Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2011, 21:33   #3151
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TVM, BLR, HYD
Posts: 477
Thanked: 539 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

The alternator problem came back within a week of fixing, however, the issue was fixed in one day. But amused !

Noticed a strange noise heard from backside whenever car goes above a speed breaker, something like a drum beat. Happened to show to a TASS near home and was told the rear shock absorbers need replacement but the vehicle height was good, and never had issues with ride.

Took the car to my regular TASS and the nut that hold the rear shock absorber was loose, and that's scary. No more noise and seems good after the nut tightening. Got the technicans to check every nut and bolt that i could see under the car, I am paranoid.

Surprisingly, i know of many customers who are really happy with their safari's and swear by them. And i got so many issues because i got a bad example ?
sunishsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 08:50   #3152
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,395
Thanked: 1,142 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Surprisingly the choking on second gear cold engine seems to have vanished since the service last week, I don't know if it will reappear eventually but as of now I did not observe the gasping for a week now.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 22:59   #3153
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 180
Thanked: 22 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Today, I heard a strange screeching sound when i turn the steering to max at any turn.
Strange enough, a similar sound also came when i change headlight beam adjustment from position 0 to 3 and vice versa even when the vehicle is stationary. I am absolutely clueless about these strange sounds which have started coming since today evening.

Any advice please?

The suspension of my Safari is very bad. It really gives bad jerk on small speed breakers. Sometimes even the passengers might slightly jump from their seats on humps. The Safari is new and has not done even 1000 kilometers till now. Is it usually bad for new vehicles and get better over the period of time??

Last edited by recker_us : 14th March 2011 at 23:04. Reason: .
recker_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 08:22   #3154
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,395
Thanked: 1,142 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
The suspension of my Safari is very bad. It really gives bad jerk on small speed breakers. Sometimes even the passengers might slightly jump from their seats on humps. The Safari is new and has not done even 1000 kilometers till now. Is it usually bad for new vehicles and get better over the period of time??
Get the tire air pressure checked, usually new cars have over inflated tires.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 18:22   #3155
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 180
Thanked: 22 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Get the tire air pressure checked, usually new cars have over inflated tires.
Spot on Luke.
I checked the tyre pressure after your advice. I found that all tyres had atleast 45 psi of pressure while the recommended is 30 for front and 35 for rear.

One of the front type under the driver seat had 48 psi pressure. Not sure why the large dealership like KHT motors cant even keep a simple pressure gauge. :(.

Now I have driven the vehicle for more than 900 kilometers with those extremely high tyre pressure and suspension jerk. Would that have caused any damage to the tyre and to the suspension.

Last edited by recker_us : 15th March 2011 at 18:22. Reason: typo
recker_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 19:07   #3156
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,395
Thanked: 1,142 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Now I have driven the vehicle for more than 900 kilometers with those extremely high tyre pressure and suspension jerk. Would that have caused any damage to the tyre and to the suspension.
Glad it was just over inflated tyres, you will not not have caused any damage to the tyre or suspension, they are built to take on much more than that.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 19:33   #3157
BHPian
 
richie4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Goa
Posts: 585
Thanked: 180 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Well recker_us, regarding the screeching sound I hope you mean a klunk/thud like sound when you turn the steering to max, well if it is so then dont worry it is a "kind of mechanism from tata" that tells you that your steering is turned completely and most of us Safari owners suffer from this, I tried getting this thing fixed many times but eventually it came back so you can get it done at your first service so dont worry about it too much.

Well also regarding the headlight levelling sound, if you are hearing a whining sound (small sound) then its normal.
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 20:02   #3158
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 180
Thanked: 22 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Well recker_us, regarding the screeching sound I hope you mean a klunk/thud like sound when you turn the steering to max, well if it is so then dont worry it is a "kind of mechanism from tata" that tells you that your steering is turned completely and most of us Safari owners suffer from this, I tried getting this thing fixed many times but eventually it came back so you can get it done at your first service so dont worry about it too much.

Well also regarding the headlight levelling sound, if you are hearing a whining sound (small sound) then its normal.
your are right Richie.. Yeah, headlight levelling is a whining sound.. So, can ignore it.

But when i move the power steering to max, the sound not of a klunk/thud, its more like the sound of some liquid getting slowly poured from one vessel to another from a height of say one feet.


One more question, which is the best place to change the turning radius of Safari?? Is it the TASS or wheel alignment guys?

Last edited by recker_us : 15th March 2011 at 20:06. Reason: .
recker_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 09:16   #3159
BHPian
 
verditer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hosur, Tamilnadu
Posts: 322
Thanked: 71 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
your are right Richie.. Yeah, headlight levelling is a whining sound.. So, can ignore it.

But when i move the power steering to max, the sound not of a klunk/thud, its more like the sound of some liquid getting slowly poured from one vessel to another from a height of say one feet.


One more question, which is the best place to change the turning radius of Safari?? Is it the TASS or wheel alignment guys?
JP - dont worry about that noise from steering, it is 'normal'.
Even mine has the same noise at extreme turn.

Only get worried when you get this sound in regular steering - that means the power steering fluid is leaking and is almost empty.. This happened to me.
verditer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 16:24   #3160
BHPian
 
moodswings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 205
Thanked: 10 Times
Smile re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Guys my RPM meter stopped working at about 50K kms and when i revved there ia krrr sound which seems to be coming from behind the Dashboard. Its really annoying and i would like to just point out that i have gotten:
1, The entire clutch place assembly changed.
2. my Turbo sensor at the air filter wires have some issue from the last year and the turbo sometimes works and sometimes doent. I asked the Dhingra guys in Gurgaon and they said i will need to replace the entire wiring of the engine bay as there is no separate part for the Turbo senson.
3. I have gotten the timing belt changed twice(it broke) and its due for a change again as the dealer ship guys tol me to get it changed every 20K kms.
4. There r so many rattling noises from the car that it gets seriously irritating sometimes, however i have succeeded to stop 90% of them.
5. The front power windows have always had a issue, I get them tightened every now and then.
6. I too had experienced the crankshaft pulley belt slipping so they changed the entire assembly free of cost some time back as it was a manufacturing defect.
7. Now the diff. cross has a issue and i just took time from the dealership to get it replaced.

will wrtie more when i remember. It sure has been a very high maintainene vehicle but i absolutly love it.

I would be really thankful if someone could help me with the Turbo-Sensor issue as it results in a lot of power drop and it takes away the thrill of driving the 2.2.

Regards,
Preet
moodswings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 19:14   #3161
BHPian
 
Kairalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 145
Thanked: 24 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

My trucks headlights are are focused more towards the sides rather than the center. I know the way to adjust the vertical alignment but not the horizontal one. The user manual does not help in this case. Does anyone know how to do it?

Mine is a 2010 Safari Lx BS4.
Kairalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 19:08   #3162
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 690
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

About 1/2 ltr. tap water was accidentally poured in my safari's overflow tank. Is there any potential issue? Do I need to drain the radiator?

Thanks.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 19:13   #3163
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,610
Thanked: 14,894 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Its okay, no issues. Drain your radiator every 60,000kms.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:50   #3164
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
My trucks headlights are are focused more towards the sides rather than the center. I know the way to adjust the vertical alignment but not the horizontal one. The user manual does not help in this case. Does anyone know how to do it?

Mine is a 2010 Safari Lx BS4.
There is no Horizontal alignment in E4 headlamps, if your vertical alignment is right (TechSpec® : TATA SAFARI DICOR 2.2l HEADLAMP Level Adjustment), the beam should fall in place.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:24   #3165
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,030
Thanked: 221 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
your are right Richie.. Yeah, headlight levelling is a whining sound.. So, can ignore it.
It is the headlight leveling motor at work. I would be worried if there is NO sound when I operate the leveling switch
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:52.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks