Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th July 2012, 12:05   #4516
Team-BHP Support

Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
My Beast Just did 5 K kms and is ready for it's 2nd service. I've already covered almost half the country on it DL - RJ - MP - CG - RJ - DL. Here are some issues that i plan to get sorted next Sunday -

1) Front lighter socket - non functional
Ask for replacement.
Quote:
2) Brake pads making noise - ineffective braking
Brake pads will be cleaned, and this will be fixed for 2-3000kms
Quote:
3) Right wiper blade bent - Saw it bent 1 fine day ( not sure happened itself or someone did it intentionally )
This is probably intentional
Quote:
4) Balancing/Alignment - Car drags itself towards right side
Camber is out. Good luck. My advice. Go to a good tire shop. They will do a better job. Camber adjustment costs 300-400rs
Quote:
5) Fuel cap issue - Has a mind of it's own ( opens itself while driving ) ..Got it fixed in first service but it's acting funny again
Open fuel cap. Pull it downwards slightly. See if it works fine. If it does not, pull it upwards. This is what they will also do
Quote:
6) Rearmost door latch - Doesn't open at all ( Got 2 latch sets changed during 1st service but no luck )
Replace rear door
Quote:
7) Temp gauge stays for a long time at the initial level before coming up suddenly to the half spot
Feature
Quote:
8) squeaking sounds from the doors
Buy WD40. Spray on. WD40 will be your good friend. I always keep a can handy
Quote:
Are the above mentioned very common issues? Also is there anything else in specific that i need to get checked before i go to TASS?

Need advice from Gurus
Do not tell them about minor issues like doors squeaking. The less they touch your car, the better.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 13:47   #4517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do not tell them about minor issues like doors squeaking. The less they touch your car, the better.
I so totally agree with you on that! Over the years I've learnt to either live with the squeaks or work on them myself as TASS have a tendency to turn a minor squeak into a major fault that'll take away hours of your peace.
param22k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 14:30   #4518
BHPian

Hi all,

Got a new problem recently,When I try to start the car, I just get a "click" sound but the engine does not power up, this happens first two times but on the third try the engines starts up as normal as ever, As much as i can figure it's a problem with the starter, I have given the car to the local TASS and their electrician told me that most probably the problem is due to the starter "solenoid". Is there anything else that can go wrong?
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 14:55   #4519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ask for replacement.

Brake pads will be cleaned, and this will be fixed for 2-3000kms

This is probably intentional
Thanks for those answers TSK . Little wary about getting the entire rear door changed but would keep that in mind if it doesn't get fixed this time too.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th July 2012 at 20:49. Reason: Please use selective quoting as quoting a long post causes inconvenience to our Mobile readers, thanks
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 15:02   #4520
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for those answers TSK . Little wary about getting the entire rear door changed but would keep that in mind if it doesn't get fixed this time too.
See, they will open up the door change the latch. Then central locking wont work. Then they will change something else, and interior light will stop working.
Ask them to fix it, if its not fixed, ask for a new door.
BTW, is the inside latch not working, or outside. If its the inside, check for child lock
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 15:20   #4521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
When I try to start the car, I just get a "click" sound but the engine does not power up, this happens first two times but on the third try the engines starts up as normal as ever,
Under normal conditions (if no fault) that click without start is typical of the immobilizer being activated. Try with your other remote. Else, also check wiring to immobilizer.

I dont expect this to be more than just a shot in the dark, but give it a shot.
Quote:
1) Front lighter socket - non functional
Check for blown fuse. Possibly caused by a design fault. How to identify ? Connect any other device to it - like a mobile charger. Insert the charger and twist it a few times. it may get shorted from the inside & blow the fuse again.

Last edited by condor : 24th July 2012 at 15:27.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 16:02   #4522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Under normal conditions (if no fault) that click without start is typical of the immobilizer being activated.
Well the first time it happened I thought the same,tried but the problem was still there. I also thought this was just happening in the morning after a cold start but the problem reoccurred many times during the day. Anyways as I have given the car to the TASS I will report as to what they do as a solution.
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 17:22   #4523
BHPian

Thumbs up re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Open fuel cap. Pull it downwards slightly. See if it works fine. If it does not, pull it upwards. This is what they will also do

Replace rear door

Feature

now those were few good advices in a funny way (actually sensible with TATAs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Under normal conditions (if no fault) that click without start is typical of the immobilizer being activated. Try with your other remote. Else, also check wiring to immobilizer.
How many remotes are supplied with Safari? Normally other cars are supplied with one remote only and just a spare key (without remote)

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 17:44   #4524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
How many remotes are supplied with Safari? Normally other cars are supplied with one remote only and just a spare key (without remote)
You get 2 remotes (one each with a set of 2 keys) with the Safari - at least somewhere TATA scores
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 20:00   #4525
BHPian

My A/c belt makes a noise on the cold engine. I told the service advisor to get it tightened. He told me that the belt needs replacement as it is cut. The funny part is that it was changed last year, after almost four years. When i asked the service advisor to show me the damaged belt in the car, he said, that it is inside the casing, hence i cannot see it.

Can the gurus please confirm, where exactly the A/C belt is?
ankur_gupta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 08:41   #4526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
The AC belt is exposed; it is never inside a casing, because the AC compressor that needs to be driven is not inside any casing!
It is the timing belt that is inside a casing.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 10:32   #4527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ankur,

Pl find a pic of the 2.2 engine where you can see all the three belts. The belt running below the engine oil filler cap is the a/c compressor belt.
Attached Images

n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 13:12   #4528
BHPian

The labor charges are decently high at authorized workshops, still the focus of the service adviser is on fleecing the customers, rather than solving the problem.

I paid Rs. 4400 for an engine oil +filter replace and basic checks+wash.

I gave safari to Oberoi motors - Noida for servicing with 2 complaints -

1. Service light coming intermittently.
2. A/C fan belt screeching noise on cold engine.

Both the above problems remain even after servicing. I was told that -

1. A/C fan belt is damaged and needs replacement - I refused the same, as my previous belt lasted 4 years and i cannot imagine that new belt has gone bad just after an year. When i asked the service advisor to show me the damaged belt, he said, belt is inside the casing, and cannot be seen. Which now i know is a lie, as timing belt is inside casing, and A/C belt is outside.

2. Clutch is hard and needs overhaul - I refused the same, and asked if they have a pedal pressure meter and what is the reading. They said they do not have that meter. They just feel it is hard and needs overhaul.

I don't know when will these authorized workshops improve. I went to Oberoi motors as it was recommended by a friend. How has the experience of others been for this workshop?
ankur_gupta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 13:20   #4529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The labor charges are decently high at authorized workshops, still the focus of the service adviser is on fleecing the customers, rather than solving the problem.
Pretty much the same across brands. A friend recently went for a paid servicing at a M.A.S.S here in BLR. He got an estimate of about 10-11k. Though he has run only 20k, M.A.S.S was asking him to replace coolant, go for decarb, wheel balancing, and quite a few other activities that were not in the list in the owner's manual. (Got my friend to do the routine stuff, and the bill was 6.5k only. I am convinced that was the minimum/required, though)
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 10:43   #4530
BHPian

Quote:
See, they will open up the door change the latch. Then central locking wont work. Then they will change something else, and interior light will stop working.
Ask them to fix it, if its not fixed, ask for a new door.
BTW, is the inside latch not working, or outside. If its the inside, check for child lock
TSK is right, Even i had this issue, Thought to replace the door, fortunately my brother checked the & said that the child lock is engaged. now its working fine.
joshuakeys is offline   Reply With Quote