Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th July 2010, 17:47   #2371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi
The battery of my safari conked off at approx 40k kms and I changed to the same specification as the OEM battery. Paid 4300 approx for a new battery (this is after exchange for the old one)

BTW one issue plaguing my vehicle is when I brake hard the vehicles rear wheels lock itself and sometimes the rear portion of the car skids left or right, dangerously. It even skids at speeds of 70-80km/hr on hard braking. This was on dry surface and not on wet roads.
Any idea what could be the issue and what could I do to set it ok. The tyres have a decent enough tread left in them and should easily run for another 15k kms.
I keep a tyre PSI of 32 front and rear. Should I further reduce the rear tyre pressure? If so then by how much?
As the vehicles so lite on the rear, could this be the issue??
The problem is with setting of the brake liners. I got this issue immediately after service last month and took it to them next day. the found, one wheel was harder then the other. on opening they found a gap issue with a pin that hold the brakes. They opened it, cleaned it and fixed again and all good :-)
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 21:15   #2372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I don't remember where I downloaded this manual. For now, you can download it from here: http://219.91.155.36/SafariDicor.pdf
Offical download site for owner's manual of various Tata cars including Safari: Tata Motors Customer Care :: Owner's Manual
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 05:48   #2373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
The problem is with setting of the brake liners. I got this issue immediately after service last month and took it to them next day.
The issue in my case has been pestering me for the last many months!!!
Quote:
the found, one wheel was harder then the other.on opening they found a gap issue with a pin that hold the brakes. They opened it, cleaned it and fixed again and all good :-)
How did they come to this conclusion? Did they lift the vehicle on a ramp and then try rotating the wheels by hand?? Also the front or the rear wheels? In my case the rear wheels lockup.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 09:07   #2374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I don't remember where I downloaded this manual. For now, you can download it from here: http://219.91.155.36/SafariDicor.pdf
this is the owners manual, I need workshop manual, thats different.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 11:33   #2375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
The issue in my case has been pestering me for the last many months!!!

How did they come to this conclusion? Did they lift the vehicle on a ramp and then try rotating the wheels by hand?? Also the front or the rear wheels? In my case the rear wheels lockup.

yes they lifted it on a ramp and checked with hands....the front wheels were ok....the passenger side rear wheel was locking up and was harder than the rhs

Last edited by rajismine : 20th July 2010 at 11:36.
Old 21st July 2010, 00:11   #2376
Team-BHP Support

today I gave her at the workshop. Center pin bush is gone according to them.
Any idea how much for replacement?
She's done 50K, I think its a little too early for a center pin bush change maybe!
Old 21st July 2010, 10:14   #2377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
today I gave her at the workshop. Center pin bush is gone according to them.
Any idea how much for replacement?
She's done 50K, I think its a little too early for a center pin bush change maybe!
I had it changed; was included in the suspension work.

After the change no violent jerk when you accelerate suddenly ( like something is hitting something)
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 10:46   #2378
Team-BHP Support

Even tie rods will have to be changed. They are not covered under warranty since vehicle has done 50,000kms. They are covered only upto 35000kms
Looks like this time changes are going to be expensive!
Old 21st July 2010, 11:00   #2379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Even tie rods will have to be changed. They are not covered under warranty since vehicle has done 50,000kms. They are covered only upto 35000kms
Looks like this time changes are going to be expensive!
I got it changed once after 35k IIRC, I didnt pay for it.
IIRC, 3k for pin, 1600 for tie rods.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 12:17   #2380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Guys I need your help on Battery for my Tata Safari 3.0L

The car has run some 30,500 kms in last 3yr 10mnts. and the Amaron OEM battery is now showing its age.

Its almost dead in the morning but does start the car in two-three cranks...I am told it might risk the starter and alternator and hence need immediate replacement.

So suggest me this:

1.) Which is Better: Amaron or Exide?
2.) Which is Better: Amaron or Powerzone which is a Amaron brand itself or both will be same?
3.) What should be the approximate cost. I enquired about Amaron and I was told the MRP is 5300 and the cost will be Appx. 4500-4800 after taking my battery (replacement value Rs 400-500)

Is Rs4500 for Amaron with 2 yr. warranty good? (18 months replacement + 6 months xyz coverage)

Rajeev
Just for record in case someone in future is also looking for some info on battery prices:

I got Amaron Harvest 75AH battery with 2 yr warranty (18 mnth replacement + 6 mnth prorata). The MRP was Rs5300, the sale price was Rs5000, my old battery was valued at Rs500 and Paid a net of Rs 4500

Similar spec Exide was quote for Rs 4300-4400 but I wanted an exact replacement in my car as the OEM amaron gave me a gr8 life
Old 21st July 2010, 12:32   #2381
BHPian

Guys, sometimes, when I am engine braking the truck, and again on accelerating the clutch, I feel a jerk, like you feel in buses or bikes. ITs like when you press the accelrator something gets engages suddenly and car moves giving a jerk. I am not sure how to explain this. But I feel this jerking only sometimes and not all the time. IS it my bad driving skills or there is some problem?
ThE Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 12:33   #2382
Team-BHP Support

I have the same problem. Around 30K kms after changes the bushes it went away, but then it started coming again after around 7000kms of driving.
Old 21st July 2010, 13:47   #2383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE Godfather View Post
Guys, sometimes, when I am engine braking the truck, and again on accelerating the clutch, I feel a jerk, like you feel in buses or bikes. ITs like when you press the accelrator something gets engages suddenly and car moves giving a jerk. I am not sure how to explain this. But I feel this jerking only sometimes and not all the time. IS it my bad driving skills or there is some problem?
I'm not sure if this is the same problem you faced. When I'm cruising at 90-100 Kmph and when i take the foot of the accelerator for a brief sec or so and then press the accelerator, i could feel the jerk and this is a pronounced jerk. The speed would still be in the 90-100 kmph range.

When I took it to TASS, I was not able to reproduce the issue even after extensive run. The only thing I changed in between was to fill the diesel at my trusted pump and used system D. I'm not seeing the issue anymore.
bkishore_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 16:04   #2384
BHPian

Ok. You mean it is because of the low diesal quality? How frequent can I use the System D?
ThE Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 17:23   #2385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE Godfather View Post
Almost 80% of safaris I know have the same issue whether 3L or 2.2L :-(

Tata never get it right. Plople have given different opinions and finding but none of them came out to be a 100% solution:

1.) Bushes weak/ worn out. This had happened to me and I got them replaced and jerks were off but came back again in less than 1000 kms

2.) Faulty Fuel filter. Recently at 30K service I got this replaced. The problem went off completely for 2 days but then came back. Its less but still there

3.) Clutch adjustment...a design fault in the clutch balance itself. Rahulk76 found this out and seems most logical explanation to me so far and since its a design fault...no one can help it for now. He suggested me to get it opened and get it fixed more carefully and with correct balances but I dont want to risk my car with TASS any further...They might make it worse.

so just live with it....or rev high i.e. change gear at higher RPM and u wont feel any jerks.... It primarily happens in 2nd and third gear only when the rpm is below 1500...at least for me.