Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 15:15   #2761
BHPian
 
LionX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cochin / Bangalore
Posts: 379
Thanked: 361 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
This could result in adverse condition during warranty claim. They can flately refuse to change engine component if they see during recommended service duration you have not changed oil. You never know.
I have thought of it before and made an entry in the service history of the vehicle. But you should have some good contacts with the SA/manager for this to be done .

TATA gives warranty only for 2 years (+2 if you have taken extended warranty) but the car might be with you for longer time. What will you do if the problem comes after the warranty period due to extended usage of oil. I am just taking a preventive measure.
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 15:52   #2762
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,727
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
This could result in adverse condition during warranty claim. They can flately refuse to change engine component if they see during recommended service duration you have not changed oil. You never know.
Why would they deny warranty coverage for doing oil changes at 10K intervals rather than 15K intervals provided you have the change billed and recorded at the dealership?
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 16:08   #2763
adc
Senior - BHPian
 
adc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,343
Thanked: 2,065 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
This could result in adverse condition during warranty claim. They can flately refuse to change engine component if they see during recommended service duration you have not changed oil. You never know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Why would they deny warranty coverage for doing oil changes at 10K intervals rather than 15K intervals provided you have the change billed and recorded at the dealership?


No they dont deny and I dont have special relationship with any service station. Service oil intervals fall sometimes at odd kms, i.e. not at the said booklet kms, due to travels and TM never questioned this or the warranty validity.

Oil is changed from the VTT every 6-7.5 km and once was done thrice within a 15k km interval, depending on the severity of the journey. Changing mineral oil costs nothing in terms of overall ownership if you are keeping a vehicle for long term [>4-5 years] and know first hand how clean and free flowing an engine is when this simple thing is done.

Last edited by adc : 11th November 2010 at 16:21.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 16:40   #2764
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,575
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default

Water Leak issue!

I had taken the Safari to the TASS a month ago and they did find the issue. Crack on the joint near where the windscreen meet the body. They tried to fix it using M-Seal and it didnt work out coz M-Seal joint breaks off when you take bad roads due to stress.

They found this when I took the Safari back and now they want to spot weld. They also want 3-5 days to do this and wants 4k as painting might be needed.

I will try to get pix of the spot.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 22:36   #2765
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,727
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Default

@JK: Use a commercial grade silicon sealant that comes in the big cylindrical tube that you apply with the gun. This sealant doesn't harden completely, but allows for some flex so it may work. M-Seal hardens on drying. The sealant itself cost only 150 Rs. Worth trying before you spend 4K.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 01:28   #2766
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,733
Thanked: 2,631 Times
Default

A good suggestion there, 4x4addict. JK, do try this before spending 4k for the resolution.

Also, there is a product called Anabond which Condor quite recommends as a sealant. You may want to try that as well. Comes cheap.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 09:23   #2767
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,575
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@JK: Use a commercial grade silicon sealant that comes in the big cylindrical tube that you apply with the gun. This sealant doesn't harden completely, but allows for some flex so it may work. M-Seal hardens on drying. The sealant itself cost only 150 Rs. Worth trying before you spend 4K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
A good suggestion there, 4x4addict. JK, do try this before spending 4k for the resolution.

Also, there is a product called Anabond which Condor quite recommends as a sealant. You may want to try that as well. Comes cheap.
Great ! thanks guys.
Will get one tomorrow
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 09:29   #2768
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@JK: Use a commercial grade silicon sealant that comes in the big cylindrical tube that you apply with the gun. This sealant doesn't harden completely, but allows for some flex so it may work. M-Seal hardens on drying. The sealant itself cost only 150 Rs. Worth trying before you spend 4K.
@JK Silicon sealant is manufactured by Pidilite , You can buy it at any hardware shop also buy applicator gun available for 90 Rs else it is impossible to use. There are two grades 150Rs is ordinary and there is higher grade for around 250rs which cures faster.
Aquarium we have at home uses Pidilite silicon sealent so it is a testimony that water won't leak :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Also, there is a product called Anabond which Condor quite recommends as a sealant. You may want to try that as well. Comes cheap.
Ananbond and M-Seal are just two different brands of epoxy resin. Again there are different grades. In my experience M-Seal wet set is best for quick fix solutions as it cures faster.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 11:01   #2769
BHPian
 
LionX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cochin / Bangalore
Posts: 379
Thanked: 361 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
No they dont deny and I dont have special relationship with any service station. Service oil intervals fall sometimes at odd kms, i.e. not at the said booklet kms, due to travels and TM never questioned this or the warranty validity.
I agree on this @adc, provided the oil is from T.A.S.S but in my case I am getting the oil from outside which is a grade higher (CI 4+) than what TATA recommends. During warranty claim there is a possibility that TATA question the quality/brand of the oil used if it is not included in the job card.
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 11:03   #2770
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,603
Thanked: 14,875 Times
Default

Tell your Service center you will bring your own oil.
Make sure that oil meets the standards given by Tata.
If Tata says API-CH4 or higher, using API-CI4 will not void your warranty.
However API-CF4 will.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 11:12   #2771
BHPian
 
LionX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cochin / Bangalore
Posts: 379
Thanked: 361 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Tell your Service center you will bring your own oil.
Make sure that oil meets the standards given by Tata.
If Tata says API-CH4 or higher, using API-CI4 will not void your warranty.
However API-CF4 will.
But the question is how will you prove that you are using higher grade oil if TATA denies the warranty.
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 11:44   #2772
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 294
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
...

1. I had my first highway run to Tirupati (~320 km) after the first service. I cant call it a highway ride as it is mostly two way roads. I cant speed much but it was not stop/ go city like traffic. I noticed that there is a momentary loss of power (for sub second). I noticed this more in the hilly ride to Tirumala. Now back in Chennai for the past 3 days, I dont seem to have the issue. Is the ECU not able to adjust for hilly ride.. Should I do something about it?

...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I also experience this and already reported this problem in this thread. Few things I observed more with my car

1. Most of the time it is observed in cold engine in my car. It takes some time in Safari to reach temperature to maximum (Around 7 - 9 Kms during morning hours in Bangalore).

2. This is generally observed around 1600 - 1900 RPMs. I think when Turbo kicks in I feel little lack of power momentarily. But this lack of power is quite annoying.

3. Sometimes back my observation was during down shifting on speed breakers and then re-accelerating in second or third gear.

If you get any solution for this problem do let us know.



...
.
Anuj, I am not experiencing this prominently in city ride. I encountered this only once yesterday. RPM was just 1500.. in 4th gear.. Not able to reproduce this.
druva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 11:57   #2773
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,266
Thanked: 320 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Anuj, I am not experiencing this prominently in city ride. I encountered this only once yesterday. RPM was just 1500.. in 4th gear.. Not able to reproduce this.
Even I am not getting frequently. Morning times I feel more when the engine is cold. It is like like mild "jhatka" and then it regains normal momentum. When the engine is warm I rarely feel this.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 12:11   #2774
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,603
Thanked: 14,875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
But the question is how will you prove that you are using higher grade oil if TATA denies the warranty.
As long as the box of oil says API-CI4, where is the question of proof.
That said, Tata service centers fill in Mobil TM 1000 API-CH4, and its a very good oil.
If you are paranoid about warranty, stick to TASS and switch to getting your own can only once warranty is over.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 13:32   #2775
BHPian
 
Kairalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 145
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post

I noticed that there is a momentary loss of power (for sub second). I noticed this more in the hilly ride to Tirumala. Now back in Chennai for the past 3 days, I dont seem to have the issue. Is the ECU not able to adjust for hilly ride.. Should I do something about it?
Druva,

I had this exact issue with my Beast too and following the advise I recieved from the Gurus on this forum worked for me.

Please read some of the earlier posts in this same thread for their advise: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hread-168.html

I have not noticed this issue now for quite a while though I did not add System-D.

I do the 80kms/hr at 3rd gear or do a high rev while stationary for around 20-30 seconds(only if I dont hit the highway at least once in every two weeks) and its working.

I strongly recommend that you try these methods.

Last edited by Kairalee : 12th November 2010 at 13:42.
Kairalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks