Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2011, 10:30   #2941
BHPian
 
jkrishnakj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 485
Thanked: 295 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hi All,
I took delivery of my brand new GX 4X2 on the 29th of Dec. Yesterday, we went for a long drive. On the highway, i was trying to slot the car into the 5th Gear and i realised that there was complete play. The gear knob was rotating and no gears were getting slotted.

I am not much of an auto tech guy here. I realised that if i stop the car, i wont be able to keep it moving. Since it was the highway, i kept driving and was trying to contact the nearest Tata Service centre. With great difficulty, i reached there and i was told that some small Clip had snapped leading to the gears not getting engaged. He fitted some part and asked me to drive slowly back to Bangalore.

Has anyone experienced anything like this ? Can such a thing happen ? I am a bit worried. i shall be taking my new car to Concorde Service centre tomorrow. Shall keep you all posted, but meanwhile any thoughts / comments that i need to watch out for would be most welcome.
Dear fellow Safari owners - Any thoughts on the above will be welcome. As a quick update, concorde changed the Clutch plate assembly, replaced the pressure plate assembly, put a new cylinderical pin, a new disc and the new cover. Its been two days and its behaving fine.

Yesterday evening, i could feel that the front passenger door power window is not rolling up at the speed it used to be and it doesnt close fully. It stops at a position where there is still half an inch left for the window to close. . Any thoughts and suggestions will really help.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 10:58   #2942
BHPian
 
verditer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hosur, Tamilnadu
Posts: 322
Thanked: 71 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its from the Turbocharger and most probably from the Actuator wastegate. The Turbo resides on the right and the EGR in the middle from the drivers perspective.
Oh yes, right. The noise is from the right side so has to be the turbocharger then...

Suresh.
verditer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 11:32   #2943
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashsg View Post
Concorde Motors, Begur Cross, Hosur Road.

Mine is a BS3 too. Lets wait for the list to grow upto to atleast 5+ and then take the next steps.

List:

1) Avinash
2) LionX

There's a meet happening this weekend. Expected truck count is 15+
Lets see if we can all sync up and discuss this issue and probable resolution.
Most of us have experienced this and it an Off and on problem, I was discussing this with Rahulk76 yesterday and it seems to be like a gene which is unique to each safari, the symptoms causing it and the solution also seem to differ from one Safari to other and hence genetic in nature. A solution working for one might not work for others and vice versa.

Can one of you guys who has this as a frequent problem do me a favour and switch to Shell Diesel just for some further diagnostic, I know its expensive but just wait till near empty and fill in 30ltrs of Shell normal diesel and report back here after 100kms of run.

My suggestion for your approach to TATA CS would be to wait for the condition to deteriorate till you can demonstrate this gasping at YOUR will, if you can't demonstrate it, do not approach them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Yesterday evening, i could feel that the front passenger door power window is not rolling up at the speed it used to be and it doesnt close fully. It stops at a position where there is still half an inch left for the window to close. . Any thoughts and suggestions will really help.
Get it checked at T.A.S.S and get the motor replaced if required.

Last edited by dadu : 5th January 2011 at 11:34.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 12:31   #2944
Newbie
 
avinashsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: 9 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Most of us have experienced this and it an Off and on problem, I was discussing this with Rahulk76 yesterday and it seems to be like a gene which is unique to each safari, the symptoms causing it and the solution also seem to differ from one Safari to other and hence genetic in nature. A solution working for one might not work for others and vice versa.

Can one of you guys who has this as a frequent problem do me a favour and switch to Shell Diesel just for some further diagnostic, I know its expensive but just wait till near empty and fill in 30ltrs of Shell normal diesel and report back here after 100kms of run.

My suggestion for your approach to TATA CS would be to wait for the condition to deteriorate till you can demonstrate this gasping at YOUR will, if you can't demonstrate it, do not approach them.
Straight out of the showroom i tanked up at Shell. Drove for close to 5,000 kms using Shell normal diesel. The gasp has been occuring from the beginning regardless of fuel used. At 4,000 kms the sedimenter light came on in my truck. Since then, i've switched to HP normal diesel. But, the gasping continues to exist. I agree with you, the problems and probable solutions vary between trucks. However, It will never reach a point where you can demonstrate it at will. If you are persitant and lucky enough to demonstrate it, i think the folks at T.A.S.S will not be able to pin point the cause and rectify it. Trial and error is the only way out. Keep changing parts untill issue is resolved. How do i claim to know? I asked an SA to accompany me on a long drive and the gasp happened ONCE during that trial. When asked if the SA noticed the hiccup, his question to me was - "what did you notice sir? I couldn't feel anything!"

My suggestion is that truck owners with the gasping issue get together on a day (probably a weekend) and try to replicate the hiccup in their respective cars. We should take turns in each car and together reach a concensus on how this can be replicated. Then apporach Tata as a team. Please remember, this is beyond what the T.A.S.S guys can rectify! Only a strong team can put the point across.

The other option is to quietly live with the issue and keep posting here untill you hit a plateau and stop writing.

Last edited by avinashsg : 5th January 2011 at 12:42.
avinashsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 12:45   #2945
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,132
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Most of us have experienced this and it an Off and on problem, I was discussing this with Rahulk76 yesterday and it seems to be like a gene which is unique to each safari, the symptoms causing it and the solution also seem to differ from one Safari to other and hence genetic in nature. A solution working for one might not work for others and vice versa.

Can one of you guys who has this as a frequent problem do me a favour and switch to Shell Diesel just for some further diagnostic, I know its expensive but just wait till near empty and fill in 30ltrs of Shell normal diesel and report back here after 100kms of run.

My suggestion for your approach to TATA CS would be to wait for the condition to deteriorate till you can demonstrate this gasping at YOUR will, if you can't demonstrate it, do not approach them.



Get it checked at T.A.S.S and get the motor replaced if required.
Makes me wonder, why this issue is being reported mainly from south east india and nowhere else??
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 13:22   #2946
BHPian
 
shantanumishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: BLR/GGN
Posts: 230
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Makes me wonder, why this issue is being reported mainly from south east india and nowhere else??
I am from North (Gurgaon) and even I face this issue at times, but they have become rare after ECU upgrade.
shantanumishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 13:54   #2947
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashsg View Post
Straight out of the showroom i tanked up at Shell. Drove for close to 5,000 kms using Shell normal diesel. The gasp has been occuring from the beginning regardless of fuel used. At 4,000 kms the sedimenter light came on in my truck. Since then, i've switched to HP normal diesel. But, the gasping continues to exist. I agree with you, the problems and probable solutions vary between trucks. However, It will never reach a point where you can demonstrate it at will. If you are persitant and lucky enough to demonstrate it, i think the folks at T.A.S.S will not be able to pin point the cause and rectify it. Trial and error is the only way out. Keep changing parts untill issue is resolved. How do i claim to know? I asked an SA to accompany me on a long drive and the gasp happened ONCE during that trial. When asked if the SA noticed the hiccup, his question to me was - "what did you notice sir? I couldn't feel anything!"

My suggestion is that truck owners with the gasping issue get together on a day (probably a weekend) and try to replicate the hiccup in their respective cars. We should take turns in each car and together reach a concensus on how this can be replicated. Then apporach Tata as a team. Please remember, this is beyond what the T.A.S.S guys can rectify! Only a strong team can put the point across.

The other option is to quietly live with the issue and keep posting here untill you hit a plateau and stop writing.
I have done that been there. It reached a point wherein I was able to get the gasping problem under certain conditions, but I tried rectifying it myself and was able too also but it was a bad timing, was not able to demonstrate it to TATA CS as I had already corrected it.

TATA will take your point across very well collectively but will treat it individually ONLY. Trust me, I have been through this to the extent of speaking directly to one of the Leader in 2.2l Engine Development person in ERC.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 14:28   #2948
Newbie
 
avinashsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: 9 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I have done that been there. It reached a point wherein I was able to get the gasping problem under certain conditions, but I tried rectifying it myself and was able too also but it was a bad timing, was not able to demonstrate it to TATA CS as I had already corrected it.

TATA will take your point across very well collectively but will treat it individually ONLY. Trust me, I have been through this to the extent of speaking directly to one of the Leader in 2.2l Engine Development person in ERC.
ummm.. What can i say Dadu ji. I did read the entire thread and after going through your updates regarding the change of EGR valve in your truck after consulting Tata personnel and the 2.2L Engine Development person, i think i need to go down a similar route. Since a lot of folks have been reporting it here every now and then but are not yet willing to stand up and give a fight, i will simply continue persuing this till the issue is resolved in my truck. Wish me luck!
avinashsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 14:34   #2949
BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 959
Thanked: 213 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I tried rectifying it myself and was able too also but it was a bad timing,
Chief, how did you rectify the gasping problem in your case ?
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 14:40   #2950
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashsg View Post
ummm.. What can i say Dadu ji. I did read the entire thread and after going through your updates regarding the change of EGR valve in your truck after consulting Tata personnel and the 2.2L Engine Development person, i think i need to go down a similar route. Since a lot of folks have been reporting it here every now and then but are not yet willing to stand up and give a fight, i will simply continue persuing this till the issue is resolved in my truck. Wish me luck!
I am nowhere discouraging you to take it up with TATA, just suggesting the approach that might work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Chief, how did you rectify the gasping problem in your case ?
2 tankful Normal diesel with System D and Mysore run(high speed, fully loaded) during the second tank, rectified it long term.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 14:53   #2951
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,605
Thanked: 14,876 Times
Default Three problems, some inputs needed for one

The white elephant is now at 60,000kms and will go for service this saturday at Autolinks Gurgaon.
apart from regular service, there are three problems
1. When starting from standstill, even if not accelerating rapidly, clang clang kind of sounds come from rear diff/wheel area until around 10kmph. Its similar to driving on a manhole cover. I am going to get the rear LSD checked. Any other inputs?
2. This one is more serious and started coming after the center pin bush and tie rods were replaced. When the front two wheels are at a different level, and I turn the steering, khat khat sounds, akin to metal hitting against a hard surface come. I have no idea why this is there
3. This started after the brake pads were replaced at 45000. When I have run a long distance at speed, so that wheels are fully warmed up, there is a ghrrrr sound at low speeds which is akin to the front brake pads grabbing the front wheels. It comes sometimes, not always. I was unable to find out whether there is some sort of adjustment possible for front brake pads?

Other than that I have to get the steering play corrected, as she feels unstable at high speeds and the steering has more play than usual. Surprisingly, with tie rod and center pin replacement, which cost quite a lot, I expected things to get better, not worse.
Hopefully, if tie rods and center pin bush need replacement again, they will be covered under the 1 year spare parts warranty.

If LSD needs to be replaced, I guess it won't happen immediately as the workshop will send a mail to the Tata for approval(extended warranty), once approval comes they will order the part, and then within a few days the part will arrive.

Any other special things viz lubrication etc., I need to be aware of for the 60K service?
I see the following additional stuff
1. Change Coolant
2. Change vacuum hoses fotr Vacuum Modulator,Turbocharger, EGR valve & throttle valve

Then there is the regular stuff like grease propellar shaft and splines and grease steering spindle and sleeve.

I will be getting wheel alignment done from outside because Autolinks does not have Alignment machine for Alloy wheels.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 15:40   #2952
BHPian
 
verditer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hosur, Tamilnadu
Posts: 322
Thanked: 71 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Can one of you guys who has this as a frequent problem do me a favour and switch to Shell Diesel just for some further diagnostic, I know its expensive but just wait till near empty and fill in 30ltrs of Shell normal diesel and report back here after 100kms of run.
I will try this week and report here. I'm already at the red mark will try to get as empty as possible. Only hope Shell Diesel doesn't do any harm. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashsg View Post
Since a lot of folks have been reporting it here every now and then but are not yet willing to stand up and give a fight, i will simply continue persuing this till the issue is resolved in my truck. Wish me luck!
Avinash - yes many of us have this issue, but where is the time to keep visiting TASS to analyse, reproduce, diagnose and correct the issue? I for one have little time to keep visiting them to rectify this issue - it is not a major one for me, and shows up occasionally only and I've come to ignore it these days. True, a permanent real solution would be awesome.. I think I'll try different methods like daduji suggests and see which works for me most and stick to it.

Actually what Daduji said is right, with regard to this issue, each Safari is unique and one solution working in one instance may not work on others.. Makes Safari all the more unique and interesting, I take it that way. :-) Take it easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
2 tankful Normal diesel with System D and Mysore run(high speed, fully loaded) during the second tank, rectified it long term.
I too think this seems to be a good try - now and then when driving I try and keep the rpm at 3K and above for 10 seconds or more in 3rd or 4th gear running, and after I have done this, the gasping and front bonnet kitch-kitch-krrrr noise just dont seem to show up for quite some time, but do start showing up the next day, or maybe the day after.


Makes life more interesting, huh!!!!
verditer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 17:15   #2953
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,266
Thanked: 320 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

During my Rameshwaram trip this problem I observed in all gears and particularly in 5th gear more as I was on highway. Once RPM downs in 5th gear same problem used to occur. kitch-kitch-kitch sound and little powerloss.

I would go to TASS during my second service in another 5-10 days and would report again to them.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 17:41   #2954
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default Re: Three problems, some inputs needed for one

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The white elephant is now at 60,000kms and will go for service this saturday at Autolinks Gurgaon.
apart from regular service, there are three problems
1. When starting from standstill, even if not accelerating rapidly, clang clang kind of sounds come from rear diff/wheel area until around 10kmph. Its similar to driving on a manhole cover. I am going to get the rear LSD checked. Any other inputs?
2. This one is more serious and started coming after the center pin bush and tie rods were replaced. When the front two wheels are at a different level, and I turn the steering, khat khat sounds, akin to metal hitting against a hard surface come. I have no idea why this is there
3. This started after the brake pads were replaced at 45000. When I have run a long distance at speed, so that wheels are fully warmed up, there is a ghrrrr sound at low speeds which is akin to the front brake pads grabbing the front wheels. It comes sometimes, not always. I was unable to find out whether there is some sort of adjustment possible for front brake pads?

Other than that I have to get the steering play corrected, as she feels unstable at high speeds and the steering has more play than usual. Surprisingly, with tie rod and center pin replacement, which cost quite a lot, I expected things to get better, not worse.
Hopefully, if tie rods and center pin bush need replacement again, they will be covered under the 1 year spare parts warranty.

If LSD needs to be replaced, I guess it won't happen immediately as the workshop will send a mail to the Tata for approval(extended warranty), once approval comes they will order the part, and then within a few days the part will arrive.

Any other special things viz lubrication etc., I need to be aware of for the 60K service?
I see the following additional stuff
1. Change Coolant
2. Change vacuum hoses fotr Vacuum Modulator,Turbocharger, EGR valve & throttle valve

Then there is the regular stuff like grease propellar shaft and splines and grease steering spindle and sleeve.

I will be getting wheel alignment done from outside because Autolinks does not have Alignment machine for Alloy wheels.
1) It could be something loose in the rear brake drums.
2) I am aware of this, Its the adjustment of your turning radius, with that the clank noise will not come.
3) I noticed it after my brake shoe replacement too but noticable only at crawling speeds.

The extended warranty is covered by Insurance and not TATA, they need to send the pictures to the insurance company for approval, if the cost is high, they inspect physically.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 18:03   #2955
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,605
Thanked: 14,876 Times
Default Re: Three problems, some inputs needed for one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
1) It could be something loose in the rear brake drums.
2) I am aware of this, Its the adjustment of your turning radius, with that the clank noise will not come.
3) I noticed it after my brake shoe replacement too but noticable only at crawling speeds.

The extended warranty is covered by Insurance and not TATA, they need to send the pictures to the insurance company for approval, if the cost is high, they inspect physically.
1. In that case it should be an easy fix
2. this does not come at full lock. This khat khat sound comes while turning steering, even when wheels are currently not at full lock position
3. Any solution to this?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks