Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 15:11   #5041
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

guys,

i am facing a problem in my 3.0 L Safari, which is used very less these days as i am a NRI. My brother usually starts it on weekends and sometimes goes for a spin 10-15 kms.

Everything used to work fine, but suddenly on this weekend, it just dint start up.

All lights in console including Glow plugs etc are all normal and so are cabin and other lights.

But it just doesnt take the self and nothing happens after turning the key.

My brother checked all plugs at both locations and everything looks fine.

I am stumped as to what can be the problem as battery is fairly new and all lights are working fine.

Please advise
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 21:48   #5042
BHPian
 
neel385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 492
Thanked: 185 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Everything used to work fine, but suddenly on this weekend, it just dint start up.
All lights in console including Glow plugs etc are all normal and so are cabin and other lights.
But it just doesnt take the self and nothing happens after turning the key.
Had a similar problem with my Indigo. The TATA guys came and tried all kinds of stuff to figure out the issue. They found nothing wrong with the vehicle. Finally we push started the car and that was it. No problems found, and no repeat of the problem till date (2 years!).
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 22:17   #5043
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 146 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
guys,

i am facing a problem in my 3.0 L Safari, which is used very less these days as i am a NRI. My brother usually starts it on weekends and sometimes goes for a spin 10-15 kms.

Everything used to work fine, but suddenly on this weekend, it just dint start up.

All lights in console including Glow plugs etc are all normal and so are cabin and other lights.

But it just doesnt take the self and nothing happens after turning the key.

My brother checked all plugs at both locations and everything looks fine.

I am stumped as to what can be the problem as battery is fairly new and all lights are working fine.

Please advise
It might be that the immobiliser connector is loose. Does the self work? Or just a tick - tick noise on twisting the key? The immoboliser connector is located below the drivers seat. Ask your brother to tighten it. Also ask him is the central locking is working fine with remote.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 22:50   #5044
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

thanks for the suggestions guys
Its a LX model so no immobilizer and the turning the key for self, it just silent

will ask my brother again though and ask him to get few people and try the push start if that works.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 06:53   #5045
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,395
Thanked: 1,141 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
thanks for the suggestions guys
Its a LX model so no immobilizer and the turning the key for self, it just silent

will ask my brother again though and ask him to get few people and try the push start if that works.
I suspect the key cylinder in this case, the contacts inside the cylinder wear off or have carbon deposits over a period of time, hence the contact in the spring loaded start position gets affected. I used to face this problem in one of my earlier cars, you can open the console around the keyhole and check for overheating/melting of wires going into the key cylinder. Use a thick wire and try to Hotwire and start the car. If it starts this way, then you have isolated the fault.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 07:21   #5046
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,066
Thanked: 241 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
....
I am stumped as to what can be the problem as battery is fairly new and all lights are working fine.
.....
Please check the battery terminals. They should not be loose and should be clean.
If these are in order, it is possible the battery has run down due to insufficient running of the car. You'd need a voltmeter/multimeter to determine the battery status.

It could be that the starter motor bendix is jammed against the flywheel gear. Moving/pushing the car in a rocking motion (forward and back) can help free it.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 19:26   #5047
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Ok the battery is just fine and no doubt about that.

And there is a click sound when key is rotated.

The push start method will need at least 3-4 people as its parked in innermost parking slot and steering doesnt work without engine running.

Looks like i will have to call Tata Breakdown service if they have that in rohtak.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 19:41   #5048
BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 959
Thanked: 213 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Ok the battery is just fine and no doubt about that.

And there is a click sound when key is rotated.

The push start method will need at least 3-4 people as its parked in innermost parking slot and steering doesnt work without engine running.

Looks like i will have to call Tata Breakdown service if they have that in rohtak.
check for starter motor fuse..
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 23:32   #5049
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Ok where is it, i guess in the Engine bay >???
if i remember correctly there 4-5 small black boxes there, do we have a picture somewhere ???
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 13:19   #5050
BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 959
Thanked: 213 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Ok where is it, i guess in the Engine bay >???
if i remember correctly there 4-5 small black boxes there, do we have a picture somewhere ???
when you stand in front of the engine bay, it should be on the right, near the washer tank. a slim one with rubber cover is the ECU, and next to that is a rectangular box with a kink on one side, that contains all the fuses and relays.
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 10:40   #5051
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 447
Thanked: 231 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Looks like the starting motor solenoid. If the car is not used much, there is a tendency for the solenoid to get stuck. A good rap on the body of the starter motor with a wooden mallet can help. If it is too much to do for you, you will have to call the TATA breakdown service.

The part No.10 Solenoid Switch may be the culprit. I show the section from the Tata Dicor Service Manual here.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-safaristarter.gif  

Attached Images
 
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 15:26   #5052
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

thats very informative, will ask my brother to do all this tomorrow morning and let you guys know

Many thanks to all of you
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 15:44   #5053
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,603
Thanked: 14,875 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Looks like the starting motor solenoid. If the car is not used much, there is a tendency for the solenoid to get stuck. A good rap on the body of the starter motor with a wooden mallet can help. If it is too much to do for you, you will have to call the TATA breakdown service.
This happens more often if battery is on its way out.
A quick way to fix this is to put the vehicle in neutral, then roll it a bit, and then engage gear. Then do it backwards with reverse gear.
1-2 such movement frees the stuck valve, and the car starts without issue.
If you have 4-5 people handy, put the vehicle in gear and rock back and forth.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 21:28   #5054
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,107
Thanked: 153 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Noticed a weird sound coming somewhere around the AC belt/compressor area, the sound is something like of a "spark" ( tick, tick) noticed this when the truck is idling.

The technicians replaced the AC belt and the AC idler bearing but that did not help, however when the AC belt was removed/disengaged the sound vanished.

So the next step is replace the compressor and check.

Has anyone faced this issue? any pointers on what exactly maybe the issue?
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 21:44   #5055
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Noticed a weird sound coming somewhere around the AC belt/compressor area, the sound is something like of a "spark" ( tick, tick) noticed this when the truck is idling.

The technicians replaced the AC belt and the AC idler bearing but that did not help, however when the AC belt was removed/disengaged the sound vanished.

So the next step is replace the compressor and check.

Has anyone faced this issue? any pointers on what exactly maybe the issue?
Lohit, Is the A/C Working fine ?

If yes, its simple , Its the Thermostat switch doing its Job Properly. The A/C compressor cuts off ( Klick ) during interim intervals once its achieved its cooling. That is absolutely normal
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks