Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:02   #2131
BHPian
 
arijit.co.in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 68
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Whats the error code ?? if you can check again.

It was a good decision to not let them open up the Gearbox.
thanks dadu. well i didn't really notice the error codes, will take it down the next time i see it. i do remember the suggestions by the software, step 1, check the sensors, step 2 replace instrument cluster, step 3, replace ECU and so on.
arijit.co.in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:04   #2132
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit.co.in View Post
thanks dadu. well i didn't really notice the error codes, will take it down the next time i see it. i do remember the suggestions by the software, step 1, check the sensors, step 2 replace instrument cluster, step 3, replace ECU and so on.
If they have already tried with replacing the VSS, I am suspecting the instrument cluster, but the codes do give an indication.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:08   #2133
BHPian
 
arijit.co.in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 68
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
If they have already tried with replacing the VSS, I am suspecting the instrument cluster, but the codes do give an indication.
no brother. not even the instrument cluster. that too was replaced but to no use. suspect anything ?? please help, i seriously don't want to open up my gearbox at this age.
arijit.co.in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 11:26   #2134
BHPian
 
slicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 63
Thanked: 14 Times
Default 2 Issues found in PDI

Hi BHPians,

I had booked my GX 4X4 on 30th Apr, and went for the pre registration PDI yesterday to the Bhiwandi Yard of TML.

There are two issues that i came across in the car
  1. AC blower not functioning at the feet only mode, this was at all speeds, this is a common problem for all Safaris and Concorde has told me that they will fix it by adjusting the mat.
  2. Panel gaps on the rear bumper - There are gaps (more pronounced on the left side) about 10 inches from the point the bumper starts after the wheel arch. While the right side one goes in and out with the rear door opening and closing, the left side one is a constant. The yard person told me that is a common problem on all Safaris and they cannot do anything about it. I saw 2-3 safaris on my way back and none of them had this. Pls refer picture
Pls suggest how I can resolve this. I called up the sales guy this morning, and told him I want this fixed.

Should I let it be and not fuss on it too much, or insist that they fix it, even if it means replacing the bumper. The problem is every time I went to the back of the car my eyes would end up on that particular spot

Expert opinions solicited.

Cheers
Slicks
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-gap.jpg  

slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 11:44   #2135
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks View Post
  1. AC blower not functioning at the feet only mode, this was at all speeds, this is a common problem for all Safaris and Concorde has told me that they will fix it by adjusting the mat.
not experienced it , Ask them to explain how possibaly mats can obstruct ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks View Post
  1. Panel gaps on the rear bumper - There are gaps (more pronounced on the left side) about 10 inches from the point the bumper starts after the wheel arch. While the right side one goes in and out with the rear door opening and closing, the left side one is a constant. The yard person told me that is a common problem on all Safaris and they cannot do anything about it. I saw 2-3 safaris on my way back and none of them had this. Pls refer picture
If you want that fixed put your foot down , They can fix it actully but I guess will be too lazy to do that , The side cladding panel is fixed using small nuts and screws from inside and one of them is missing.

Their body works guy definitely know how to do it. As of now they will try to shoo you away by saying that it will be done in first service but be firm and tell them do it now or give me another vehicle and they will do it.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 15:11   #2136
BHPian
 
arijit.co.in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 68
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks View Post
Hi BHPians,

I had booked my GX 4X4 on 30th Apr, and went for the pre registration PDI yesterday to the Bhiwandi Yard of TML.

There are two issues that i came across in the car
  1. AC blower not functioning at the feet only mode, this was at all speeds, this is a common problem for all Safaris and Concorde has told me that they will fix it by adjusting the mat.
  2. Panel gaps on the rear bumper - There are gaps (more pronounced on the left side) about 10 inches from the point the bumper starts after the wheel arch. While the right side one goes in and out with the rear door opening and closing, the left side one is a constant. The yard person told me that is a common problem on all Safaris and they cannot do anything about it. I saw 2-3 safaris on my way back and none of them had this. Pls refer picture
Pls suggest how I can resolve this. I called up the sales guy this morning, and told him I want this fixed.

Should I let it be and not fuss on it too much, or insist that they fix it, even if it means replacing the bumper. The problem is every time I went to the back of the car my eyes would end up on that particular spot

Expert opinions solicited.

Cheers
Slicks

congrats brother !!

regarding the panel gaps, this is present in mine too. actually, on day 1 i was trying to park this in a very cramped space and relied totally on the reverse sensors. little did i know that these sensors are placed on the inner side and cannot detect something towards the corner of the vehicle. the windows were rolled up and i was reversing the vehicle with the help of the sensors and the ORVMs. Also, the safari ORVM is different from my Bolero - things are actually closer than they appear in the mirror. i was not aware of this either.

so while reversing, the mirror showed enough distance from a wall and the sensors didn't detect anything. just then, i heard a soft thud. got down to check and well, the driver side rear fog lamp got broken and its outer edges on the rear bumper cracked.

later when i took it to TASS, they could fix everything. the vehicle looked nothing different from a new one. but, the right side of the rear bumper wore the gap between the panel, which yours wear now. this could not be made up as the bumper being a made of fibre, when it hit the wall behind, it bended a little form behind. this made the sides to pronounce a bit.

well, i am not saying, the same has happened with yours but there are possibilities.
arijit.co.in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 16:04   #2137
BHPian
 
slicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 63
Thanked: 14 Times
Default the other side

Thanks Arijit.

Actually, that was the first thing that came on my mind too, that the car would have hit something (may be something soft, so there is no damage on the body) and the bumper has got the gap.

Then i looked at the other side and then saw it there as well, to my mind if it would have hit something it would only be on the impacted side and not on the other. Pls refer the right side pic.

So i think it is a case of bad fixing of the bumper, and as amit said may be loose nuts, i don't even want to think on the lines of the car being hit

May be looking at the other side pic might give you guys some more clarity.

Cheers
Slicks
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-gap_right.jpg  

slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 17:54   #2138
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

@Slicks, dont bother now, ask them to tighten the bumper during first service but also be aware too much of tight fitment sometimes leads to the rear door scraping the bumper from the inside while operating the door.

I was also surprised since the GX does not have dual tone colour, do you have an option nowdays not to choose one.

Last edited by dadu : 25th May 2010 at 17:57.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 18:01   #2139
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,606
Thanked: 14,880 Times
Default

I have a funny problem. Not sure if its a problem
when vehicle is idling, the drivers side ORVM has vibrations such that I can see the traffic vibrating. Left ORVM does not vibrate at all.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 18:56   #2140
BHPian
 
slicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 63
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
@Slicks, dont bother now, ask them to tighten the bumper during first service but also be aware too much of tight fitment sometimes leads to the rear door scraping the bumper from the inside while operating the door.

I was also surprised since the GX does not have dual tone colour, do you have an option nowdays not to choose one.
Thanks dadu!

I am also a bit concerned that I should not push them to fix it too much and end up making it worse.

Well, the GX is available in single tone in pearl white, diamond white, and i guess gold, the other colors like quartz black are offered in 2 tone ONLY.

In fact this made my decision simpler, as i did not want a two tone and hence quartzs black was completely ruled out.

Any suggestions on the feet only blower bit guys? If someone has already gotten it fixed in their car, I can may be just copy paste the solution here.
slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 00:07   #2141
BHPian
 
arijit.co.in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 68
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks View Post
Thanks Arijit.

Actually, that was the first thing that came on my mind too, that the car would have hit something (may be something soft, so there is no damage on the body) and the bumper has got the gap.

Then i looked at the other side and then saw it there as well, to my mind if it would have hit something it would only be on the impacted side and not on the other. Pls refer the right side pic.

So i think it is a case of bad fixing of the bumper, and as amit said may be loose nuts, i don't even want to think on the lines of the car being hit

May be looking at the other side pic might give you guys some more clarity.

Cheers
Slicks
well i guess you got it right. possibilities of misfitting.
arijit.co.in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 03:34   #2142
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have a funny problem. Not sure if its a problem
when vehicle is idling, the drivers side ORVM has vibrations such that I can see the traffic vibrating. Left ORVM does not vibrate at all.
i have the same problem and its very irritating so sometimes i used to give some gas to actually avoid seeing this.

and this started happening when i got my ORVM fixed.

its the glass which becomes loose and starts vibrating and might have become loose after some impact as it happened in my case.

let me know if you find a solution.

good luck.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 09:34   #2143
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,841
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
...I was also surprised since the GX does not have dual tone colour, do you have an option nowdays not to choose one.
A lesser shared fact is that you get GX is all color variants and not only in dual tone. The sales people will convince you that you get only dual tone in GX, which is wrong. The fact is if you want dual tone, you need to take GX.

This was there from day one, but some how there came an unsaid understanding that GX is offered only in dual color.

No one noticed the wording "Two tone / body color" under GX column.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have a funny problem. Not sure if its a problem
when vehicle is idling, the drivers side ORVM has vibrations such that I can see the traffic vibrating. Left ORVM does not vibrate at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
...its the glass which becomes loose and starts vibrating and might have become loose after some impact as it happened in my case...
Did you guys try opening up the unit and checking if there is something that is not right enough?

Last edited by HappyWheels : 26th May 2010 at 09:36.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 09:52   #2144
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 766
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks View Post
Any suggestions on the feet only blower bit guys?
Probably simple issue of air deflector vanes not being properly fit/closing.

Why do you want a cold feet? Don't bother too much as long it is able to keep your head cool

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 11:23   #2145
BHPian
 
slicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 63
Thanked: 14 Times
Default GX Colors

[quote=HappyWheels;1905428]A lesser shared fact is that you get GX is all color variants and not only in dual tone. The sales people will convince you that you get only dual tone in GX, which is wrong. The fact is if you want dual tone, you need to take GX.

This was there from day one, but some how there came an unsaid understanding that GX is offered only in dual color.

No one noticed the wording "Two tone / body color" under GX column.

Following is my e mail exchange with TML, i had written to the western region office on the mail id mentioned on the Safari website.

from
to info@safaridicor.com
date Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:39 PM
subject Information on the GX Model
mailed-by gmail.com

Hi,

My name is Slicks and I am based in Mumbai.

I was looking to buy a new Tata Safari as my next vehicle.

While i have got most of the information needed from the safari website and through my visit to a couple of Tata Motors dealers, there is one question that i need clarity on.

I am looking at buying the GX version (not decided whether 4x2 or 4x4), in quartz black color.

I am told that the GX version comes only in two tone (quartz black and real earth), i would like to know if i can buy the car in single tone quartz black (like EX or VX).

Regards

from uvpmg@tatamotors.com
to
date Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:17 AM
subject RE: Information on the GX Model
mailed-by tatamotors.com

Dear Sir,

We thank you for your mail and showing interest in our Safari Dicor GX model.

We would like to inform you that in GX model, the Quartz Black colour comes only in dual tone i.e. Quartz Black and Real Earth.

The single colours available on GX model are as given below.

* Arctic White
* Arctic Silver
* Pearl White
* Walnut Gold

And the Dual tone colour combinations on GX are as given below

* Quartz Black – Real Earth
* Mountain Green – Real Earth
* Mineral Red – Real Earth
* Cycus Grey – Arctic Silver

Hope this will assist you in deciding upon the colour. In case you need any further information, please feel free to write to us.

Regards,
Product Group - Utility Vehicles
Tata Motors Ltd

Hi!

Thank you for the prompt reply and the inputs.

Basis the information you gave me i have two related queries:

1. Will the Pearl White GX model come with the new black interiors or will it get the beige interiors.
2. Is there is possibility of ordering a single tone quartz black GX at the time if booking and if TML will be able to accept such a request.

Regards

Dear Sir,

The new Safari GX comes with a Dark Graphite & Beige interior scheme with Tan colour in upholstery. For your reference an e brochure of the new Safari is attached which shows pictures of the interior.
Regarding possibility of ordering a single tone black colour in GX, we are sorry to inform you that it will not be possible for us to produce a single vehicle in full black colour. An image of the Quartz Black & Real Earth Safari is also attached to give you a fait idea.

Regards,
Product Group - Utility Vehicles
Tata Motors Ltd

Thanks for the information.
Really appreciate it.

Regards

Last edited by slicks : 26th May 2010 at 11:26.
slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks