Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 14:55   #3991
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 929
Thanked: 974 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Dear all,
I just wanted to know, is there any air filter installed for AC in Safari. If yes, then where it is located and how to clean the same periodically.
If no, then how to keep AC clean? of late my Safari is being extensively used in rural area/jungle/mine etc and i wanted to make sure that AC provides clean and germ free air to passengers.

Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 15:53   #3992
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 447
Thanked: 231 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dear all,
I just wanted to know, is there any air filter installed for AC in Safari. If yes, then where it is located and how to clean the same periodically.
If no, then how to keep AC clean? of late my Safari is being extensively used in rural area/jungle/mine etc and i wanted to make sure that AC provides clean and germ free air to passengers.

Shubhendra Singh
Shubendra - Already some one has asked for this and Tanveer has answered in the negative. There is no air filter. But you can do one thing. Get a Negative Ion generator (Eureka Forbes http://www.eurekaforbes.com/air-puri...r-pureair.aspx for example) might help. I have tried some cheap Chinese made NI Generators which only released Ozone.

BTW, I am not working for Eureka Forbes or earn my livelihood by selling NI generators. Someone in another forum mentioned about EF for HEPA filters and I saved this link for future reference.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 16:32   #3993
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,575
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
Hi,

I noticed black smoke from my car (Tata Safari GX 2010). Is this normal or something is getting wrong?

I noticed the Warning Lamp glowing twice before but it went away by itself before I plan to take it to the svc center.

Twice before, and when the steering wheel is at extreme turns, I heard a noise that is similar to the spring tension coming off, like that of in cycle stands. Should I worry?

Vehicle is at 20K+ and still 10K more for the next service.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Mahesh
You dont redline much daily? Did you see smoke when you revved hard? If so,all's fine as its just the carbon built up and Tata recommends that you rev hard for couple of seconds to flush it out. See manual.

About steering, only at both extremes right? Again, no issues and its normal . Do check other posts about this in this thread.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dear all,
I just wanted to know, is there any air filter installed for AC in Safari. If yes, then where it is located and how to clean the same periodically.
If no, then how to keep AC clean? of late my Safari is being extensively used in rural area/jungle/mine etc and i wanted to make sure that AC provides clean and germ free air to passengers.

Shubhendra Singh
I also want to know how one can DIY clean the blowers etc.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 16:43   #3994
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 136
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
You dont redline much daily? Did you see smoke when you revved hard? If so,all's fine as its just the carbon built up and Tata recommends that you rev hard for couple of seconds to flush it out. See manual.

About steering, only at both extremes right? Again, no issues and its normal . Do check other posts about this in this thread.
No, I dont push hard. Hover around 2500rpm.
I see the smoke typically when I reverse, that's when I watch my back ;-)
Yes, I head that spring tension while backing with wheels turned extreme right.
But where is this noise coming from.
sgmitr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 19:55   #3995
BHPian
 
jealousdiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 268
Thanked: 102 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
No, I dont push hard. Hover around 2500rpm.
I see the smoke typically when I reverse, that's when I watch my back ;-)
Yes, I head that spring tension while backing with wheels turned extreme right.
But where is this noise coming from.
Well the black smoke is soot(carbon) build up and is quite normal . Rev hard once week when the engine is hot and then keep idling for a few seconds before shutting down the engine .

Still if the problem persists use System D while filling up and that should ease it out .

The hissing again is quite normal and is of the Power steering which when clocked to full ends ( L / R) makes the noise . Quite normal and reported by all users , nothing to worry about .
jealousdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 16:56   #3996
BHPian
 
somubj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 123
Thanked: 9 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Guys, am driving to Goa on this Saturday. Will update the group on how it went and if i faced any more niggles with the car.
somubj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:46   #3997
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 136
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Warranty & AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
Hi,

I noticed black smoke from my car (Tata Safari GX 2010). Is this normal or something is getting wrong?

I noticed the Warning Lamp glowing twice before but it went away by itself before I plan to take it to the svc center.
Took the car to Concorde EC (Bangalore). They found 2 errors leading to coolants, but they couldn't narrow it down. So the technician just cleared the errors and cleaned the sensors. Hope I don't get to see the Warning Lamp glowing.

As for the black smoke, yes you guys are correct. Read the book too.

I have 2 more issues to be sorted out:
1) KHT provided a Warranty, but they haven't registered it with the central office. Also, they don't have a record in their accounting system. Have to figure out how to deal with these folks

2) AMC: Asked for a quote in Concorde for AMC renewal (upto 45K kms).
The rep came back saying he doesn't recommend taking an AMC for further kms. The cost comes to Rs.26K upto 45000 kms. But the estimated expense for the 2 more services add up to 22K. So he suggested not to go for it.

Any recommendations?

Happy holidays, drive safe and happy new year 2012.

Cheers .... Mahesh
sgmitr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 16:10   #3998
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delhi/Noida
Posts: 52
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

A problem that i noticed with my Safari 3L today. While starting the car in neutral, there is a slight grinding noise after engine 'turns over' while releasing the key. Does not happen every time. If i switch off the car and then start again, it does not happen. It seems to only occur when the engine is cold and hasn't been running for at least a few hours.

Is the starter not releasing away from the flywheel resulting in the noise? Or can it be the ignition switch?
trance_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 14:41   #3999
BHPian
 
SPEEDY_RACER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 377
Thanked: 116 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
A problem that i noticed with my Safari 3L today. While starting the car in neutral, there is a slight grinding noise after engine 'turns over' while releasing the key. Does not happen every time. If i switch off the car and then start again, it does not happen. It seems to only occur when the engine is cold and hasn't been running for at least a few hours.

Is the starter not releasing away from the flywheel resulting in the noise? Or can it be the ignition switch?
Hi,

i had a similar issue in my safari some time back, but it happened to me only on cold start, not few hours of start but from night till morning and when i start in the early morning i have to try to start at least twice and the vehicle starts, when i took the vehicle to service station they said there is no issue with the vehicle all they wanted me to just get the starter motor to be cleaned and serviced and the problem has gone. but i remember this was quite long back and there was no noise from the engine bay.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 15:24   #4000
BHPian
 
rrsteer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 144022
Posts: 867
Thanked: 715 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi Guys,

I am supposed to visit the service station soon to attend to a couple of symptoms, pointing to a problem in the vehicle. Could you guys tell me what is happening here:

1) A lot of play has developed in the steering
2) At 1500 rpm, in 4th gear and 60kmph, there is almost violent vibration in the steering wheel. It is replicable only in the above parameters
3) Very faint dhud-dhud noticed on the passenger side of the front wheel, when I take the Safari over bad roads
4) Sometimes, and that is sometimes, a khut sound is heard on full turn of the steering

Any pointers on whats causing this?
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 11:36   #4001
BHPian
 
ankur_gupta10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi Guys,

I am supposed to visit the service station soon to attend to a couple of symptoms, pointing to a problem in the vehicle. Could you guys tell me what is happening here:

1) A lot of play has developed in the steering
2) At 1500 rpm, in 4th gear and 60kmph, there is almost violent vibration in the steering wheel. It is replicable only in the above parameters
3) Very faint dhud-dhud noticed on the passenger side of the front wheel, when I take the Safari over bad roads
4) Sometimes, and that is sometimes, a khut sound is heard on full turn of the steering

Any pointers on whats causing this?
All the above sounds like issues with suspension. Also check the wheel balancing. How are your tyres doing? What is the ODO reading?
ankur_gupta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 13:15   #4002
BHPian
 
rrsteer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 144022
Posts: 867
Thanked: 715 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
All the above sounds like issues with suspension. Also check the wheel balancing. How are your tyres doing? What is the ODO reading?
The odo is 105000kms; the tyres are fresh..about 20k old.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 22:42   #4003
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 690
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Need help. I get a strange sound (too lound for a belt noise, more like a metallic sound or bearing noise) sometimes when the car is running, which increases with rpm. Problem is this only happens sometimes, not always. It happened twice after idling the car for some time. One service center diagnosed it as compressor bearig noise but other one said that's not possible as bearing noise would have been evident always.

Last time when the noise happened, it went off immediately after I switched off the engine and restarted.

Sometimes also there is a kind of wind noise (that increases over rpm, and happens even at low rpm).

It does not happen always, so I was unable to show it to TASS. TASS claimed that it was a belt noise and lubricated the belt, but it does not seem to be belt noise (it is too loud to be belt noise, as noted).

Also, there is a sound when the front wheel drops over bad roads, or, for example, while climbing down from a speed breaker that ends abruptly. It never happens while I am driving slowly over bad roads.

They recently worked on suspension bush and ball bearing.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by sumannandy : 29th December 2011 at 22:44.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 13:18   #4004
BHPian
 
ankur_gupta10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Need help. I get a strange sound (too lound for a belt noise, more like a metallic sound or bearing noise) sometimes when the car is running, which increases with rpm. Problem is this only happens sometimes, not always. It happened twice after idling the car for some time. One service center diagnosed it as compressor bearig noise but other one said that's not possible as bearing noise would have been evident always.
Loose belt noise can be really loud. If this is a screeching noise in cold engine, then it is belt noise. Generally they are lazy to correct it because it does not get them much labor/part cost. They are happy to shrug it off. Faced it a lot in my new safari. They finally corrected it, when i said, start in morning on cold engine and figure out the problem. Else i will escalate.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 15:39   #4005
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 19
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

The reversing camera with the mounting plate was found missing last week. It was either removed or fell off the vehicle.
Does anyone know the part number of the OEM camera & how much this would cost to replace?
I would have to get a new plate/shield & have that painted silver too.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-24122011229.jpg  

randomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks