Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:07   #2491
BHPian
 
dkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 525
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
if its a hard water mark (whitish rough patch), you can try lemon, squeeze it over the mark and use a cloth to rub it out.
Thanks for the advise, dadu! Gave it a try sometime last week. Sadly, the stains seem permanent, as the above method didn't work.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:13   #2492
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default

@dkamath, good sanitary-ware shops have a liquid for removing hard-water deposits from chrome-plated taps. Get some of that liquid, apply it on some cotton-waste and leave it on for an hour or so. This should remove it without / with very little scrubbing.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:54   #2493
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Could anybody tell me the actual location of the drain holes, that are situated near the wiper or besides there?
Guys any replies?????
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:43   #2494
BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 959
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Thanks for the advise, dadu! Gave it a try sometime last week. Sadly, the stains seem permanent, as the above method didn't work.
Try easyoff bang. available in all supermkts. HOWEVER, please try it on a patch that is not very visible, to make sure it does not affect the paint.

You can also try scratchout or similar products that can remove hairline scratches from paint.

rgds
srini

Last edited by smsrini : 23rd August 2010 at 11:45.
smsrini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:50   #2495
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@dkamath, good sanitary-ware shops have a liquid for removing hard-water deposits from chrome-plated taps. Get some of that liquid, apply it on some cotton-waste and leave it on for an hour or so. This should remove it without / with very little scrubbing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Try easyoff bang. available in all supermkts. HOWEVER, please try it on a patch that is not very visible, to make sure it does not affect the paint.

You can also try scratchout or similar products that can remove hairline scratches from paint.
rgds
srini
I agree with Der Alte, Cif liquid(available at all ration stores) is the best amongst the easy of bangs, removes all kinds of Kitchen and bathroom stains but check first on any non-visible part before trying, it shouldnt scrape your paint off. At first try, dont keep it for long, just spread and wipe, see how much does it clean and then decide if you need to keep it for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Guys any replies?????
There are 2 drain holes for the water to exit at both ends below the black plastic assembly (below the wiper). You can see them if you open the Bonnet, you will see 2 black pipes at each corner being let loose.

Last edited by dadu : 23rd August 2010 at 12:55.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:13   #2496
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,829
Thanked: 2,943 Times
Default

@DKamath, did you try kitchen / bathroom cleaners that can be used on taps ?

I use hard water to wash the truck, but make sure that the chrome parts (Like the painted areas) are wiped dry. This ensures no spots remain.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 22:29   #2497
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

dkamath: Once I had a cement stain on fuel tank of my CBZ , removed it with toothpaste and an old toothbrush. Try toothpaste and follow it up using Formula 1 Scratch out
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 09:56   #2498
BHPian
 
dkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 525
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Thanks to all you guys for the advises! I feel humbled now and want to try all these out at the earliest.
The issue here is that its a plastic part (spoiler like thing that holds the outer LED brake lamps). A 3M guy at Concorde scrubbed it real hard with some liquid, to the extent that there's now a buff-like appearance around it, and on touching from then on, the spot seems to have blended well with the paint.
I got Cif liquid, and toothpaste too, hehe. Will try these out on a small portion of the affected area.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 22:44   #2499
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,575
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Could anybody tell me the actual location of the drain holes, that are situated near the wiper or besides there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I
There are 2 drain holes for the water to exit at both ends below the black plastic assembly (below the wiper). You can see them if you open the Bonnet, you will see 2 black pipes at each corner being let loose.
still leaks nicely !

Think it should be via the wiring harness. I am visiting the latest TASS, Mohan Das Motors for an oil change; will ask them.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 16:01   #2500
BHPian
 
Kairalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 145
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

In 2nd and 3rd gear (mostly in 3rd) when I accelerate steadily, at around 1500 rpm I noticed a jerk and then the Safari begins to pick up speed steadily. No problems after that. This happens occasionally and only when I am light footed on the accelerator.

After i shift from 2nd to 3rd, the RPM meter moves steadily from 1200 and just when it has reached ~1500 rpm, I feel this jerk, like its losing power just for a moment and then its smooth after that.

I mentioned this to my Service Advisor and he said it should go away after the 1st service (which is happening today). He said sometimes this can happen as the engine settles down.

Have any one else experienced this?
Kairalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 16:28   #2501
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,829
Thanked: 2,943 Times
Default

Question to Safari owners who have upgraded their tyres :

Does upgrading tyres (from 235, upwards to 255 or more) cause dragging / alignment issues ?

I was told it does. But I'd rather hear from you guys, from some one who has upsized tyres.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 17:19   #2502
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,523
Thanked: 1,022 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Question to Safari owners who have upgraded their tyres :

Does upgrading tyres (from 235, upwards to 255 or more) cause dragging / alignment issues ?

I was told it does. But I'd rather hear from you guys, from some one who has upsized tyres.
Even i was told the same. I too was planning to upgrade. There was some technical guy from Tata at showroom told not to up-size the tyre it will have alignment and mileage issue. Also i think 255 will not fit on existing ones.

v&v
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 17:25   #2503
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,841
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Question to Safari owners who have upgraded their tyres :

Does upgrading tyres (from 235, upwards to 255 or more) cause dragging / alignment issues ?

I was told it does. But I'd rather hear from you guys, from some one who has upsized tyres.
Only issue that I have heard from people who have upgraded to 255 was the scraping and the fouling up of the turning radius; nothing about drag or alignment issues.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 21:52   #2504
BHPian
 
Kairalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 145
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
In 2nd and 3rd gear (mostly in 3rd) when I accelerate steadily, at around 1500 rpm I noticed a jerk and then the Safari begins to pick up speed steadily. No problems after that. This happens occasionally and only when I am light footed on the accelerator.

After i shift from 2nd to 3rd, the RPM meter moves steadily from 1200 and just when it has reached ~1500 rpm, I feel this jerk, like its losing power just for a moment and then its smooth after that.

I mentioned this to my Service Advisor and he said it should go away after the 1st service (which is happening today). He said sometimes this can happen as the engine settles down.

Have any one else experienced this?
Owners/Gurus please help with your experiences! The Safari is back from the first service, but the issue didnt go away. The service advisor insists that it will go away in in due course and does not need any attention at the moment.
Kairalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 21:58   #2505
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,841
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

^^ Kairalee - what fuel do you use? If you are using premium fuel / Shell, move to normal / ordinary diesel and check.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks