Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2008, 23:38   #361
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 46
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
Just thought that I'll post an update. the immobiliser issue is still open! I had written to Tata and I guess that they are still working on it. But I just wanted to paste the E-mail that I received from Mr. Santosh, UV Product Div, Tata Motors. As Per Him the code is not possible to replicate. So a word of caution, Please ensure that you collect the code while taking delivery.
I am surprised TASS hasn't been able to resolve this issue. Loosing the security code is a genuinely possible scenario and they need to have a solution. Actually, the code is not replicated ; it's a piece of data that is unique to each system and it should be possible to retrieve the same based on the serial number of the Minda system. Have you tried speaking to Minda folks directly ?.

cheers,
ak-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 09:57   #362
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 123
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Metal burr in engine oil

The other day, I got engine oil changed at TASS.On closer inspection,I found pieces of metal burr in the cavity between the drain plug and a magnet that is housed within the drain plug.My vehicle has done 20K and I was surprised to find metal burr at this stage !!! Is this part of normal wear or TATA does not do proper honing of the cylinder bores ?
rb2399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 14:20   #363
BHPian
 
gops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 41
Thanked: Once
Default VST Motors, chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
Guys couple of days back i had been to the OMR Checkpoint, TASS at Chennai, because after i had a problem engaging the reverse gear. It was not at all time but say occasionally. The TASS guy checked the car and said that they had adjusted gear rod's and if the problem still persists the gearbox has to be taken out for further checking, i'm not sure whether these guys know what they are doing? Should the gearbox be removed and checked ?? Can someone guide me to some one in Chennai who can help me out in this regard??

Thanks
Ramesh

Ramesh,
If the problem still persists, you can also reach out to Bala service engineer @ VST Motors, Anna Salai, Chennai.
PM me for his contact details.

Thanks,
Gops
gops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 20:18   #364
BHPian
 
moodswings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 205
Thanked: 10 Times
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
The other day, I got engine oil changed at TASS.On closer inspection,I found pieces of metal burr in the cavity between the drain plug and a magnet that is housed within the drain plug.My vehicle has done 20K and I was surprised to find metal burr at this stage !!! Is this part of normal wear or TATA does not do proper honing of the cylinder bores ?
I too experienced the same issue at 8K and i was told tat maybe when the enginne was beng bound one of the extra tappet locks fell into the chamber and got stuck to the magnet. I was suspisiosios so i go evrythign checked etc. I love my Dicor 2.2 ut there are certain things with TATA you have to live with. Like "Trouble again, Trouble again"
moodswings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 20:33   #365
BHPian
 
moodswings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 205
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Mine is April 1st week 08 model: 2.2 EX 4x4 :

Clutch plate & pressure plate were replaced during 1st service.
Slave cylinder was replaced in the recent service.
The above was done due to hard clutch.
Problem now seems to be solved.
Gear movement though is super slick.

Driver seat was loose from day one but they just managed to tighten it to my satisfaction.

Left front window rattle started on a recent trip but was solved.

Turbo manifold hose came loose during a recent long road trip causing loss of power & pickup. Was fixed at a TASS enroute.

Windshield washer fluid leaked off. The hose at the bottom had come off. Solved.

Horn sounded like a torn speaker. horn tuned.

Strange vibration accompanied with a humming coming @ 2500-3000 in all gears and even in neutral. TASS unable to diagnose the problem yet. The jobcard on that is still open. They are waiting to check with other safaris.
You are just one of thoe unlucky ones man...
moodswings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 07:20   #366
BHPian
 
GhettoMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 55
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Tbw/etc

Guys a few technical questions on the 2.2, please forgive if any have been previously answered x amount of times.

1) Does it have Throttle-by-wire / Electronic throttle control or is their an old fashioned accelerator cable?

2) Several times I have seen emergency/hazard lights blinking on several Safari's when parked and doors are open, the lights seem to turn off when the doors are shut is this a OE or an Aftermarket add-on feature. I know this feature was not on my old Safari.

3) Is this "Follow me home" feature in VX just a delayed headlamp off feature? if so, does the safari have Auto On/Off headlamps. IF this feature works differently could you please explain it a bit. Is this the same in EX variant.

4) For those with VX, is there an up/down (angle) adjustment on the the two Headrest mounted LCD screens providing optimal viewing? (as it seems the headrests are tilted forward)

5) From what I have read regarding the immobilizer feature in the VX, EX variants, the system entirely depends on the remote key fobs to enable/disable the immobilizer. Does this mean that the key itself does not feature a chip which is read by a sensor around the ignition switch to enable/disable the feature and instead you have to disable to immobilizer via remote key fob prior to starting the vehicle? Thus meaning that you cannot just unlock the doors via key and attempt to start the vehicle without involving the remote key fob. (what if one looses the remote key fob)

6) I have already learnt that the 2.2 VTT Dicor stickers on both sides can be removed without damaging the paint, can the "safari" "EX/VX" emblems also be removed without revealing holed underneath? how about the Tata logo in the rear? does it have holes behind it?

7) Are the two red "lights" in the rear bumper functional? if so, how is their function triggered.

Thanks in advance for answering these questions.
GhettoMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 12:39   #367
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post
... 7) Are the two red "lights" in the rear bumper functional? if so, how is their function triggered. ...
These lamps are supposed to beam infra-red light to improve the image from the rear-view camera (mounted near the number plate) in total-darkness conditions.

The switch is one of the dash switches, in series with the 'reverse gear' sensor. If you have the rear-view camera installed, keep the switch on always.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 17:38   #368
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post
Guys a few technical questions on the 2.2, please forgive if any have been previously answered x amount of times.

1) Does it have Throttle-by-wire / Electronic throttle control or is their an old fashioned accelerator cable?
No TBW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post
2) Several times I have seen emergency/hazard lights blinking on several Safari's when parked and doors are open, the lights seem to turn off when the doors are shut is this a OE or an Aftermarket add-on feature. I know this feature was not on my old Safari.
Owners must have turned it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post
3) Is this "Follow me home" feature in VX just a delayed headlamp off feature? if so, does the safari have Auto On/Off headlamps. IF this feature works differently could you please explain it a bit. Is this the same in EX variant.
Yes, but even if your parking lights are on and you switch off, they will automatically switch ON and then OFF after 30 sec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post
5) From what I have read regarding the immobilizer feature in the VX, EX variants, the system entirely depends on the remote key fobs to enable/disable the immobilizer. Does this mean that the key itself does not feature a chip which is read by a sensor around the ignition switch to enable/disable the feature and instead you have to disable to immobilizer via remote key fob prior to starting the vehicle? Thus meaning that you cannot just unlock the doors via key and attempt to start the vehicle without involving the remote key fob. (what if one looses the remote key fob)
Its not an RFid type key, Immobilizer gets activated even if you forget to lock, it activates itself, once it detects that the driver door has opened after switch off.

You can disable the immobilizer by using the secure code provided, if you need to use the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post
6) I have already learnt that the 2.2 VTT Dicor stickers on both sides can be removed without damaging the paint, can the "safari" "EX/VX" emblems also be removed without revealing holed underneath? how about the Tata logo in the rear? does it have holes behind it?
All are stick-on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post
7) Are the two red "lights" in the rear bumper functional? if so, how is their function triggered.
Yes, in EX & VX, as rear defoggers using the console button. During braking once the parking lights are switched on.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 18:18   #369
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,049
Thanked: 1,914 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post
Guys a few technical questions on the 2.2, please forgive if any have been previously answered x amount of times.

2) Several times I have seen emergency/hazard lights blinking on several Safari's when parked and doors are open, the lights seem to turn off when the doors are shut is this a OE or an Aftermarket add-on feature. I know this feature was not on my old Safari.
these must be aftermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
These lamps are supposed to beam infra-red light to improve the image from the rear-view camera (mounted near the number plate) in total-darkness conditions.

The switch is one of the dash switches, in series with the 'reverse gear' sensor. If you have the rear-view camera installed, keep the switch on always.
hey, these are rear fog lamps to be used in rainy and misty conditions, not infra red lights!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 21:04   #370
BHPian
 
GhettoMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 55
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hey, these are rear fog lamps to be used in rainy and misty conditions, not infra red lights!
Thanks for clearing that up, this makes sense. The whole infra-red light thing seemed a bit odd though he may have been poking fun at me - perhaps my question was dumb in his opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its not an RFid type key, Immobilizer gets activated even if you forget to lock, it activates itself, once it detects that the driver door has opened after switch off.

You can disable the immobilizer by using the secure code provided, if you need to use the key.
Ok I understand how the immobilizer activates, simply by the driver door being opened after ignition switched off. However, just to clarify; Under normal conditions the immobilizer system is disabled/deactivated via the remote/key fob prior to starting the car?

So in case you lose the remote, you have the option of entering the secure code to start the car, then how and where is this secure code entered?

Thanks in advance again.
GhettoMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 22:26   #371
BHPian
 
Strangerintown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 158
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
No TBW.
Dadu, I believe the 2.2 VTT does have electronic throttle control. If you look closely at the accelerator pedal you will see that it is connected to a position sensor with wires emanating from it. There is no accelerator cable.
Strangerintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 22:46   #372
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post

So in case you lose the remote, you have the option of entering the secure code to start the car, then how and where is this secure code entered?

Here is the disarm procedure documented after actually trying out the disarm operation. It's just a re-worded version of the one listed by Tata Motors/Minda on the back-side of the control unit card. The only addition is the horn disabling step.

1. Make sure the four-digit control-unit code (confidential code) is handy.
2. Open the driver-side door with the key ; the alarm will set off ; remove the horn-fuse [ location as indicated in the pictures; refer earlier post ] ; the horn-alarm should stop now.
3. { RED == the red "lock" indicator in the driver-side instrument cluster } Insert the key in the ignition, turn it to ON position and then to OFF. RED will go off for ~ 5 sec and then start flashing. Count the flashes ; when the number of ON/OFF flashes equals the first digit of the control-unit code, turn ON the ignition and then OFF. RED will ‘vibrate’ to indicate successful match. Then, RED will go off for ~ 5 sec and start flashing again. Repeat for remaining 3 digits. [ Note : In case of any mistake while “keying-in” the code, take out the key, wait for a few seconds and repeat step 3. ]
4. The immobilizer will get disarmed and the engine is ready to start firing !!. Replace the horn-fuse.

The above was posted by someone else on the site. I just copied it from another thread
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 23:13   #373
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,049
Thanked: 1,914 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
Dadu, I believe the 2.2 VTT does have electronic throttle control. If you look closely at the accelerator pedal you will see that it is connected to a position sensor with wires emanating from it. There is no accelerator cable.
thats right, it does have electronic throttle control.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 10:04   #374
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,605
Thanked: 14,877 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
These lamps are supposed to beam infra-red light to improve the image from the rear-view camera (mounted near the number plate) in total-darkness conditions.

The switch is one of the dash switches, in series with the 'reverse gear' sensor. If you have the rear-view camera installed, keep the switch on always.
Umm I they are the rear fog lamps. With headlights on, they can be switched on at will.
Reverse camera usually is connected to rear reverse lights, so when the rear reverse light comes on, the camera powers on
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 10:23   #375
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
... hey, these are rear fog lamps to be used in rainy and misty conditions, not infra red lights!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, this makes sense. The whole infra-red light thing seemed a bit odd though he may have been poking fun at me - perhaps my question was dumb in his opinion ...
Why should I poke fun at you, baba? That was the explanation given to me by the Tata guys when I took delivery of my vehicle, and I have no reason to disbelieve them (I don't use a reversing camera) - it was not an illogical explanation. :red face: If they gave a BS explanation, grrrrr....

Red and blue are the least visible of the colors in fog - yellow is the most; drive in fog and you will know. And were it to be a fog lamp, why couple it with the reverse gear? For rainy conditions, the normal tail light cluster is good enough, including the rather bright white reversing light. But when there are very few visual clues thrown up by white light as sensed by the reversing camera, infra-red and red helps.

PS: Thanks, Tanvir, must try it sometime. The last time I tried on my vehicle, it switched on only when the reverse gear was engaged.

Last edited by DerAlte : 8th December 2008 at 10:31.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:49.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks