Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd April 2012, 07:41   #4261
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There is too much play in white elephants steering.
Got center pin and steering cross changed recently, but problem got fixed for just few hundred kms.
I did not even drive on bad roads after the change, as I did not want the vehicle to be exposed to terrains not suitable for it. But still, steering pay keeps on increasing.

I am driving like 1970 Rajesh khanna in jeep constantly moving steering left right. What has to be done to come back to the 21st century? Any ideas?
I had the same problem 3 months ago.
First they replaced the steering column under warranty, problem persisted.
Recently got the steering box replaced under EW. It cost me about 2500/- including labour and steering oil, lathe charges, etc
problem is solved but steering feels a little tight with the new box. Im told it will get better with use.

Im told a new steering box costs 45k. EW pays only for reconditioned and max EW claim possible for that part is 11k.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:34   #4262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is too much play in white elephants steering.
Got center pin and steering cross changed recently, but problem got fixed for just few hundred kms.
I did not even drive on bad roads after the change, as I did not want the vehicle to be exposed to terrains not suitable for it. But still, steering pay keeps on increasing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
It cost me about 2500/- including labour and steering oil, lathe charges, etc
problem is solved but steering feels a little tight with the new box. Im told it will get better with use.
Im told a new steering box costs 45k. EW pays only for reconditioned and max EW claim possible for that part is 11k.
+1 The problem is from inside the the power steering box, I had similar problem in my old TCIC Safari after crossing 1 Lac kms, I got the steering box opened and serviced at my mechanics garage (TASC replaced the central link but problem was still there, according to them there are 2 central links one for right wheel and other for left wheel, I got the left one changed).
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 09:17   #4263
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it mandatory to replace timing chain ( and ?) for a 1lac km odo run Safari? Mine was changed to new ones during a recall long back.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 10:25   #4264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Is it mandatory to replace timing chain ( and ?) for a 1lac km odo run Safari? Mine was changed to new ones during a recall long back.
Timing belt is to be changed after 1 lakh kms. So if you got it changed at say, 65K kms, you need to worry only around 1.5L
Since your vehicle is out of warranty, there is no warranty issue involved too!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 10:34   #4265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Timing belt is to be changed after 1 lakh kms. So if you got it changed at say, 65K kms, you need to worry only around 1.5L
Since your vehicle is out of warranty, there is no warranty issue involved too!
Is there a way to check if its 'healthy' ?

And also, is there a lifetime for the EGR valve?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 10:35   #4266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Samir, Thank you very much for your reply. This has been a nightmare for the past week or so.

Could you please also help me out with the approximate cost and parts availability. All I do not want is TASS charging for entire assembly when I could potentially replace just the valves and springs. Also, if possible, let me know if it is available outside and what is it called. Thanks a lot again.

You should get the Feed Pump Kit at any of the FuelInjection Repairs workshop costing Max Rs100/- and some labour. Take your vehicle there and ask them to remove the Filter Assembly and replace the Feed Pump Kit. If at all it is beyond repairs (very Rare) the you can go in for the op plate replacement costing around Rs900-950/-.

I am attaching the pic for the valve and spring. You have to replace them on both sides ie suction (below the hand primer) and discharge side ( before the pipe which connects the filter to FIP.
Attached Images

CRDIsamir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 10:38   #4267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Is there a way to check if its 'healthy' ?

And also, is there a lifetime for the EGR valve?
Of course. Just open the timing belt cover, and visually inspect the belt. If it has started fraying, its better to change it than get stranded.
Let me tell you my example. While parking at night, I sometimes just let the car idle, and listen to engine. At night, when alls quiet I could hear a very faint "wisping" sound.

Of course, service centers are noisy, so they could not hear anything. I asked them to check all belts, and open timing belt cover and all. Guess what. The timing belt was frayed, and about to break anytime. This was around 60K. So the entire timing kit with the belt had to be changed.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:15   #4268
BHPian

A generic question. Have noticed that generally all Safaris make a khat or thatat sound at full turn of the steering. What is the reason for this?

I think this is not related to the issue where the adjustment of the center pin is required. I have seen this sound come from all Safari, whether new or old.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:07   #4269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
You should get the Feed Pump Kit at any of the FuelInjection Repairs workshop costing Max Rs100/- and some labour. Take your vehicle there and ask them to remove the Filter Assembly and replace the Feed Pump Kit. If at all it is beyond repairs (very Rare) the you can go in for the op plate replacement costing around Rs900-950/-.

I am attaching the pic for the valve and spring. You have to replace them on both sides ie suction (below the hand primer) and discharge side ( before the pipe which connects the filter to FIP.
Thank you very much. The problem is not much now, will do it if it comes back again.

Thanks again for the help.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 10:42   #4270
BHPian

Guys,

Need a little help here.

Battery issue:
I had a strange problem with Safari battery over the past few days when I was out there in the mountains. On inserting the key and switching the ignition "on", there was absolutely no response from the car. None of the electricals were working, zilch. Assuming that a fuse had been busted, I looked inside and the fuses were all fine.

The next problem could have been the battery, I thought. So I opened up the bonnet and tried to play around with the battery a bit. Suddenly the electricals came to life as soon as the wire jiggled up a bit.

By the way, other than this jiggling "starting" issue I found one small troubling matter in normal operations. As soon as i switched on the headlights in a running car, the stereo rebooted. Again this happened 3 times and is not happening again.

This same sequence of events, of jiggling the wires and startign, happened at least 4 times during the past 4 days. I assume it to be a weak connection, but is there something else that I should be worried about?
vardhan.harsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 11:13   #4271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
A generic question. Have noticed that generally all Safaris make a khat or thatat sound at full turn of the steering. What is the reason for this?

I think this is not related to the issue where the adjustment of the center pin is required. I have seen this sound come from all Safari, whether new or old.
I agree ,My 20 day old 2012 dicor makes the same noise. Checked with the advisor and he says that all Safaris make that sound and it's not a cause of concern and on the contrary there's no known fix to it.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 11:48   #4272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
Guys,

Need a little help here.

Battery issue:
I had a strange problem with Safari battery over the past few days when I was out there in the mountains.
I have faced a similar issue. In which case i straightaway looked at the battery terminal connection. And sure enough it was loose. I'd say just double check that the terminal wire are tightly connected.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 13:25   #4273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer

I have faced a similar issue. In which case i straightaway looked at the battery terminal connection. And sure enough it was loose. I'd say just double check that the terminal wire are tightly connected.
Thanks buddy. This my first reaction as well, however the terminal connections seems pretty well secured to me. In any case, I have taken the terminal connections out, dud some rubbing using a sand-paper to ensure that they were clean enough. Let us see if the problem resurfaces.

The battery guy checked the voltage across the terminals, it came to a steady 13.0V, but of course he did say, the battery is getting weak you should replace it. My personal opinion on his comment is that he just wanted to make a sale. The battery is only 2 years old and should not warrant a change just now. Also had the battery weak was an issue, at least some lights would have come on during the "problem time".
'.
vardhan.harsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 15:17   #4274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
+1 The problem is from inside the the power steering box, I had similar problem in my old TCIC Safari after crossing 1 Lac kms, I got the steering box opened and serviced at my mechanics garage (TASC replaced the central link but problem was still there, according to them there are 2 central links one for right wheel and other for left wheel, I got the left one changed).
How much did it cost you to get it serviced?

Looks like I have oil leakage (minor) from my power steering box and need to get it serviced. Obviously TASS has said that a replacement would cost Rs. 30k, but they could get it serviced for a much lower cost.

Also, is there any place in Bangalore where I could directly get it serviced?
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 19:44   #4275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
How much did it cost you to get it serviced?

Looks like I have oil leakage (minor) from my power steering box and need to get it serviced. Obviously TASS has said that a replacement would cost Rs. 30k, but they could get it serviced for a much lower cost.

Also, is there any place in Bangalore where I could directly get it serviced?
I did'nt remembered the exact cost but a rough estimate of around 2,000 INR including everything. You could ask your trusted local mechanic outside TASC.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote