Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2012, 17:00   #4651
BHPian
 
ankur_gupta10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay View Post
Hi. Today morning it was raining heavily and I took out my safari lx (2 months old) to go for a meeting and the engine malfunction light was on. After the meeting, started the truck and everything was okay. The rain had stopped by now. no error light. Took her for a spin, brother also drove all evening. No error lights yet.

Is this normal? Should I be worried?
You might want to take safari to workshop and get checked the error code on laptop. It might not be serious, but get it checked whenever.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 15:04   #4652
BHPian
 
airfoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 301
Thanked: 52 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

I just bought a used Xenon XT 4x2 with the 2.2L engine. I'd like to know from Safari owners what temperature range on the display does this engine normally display?

The needle on my Xenon is almost always at exactly the halfway mark, with the AC turned on.
airfoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 15:21   #4653
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: India
Posts: 587
Thanked: 647 Times
Cool re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
I just bought a used Xenon XT 4x2 with the 2.2L engine. I'd like to know from Safari owners what temperature range on the display does this engine normally display?

The needle on my Xenon is almost always at exactly the halfway mark, with the AC turned on.
It's normal. It seems like this is your first diesel vehicle from TATA?

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 15:29   #4654
BHPian
 
airfoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 301
Thanked: 52 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hey Irish, thanks for clarifying. Yes, this is my first Tata vehicle.

I was also wondering if it is normal for both the fans (radiator and condensor) to be off even with the AC turned ON? The fans come on only after a certain engine temperature is reached.
airfoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 15:47   #4655
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,608
Thanked: 14,894 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
Hey Irish, thanks for clarifying. Yes, this is my first Tata vehicle.

I was also wondering if it is normal for both the fans (radiator and condensor) to be off even with the AC turned ON? The fans come on only after a certain engine temperature is reached.
There are 2 fans for the engine, and one condenser fan.
The Condenser fan comes on when AC is on.

The fan just between the radiator and engine comes on first. I think this has a single speed(please correct me if I am wrong).

Then the second fan (behind engine I guess) comes on at low speed.
At peak temp (95 degrees), it goes to high speed.

So with engine hot, expect hearing quite a racket
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 17:56   #4656
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,390
Thanked: 116 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Maybe an OT for this thread but is there someone out there who has got his safari replaced owing to recurring issues?
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 10:21   #4657
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,575
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Maybe an OT for this thread but is there someone out there who has got his safari replaced owing to recurring issues?
Havent seen anyone doing it here be it a Tata product or a Merc!

@ TSK, nice one
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 12:52   #4658
VM1
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 39
Thanked: 14 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

harishnayak - I absolutely sympathize with you. My car purchased in May 2012 has already gone through these in 3 months:

71 km (delivery) - No air from rear A/c vent & blower on foot direction. (Tata's definition of PDI?)

500 km - coolant hose burst, coolant completely drained and car stopped on road due to ECU cutoff; replaced under warranty.

<1000 km - I observed coolant leak again, checked at TASC

~ 3000 km - rubber beading under rear spoiler on roof just fell off somewhere on some road.

4500 km - battery light started glowing, alternator faulty! Vendor (Mico I believe) played around with it for 2 days and returned reporting fixed, problem reappeared within 1 km of driving! Sent to another Mico location and then fixed. Spent 3 days at TASC.

I have already started ignoring the rattles & squeaks taking them as "features" and chanting "all izz well ...". As someone had posted, the less they touch our cars the better, so I am learning to live with certain things.

Agreed all this is done under warranty - but so many issues so early, and spending so many days at TASC - only TATA quality can let this happen!
So, I completely sympathize.
VM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 13:05   #4659
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,390
Thanked: 116 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Havent seen anyone doing it here be it a Tata product or a Merc!

@ TSK, nice one
@JKDas - You're wrong , I helped my friend get his Swift ZDI replaced through TBHP thread and otherwise too. Please check this thread , all i wanted to cehck was if there's someone who's got his safari replaced ( please don't take my words otherwise )

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-replaced.html (New Maruti Swift ZDI stalled thrice within 30 days! UPDATE on pg 4: Car Replaced !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1 View Post
harishnayak - I absolutely sympathize with you. My car purchased in May 2012 has already gone through these in 3 months:

71 km (delivery) - No air from rear A/c vent & blower on foot direction. (Tata's definition of PDI?)

500 km - coolant hose burst, coolant completely drained and car stopped on road due to ECU cutoff; replaced under warranty.

<1000 km - I observed coolant leak again, checked at TASC

~ 3000 km - rubber beading under rear spoiler on roof just fell off somewhere on some road.

4500 km - battery light started glowing, alternator faulty! Vendor (Mico I believe) played around with it for 2 days and returned reporting fixed, problem reappeared within 1 km of driving! Sent to another Mico location and then fixed. Spent 3 days at TASC.

I have already started ignoring the rattles & squeaks taking them as "features" and chanting "all izz well ...". As someone had posted, the less they touch our cars the better, so I am learning to live with certain things.

Agreed all this is done under warranty - but so many issues so early, and spending so many days at TASC - only TATA quality can let this happen!
So, I completely sympathize.
I can understand , I'm sure you read this letter that i wrote to TATA MD north india customer service head

Hi Mr Thusoo,
Hope this email finds you in good health. My brother Mr Anant Nayak spoke to you earlier in the day today discussing about the issues that we're facing with our Tata safari DL 14 CG 0700.
This has been my dream car since it was launched in 1998 and after buying multiple vehicles i finally bought the beast thinking that i would keep it/drive it/enjoy it for many years to come however unfortunately my dreams came crashing down when this car started giving me issues and also not too good responses from the service partner autolinks ( Vasant Kunj - Bawa potteries ).
Delivery
Although the car was delivered to me on the decided date but i had to literally struggle with the guy to clean the car properly as it had grease marks and was dirty at multiple places..Instead of the advisor doing it i was the one who went into the nitigrities of it and got it done.

I was not given the demo of how to change the tyre in case of a puncture , how does rear wiper work etc and had to ask for a separate demo at home ( which happened after i insisted post delivery )

I was not given the manual/service book etc for which i had to follow up multiple times and was then delivered to my place
1st Service
A simple service of just washng and check up took my time up from 10:00 am till 7:30 pm and again i had to struggle my way into looking into the nitigrities of getting everything done..especially post washing there are grease marks etc everywhere and when you ask them to clean it they show a indifferent behaviour which pisses off the customer but since it's your car so you have to bear it and get the work done.
The surveys are filled in a pushy manner - I was kind of forced to give atleast some good marks basis personal rapport which i've stopped doing now
2nd Service - NIGHTMARE is the word that comes to my mind
Gave my car for 2nd Service 5 weeks back ( dont remember the date but can provide on request ) and again had to struggle till the evening to get it back and the same issue of them not cleaning it properly and me standing there and doing certain things myself cos i wanted it spic and span
2 Days after the 2nd service the oil started leaking and the AC water started coming into the cabin ( Drivers seat side ). I called up Autolinks and they said please dont bring it on saturday as we are already full etc ( imagine the oil leaking and water coming inside the cabin and this response on top of it..SHOULD I HAVE WAITED FOR ALL THE OIL TO DRAIN OUT/ENGINE TO CEASE BEFORE THEY COULD FIX AN APPOINTMENT?? - Anyways i pushed my way through and went there on saturday. The car was inspected and they fixed the oil leaking issue however again told me that AC issue is a big one and you'll have to come on a weekday..besides me requesting multiple times i was pushed to come during weekday to get it fixed
Since i could not manage on a weekday so i booked the appointment for next saturday ( was also getting SMOG from the AC vents and no cooling too ) ..After i went on saturday they said that it's a BIG task and that i'll have to leave the car till monday EOD since Sunday they were closed. I followed up on Monday and they said that ISKA DASHBOARD KHUL KE SAB THEEK HOGA and that it would take 1 more day..I said OK ( as if i had a choice ) and finally got the car back on Tuesday around 5:00 pm
All looked fine untill i switched on the lights at night and everything went dark in the car ( No cabin light , no cluster light , no back red and reverse lights were working ) - I thanked my stars as atleast the Headlights were working.
I called up Aneesh ( autolink advisor ) again and told him that this time it would be impossible for me to come personally so please get the car picked from my house and drop it back after fixing this issue
SO 3rd CONSECUTIVE SATURDAY/MONDAY ( dont remember ) after 2nd service my car again went to the service station and the light issue got fixed
After driving the car for couple of days this time the rear wiper/rear water booster stopped working and this time the water started leaking from co-drivers side and reached till the back seat :(
I again called up Aneesh yesterday and he asked me to book a fix up again and when i called autolinks booking they told me that they were booked on monday 27th Aug and the entire week and that i need to speak to their manager Mr Rupesh Pathak if i had to get things fixed.
I called up Mr Rupesh Pathak and requested him for the same and he asked me in turn to call up Aneesh and tell him that he has approved it ( he could have very well done it himself - ISNT IT?? )
I called up Aneesh and told him that i needed someone to pick the car/get the issues fixed & drop it back on Monday and then he finally spoke to that booking department with me online and finally it's fixed for Monday ( Luckily i have 2 more cars so i can manage but what if i did not have?? )
I'm SO FURIOUS/AGITATED and FRUSTRATED right now and don't know what to do. Imagine buying a 9 lac + vehicle and it spends half it's time in the garage and rest of the time the owner ( ME ) has to plan 1 day of every weekend for the car.
I'm sure that you'll look into my matter seriously and compensate me accordingly for the tough times that i'm going through and might go through if things don't work out well.
Looking forward for a favourable response from one of the Top TATA MOTORS MD that i'm writing to.
Regards
Harish Nayak
9811427780
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 13:21   #4660
BHPian
 
bantejas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 273
Thanked: 29 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There are 2 fans for the engine, ...
It seems that the reason for two fans is the smaller radiator (5 Ltrs) in 2.2 Dicor. The 3L Dicors had 12L radiators.

Its a riot when the temp needle goes up to the halfway mark with AC on. I then have to blast out the music to ignore it!

Off late, I am seeing the black smoke coming out at around 1300 RPM and 1500 RPM on the second and the third gear. Since we don't drive much in the city, the car was parked without getting cranked for 6 months after which I am seeing this issue. Planning on putting the system d-extra (if I can get) and see if it reduces. Any other suggestions?

Tejas
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 13:24   #4661
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

I have full sympathy with Harish and VM1 but just a request , Can we please keep this thread to technical problems and solutions and move the gripes / complaints to ownership threads.
I have no sympathy whatsoever to TML but this thread is special for owners to maintain their safaris and prevent ripoffs, So keeping this thread neat and searchable is important. I hope you do understand.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 13:30   #4662
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
Off late, I am seeing the black smoke coming out at around 1300 RPM and 1500 RPM on the second and the third gear. Since we don't drive much in the city, the car was parked without getting cranked for 6 months after which I am seeing this issue. Planning on putting the system d-extra (if I can get) and see if it reduces. Any other suggestions?

Tejas
I think you should take it to open ground and press accelarator few times to max RPM and clear catcon and EGR valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
It seems that the reason for two fans is the smaller radiator (5 Ltrs) in 2.2 Dicor. The 3L Dicors had 12L radiators.

Its a riot when the temp needle goes up to the halfway mark with AC on. I then have to blast out the music to ignore it!
Is it really necessary to replace the full coolant every 2 year as recommended by TML or just a workshop ripoff ?

They have increased the coolant prices exhorbitantly and 12 Liters would have created a deep hole in pocket every 2 years.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 13:36   #4663
BHPian
 
bantejas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 273
Thanked: 29 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I think you should take it to open ground and press accelarator few times to max RPM and clear catcon and EGR valve.
I tried doing that once: press the pedal till it reaches 3500 RPM and keep it for 30 seconds, it didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Is it really necessary to replace the full coolant every 2 year as recommended by TML or just a workshop ripoff ?

They have increased the coolant prices exhorbitantly and 12 Liters would have created a deep hole in pocket every 2 years.
Oh yeah, Every two years we need to change the coolant. They did it at 45k service and the water pump busted at 47k. Got it replaced under warranty then. The ODO stands at 54k (driven only about for the past 1 year). No major issues seen as of now.

OT: Man this truck demands more attention than my bullet, let alone the wifey!

Last edited by bantejas : 28th August 2012 at 13:37.
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 13:43   #4664
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 447
Thanked: 231 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
Its a riot when the temp needle goes up to the halfway mark with AC on. I then have to blast out the music to ignore it!

Off late, I am seeing the black smoke coming out at around 1300 RPM and 1500 RPM on the second and the third gear. Since we don't drive much in the city, the car was parked without getting cranked for 6 months after which I am seeing this issue. Planning on putting the system d-extra (if I can get) and see if it reduces. Any other suggestions?

Tejas
It is not such a riot in mine when it touches the standard half way mark in the temperature needle. Only when you shut the engine, you hear the fans running for a couple of minutes before they are shut off by the ECU.

The black smoke being emitted is nothing abnormal for a car running in the city most of the time. You take her for a long drive - briefly at around 2500 rpm or thereabouts. It will clear it. I have faced this occasionally as I drive mine spiritedly most of the time. It just vanishes the moment you accelerate for a few seconds. I am sorry for the late reply to this. Only after I replied I saw Amitk26's answer and your reply. Drive at higher rpm for a little more time and it will go away.

The verdict on using System D is still not out. There are Team BHPians who advocate its use whilst there are some who say it has not resulted in any tangible benefit. I used it once and it didn't result in any noticeable improvement either. Of course it didn't affect it badly either.

Last edited by Prowler : 28th August 2012 at 13:46. Reason: Added more
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 13:55   #4665
BHPian
 
bantejas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 273
Thanked: 29 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The black smoke being emitted is nothing abnormal for a car running in the city most of the time. You take her for a long drive - briefly at around 2500 rpm or thereabouts. It will clear it. I have faced this occasionally as I drive mine spiritedly most of the time. It just vanishes the moment you accelerate for a few seconds. I am sorry for the late reply to this. Only after I replied I saw Amitk26's answer and your reply. Drive at higher rpm for a little more time and it will go away.
Thanks! But my truck is hardly driven in the city. I thought that since it was lying unused for a long time, there was something wrong. I usually am a spirited driver, but in the city, its a different ball game and thats when I found this issue. On the highway, I don't see this at all, went to Coorg and Mysore twice and didn't see this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The verdict on using System D is still not out. There are Team BHPians who advocate its use whilst there are some who say it has not resulted in any tangible benefit. I used it once and it didn't result in any noticeable improvement either. Of course it didn't affect it badly either.
I remember using it once, but I don't remember if it really helped or not. I used it after speaking to the TASS at Concorde Motors Hosur Rd and they said that we should regularly use it (because of the quality of the diesel in India as the reason given).

Tejas
bantejas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks