Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2010, 20:53   #2551
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,818
Thanked: 2,933 Times
Default

Quote:
mercedised : How many kms has your Safari done, I read somewhere that it has done 2.5L kms.
90k only. Not 2.5L .. I think your Safari in TBHP is the only one that has crossed 2L.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 22:44   #2552
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 690
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
90k only. Not 2.5L .. I think your Safari in TBHP is the only one that has crossed 2L.
That's right, it has done about 86k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@suman:

The turbo whistle above 2.5K or 3K is more pronounced then at lower rpm's. What type of noise are you talking about, Is it some kind of knocking or else?
How many kms has your Safari done, I read somewhere that it has done 2.5L kms.
may be its just the turbo whistle. There is no knocking. Just that I am not used to driving at high rpms and recently started driving at a little bit higher rpms.

Also, I got the oil changed at a Castrol dealership and the oil level is little bit higher than the max mark. Is that a problem? Its about 0.5 ltr more.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 07:49   #2553
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 690
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post

Also, I got the oil changed at a Castrol dealership and the oil level is little bit higher than the max mark. Is that a problem? Its about 0.5 ltr more.
Please help me out with this. Will it cause any damage? Is it possible to drain the excess oil? It is about 1 inch above the max mark.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 13:18   #2554
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,430
Thanked: 9,661 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Please help me out with this. Will it cause any damage? Is it possible to drain the excess oil? It is about 1 inch above the max mark.
A slight surplus of engine oil does not matter. Ideally and theoretically speaking, it puts an extra load on the crankshaft oil seal, which may cause it to leak. In reality, the oil doesn't make any difference, and if you are doing a prolonged (few hours) high speed run with, say, the revs above 75% of the red line, the surplus oil dribbles out of the crankcase air vent, and the oil levels off at the max. mark.

So, as the youth say today, just chill!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 20:05   #2555
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

@suman: No problems. I have driven my Safari on 1 ltr of excess oil for almost 1000 kms. Later on when I came to know that due to faulty oil switch my father poured in 1ltr of oil, I went to SC and got the oil leveled.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 10:52   #2556
BHPian
 
Kairalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 145
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Under your circumstances, I would suggest using System D for a tankful only.

Without smoke the other possible causes dont apply to you.
Thanks dadu. I guess the proportion is 1 ml of System D for every 1 ltr of diesel isnt it?
Kairalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 11:07   #2557
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,575
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
hello

thank you guys

went to service station to get the numbers etched on glass. the service fellow told me the same about reverse gear

as for the reverse parking i feel the some slot switch gets stuck. he told me to have a few days run and see if it persist

thanks for the input
How would it help?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@suman: No problems. I have driven my Safari on 1 ltr of excess oil for almost 1000 kms. Later on when I came to know that due to faulty oil switch my father poured in 1ltr of oil, I went to SC and got the oil leveled.
Thought excess oil will damage the turbo ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
Thanks dadu. I guess the proportion is 1 ml of System D for every 1 ltr of diesel isnt it?
Guess so. The container has a measure for 15ml, so if you do full tank then you need to squeeze out 4 times and add.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 11:21   #2558
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,430
Thanked: 9,661 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Thought excess oil will damage the turbo ?
Not unless the oil seals rupture.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 13:16   #2559
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 690
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A slight surplus of engine oil does not matter. Ideally and theoretically speaking, it puts an extra load on the crankshaft oil seal, which may cause it to leak. In reality, the oil doesn't make any difference, and if you are doing a prolonged (few hours) high speed run with, say, the revs above 75% of the red line, the surplus oil dribbles out of the crankcase air vent, and the oil levels off at the max. mark.

So, as the youth say today, just chill!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@suman: No problems. I have driven my Safari on 1 ltr of excess oil for almost 1000 kms. Later on when I came to know that due to faulty oil switch my father poured in 1ltr of oil, I went to SC and got the oil leveled.
Great, thank you. I think I have driven around 300 kms in 3 days. Will get the oil leveled later when I get time.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 22:56   #2560
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Coolant level decreased after 2-3 weeks of change

Hi,

I gave my vehicle for service on around 15th Aug and they replaced the coolant ( 2 yrs or 60K whatever is earlier), Vehicle was at A.S.S for one more week because the bumper was broken for which i refused to take delivery and they replaced it FOC. I saw coolant was filled till max mark.

Today I opened the bonnet and saw that coolant is much below max and above min.I do not see any white smoke or could not see any dirty gooey stuff in tank. Before coolant replacement during 2 years of ownership the coolant level never decreased from max mark.

What may be possible causes in this case , I am suspecting that they might not have put some washer / plug properly after replacing the coolant.

Any heads up before i go to T.A.S.S

Regards
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 10:09   #2561
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,430
Thanked: 9,661 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
...15th Aug...replaced the coolant ( 2 yrs or 60K whatever is earlier)
I saw coolant was filled till max mark.

Today... coolant is much below max and above min.
Amit, you didn't check the coolant between the time it was filled and now (@1 month), did you? I would suppose the level you saw at the workshop was after changing coolant & topping up, before the engine was started. The drop in level could be because of the air pockets getting removed in the radiator.

Suggest you top up now and check after 1 week.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 11:18   #2562
BHPian
 
Kairalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 145
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Guess so. The container has a measure for 15ml, so if you do full tank then you need to squeeze out 4 times and add.
Thank you sir! I will plan to do that during my next fuel top up, but I have a quick question now.

My Safari has run just around 3,200 kms, so i am wondering if using System D so early in its life will cause any issues to the engine.

If it is, then I dont mind waiting for a while before I can use it. I can live with the fact that the Safari will still have the jerk occasionally.

I am just being curious so I dont get anything messed up in the engine by adding this additive now.

Last edited by Kairalee : 14th September 2010 at 11:20.
Kairalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 13:09   #2563
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi Dadu,

I have the same problem of jerking and like you nsuggested i di see the black smoke in ORVM while the engine is gasping. What could be the other problem in this case.
TurboKunal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 13:56   #2564
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not unless the oil seals rupture.
True, I was not able to understand when people used to say excess oil damages the Turbo, it will damage only incase the oil seals rupture, in that case it will damage under low oil levels also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hi,

I gave my vehicle for service on around 15th Aug and they replaced the coolant ( 2 yrs or 60K whatever is earlier), Vehicle was at A.S.S for one more week because the bumper was broken for which i refused to take delivery and they replaced it FOC. I saw coolant was filled till max mark.

Today I opened the bonnet and saw that coolant is much below max and above min.I do not see any white smoke or could not see any dirty gooey stuff in tank. Before coolant replacement during 2 years of ownership the coolant level never decreased from max mark.

What may be possible causes in this case , I am suspecting that they might not have put some washer / plug properly after replacing the coolant.

Any heads up before i go to T.A.S.S

Regards
There's definitely a leak, which needs to be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
Thank you sir! I will plan to do that during my next fuel top up, but I have a quick question now.

My Safari has run just around 3,200 kms, so i am wondering if using System D so early in its life will cause any issues to the engine.

If it is, then I dont mind waiting for a while before I can use it. I can live with the fact that the Safari will still have the jerk occasionally.

I am just being curious so I dont get anything messed up in the engine by adding this additive now.
It wont cause any issue, its milder than the premium diesel. It has for 5ml and 10ml marker, I would suggest you use a clean empty bottle and measure and pour 65ml (65 ltrs tank) at home before you go for the fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKunal View Post
Hi Dadu,

I have the same problem of jerking and like you nsuggested i di see the black smoke in ORVM while the engine is gasping. What could be the other problem in this case.
Under normal circumstance, it can be caused primarily(there are many reasons though) due to two reasons unclean injectors and oil in the fuel. My first advise would be to use System D to clean the injectors, if that doesnt resolve, get your Oil separator checked for leakage and changed.

Last edited by dadu : 14th September 2010 at 14:07.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 17:10   #2565
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 190
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Hello

as per my previous post of wheel alignment i nwent to the service station

the guy took a TD and admitted that there is an alignment probem but not that grave and can be done on first service

now few things

the service station is packed with cars so they do not have time

as informed by great ppl here and also admitted by tata sales guy that wheel alignment must be done before car is deivered

my car is 6 days old and i plan to go on a 1200 km drive first week of october and plan to give the car for service

this guy has given me a date of 25th where he says he can do my alignment and then when i return i can get the service done

my questions are

1>should i hard press that guy to do y wheel alignment asap, its a pain and waste of time to go theragain and again because if i do my wheel alignment on 25th and then again on 4th i have to go for first service

2>is it advisable to skip the wheel alignment as he says it not a major problem do my trip and come back

the main issue is of contentment, why cant theses guys deliver this carswith full satisfaction

one more thing,

while driving i used to get a "chkchik" sound like a loose seat from back. earlier i thought it must be some unlocked seat but the sound grew iritating so i decided to check it out and found it was coming from the boot

when i showed the guy at tata service he found out to be from the the boot door upper biddng [just below the upper part of the door]

he said due to standing in storehouse and rain it has become dryu, he applied some wd40 and viola the noise gone. he said he couldnt replace that as it is one piece
he said due to rains sometimes drt get accumated and makes the vibratory noise

so any guys will this probnble recurr

if you ppl suggest i can flex my voice and gert an alignment done quick though he has nort refused it but going so many times is a pain

or do u think i ust complet y trip and go again

Last edited by lodhra : 14th September 2010 at 17:12.
lodhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks