve my judgment. There is whine when i press the clutch when changing from 1st to 2nd gear.. (new clutch ???release bearing already kaput kya or else love it)

Explanation given was that the resonance frequency of pressure plate viz a viz that of engine wasnt matching and there was difference..( i didnt completely understand that part).

So much for the wrong diagnosis from day 1..injectors etc etc.. unnecessarily changed..hope they learn


Now.. I hate to ask this but what the heck has the freq resonance of clutch pressure plate to do with the jerks ?
Most safari's after Clutch changes get the "khat" sound while changing gears, heard with the windows down very clearly. You need to watch out for that.

When the frquency of the engine exactly matches the frequency of the metal used in the chasis body, its creates a strong vibration, example can be seen in the old public buses when the whole body shakes with the engine resonance, dont remember the exact term now, read it during my school days.

Based on our coversation, I believe they would have changed the flywheel also along with the clutch assembly.

Rest doesnt make sense, fan doesnt work all the time and only when it goes beyond the desired temp.

Are they trying to tell us that they measure the resonance of each clutch plate with the engine on the assembly lines, I doubt it.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks