Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2012, 17:10   #4936
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,107
Thanked: 153 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Yesterday, climbing up a pretty steep climg my truck ran out of breathe, had faced similar thing few months back when the truck was parked on a incline.

Is this normal? even my friends truck which is old as mine faced the same.

thanks
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 18:55   #4937
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
I was talking to the CRM at Rama Motors about the extended warranty. He said that this isn't provided directly by Tata but by a 3rd party, Global(didn't get the full name). Is this true?
Extended warranty is nothing but Insurance from a company, that's why for anything above 1K, its the relationship between SA and Insurance adviser that works.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 14:24   #4938
BHPian
 
ankur_gupta10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Yesterday, climbing up a pretty steep climg my truck ran out of breathe, had faced similar thing few months back when the truck was parked on a incline.

Is this normal? even my friends truck which is old as mine faced the same.

thanks
With cold engine i have also faced this problem. I believe the solution is race hard, and then go ahead using hand brake..
ankur_gupta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 19:15   #4939
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 17 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi All,

My 2008 Safari Lx has two 'simple' issues; need your expert advice to address it.

1. The LHS parking light (both front as well as rear) stopped working; however, the high beam (LHS front) and the brake light (LHS rear) are working fine. I located the fuse for the same in the fuse block at the engine bay and swapped it with the same for the RHS to confirm it to be an issue due to a blown-fuse. Is this fuse available with car accessory shops or do I need to make a visit to the TASS itself to get it replaced?

2. The LHS fornt fog lamp (fitted as OEM accessory at the time of buying the car) stopped working. Looks like due to a blown-out bulb - How easy it is to replace the front fog lamp bulb of Safari?

Any clue on the above is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sunil.
sunil_k_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 09:13   #4940
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,395
Thanked: 1,142 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
1. The LHS parking light (both front as well as rear) stopped working; however, the high beam (LHS front) and the brake light (LHS rear) are working fine. I located the fuse for the same in the fuse block at the engine bay and swapped it with the same for the RHS to confirm it to be an issue due to a blown-fuse. Is this fuse available with car accessory shops or do I need to make a visit to the TASS itself to get it replaced?

2. The LHS fornt fog lamp (fitted as OEM accessory at the time of buying the car) stopped working. Looks like due to a blown-out bulb - How easy it is to replace the front fog lamp bulb of Safari?
Both issues have very simple solutions, a fuse is available almost at every auto parts store, and even replacing the fused bulb is a simple DIY.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 10:44   #4941
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 146 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

My Safari makes aloud screeching sound while cranking sometimes, while screeching sound comes the self stops/slows. Its like suddenly the power is cut-of and then put ON in a second. What might be the problem?
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 11:14   #4942
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,490
Thanked: 1,070 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
My Safari makes aloud screeching sound while cranking sometimes, while screeching sound comes the self stops/slows. Its like suddenly the power is cut-of and then put ON in a second. What might be the problem?
It is the sound of your fan belt either being slightly worn out or loose. Get it checked.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 11:16   #4943
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
... screeching sound while cranking sometimes, while screeching sound comes the self stops/slows. ...
Sounds like the starter bearing is shot. Repairable, I think.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 15:52   #4944
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,029
Thanked: 218 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Yesterday, climbing up a pretty steep climg my truck ran out of breathe, had faced similar thing few months back when the truck was parked on a incline.
Lohith - this is primarily due to the turbo lag. Once you get a hang of "handling" it while starting from standstill on an incline, you will not face this issue. Don't worry, there is nothing wrong with your Safari
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 16:47   #4945
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 146 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
It is the sound of your fan belt either being slightly worn out or loose. Get it checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Sounds like the starter bearing is shot. Repairable, I think.
Has it anything to do with battery? I checked battery voltage, while the engine is OFF it is 12V and while cranking it comes down to 9.5V. Might be one or the other cell is weak?
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 16:56   #4946
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
... engine is OFF it is 12V and while cranking it comes down to 9.5V. ...
Doubt it. Borderline, but battery should last some time.

I said starter bearing because that is the only thing that can squeak while cranking. The idler pulley or the belt will squeak at idling and later too, but hardly while cranking.

Open the bonnet, stand in front, and ask someone to crank. You should be able to locate the squeak.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 17:18   #4947
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,490
Thanked: 1,070 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Has it anything to do with battery? I checked battery voltage, while the engine is OFF it is 12V and while cranking it comes down to 9.5V. Might be one or the other cell is weak?
Possible, but I d suggest you check the belt first and then get the battery checked.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 18:49   #4948
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 17 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Both issues have very simple solutions, a fuse is available almost at every auto parts store, and even replacing the fused bulb is a simple DIY.

Thanks Lukeskywalker. Will try it with the nearest autoparts store.

Keeping some extra fuses in the car looks to be a good idea. I remember collecting some from the SA last time; but they are bigger in size and looks to be used with the ones that are below/right of the steering wheel. Need to keep some of these smaller type fuse with me as well.
sunil_k_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 09:57   #4949
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 26
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hello, i am sure someone must had this issue but i couldn't locate it here..
My safari makes some fan/engine Noice during initial 1-2kms with service light blinking and noice still on when i take the key out. If i drive it after 2 mins everything works fine and service light off and back to normal.

Extended warranty expired this month, would appriciate if someone could please help me out..
Bull_Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 17:09   #4950
BHPian
 
ankur_gupta10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Twin View Post
Hello, i am sure someone must had this issue but i couldn't locate it here..
My safari makes some fan/engine Noice during initial 1-2kms with service light blinking and noice still on when i take the key out. If i drive it after 2 mins everything works fine and service light off and back to normal.

Extended warranty expired this month, would appreciate if someone could please help me out..
It must be some belt noise. As the rubber warms/settles, it becomes OK. Check all the belts and best is leave the car overnight at service center, and go in there morning and replicate. Though the belts do not come under warranty, except timing belt. So Best luck
ankur_gupta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks