Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:10   #4321
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 298
Thanked: 812 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Suman, this problem seems almost certainly to be linked to the diesel filter change.
It is being caused by a vapour lock taking place in the fuel lines.
Get the fuel lines purged and re-tightened thoroughly.
Vapour lock will form more in a hot engine and it takes a few minutes time for the vapour to form; which is why at signals (short stay) and in the mornings (cold engine) you do not see the problem.
Anup sir. That was incredible troubleshooting I must say. This can come only through experience!
vardhan.harsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:11   #4322
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 146 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
My Advise to be on the safer side - replace the battery in the Remote. Though chances are remote some times weak battery may not activate/deactivate immobiliser. Hence just to be safe and sure - replace the battery first...

Then you may want to get your starter motor checked, car battery checked etc..
Thanks for the advise, the remote batteries were changed 6 months ago. When I twisted the keys I could hear relay switching sound which means that the car was unlocked from immobiliser. (or was it?)

I suspect that the battery that I am using currently is a local one (85 Ah which I was using with my inverter). Could it cause such a problem. I will be visiting the SC tomorrow.

Also there is a ghoooo.. ghooo (winding) noise from front at or above 80 kmph, the power steering makes noise (other than the usual sound that it makes on full turning) this soud comes even on slightly turning the steering.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:18   #4323
BHPian
 
rajismine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 514
Thanked: 247 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I suspect that the battery that I am using currently is a local one (85 Ah which I was using with my inverter). Could it cause such a problem. I will be visiting the SC tomorrow.
It is the Battery then. Use a 80 Ah battery meant for this vehicle. I would advise Amaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Also there is a ghoooo.. ghooo (winding) noise from front at or above 80 kmph, the power steering makes noise (other than the usual sound that it makes on full turning) this soud comes even on slightly turning the steering.
Hissing sound it normal. I also get this his even on slight turn these days. Its the pump that makes the sound.. if its a strange sound then could be also because of wheel balancing slightly off...or may be even tie rods starting to fail..
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:27   #4324
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 146 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

@rajismine: The power steering sound I am referring to comes even when driving and a even on slightly turning the steering the sound starts not like hissing its different. I will change the battery.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:24   #4325
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,107
Thanked: 153 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Experts, need your suggestion, my truck has about 1600kms on the odo and is been fun to drive.

have been noticing from intial days that i get a weird noise when at 1600 to 2200rpm on 4th gear, same reduces post 2200rpm.

Thw sound can be noticed at 3rd aswel at times again at lower rpms and most often on ascending....

Should i get this checked with the ASC?

Last edited by lohithrao : 2nd May 2012 at 18:29.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:32   #4326
BHPian
 
rajismine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 514
Thanked: 247 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Experts, need your suggestion, my truck has about 1600kms on the odo and is been fun to drive.

have been noticing from intial days that i get a weird noise when at 1600 to 2200rpm on 4th gear, same reduces post 2200rpm.

Thw sound can be noticed at 3rd aswel at times again at lower rpms and most often on ascending....

Should i get this checked with the ASC?
What kind of noise are we talkign about and where does it come from?

At this rpm, you may at times hear metal vibration sound from the silencer hanger, vibration noise from key chain, things vibrating in the glove box etc etc

If its coming from engine than in 2.2L at 1600rpm, tappets make a noise which is normal I guess
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:40   #4327
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,107
Thanked: 153 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

It does come from the engine bay area and only at lower rpm, i think this is normal? as i think the 4th gear is happy around 2200 upwards?

Yes, maybe be a tappet noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
What kind of noise are we talkign about and where does it come from?
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 08:22   #4328
BHPian
 
CRDIsamir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miraj MH 10
Posts: 120
Thanked: 85 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Faced a problem with my 3.0L at recent Udaipur trip:

When we stopped at a roadside shop for some breakfast, and came back, unlocked the car with remote, inserted keys in ignition and twisted to start the car only to realize that there was nothing happening. I mean odo was blank, engine was'nt craking, I called my mechanic and he said to check fuses, the fuses were alright, he then asked if the immobiliser lock is blinking, no it was'nt (meaning the car is unlocked, the remote is working). After fiddling for around 15 mins suddenly everything came back to normal. I cranked the engine and it started. Don't know what might have happened.

Anybody if have faced similar issue please clarify.


Had a similar problem with a Safari 2.2 which was at my workshop. After fitting the FIP & Injectors we connected the battery the immobiliser started giving hazard signals and would not be cancelled by the remote. Needless to say the vehicle could not be started. The immobilser unit is below the driver seat. Remove the unit and spray WD40 into the connectors and sockets. This will solve the issue.

Regards
CRDIsamir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 12:04   #4329
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 48
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi All,

Just came back to Bangalore from a 2600 Km trip with my beast. Everything went fine and I enjoyed the drive except only one technical issue.
The Check Engine Light appeared on the dash board and stayed for couple of kilometers. I stoppped my vehicle and inspected for any loose connections / oil leaks. But could not find anything. Cranked my engine again. The Check Engine Light stayed for couple of minutes and then vanished. AFter that I did not see that light/ warning again. Last time when this problem had occurred, the error code was related to Swirl actuator sensor problem. They had cleaned the sensor and cleared the error code on ECU.

After reaching Bangalore, I had taken my beast to concorde motors, Mysore road. But they did not have the scanner / Laptop when I reached there. They gave me the reason that some technician had taken them to inspect a break down vehicle.

Anyhow, my beast is due for 30K kms service this thursday.
1. Can anyone let me know the cost of 30K kms service (I do not have any AMC).
2. What other things I should take care / ask the SA other than the things mentioned in the Service Manuals ?.
3. Do I need to get the Engine mount bushes checked ?
4. If the same error code appears this time also, should I ask for the replacement of the sensor? (The SA tells that there is no problem with the vehicle or the sensor).
How do I escalate this issue beyound SA and take it to the next level.
shams_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 13:02   #4330
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,607
Thanked: 14,893 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

shams, if your safari is a 4x4, make sure you get all the stated oil changes in the service book done. Many dealers ignore transfer case/front diff oil change, and some even put wrong oil in the rear diff. The LSD of 4x4 requires a different spec oil.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 13:29   #4331
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,107
Thanked: 153 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Folks, more on this, the noise which appears in 4th gear get audible in 1500 to 2300rpm, only when i try to increase the speed or pust the pedal on 4th.

After talking to Hari and Kishore i felt its something to do with tappet sound and once i add up some kms this should reduce.

Got a TD done alomg with the senior technician of Tata ASC, he was of a opinion that it maybe from clutch release bearing but am not sure on this.

i dont want unnecessary opening-up of gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
It does come from the engine bay area and only at lower rpm, i think this is normal? as i think the 4th gear is happy around 2200 upwards?

Yes, maybe be a tappet noise?
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 15:43   #4332
BHPian
 
param22k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 89
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hey Fellow Mortals!

Got a problem with my 2.2L (2008) and request your advise. The vehicle is at the service center for checkup on engine noise and I've been informed that all the four injectors have to be replaced. This has been verified by technicians from Lucas. Estimate is around 50k. Current mileage is 79k+. There is also a history with the injectors as they were earlier replaced (@ approx 56k mileage, June 2011) under warranty. My knowledge of engine and vehicle operations is limited but even as a layman I'm unable to digest that injectors can go bad twice in the two and a half years running life of the vehicle. As per service manager the injectors have gone bad due to bad fuel, which is again hard to swallow.

Shouldn't the injectors that were replaced @ 56k be lasting longer? Even if I do pay for this repair, I fear this problem cropping up again in a few months and costing more money.

Request your quick suggestions / advise on this and thanks in advance.
param22k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 16:02   #4333
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 146 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Hey Fellow Mortals!

Got a problem with my 2.2L (2008) and request your advise. The vehicle is at the service center for checkup on engine noise and I've been informed that all the four injectors have to be replaced. This has been verified by technicians from Lucas. Estimate is around 50k. Current mileage is 79k+. There is also a history with the injectors as they were earlier replaced (@ approx 56k mileage, June 2011) under warranty. My knowledge of engine and vehicle operations is limited but even as a layman I'm unable to digest that injectors can go bad twice in the two and a half years running life of the vehicle. As per service manager the injectors have gone bad due to bad fuel, which is again hard to swallow.

Shouldn't the injectors that were replaced @ 56k be lasting longer? Even if I do pay for this repair, I fear this problem cropping up again in a few months and costing more money.

Request your quick suggestions / advise on this and thanks in advance.
Instead ask them for repairing\cleaning the injectors. The servicing of all the 4 injectors should not cost more than 12-13K INR. DICOR Injectors are very sensitive and do go bad if bad fuel is used consistently.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 16:26   #4334
BHPian
 
param22k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 89
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Instead ask them for repairing\cleaning the injectors. The servicing of all the 4 injectors should not cost more than 12-13K INR. DICOR Injectors are very sensitive and do go bad if bad fuel is used consistently.
Talked to them about repair/servicing of the injectors. The service engineer says they can't do that at the Service Center. He has also advised that if I get it done from outside the injectors would run a few months and require replacement again. Regarding quality of fuel, I use fuel from various fuel stations from around the city and doubt all of them would be giving out bad quality fuel.
param22k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 18:34   #4335
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 146 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Talked to them about repair/servicing of the injectors. The service engineer says they can't do that at the Service Center. He has also advised that if I get it done from outside the injectors would run a few months and require replacement again. Regarding quality of fuel, I use fuel from various fuel stations from around the city and doubt all of them would be giving out bad quality fuel.
He speaks bluff. I have repaired my burnt Injectors (Safari 3.0L) and they are running for past 20K kms without any problems. Get the injectors repaired outside.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks