Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th June 2010, 09:17   #2296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
I believe it could be a leak as well which isn't reaching the underside yet. Because oil in the turbo should give you smoke. Were you having any acceleration problems or unsual noises from the engine?

I had a problem with an oil leak. In my case, they replaced all the oil seals worth almost Rs 8,000, but only after a letter to the regional manager.

This problem came around 38,000kms. Is this generic? Mine is a 2007 3.0-litre. But apart from that, my dicor has been fairly reliable. Little niggles do come and go but haven't threatened it's roadworthiness. Another thing to note, I had just shifted to Delo 400 from Chevron. Don't know if the seals were from the new oil, but have shifted back to the Tata standard.

Extended warranty replacements include all oil seals, rear window winder motor, headlamp leveler and starter repair (the starter was my fault). I can safely say mine has been running quite well and has never left me stranded even on cross country drives. This especially if you consider the horror stories of the initial batches of the 2.2.

But with Tatas you do have to take extra care and keep an eagle eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

Drifter
If reliability means not being stranded, my safari has never left me stranded even in the most obscure places of this country.

Regarding the oil dissapearing;
I had checked for smoke by following my Safari in another car with someone else driving my Safari, shifting gears at 3-3.5k rpm, but no smoke was visible.

The plates underside had no oil anywhere in the foam either which I had personally checked when I got a local mechanic to check for oil leak initially.

So i term it a oil disappearing rather than a leak. The oil was apparently entering the intercooler where it should not enter, according to the TASS.

This whole episode has left me quite confused.
With the new turbo, the Safari now feels less responsive now than it used to however... or maybe im dreaming.
It probably could be due to excess oil in the sump.
I have to get that checked today/ tomm.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 10:24   #2297
BHPian

I do not know whether I am posting at right place or not. If I am wrong then please delete this post. I own a Tata Sumo Grande. When I accelerate the car and the speed is around 60 there is a little vibration in the floor of the middle row. In last row it is more prominent. With vibration rattling sound also accompanies. Is this a natural phenomenon in all diesel cars or there is a problem in my car.
HappyRoadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 13:05   #2298
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
It probably could be due to excess oil in the sump.
I have to get that checked today/ tomm.
From the Swift Turbo fiascos mentioned in the forum, every drop of excess oil is going to make your turbo a time bomb.

Drain the excess oil as soon as possible.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 15:58   #2299
BHPian

Default 45,000 service

I will be getting my 45k service done soon.

What are the things that I need to look out for. I will check the service booklet for the regular stuffs.
As per the forum I need a ECU update for the turbo does not kick in at 1400 RPM. It kicks in much later. Mine is the first batch of 2.2's.
There is a khat noise that comes on releasing the clutch. Especially on hill roads this becomes quite audible while driving and changing the gear (1st & 2nd). Mine is a 4x4. Someone I met from this forum at Autolinks told me to get the 4x4 kit changed. Can someone explain and expand on this.
I am also planning to replace the tie rods and bush. Is this advisable and would this be under warranty. If not what would be the cost. I find the suspension on city road quite noisy and hard.
The centre pin needs to be greased as there is a khat noise on turning the steering when not in motion.

Any other look-outs. GURUS please advice. Thanks.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 16:36   #2300
Team-BHP Support

All suspension components cease to be under warranty once 35000kms are over.
Infact, I had to pay for bushes even at 31000 as they are rubber and come under "wear and tear".
Why do you want to replace them. Is there a problem?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 16:44   #2301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
I am also planning to replace the tie rods and bush. Is this advisable and would this be under warranty. If not what would be the cost. I find the suspension on city road quite noisy and hard.
Got it replaced under warranty twice ,should cost less then 2k for two
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 17:36   #2302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
All suspension components cease to be under warranty once 35000kms are over.
Infact, I had to pay for bushes even at 31000 as they are rubber and come under "wear and tear".
Why do you want to replace them. Is there a problem?
Like I said. Its quite hard and noisy. This gets onto ones nerve.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 13:02   #2303
BHPian

Default Safari Remote service ( MINDA )

Anyone needing service of the remote locking dongle like battery replacement etc., can contact their rep - Shafiq on 9538904232

Got the number from the Concorde Service center on Hosur Road.

Last edited by smsrini : 1st July 2010 at 13:05.
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 13:16   #2304
Team-BHP Support

Why do you need to call somebody to change battery. Buy a similar battery(most common battery in the market), and fix it yourself.
In Srinagar, our remote went kaput, I changed the battery myself.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 15:08   #2305
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you need to call somebody to change battery. Buy a similar battery(most common battery in the market), and fix it yourself.
TSK, its for those like me who are technically challenged , but still love our cars enough to be here. and even If I could do it, I would not find that tweeny little screwdriver required to open the dongle..

and for those times when the battery is good and the remote goes kaput.

cheers!
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 15:12   #2306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Anyone needing service of the remote locking dongle like battery replacement etc., can contact their rep - Shafiq on 9538904232

Got the number from the Concorde Service center on Hosur Road.
Quote:
Me too, changed it myself.

Unless it fries, then also they will order a new remote which needs to be trained for your locking system and can be done manually by you. Procedure is given in the manual supplied to you along with a mesh of cables.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 21:55   #2307
BHPian

Gurus please help me solve my problem that I have already mentioned on this page. It is urgent as I have to leave for a trip.
Old 1st July 2010, 22:50   #2308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Gurus please help me solve my problem that I have already mentioned on this page. It is urgent as I have to leave for a trip.
Get your grande's wheel balanced properly from a competent wheel alignment center at lucknow. that should considerably help, unless and until there is a severe mechanical issue.
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:47   #2309
BHPian

Hello Rahul, Thanks for supporting and I will definitely show it in some workshop. I would like to know whether anyone has experienced this type of vibration in Safari or Scorpio? I find it very strange.
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:13   #2310
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
It is urgent as I have to leave for a trip.
Could it be a loose silencer pipe?
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote