Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th June 2011, 13:31   #3391
BHPian

Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Charge the battery fully and wait for a couple of hours and then check the battery voltage. It should be around 12V.
The possibility is the car was not running enough to keep the battery fully charged. If you do the running in the evening for short distance with AC and accessories on, your battery may not get the chance to charge to the full. Lead Acid batteries don't take kindly to being kept in a low charge level.
Thanks

I charged ( Ran the car) for about 1.5 hours last night. Things seems to be ok since then,

However the car has been running at least 50 Kms every day for the last 3-4 days so the charging should have been enough.
anshuman77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 13:36   #3392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman77 View Post
Thanks

I charged ( Ran the car) for about 1.5 hours last night. Things seems to be ok since then,

However the car has been running at least 50 Kms every day for the last 3-4 days so the charging should have been enough.
Are you sure you did not leave the fog lamps on and your parking lights on.
With parking lights on, fog lamps will run even without key in ignition.
In daylights, its impossible to make out of parking lights are on.

Your other option if to turn off engine, disconnect battery, and connect an ammeter across the terminal to the connection wire.
If you see significant current, it means you have a leak somewhere, some short.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 13:42   #3393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

Your other option if to turn off engine, disconnect battery, and connect an ammeter across the terminal to the connection wire.
Thanks TSK,
Although I am fairly certain that I had the lights off, But it is a possibility as I usually keep the front fog lights on.

I am giving the car for 24 month service tomorrow, will try and check the current flow as you suggested at the service station.
Old 6th June 2011, 13:44   #3394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman77 View Post
Thanks TSK,
Although I am fairly certain that I had the lights off, But it is a possibility as I usually keep the front fog lights on.

I am giving the car for 24 month service tomorrow, will try and check the current flow as you suggested at the service station.
Also open the bonnet and see if you have accidentally left the in bonnet light on. I have done this once, and this lead to battery draining completely.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 13:47   #3395
BHPian

Quote:
Also open the bonnet and see if you have accidentally left the in bonnet light on. I have done this once, and this lead to battery draining completely.
I checked this already. This was not the case.
Old 6th June 2011, 22:49   #3396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u
Hi all, Well now that the rains have started, the safari RVM's get completely covered with rain drops when its raining which makes driving a bit difficult so is there any product or method so as to reduce this problem , I mean like any kind of mirror polish that will reduce the amount of water droplets sticking to it or something?
Easiest way is to Take a cigarette and use the tobacco from it to clean the glass, this makes the water to flow down without standing on the glass.

Last edited by gowda79 : 6th June 2011 at 22:53.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 09:39   #3397
BHPian

From yesterday, I found that the brake lever is having increased play, and I have to push in much more to get the brakes engage.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the rains - planning to take to KHT to check it out. Will need to check the pads also. I'm guessing it just needs some cleaning and tightening, pads might still have some life left. She is at 22000 kms now and I brake hard often.

Any advice?
verditer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 11:35   #3398
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks TSK, after ruling out everything I am now pretty certain that I probably left the Fog lamps on, As I usually switch them on while coming out of the basement parking.

Last edited by anshuman77 : 7th June 2011 at 11:56.
Old 7th June 2011, 15:33   #3399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Easiest way is to Take a cigarette and use the tobacco from it to clean the glass, this makes the water to flow down without standing on the glass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hi all, Well now that the rains have started, the safari RVM's get completely covered with rain drops when its raining which makes driving a bit difficult so is there any product or method so as to reduce this problem , I mean like any kind of mirror polish that will reduce the amount of water droplets sticking to it or something?
I'm not sure about LX but EX and above come with heated ORVMs. If you switch on the rear defogger, it also activates the ORVM heaters, which clear up the ORVMs of rain drops..

The more pestering thing in rains is that the side windows collect rain drops, which in turn hinder the view of the ORVMs. you can use some rainx type solution for this..
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 14:38   #3400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
From yesterday, I found that the brake lever is having increased play, and I have to push in much more to get the brakes engage.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the rains - planning to take to KHT to check it out. Will need to check the pads also. I'm guessing it just needs some cleaning and tightening, pads might still have some life left. She is at 22000 kms now and I brake hard often.

Any advice?
Took her to KHT today - Sharanappa found the brake oil almost empty, and leaking from front right brake caliper side. He replaced the washer and topped up the oil, braking is back to good now. Just an update.
Old 8th June 2011, 17:14   #3401
BHPian

I've been facing a Krrr sound when accelerating in my 1 week old safari done about 800kms. It is present only at hard acceleration and not present when I have a light foot on the throttle. When I cruise at 90 kmph in 5th gear, with the engine ticking over at about 2000rpm, there is no sound.
I have read in this thread previously that this sound or something similar to it was traced to the EGR valve which was subsequently replaced in the newer models. My safari is a march 2011 manufactured care. Any inputs? Should I be worried?
simpleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 10:35   #3402
BHPian

Simpleman - I think you should not be worried.. The krr sound is present many of the new Safaris. Though I do not know the exact cause, the krr sound seems to be normal and not to be concerned about.. However, the thing that concerns me still is the hiccup issue that shows up occasionally - you experience a momentary hiccup and powerlag as she accelerates and vanishes after acceleration and when the rpm is > 1800 or so.

However, the hiccup, as I've learnt, can be controlled by revving her hard once in a while, meaning keeping her at 3K rpm or more for 10-15 secs either on the run or standstill. The manual also recommends to rev her hard to keep the catalytic converter functioning normally. I don't know if the hiccup issue is related, but it works.
Old 9th June 2011, 23:30   #3403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Simpleman - I think you should not be worried.. The krr sound is present many of the new Safaris. Though I do not know the exact cause, the krr sound seems to be normal and not to be concerned about.. However, the thing that concerns me still is the hiccup issue that shows up occasionally - you experience a momentary hiccup and powerlag as she accelerates and vanishes after acceleration and when the rpm is > 1800 or so.

However, the hiccup, as I've learnt, can be controlled by revving her hard once in a while, meaning keeping her at 3K rpm or more for 10-15 secs either on the run or standstill. The manual also recommends to rev her hard to keep the catalytic converter functioning normally. I don't know if the hiccup issue is related, but it works.

Thanks Verditer, I can breathe a sigh of relief now. About the hiccup, I have'nt faced this issue yet.
simpleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 16:27   #3404
Senior - BHPian

Default Safari 4x4 and latest prices

Guys,

Happened to visit the Safari Dicor website today. Finally, the website has been updated to reflect the fact that 4x4 is available only in the VX trim now :( So it is official!!

Also, check out the prices!! Wonder how this plays vis-a-vis the launch of 'Merlin'.
Attached Images

Last edited by cool_dube : 10th June 2011 at 16:36.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 14:54   #3405
BHPian

Hello Guys,

need help from the Safari gurus, a friend of mine is looking to buy a new Safari, he was particular about 4X4 upon enquiring, the 4X4 is available only in the VX model which is way out of his budget 15.7L in Bangalore.
He's now exploring the option of buying and LX model and fixing a front wheel drive (first thing is this possible) He claims it is done in M&M jeeps so it must be possible to fix in Safari also.
if Yes what might be the aprox cost of this modification.

thanks in advance for all the inputs.
arvindmanju is offline   Reply With Quote