Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th April 2010, 08:51   #1996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyurshah View Post
For Safari 2.2, the third service would be at 30K.

1st - 5K
2nd- 15K
3rd - 30K
4th - 45K
5th - 60K (last free service)
Above info is old

The new service schedule is in place since last year mid. Attached is the manual stating so at this link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1362442
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 10:52   #1997
BHPian

Thanks for the update Sir!!!

I relied on the info from my Safari Manual, which I guess has since been changed as you mention
keyurshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 12:46   #1998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Have same issue of air fresh air when in recirculating mode.

And unlike BJ, but like TSK, the vent is working. Can hear the motor working when activated, but still outside smell flows into the cabin.

Will try the complete sealing way. I had once removed that plastic grill from just one side to clear up dried flowers.
Add me to the list. When brought up with TASS guys, the reply was - 'Why do you need outside air saar... it is always dusty and polluted. You should use A/C 100% of the time'.
cool_dube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 12:50   #1999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
In the Safari I think its the door beadings that are the culprits.
I agree. This also explains the high levels of cabin noise (read poor insulation) around and above 100 kmph. When brought up with TASS, the reply was - 'That is how they have designed it saar... we tried replacing the entire beading set twice on many Safaris but the noise is still there'. Some feedback for TML I guess.
Old 13th April 2010, 13:08   #2000
Team-BHP Support

I don't mind using internal air all the time. The problem is that dust comes in even when on internal circulation mode. My search for the vent on the firewall(towards engine side) has come out as a blank. If I can find where is this hole, I will buy the cheapest air filter in the market and stick it there with superglue.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 13th April 2010 at 13:13.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 13:18   #2001
Senior - BHPian

^^ The door beading is also one of the culprits! At good speeds, you will get a slight air flow from that location. Have read many attempts being performed on few of the vehicles here with not much of luck. Been thinking of a DIY for sometime now, though not sure how the approach should be!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 13:29   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I don't mind using internal air all the time. The problem is that dust comes in even when on internal circulation mode.
Ditto for me. After hearing the words of wisdom from TASS, I insisted on getting the thing fixed. They did some fiddling around and then declared that they have 'taken care' but I was advised to not operate (read 'open') the vent again lest it might disturb the delicate neutral equilibrium and I might get outside air/smell/dust/pollution despite the vent being closed as it might not shut back properly!!!! So the vent on my Safari is resting in peace ever since and whenever I want fresh air, I simply roll down the windows. And it has worked!!!! So I do not intend to operate the vent again as advised by the wise ones at TASS!
Old 13th April 2010, 14:12   #2003
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTviN View Post
Thanks amitk26 and bj96.

I completely missed out this angle. May be the reason is, there was no visible oxidation and in the last service the terminals were greesed/oiled. I will remove the terminals and clean them myself.
Continuing the post for my earlier engine starting problem....

I finally decided to give it to TASS. When I explained the radio on off, head light dim dip, the TASS electrician immediately ruled out loose battery connection reason. He also said that it could be either the starter, alternator or wiring harness. The vehicle is still in TASS. They have already done the following:

1. They had the TVS-Lucas engineers check the alternator. No faults found. (Thats a good news!!!). But the service advisor still insists that even TVS-Lucas peole cant check apart from the output current and voltage. This sounds little absurd. There must be some tests they can do. He says that if the problem is in initial stages it is very difficult to identify.

2. They disconnected all wiring de-rusted the terminals and put back. No problems found here also.

3. They have found a short circuit in the starter. They have sent it to TVS-Lucas for repair.

I hope their analysis is right and i dont end up stranded on a highway with engine refusing to start. Fortunately I have taken up the membership of MyTVS on road assistance...
NiTviN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 15:06   #2004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Most safari's after Clutch changes get the "khat" sound while changing gears, heard with the windows down very clearly. You need to watch out for that.
I do hear this KHAT noise while I engage reverse gear and 1st gear in the morning. But it does not cause any problem.

I do hear a vibration/ resonance on 2 occasions;
1. when i fail to downshift to the required gear and continue dragging on the same higher gear.
2. At speeds above 140kph.

In the first case , its solved by shifting to the right gear and in the second case, its nore a combi of wind noise and resonance i guess. On a recent trip, I was flat out on the Baroda expressway at night at speeds above 140kph from the start to the end on the expressway, and I did hear lot of wind noise. Not sure if there was resonance.

I have 2 questions: does the KHAT indicate a problem? what problem?
Is the vibes/ resonance abnormal? Dont the other Safari's have it?
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 20:57   #2005
BHPian

Quote:

Even I hear the KHAT sound when engaging gears. I dont know since when it started as I drive mostly with AC on and windows rolled up, but recently a few times when I was doing parking in my building I heard this sound for first time. And then have heard this a few times again.

@ dadu - Please do let us know what problem does this indicate. Have you been able to get any opinion from TASS on this. My car service is due for June and no major trip planned in this period. Was wondering if I can wait till then or do I need to rush to TASS to have this fixed.??
keyurshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 14:30   #2006
BHPian

Default smooth gear shift

My experience has been that if clutch is engaged slowly (instead of a sudden release of the pedal) and with foot completely off accelerator pedal, I get a smooth shift all gears, both while upshifting and downshifting in right RPM/speeds. I do not get any jerks, jumps, or sounds. Throttle is applied only when clutch pedal is released fully. Even the slightest pressure on throttle would result in a feel 'jerk' from transmission.

But I feel the above will not suit aggressive driving styles.

I too hear a sound at times while moving off in the morning or while engaging 1st, but yet to figure out if it is the same sound as described by dadu.
vijuvarghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 15:13   #2007
BHPian

+1 to that. I too use the same procedure while changing gears and there is no jerkso is teh case in the Pajero. In petrol vehicles however the clutch release and pressing of teh accelerator can be done simultaneously without getting a jerk. So I guess this is the case with all higher capacity diesel engines. Others also please throw some light on this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuvarghese View Post
My experience has been that if clutch is engaged slowly (instead of a sudden release of the pedal) and with foot completely off accelerator pedal, I get a smooth shift all gears, both while upshifting and downshifting in right RPM/speeds. I do not get any jerks, jumps, or sounds. Throttle is applied only when clutch pedal is released fully. Even the slightest pressure on throttle would result in a feel 'jerk' from transmission.

But I feel the above will not suit aggressive driving styles.

I too hear a sound at times while moving off in the morning or while engaging 1st, but yet to figure out if it is the same sound as described by dadu.
sidcruise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 15:35   #2008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyurshah View Post
@ dadu - Please do let us know what problem does this indicate. Have you been able to get any opinion from TASS on this. My car service is due for June and no major trip planned in this period. Was wondering if I can wait till then or do I need to rush to TASS to have this fixed.??
Quote:
I do hear this KHAT noise while I engage reverse gear and 1st gear in the morning. But it does not cause any problem.

No problem as of now, in the long term, dont know.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:08   #2009
BHPian

Hi Guys,

The sedimenter light in my safari keeps glowing off and on now and then. I tried draining the water but wasn't able to do. I took it to TASS and they said that rings used to loosen or tighten the thing have gone bad and I would have to change the whole sedimenter assembly. I was told the new sedimenter would cost around 4500 bucks. Will this be covered under warranty?
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:14   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Draining the sedimenter is a very difficult task. BUt uve got to get yourself dirty lying down to be able to work on it.
Do try once again DIY if its not covered under warranty.
How old is your Safari ? I feel this should be covered under warranty since this isnt a rubber part nor a consumable like clutch plates.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote