Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th November 2010, 14:27   #2836
Senior - BHPian

I also had the same issue and had done a similar exercise with the people at Concord Mysore road. They hooked on the diagnostic tool and we went for a 20 kms drive. First the SA drove and then me. Never came up.

But then, sticking on to the fight fuel and also doing a high rev run once in a while seems to have kept the issue at bay. Didn't face it till now.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 22:00   #2837
BHPian

Default Squeaking sound from the front suspension

I am hearing a squeaking sound from the front suspension at slow speeds, especially over uneven roads.

Noticed it while driving over a speedbreaker inside my apartment parking area, so after parking, I held the front bumper and pushed down the front of the car and released it repeatedly. The sound could be heard quite audibly from somewhere near the suspensions but I cannot pinpoint the source.

I suspect its a greasing issue with all the rains here at Bangalore, but any insights from the anyone else who has experienced this sometime or the other will be very helpful.
Kairalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 14:44   #2838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
I am hearing a squeaking sound from the front suspension at slow speeds, especially over uneven roads.

Noticed it while driving over a speedbreaker inside my apartment parking area, so after parking, I held the front bumper and pushed down the front of the car and released it repeatedly. The sound could be heard quite audibly from somewhere near the suspensions but I cannot pinpoint the source.

I suspect its a greasing issue with all the rains here at Bangalore, but any insights from the anyone else who has experienced this sometime or the other will be very helpful.

Normally I've seen that tightening the torison bar and the idler arm and greasing resolves this issue. Once had to change bushes.
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 17:51   #2839
BHPian

Thanks smsrini,

Though the sound seems to have disappeared all by itself, I am still going the T.A.S.S this weekend to get it checked.
Old 1st December 2010, 20:20   #2840
BHPian

Folks, a word of caution for those going to get the idler arm adjusted to reduce the turning radius. I got the idler arm adjusted couple of months back and I was happy with this mod since i was able to take a U-turn in front of my off without obstructing the oncoming traffic.

Yesterday, when I was heading to office, I tried to stop the vehicle for a signal and I was terrified when I applied the brake. The brake went all the way down with a spongy feel but somehow had the presence of my mind to pump the brake and bring the vehicle to halt. I called up the SA and he asked to bring the vehicle immediately . This happened near Jayanagar 7th blk and I had to go all the way to Mysore road.

I made sure the vehicle can be stopped by pumping the brake( with a single press, I could slow down but did not have the stopping power) and reached Concorde , Mysore road. On visual inspection, we could see the oil splashed all over beneath the front left mudguard.

It turns out that the washer of the flange bolt had worn out and the brake fluid was leaking when the brake was applied. They attributed this to the idler arm rubbing against this flange bolt which was adjusted for lowering the turning radius and mine was supposed to be the 4th vehicle coming with this problem. This is downright scary and I told them I would rather settle for a bigger turning radius than a failed brake.

SA Mr. Reddy and the mechanic Asif convinced me this will not occur again and I have to believe them. How can the whole brake system depend on such a tiny washer.

This is my first major grouse in my 2 and half years of ownership which till now had only few minor niggles. Thanks to Mr Reddy, whom I can rely on and has always been prompt in attending my complaints and made the TASS experience a satisfying one
bkishore_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 22:32   #2841
BHPian

This is downright scary. Thanks for posting your experience Kishore.

I just got my Safari's idler arm adjusted. Has anyone else done this mod and driven around for a while now? Hopefully this is an isolated case and the SA is passing the blame on the mod done to the idler arm.

Last edited by Kairalee : 1st December 2010 at 22:35.
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:21   #2842
Senior - BHPian

Hello All

If someone has the factory readings for Safari Wheel Alignment. Kindly post them here.

Thanks
Rahul
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:50   #2843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
This is downright scary. Thanks for posting your experience Kishore.

I just got my Safari's idler arm adjusted. Has anyone else done this mod and driven around for a while now? Hopefully this is an isolated case and the SA is passing the blame on the mod done to the idler arm.
I have this mod for 2 years and 27000 KM now ,
Kishore can you post a picture marking which parts SA claimed were rubbing ? I think it may depend on how much the turning radius is reduced , IMHO they simply can not reduce it to the point that it strains the break-line. There is a rubber engine guard behind the tyre in wheel well in any case the wheel should not rub this guard on full turn , If it does then it means they have reduced it too much. When I got my turn radius adjusted it indeed rubbed the wheel well and I got it adjusted again so that it is just right.

Did you ask for break bleeding sometime before this incidence ? I highly suspect that failure was because they did not fasten the nuts properly after break bleeding in your vehicle.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:53   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I have this mod for 2 years and 27000 KM now ,
Kishore can you post a picture marking which parts SA claimed were rubbing ? I think it may depend on how much the turning radius is reduced ,

Did you ask for break bleeding sometime before this incidence ? I highly suspect that failure was because they did not fasten the nuts properly after break bleeding in your vehicle.
Sorry Amit, since I was in a hurry to leave to office I did not take the picture of the part but I saw the SA taking two washers of ~5mm in size.

You are right. The tyre was indeed scraping when taking a full left turn on uneven surface( no issue when the surface was even). When I inquired with SA regarding the rubbing noise , he said some rubber part needs to be cut but is not a serious issue.

Amit, you are right again. I had the brakes bled on the same day when the idler arm was adjusted(3rd service) but there was no leakage of the brake fluid for 2 months.
bkishore_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:32   #2845
Senior - BHPian

This has got nothing to do with the the Idler Arm, the common knocking problem with Idler arm is adjusted by slightly tightening it, bottoms up. There is another adjustment for the turning radius, a Bolt which blocks the further turn, just like a door stopper. There is a flexible tube protected by spiralled metal wire which goes into the Wheel which inturn provides the oil for the front braking.

Last edited by dadu : 2nd December 2010 at 17:35.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 18:47   #2846
BHPian

Hi All

I just came home after driving driving 1000 kms in my brand new Tata Safari GX 4X2. I just loved this vehicle. However there are a few issues that I noticed during the drive and I am looking for answers.

1. There is loss of power for a second when accelerating at rpm 1500-1700. I have heard that it is a persistant problem with the Safari and have been addressed by TATA. Mine is a late nov manufactured vehicle. i guess it shouldn't have this problem.

2. It take some effort and time to engage reverse gear. Still it misses the engaement sometimes.

3. The vibration on gear knob is high. The vibration level in cabin is also on the higher side.

4. During the night drive, I found that headlights are inadequate. Any suggestions for replacements. I don't want to go for HID as of now.

Thanks in advance
sheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 00:58   #2847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
Hi All

4. During the night drive, I found that headlights are inadequate. Any suggestions for replacements. I don't want to go for HID as of now.

Thanks in advance
Replace with Osram Nightbreaker 60/55 bulbs and you should be fine. Osram Silverstar, Philips are other options. cheers! Srini
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 11:13   #2848
BHPian

My Safari has done about 9000 km till now. I notice a new odd thing recently. The rear tires spin a bit more (as if it is skidding) when I take a sharp turn. I have driven a lot of rear wheel driven cars including a TCIC Safari before and this is the first time I see this. Could it be something to do with LSD in this car ?

I will be taking her to service this month (2 year Service) and should I check for anything specific ?

What is the view from the Experts ?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 12:23   #2849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. There is loss of power for a second when accelerating at rpm 1500-1700. I have heard that it is a persistant problem with the Safari and have been addressed by TATA. Mine is a late nov manufactured vehicle. i guess it shouldn't have this problem.
I used to face this issue in the very initial days of my ownership (November 2009) but ever since I started using regular HSD instead of premium diesel, it never re-surfaced. If you are already following this, get in touch with your A.S.S.

Quote:
2. It take some effort and time to engage reverse gear. Still it misses the engaement sometimes.
It will take some getting used to, depending on which vehicle you owned prior to the Safari. A good practice is to slot into 1st gear and then engage the reverse.

Quote:
3. The vibration on gear knob is high. The vibration level in cabin is also on the higher side.
Welcome to the world of diesels That said, the NVH levels in the Safari are not exactly class-leading - expect some amount of cabin noise at three digit speeds. However, the cabin should be silent (per diesel standards) below 100 kmph. If that is not the case, please get in touch with your A.S.S. Finally, do not compare the noise levels to a petrol car

Quote:
I replaced my OEMs with Philips Xtreme Power (60/55) and the results are quite satisfactory.
cool_dube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 12:31   #2850
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All

I just came home after driving driving 1000 kms in my brand new Tata Safari GX 4X2. I just loved this vehicle. However there are a few issues that I noticed during the drive and I am looking for answers.

Thanks in advance
Congrats on your new Safari!

1. Yes, this is an issue experienced by many of us who have the Safari. There has been a discussion on this earlier. Please see these posts.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hread-168.html

High revving while the vehicle is stationary (neutral gear) and occasional driving for about 1-2 mins at 60-70 kmph while in 2nd gear solved the problem for me. I do the high revving (in neutral gear) once a week when the engine has reached optimum operating tempature and it has worked in eliminating this issue. The user manual also recommends this as well as the experts on this forum.

2. The reverse gear is a bit too hard in the early days of ownership. I had this issue too and I used to engage first gear and then slot it back to reverse to make it easier. Over a period of time it eases off and you wont have this problem.

3. You should get this checked out at the TASS. There is absolutely no gear knob vibration nor is there any vibration in the cabin, especially with the BS4 versions.

4. The headlights are a tad insufficient, and I've managed with the headlights and fog lights switched on till date, but I will upgrade to the Osram Nightbreakers soon. It is a sensible addition if you do night drives on the highway.

Last edited by Kairalee : 6th December 2010 at 12:48.