Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2012, 12:07   #4351
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,523
Thanked: 1,022 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Fuel filter is around 1750 in the tata workshop. Might be around 1400 in outside market.
Bosch service center in Delhi has it for 1000/-
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 07:00   #4352
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 690
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Guys, I need your advice on the following two issues.

Issue 1:
The car is randomly taking a number of cranks to start. Sometimes it starts at half crank, sometimes it takes a number of cranks. The problem started after alternator repair recently. The fuel filter circuit is also replaced. Battery is about 6-7 months old. Pump is also repaired and the head was replaced.

Issue 2:
There is a humming noise at the speed of 60-70 kmph while coasting at 4th or 5th gear. This is possibly not engine noise, because even if I rev the engine in 2nd gear uptom 40kmph (about 3000 rpm) there is no noise. In 3rd gear also there is no noise. The noise is only at 4th or 5th gear at speeds above 60kmph.

I recently had a 1400 kmish Kerala trip on good road/bad road/no road and even drove at high speed, but there was no issue. The engine pulls very nicely from idle rpm after a recent treatment of System D.

Help.

Last edited by sumannandy : 14th May 2012 at 07:07.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 10:30   #4353
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,604
Thanked: 14,878 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Issue 2:
There is a humming noise at the speed of 60-70 kmph while coasting at 4th or 5th gear. This is possibly not engine noise, because even if I rev the engine in 2nd gear uptom 40kmph (about 3000 rpm) there is no noise. In 3rd gear also there is no noise. The noise is only at 4th or 5th gear at speeds above 60kmph.

I recently had a 1400 kmish Kerala trip on good road/bad road/no road and even drove at high speed, but there was no issue. The engine pulls very nicely from idle rpm after a recent treatment of System D.

Help.
This is bearing noise. You need to get your front bearings changed.
The rubber seals will also need to be changed.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 11:45   #4354
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,132
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Lately, I am hearing knocking sound " Tok Tok Tok" in the range of 2000-3000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Would a not so good diesel cause this ? or i am missing something.
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 12:23   #4355
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,482
Thanked: 1,065 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Issue 1:
The car is randomly taking a number of cranks to start. Sometimes it starts at half crank, sometimes it takes a number of cranks. The problem started after alternator repair recently. The fuel filter circuit is also replaced. Battery is about 6-7 months old. Pump is also repaired and the head was replaced.
Was the alternator repaired at the ASC? Seems like it is not charging the battery properly. Was the output voltage checked post repair using a multi meter? Was the rectifier changed? Get the alternator checked at a good electrical mechanic for rectifier functioning and the output voltage consistency using a multimeter and the issue should be rectified.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 12:23   #4356
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,266
Thanked: 320 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Yesterday, I removed films from all 9 glasses of my Safari. After removing there was big shock. During first and second service I had complained about channel or some wire rubbing window glass of driver side. I was in impression that it has rubbed the sun film and TASS guys assured be they had corrected the problem.

But, yesterday I came to know it has actually rubbed glass as well and there is clear cut rubbing sign.

I will visit to TASS coming Saturday complaining it and would demand replacement of driver door channel and glass completely under warranty.

Wanted to confirm, is the glasses covered in warranty? It is actually manufacturing defect.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 12:26   #4357
BHPian
 
Harry1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 65
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Gentlemen,

I need your advise on the following issue I am having with my new Safari

Issue: After few days of purchase, the vehicle started moving to the left hand side. Complained about it on first free service. They said they resolved the issue by aligning the wheels. It was find for few weeks and the problem started after coming back from a long trip. At 6000+ kms gave it at the service center. They kept the vehicle for 2 days and gave it back. They mentioned changins some pins etc, and did a complete aligment again. As usual it is fine few few weeks again.

Now I am at 10200kms and took it to an outside alignment shop for wheel balancing, rotation and alignment. He mentioned there is a camber problem and it has to be fixed by the service center.

Today I gave it again to the service center. Is this something serious which I think it is as the tyres may wear out early, and I am not sure if I have to pay for this as this a problem with the vehicle from the first service.
Harry1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 13:04   #4358
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 690
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This is bearing noise. You need to get your front bearings changed.
The rubber seals will also need to be changed.
Thanks. Any idea on the approximate cost?

