Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd March 2011, 20:47   #3121
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Noticed an unusual thing today, my Safari is due for 40k kms service, so I was feeling that the engine noise was slightly rough and slight pick up issues at lower rpms, so I thought I'll rev it , so after a drive of about 20kms to work, I parked and then revved it close to the redline gradually, I was all the while looking at the instrument cluster..

Then a strange thing happened, when the rpms went up really high, the temperature needle which was almost midway, started coming down, when I eased up on the accelerator, the needle again went back to midway position. What does one infer from this?
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:04   #3122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Noticed an unusual thing today, my Safari is due for 40k kms service, so I was feeling that the engine noise was slightly rough and slight pick up issues at lower rpms, so I thought I'll rev it , so after a drive of about 20kms to work, I parked and then revved it close to the redline gradually, I was all the while looking at the instrument cluster..

Then a strange thing happened, when the rpms went up really high, the temperature needle which was almost midway, started coming down, when I eased up on the accelerator, the needle again went back to midway position. What does one infer from this?

When you rev the engine to the redline the coolant circulation increases since the water pump's which is connected to the engine also spins faster. This increased circulation particularly if the radiator fan is also switched on will result in faster cooling of the coolant and hence the temperature drop. This is nevertheless a temporary effect and had you maintained the high RPM's the temperature would have again risen after a while.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 00:07   #3123
BHPian

Can any of you refer me to a good Car Electrician in Bangalore? I live near by Saraki Junction in Bangalore. I want to fix a new Car HU and Reverse Camera. I have these with me, just the installation.

Thanks!
sgmitr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 07:50   #3124
BHPian

For fitting HU, you can go to any car accessories shop and get it done, electricians generally struggle with them (from my experience)

Better if you know a friend who can connect with an accessories shop guy.

My car came back with injector replaced, the rpm is steady, but last saturday after dinner, when i started car, there was a strange noise, i thought it was not a problem, but then when the car started moving the noise became loud, thought a wheel bearing issue, but with idling the sound could be heard. It was like a grinder/mixie noise. No lights on dashboard.

Got TASS pick car on Sunday on emergency basis, problem is alternator bust again, the bearing inside is gone and the shaft which runs the alternator supposedly got misaligned as well. Got it fixed.

Sad part is the alternator was replaced about year and half back as part of company recall, and repaired at TASS for a charging problem Free of cost 6-8 months back. Either poor parts or improper fitting.

But i must admit, i get excellent support from TASS, though i and many others have grouse on certain areas always.
sunishsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 19:35   #3125
BHPian

Hi all,

Wanted your opinion on something.

Recently I got the water body of my Safari changed as it was leaking coolant.

To this they had to open up the timing chain, pulley etc. Now I want to ask a couple of things:

1) How normal is it a task to take out a timing chain and put it back. I mean does taking out the timing belt and then putting it back disturb anything. I mean does the whole setting automatically go back to its original state?

2) Today I noticed an abnormal sound emanating from the engine when idle. I'd describe it as a noise which would come when something is vibrating and it has loose rings inside it. It is something which I can associate with Indicas. Is this timing belt related?

Thanks
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 11:49   #3126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi all,

Wanted your opinion on something.

Recently I got the water body of my Safari changed as it was leaking coolant.

To this they had to open up the timing chain, pulley etc. Now I want to ask a couple of things:

1) How normal is it a task to take out a timing chain and put it back. I mean does taking out the timing belt and then putting it back disturb anything. I mean does the whole setting automatically go back to its original state?

2) Today I noticed an abnormal sound emanating from the engine when idle. I'd describe it as a noise which would come when something is vibrating and it has loose rings inside it. It is something which I can associate with Indicas. Is this timing belt related?

Thanks
Yes, you need to take out the timing belt, but leakage detection can be done just by opening the cover. They are well versed with it now, since the last official upgrade for Safari was just that, timing belt updation in most vehicles.

Take it back to them as it can as simple as a loose bolt on the cover.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 14:40   #3127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Yes, you need to take out the timing belt, but leakage detection can be done just by opening the cover. They are well versed with it now, since the last official upgrade for Safari was just that, timing belt updation in most vehicles.

Take it back to them as it can as simple as a loose bolt on the cover.
Thanks dadu.

The TASS/TASC in my city are overtly busy most of the time. And today being Saturday it was going to be worse. So I took it to carnation. The service advisor told me that the sound is from the alternator belt. He sprayed something over the belt and the sound was gone.
5 min job!.
Good thing I went to Carnation.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 12:09   #3128
Senior - BHPian

Guys,..

Question:
What is the effect on the BSIII Safari Engine being filled with BSIV grade fuel ? Does it lead to premature FIP failure? Is delphi making some-changes to the FIP design to handle low sulphur (read low lubricancy) fuel?
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 13:53   #3129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Thanks dadu.

The TASS/TASC in my city are overtly busy most of the time. And today being Saturday it was going to be worse. So I took it to carnation. The service advisor told me that the sound is from the alternator belt. He sprayed something over the belt and the sound was gone.
5 min job!.
Good thing I went to Carnation.
WD40 or Rust-off most probably, WD40 is amaxzing, have it myself, it has over a 1000 uses in everyday life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Guys,..

Question: What is the effect on the BSIII Safari Engine being filled with BSIV grade fuel ? Does it lead to premature FIP failure? Is delphi making some-changes to the FIP design to handle low sulphur (read low lubricancy) fuel?
Lubricancy of Diesel is measured andis the same in BS3 & 4 Diesel, its got nothing to do with sulphur content.

If it had ill effect, all Fuels pumps would have failed by now ,since all cars (Petrol & diesel) need fuel pumps.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 22:31   #3130
BHPian

My Feb 2011 Safari LX is just 2 days old. Done around 350 kms till now.
Some observation:
- 1st gear is as good as dead. It makes a lot of sound if the vehicle is driven in this gear.
- 2nd gear lacks any punch.. 3rd is a decent working one.
- The vehicle gives a very irritating sound when accelerating between 1500- 2000 rpm. The sound is like driving a big commercial truck and loud enough to draw attention of pedestrians in the apartment complex.

One more confusion: It has been advised on several tbhp thread to drive below 2000 rpm during the "running in" period of 1000kms. The manual doesnt talk anything about rpms but does mentions speed limit for different gears which can be achieved only beyond 2500 rpm. Also they consider the :running in" period till 1800km and not just 1000kms as advised. I am confused on which one is right? Please help..
recker_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 23:36   #3131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
Can any of you refer me to a good Car Electrician in Bangalore? I live near by Saraki Junction in Bangalore. I want to fix a new Car HU and Reverse Camera. I have these with me, just the installation.

Thanks!
I usually go to a place on East end road in Jayanagar (next to Printo) for electrical work. Did not get any major work done yet though, but had a nice experience so far. No idea if they can install HU or similar systems.

If you need more information feel free to PM me.
sumannandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 07:46   #3132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try Konark Car Accessories on East End Main road, I got my reverse camera fitted there, I'm told he does a decent job of I.C.E as well.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 10:13   #3133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
...It has been advised on several tbhp thread to drive below 2000 rpm during the "running in" period of 1000kms. ...
Where did you see this? 2000 RPM is way too low for diesels, unless, it is a tractor engine. May be OK for a petrol engine too?

Go as per owners manual. Just, keep varying the speed on different gears, i.e. don't do a steady run at a high RPM for say more than 10 minutes. Keep eye on the temp gauge. You should be good to go.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 11:17   #3134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Try Konark Car Accessories on East End Main road, I got my reverse camera fitted there, I'm told he does a decent job of I.C.E as well.
Yes, I was also referring him to the same place. There is also an electrician next to the shop, and he did some work on my car.
Old 7th March 2011, 12:16   #3135
BHPian

Edit: I also got my reverse sensor and lights installed at the same place.