Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th December 2008, 00:41   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Wondering if i should buy a kilo of each of the ratings available, hehe.
hehe, I think TASS replaces the fuse with 30 so that you don't have to carry a "kilo" of fuses.
GhettoMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 09:36   #392
BHPian

Default dicor issues

Hi- Me too faced with the water tank hose pipe it keeps jumping off. The poor quality of the hoses may be the issue. On the other hand I had posted an earlier query on the frequent service light comming on..finally and I say finally (hopefully so) the Tata motors (concorde bangalore) guys figured out that the anti theft wiring had not been done correctly..gave me a replacement vehicle took about 5 working days to sort the same.. finding was short circuit...rewired the whole harness..so far so good for the last two weeks...resoulution time 11months from the date I picked the vehicle..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
Thanks Dadu for the initiation, should help a lot of fellow drivers.

Water tank issue faced on my vehicle too, there is a small out valve about 1 inch from the bottom of the water tank, probably meant for cleaning the tank periodically, the stopper had come off, it is a little difficult to reach as it is at the bottom of the tank, close to the clamp holding the tank to the body, I put a twig to stop the water from flowing out till the next visit to the service station, worked well.
kalsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 09:47   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do you hear khat? Its the idler arm, just get it tightened
Thanks, tsk1979! Feeling that it's more than this noise. Will ask them to get the idler arm checked, and possibly look for any other source too.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 13:06   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats funny, in my 2.2 I tried yesterday, and I could switch on rear fogs with headlights on, front fogs were off!
I'm not surprised - they may have changed it on the 2.2; but I am surprised by Hrag's post since his vehicle is around the same time period as mine.....
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 15:20   #395
BHPian

Hello guys, this is Maurizio Pescatori from Italy

I too have a Safari 3.0 DICOR, rechipped to produce some 138bhp... 8o)

Question: I have just checked out from my mechanic for the 60.000Km service, and was charged an obscene amount of money (200 Euro+20%tax+labour) because they claimed they replaced the 1st diesel filter, also known as "decanter" or "sedimentation" filter.

Now, I know such filter is there to separate good diesel from water and grime, but... I live in a big city (Rome) always fill up at a major station (always the same since bought new) know the pump manager for 20 odd years and never ever had a single problem with their fuel, so...
...I feel sincerely cheated !

What are your thoughts on this ?
Any help is sincerely appreciated.
Thanks
mpescatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 16:12   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Maurizio, it is neither the gas stations' fault nor the manager's. There are minute amounts of water and grime present in diesel fuel (in any country; I have experienced this in Germany, France and USA too), which over a period of time accumulates in the filter. Just calculate the amount of fuel that has passed through the unit over 60K Km. - even 0.000001% by volume will translate to significant volume of the unwanted stuff. The old method used to be clean the unit - nowadays they just replace the unit.

Anyhow, 200 Euros for that unit is REALLY an obscene amount.

Last edited by DerAlte : 10th December 2008 at 16:19.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 16:42   #397
abk
BHPian

Question Known problems free safari?

With all the niggles reported in this thread and elsewhere on TBHP it makes me wonder if Tata motors are actually contemplating of either launching a brand new version of Safari with all these problems sorted (and few new to add with an extra lump of teething issues) or address the known problems once and for all in the production line of the existing safari

By the way - any clue or hints when are they going to launch the next Safari upgrade / new version? If xylo and xover are almost here can the next safari be too far??
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 12:06   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Just to add - the front fogs also need to be on, not just the headlights. Else the rear fogs switch will not activate, even if you keep it pressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Nope - the rear fogs can be switched on (independent of the front fogs) if the main headlights are on.
Quote:
Definitely not in my 3 litre - the switch engages only when the front fog lamp switch is on. Mentioned in the manual too.........
Quote:
Thats funny, in my 2.2 I tried yesterday, and I could switch on rear fogs with headlights on, front fogs were off!
Quote:
I'm not surprised - they may have changed it on the 2.2; but I am surprised by Hrag's post since his vehicle is around the same time period as mine.....
LOL, gentlemen, I stand corrected Maybe I wasn't keeping it depressed long enough - it does work with the headlamp on only! Finally got it going yesterday - took me two years but I got there
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 18:39   #399
Team-BHP Support

Today I spoke to Dana engineer. He told me that for LSD diff oil change only Dana 90 oil is to be used, normally the one used in open diff should never be used.
Anybody have any experience to the contrary?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 19:19   #400
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I spoke to Dana engineer. He told me that for LSD diff oil change only Dana 90 oil is to be used, normally the one used in open diff should never be used.
Will you be getting another chance of talking to this Dana engineer? If so, can you please ask him if the LSD can be fixed on to the open diff of a 2wd Safari.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 19:34   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would say that it kinda makes sense. This recommended oil probably has limited/controlled lubricating properties. Other more 'slippery' oils might make the LSD behave like an open diff! There is a clutch mechanism inside there.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 21:36   #402
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-47 View Post
I am surprised TASS hasn't been able to resolve this issue. Loosing the security code is a genuinely possible scenario and they need to have a solution. Actually, the code is not replicated ; it's a piece of data that is unique to each system and it should be possible to retrieve the same based on the serial number of the Minda system. Have you tried speaking to Minda folks directly ?.

cheers,
Hi,
As earlier posted, I had put up the matter with Tata Motors, they in turn tightened the screws on Prerna motors. In the end how-ever, they replaced the Immobiliser Control Module (located below the Driver seat) and gave me the new code. Problem solved!.
Looks like Tata takes the complaints seriously!....Good News!!!
maheshmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 23:03   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpescatori View Post
Hello guys, this is Maurizio Pescatori from Italy

I too have a Safari 3.0 DICOR, rechipped to produce some 138bhp... 8o)
Can you tell us how exactly you have rechipped yours? I have a 138 bhp box too - made in Italy by Dimension Sport (Rapid 4x4) but it looks like it was tested only in Italy as it overheats the engine in slow traffic here. Am looking to put it back on my truck with a switch that will allow me to turn it off in traffic (or better still with a cut-off based on temperature).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpescatori View Post
Question: I have just checked out from my mechanic for the 60.000Km service, and was charged an obscene amount of money (200 Euro+20%tax+labour) because they claimed they replaced the 1st diesel filter, also known as "decanter" or "sedimentation" filter.
Costs us about Rs.7,000 or about Euro 100-ish here.

The sedimenter is very useful, especially in places where fuel tends to get mixed up with water or particulate matter - the stuff I've seen coming out of the sedimenter when its cleaned is shocking.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 23:08   #404
BANNED

Sorry for going OT on the 2.2 thread:
Steeroid - noticed that your needle was near the 1/2 mark on the D R I V E thread. The only recent instance I have noticed my needle going anywhere near the 1/2 mark was in the Thippagondanahalli OTR where I was navigating slush in 4L 1st gear @ ~3200 rpm for a few seconds.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 22:57   #405
BHPian

Exclamation TASS issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
thanks hrag!! Can you give any name at Concorde ECR. So i can go check up with them. The fellows at OMR don't even know there is an Power Window Lock button in the Safari. When i asked him about that, he simply said its a dummy button and does not work in any safari. I was simply taken aback by this. and so wanted to check with you guys on which place is the best for the safari to be serviced??
Hi Ram,

Some TASS does seem to be taking things lightly, the same thing happened to me for my starter issue (posted earlier on this forum), but after I got in touch with Tata, things were sorted out.

Suggest that you write about this to Tata at their "Greviance Box" link on their website regarding Service Issues. Tata does seem to be taking the complaints seriously. Lets all do our bit to get the best out of TASS!!!

Link
Tata Motors Customer Support :: Complaint

Mahesh
maheshmenon is offline   Reply With Quote