The service adviser told me that it could be rear differential bolts (4 bolts @ Rs. 3k each) but then another supervisor told me that it could be the bearing. The noise is not loud though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Was the alternator repaired at the ASC? Seems like it is not charging the battery properly. Was the output voltage checked post repair using a multi meter? Was the rectifier changed? Get the alternator checked at a good electrical mechanic for rectifier functioning and the output voltage consistency using a multimeter and the issue should be rectified.
Thanks. The alternator was repaired at the ASC. The rectifier was also replaced. I will ask them to check the output voltage.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 14:00   #4359
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 71
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi Everyone,

Need your guidance on the following issues that I am facing with Jan-12 Safari VX 4X4. It has completed 10k kms.

Issue 1 : From Friday, I am hearing a strange Krrrrr noise when the turbo activates at 1800-2000 rpm. The noise is evident in each gear. Before and after the rpm range vehicle is behaving normally. I feel that the noise is from turbo bearing. Any idea?

Issue 2 : From the first day I am facing the famous issue of vehicle moving towards left. Have given it to TASS multiple times but no luck. Shim adjustment was also done but still no luck. Any suggestions how i should go about resolving this problem?

Thanks
Naman
naman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 16:07   #4360
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 298
Thanked: 812 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman07 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Need your guidance on the following issues that I am facing with Jan-12 Safari VX 4X4. It has completed 10k kms.

Issue 1 : From Friday, I am hearing a strange Krrrrr noise when the turbo activates at 1800-2000 rpm. The noise is evident in each gear. Before and after the rpm range vehicle is behaving normally. I feel that the noise is from turbo bearing. Any idea?

Thanks
Naman
I've experienced this at times in the 3300 - 3600 rpm change, when i rev so high. It has been rectified and diagnosed as a missing rubber snubber somowhere and at that frequency resonance happens and creates that Krrr Krr noise, and that too quite violently.

Just check for some damaged rubber component in the underbelly. Some metal vibration which was supposed to be damped, is not being done so. This should also happen at stand-still I believe.
vardhan.harsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 23:48   #4361
BHPian
 
Born 2 Be Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DILLI
Posts: 372
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

Guys my new safari is pulling to the left when i brake and not otherwise. Also till when do i have to take it easy while running it in its at 880 kms on the odo

Cheers
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 07:58   #4362
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,523
Thanked: 1,022 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild
Guys my new safari is pulling to the left when i brake and not otherwise. Also till when do i have to take it easy while running it in its at 880 kms on the odo

Cheers
A brake setting/cleaning will set it right. I had a similar problem after brake pad change , was due to broken caliper pin.
v&v is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 12:57   #4363
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 141
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Thanks. Any idea on the approximate cost?

The service adviser told me that it could be rear differential bolts (4 bolts @ Rs. 3k each) but then another supervisor told me that it could be the bearing. The noise is not loud though.e.
The front wheel has two bearings and costs approx 1.2k. Humming noise is mostly due to faulty bearings.
bkishore_77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 16:55   #4364
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 71
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
I've experienced this at times in the 3300 - 3600 rpm change, when i rev so high. It has been rectified and diagnosed as a missing rubber snubber somowhere and at that frequency resonance happens and creates that Krrr Krr noise, and that too quite violently.

Just check for some damaged rubber component in the underbelly. Some metal vibration which was supposed to be damped, is not being done so. This should also happen at stand-still I believe.
Thanks Harsh. It does happen at stand-still as well. Will get the turbo components checked this weekend. Nothing surprising to find the nut loose. Have already found quite a lot of nuts loose in the vehicle from factory including the steering wheel nut.
naman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 02:30   #4365
BHPian
 
SPEEDY_RACER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 377
Thanked: 116 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi All,

i am recently hearing from my driver who is driving the vehicle in India is complaining that quite frequently when he is driving the vehicle he is feeling a loss in power(not regular) and some times the vehicle is not moving beyond 80kmph is there some thing which i have to see before taking it to the service centre.

the vehicle will not be driven for next 1 month after sunday as the driver is going on a holiday for 1 month and i will come to India in June, so wanted to check is there some thing which the driver can Check or take it to the local work shop and get it checked before taking it to the Service centre.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks