Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th February 2013, 09:59   #4996
BHPian

Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
My cigarette lighter socket (of GX 4x2 2011) is not working. Perhaps the fuse is blown up - or at least I'd like to check that.

Is there any way to check the fuse myself?

I read the instructions in user manual. There are two fuse boxes - one under the bonnet and one under the dashboard. It says "identify the burnt fuses by examining the cut wire and replace with same or lower rating spare fuse". I don't know whether I should check both the fuse boxes and where are the "spare" fuses located or shall I just take it to workshop and get it checked.
It is better to identify the fuse and change the fuse yourself. You may need to change the fuse for something else away from TASS one day. Usually TATA leaves a couple of spare fuses in every fuse box. Take that 10 A fuse and identify the fuse by reading the legend on the fuse box cover. They even have a fuse extractor tool in the box. Use that to pull out the fuse.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 19:37   #4997
BHPian

Default Re: Why you must practice the "Idling Rule" with Turbo-Charged Cars

I have a TCIC Safari , may i please know how and what would be the best way to keep it running nice and smooth? also it emits decent amount of smoke in the 1st and 2nd gear if revved hard,but its nominal otherwise.any suggestions to avoid those unburnt diesel particles ?
rosaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 11:50   #4998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
I have a TCIC Safari , may i please know how and what would be the best way to keep it running nice and smooth? also it emits decent amount of smoke in the 1st and 2nd gear if revved hard,but its nominal otherwise.any suggestions to avoid those unburnt diesel particles ?
Using engine oil and petrol additives definitely help. Keep air filter clean. Check turbo charger and other vacuum piper for leakage/tear.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 19:35   #4999
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Symptoms: Left Pulling when leaving the steering or holding the steering straight. Strain in right shoulder.

Possible Issue: Vehicle Height imbalances in left and right side, Caster and Camber issues or toe.

Resolution: Got alignment checked at couple of shops and found that camber of RHS wheel was ok but LHS was +1.6degrees. (The real reason of pulling). It costed me mere 320.00 rupees.

Several calls to ppl to find out who is the expert in MUV in pune who does shim/caster/camber/alignment job. (Yes i had option to go to TASS, but now i have lost trust in them completely)

One person recommended "Atmaram Wheels, Wakad" and then hung up.
Quick search on JustDial led to the location.Landed up there on Wednesday evening after calling him up and confirming he could do camber/caster job (Shim Job).

30 mins under the hood, added shims to left and voila camber was corrected.Adjusted the turning radius, set the steering straight, set the correct height of safari, toe etc.

Went for a long test drive and did all sort of testing , braking, U turns etc and boy I am damn impressed with the work.
What TASS could not do for so long despite cajoling, coaxing them. This guy did the job in 30 mins flat. Highly recommended
Most of the local safari's/ scorpios/tavera/cab owners recommend him highly.

Mods: Please move this post to appropriate thread if required.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 8th February 2013 at 19:41.
Rahulk76 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 20:12   #5000
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Rosaf,
I started putting 2t oil from HP alongside diesel, brand is racer 2 or something. About 20 ml with 20 litres of diesel and I feel it has been smoother ever since. Don't do it every time but every other time you fill up. Also have felt black smoke go down after fitting an Arrowhead filter. Would recommend you trying it out. The Safari at 143k kms is rattling all around but the engine is very smooth

Cheers
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 20:23   #5001
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a TCIC Safari , may i please know how and what would be the best way to keep it running nice and smooth?
REgular use of System-D for me for my TCIC Sumo
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 20:53   #5002
Senior - BHPian

Safari is seeing oil sump seepage from the gasket. I am wondering whats causing it again. Therefore this question to all the safari 2.2 owners. Can you see if there is seepage from your vehicles oil sump gasket. Why I ask this is because i want to verify if the TASS in Pune is getting away by saying that its normal in all safaris.
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 12:40   #5003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Safari is seeing oil sump seepage from the gasket. I am wondering whats causing it again. Therefore this question to all the safari 2.2 owners. Can you see if there is seepage from your vehicles oil sump gasket. Why I ask this is because i want to verify if the TASS in Pune is getting away by saying that its normal in all safaris.
I don't see any seepage in mine. Does your oil level go down every few weeks ?

Last edited by Prowler : 13th February 2013 at 12:41. Reason: Corrected typo
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 13:04   #5004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Safari leaks oil from tappet cover gasket, Sump Oil drain nut (due to absense of a wiser). It so far has'nt possessed any problems of low oil level although there is a patch of oil every second day below the vehicle. But, it does create a very messy engine bay.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 13:42   #5005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I don't see any seepage in mine. Does your oil level go down every few weeks ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
My Safari leaks oil from tappet cover gasket, Sump Oil drain nut (due to absense of a wiser). It so far has'nt possessed any problems of low oil level although there is a patch of oil every second day below the vehicle. But, it does create a very messy engine bay.
Yes, the oil level seems to be going down a bit howsoever, i consulted the 2.2 manual and it says that 200ML per 1000kms is normal consumption of engine. Anything more is bad Not sure if this is considered Normal S.O.P

Having said that, the seepage is from the side of the oil pan where it meets the tranny. Front Crankshaft seal is ruled out. Now only the rear oil seal / or crack in pan or gasket is blown might be the cause OR there is a minor crack in the lower block causing this.(god save me)

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 13th February 2013 at 13:43.
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 14:21   #5006
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the oil level seems to be going down a bit howsoever, i consulted the 2.2 manual and it says that 200ML per 1000kms is normal consumption of engine. Anything more is bad Not sure if this is considered Normal S.O.P

Front Crankshaft seal is ruled out. Now only the rear oil seal / or crack in pan or gasket is blown might be the cause OR there is a minor crack in the lower block causing this.(god save me)
200 ml per 1000 km is too high. Rahul - Normal service interval is 10000 km or one year for Dicor 2.2 which means the engine will be short of 2 l in that time from its 7.5 liter capacity. I think it is a worst case scenario. Your oil level going down may only be due to this leak. The Engine doesn't consume oil on its own. Even my earlier TCIC didn't consume any oil after having run 90,000 km.

Check the gasket and retighten before thinking about cracks.

Last edited by Prowler : 13th February 2013 at 14:24. Reason: Added more information
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 16:28   #5007
BHPian

Quote:
No oil leak in my safari. its almost 5 yrs and 70 km done.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 16:47   #5008
BHPian

Hello Bhpians

Well, Recently took my 6months old safari for Major Servicing(Oil change, filter change etc.), I have given the list of minor glitches, The major problem was the power steering oil leak, When checked out the available oil was next to nothing, I was shocked to see that, So the adviser Promised me that it will be taken care off.

The next day i get a call from adviser, telling me that the vehicle has to be taken out to another service center to get the power steering oil glitch fixed. I was fine with it, The day after that i got my truck delivered.

Drove it for couple of days and found out that, the oil leak is still there, I have noticed it when i parked the car and on the next day there are oil drops on the floor , Called up the adviser and told him the same, he asked me to get the truck to service center.

Today i have taken it to the service center, to my shock, it was not the steering oil leak, The mechanic told me its the inter cooler oil leak. I don't know the ABC of it. He promised me that it will be fixed. I asked him for a replace as its still under warranty, He said its not required.

Experts i am posting the pictures, Please check it let me know if has to be replaced or quick fix is enough with out replacing.

Thanks in advance

Check the amount of oil leakage
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-imag0021.jpg

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-imag0022.jpg

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-imag0025.jpg

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-imag0026.jpg

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-imag0023.jpg

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-imag0024.jpg

Last edited by joshuakeys : 13th February 2013 at 16:54.
joshuakeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 20:04   #5009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
No oil leak in my safari. its almost 5 yrs and 70 km done.
Similar here, 4 years and 22.5k Kms old. Neither do I notice any oil level drop between yearly oil changes too .

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 10:43   #5010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

Similar here, 4 years and 22.5k Kms old. Neither do I notice any oil level drop between yearly oil changes too .

-BJ
4 years and 22.5k, well I did 15k in 6 months, am I Using the truck too much?
joshuakeys is offline   Reply With Quote