Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2013, 12:09   #5311
Newbie
 
pparames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 8
Thanked: Once
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

You got it spot on DerAlte, while the car is in running , all of a sudden the engine looses power due to the Lock indicator glowing, Brake lock and power steering stop as a result of this, the only way to get it back running is to press the unlock button on the remote and restart the car, while this happens the first thing I do is to shift to neutral gear to ensure there is no jerk and sudden stoppage ..

Cant imagine the vehicle stopping suddenly on the messy Mumbai roads...
Have called the Minda guy on sat'day, hopefully should haves some breakthrough...

I checked the cables yesterday from the immobilizer and they seem to be ok...no loose ends
pparames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 10:56   #5312
BHPian
 
saurabh2711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune, Bhopal, Indore
Posts: 128
Thanked: 60 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparames View Post
I checked the cables yesterday from the immobilizer and they seem to be ok...no loose ends
I guess DerAlte is referring to the Electronic Unit placed under the driving seat. There is another Electronic unit, under the Bonnet, placed behind the battery. Please have a look at that as well.
Also if possible, can you look at the End to End wiring from under the seat to wherever it ends? May be some wire cuts or short circuits are causing the issue.
Any rodent issues around your parking space

Else, best option take it to TASS & claim warranty if applicable.

Regards,
Saurabh.

Last edited by bblost : 30th August 2013 at 11:20.
saurabh2711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 11:59   #5313
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
... There is another Electronic unit, under the Bonnet, placed behind the battery. Please have a look at that as well. ...
That is the engine ECU. Be careful, it is not so easy to access the cables here.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 18:09   #5314
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 190
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Hello


A quick advise required

I had earlier reported of loose ignition lock connection reported to me by my service advisor during last service . This was a company problem but diagnosed only this service. This causes headlight to not respond , go of during driving etc. After service i had encountered few other niggles like DOOR AJAR lamp staying on which caused the central locking to collapse, the fuel lid button not working and back fog lamps working on its own mind. I also used to get the seat belt not on warning sign when i turned the head lamps and they did not kick in.
Well i decided to give this problems a try and go to Tass when more signs creep up as with my previous experience that if one rushes immediately to them then it starts a chain of more visits
Few days back i had to take of my sunfilm due to RTO and after i removed it the DOOR AJAR problem went off. I was happy but it was short lived as a marble hit my windshield and cracked it
So i decided go go to TASS to change it and also get the headlight problem sorted. I personally feel this problem is due to moisture build up as my car either runs long distance or is in the parking lot though i regularly crank it

Anyways the service advisor called me and told me that the problem can only be solved by changing the ignition assembly as the sensors are dead and they cannot be replaced. Even though only few sensors are kaput they cannot be corrected individually. He had also informed this last time but said that the assembly is not covered in warranty and hence i may have to shell out 8500 for it

Since he knows me he told me that he can do the connection to headlight direct and it may cost me 1200 rs which may work well as all other sensors are fine. My query is

1) what does he mean by direct connection, what sensors is he talking about
2) does doing direct connection affects integrity of the vehicle in terms of overload, ecu etc
3) what things i may have to look out for if i go for this option
4)will it cause any problems with immobiliser and central locking
5) can there be any problems which may cause car to stop

I have a 1000 km fun coming up with family and want to be sure. As such i have no choice but o go for economical option as windshield repair cost and this may set me back by 15k if i go for replacement

There is no other problem in functioning of car.

I have tata safari gx

Last edited by lodhra : 31st August 2013 at 18:11.
lodhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 22:32   #5315
BHPian
 
DDDHRUV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 112
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

I had similar issue with my Safari and was advised by my service advisor to get the key cylinder replaced along with the combination switches assembly. I was wondering how to go about when a friendly mechanic in the ASS suggested me to carefully spray WD40 into the key-slot. I decided to take a chance and now since almost a month, the problem has never reoccurred.
DDDHRUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 12:28   #5316
BHPian
 
BulZire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 346
Thanked: 130 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi,

I have some noob doubts to get cleared , please help guys.

I have a EX currently with around 45k kms on the odo.

1. Last weekend, after returning from a 1000 km trip, i noticed that there was some fluid mixed with water dripping down for around 10 mins from engine bay close to the front right wheel and stopped. The fluid was black in color and did not smell or sticky either. I took a sample of it and compared it with the engine oil and brake oil, it did not match. Closely inspected the engine bay for long time and there is no leak anywhere to my visibility. All the tubes and pipes are intact without any crack or loose connection.
Now i dont see any fluid dripping and the bottom is completely dried out, It happened for just 10 mins after i parked the car.
Would like to understand about what could be the fluid and whats the reason for the drip ?

2. Usually whats would be the life of the front brake pads? during the 40 k service the SA had told me that there is some more life left. Now i am running with 45k kms and wanted to check it and change if required.

3. I am getting a creaking noise from the right side when the whole weight is put on the right front wheel during some big hump maneuvering and all. I doubt it is coming from the leaf spring as the suspension is intact when checked. Does the leaf require constant greasing or something like that ?
BulZire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 13:14   #5317
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Anyways the service advisor called me and told me that the problem can only be solved by changing the ignition assembly as the sensors are dead and they cannot be replaced. Even though only few sensors are kaput they cannot be corrected individually. He had also informed this last time but said that the assembly is not covered in warranty and hence i may have to shell out 8500 for it
Ask him the name of assembly again and part number, Shoot a mail to TML / Area manager and bigwigs including the service manager of workshop in CC to check if the part mentioned is really not included in warranty and if so why.

Raise the question on the TML webpage their CRM system is really good and you will definitely get a response. May be people on this thread can help you with relevant contacts in TML.

I think the SA is trying to fleece you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post

Since he knows me he told me that he can do the connection to headlight direct and it may cost me 1200 rs which may work well as all other sensors are fine. My query is

1) what does he mean by direct connection, what sensors is he talking about
2) does doing direct connection affects integrity of the vehicle in terms of overload, ecu etc
3) what things i may have to look out for if i go for this option
4)will it cause any problems with immobiliser and central locking
5) can there be any problems which may cause car to stop
My hunch is all the above is BS and SA does not know what he is talking about.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 14:06   #5318
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 447
Thanked: 231 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Hi,

I have some noob doubts to get cleared , please help guys.

I have a EX currently with around 45k kms on the odo.

1. Last weekend, after returning from a 1000 km trip, i noticed that there was some fluid mixed with water dripping down for around 10 mins from engine bay close to the front right wheel and stopped. The fluid was black in color and did not smell or sticky either. I took a sample of it and compared it with the engine oil and brake oil, it did not match. Closely inspected the engine bay for long time and there is no leak anywhere to my visibility. All the tubes and pipes are intact without any crack or loose connection.
Now i dont see any fluid dripping and the bottom is completely dried out, It happened for just 10 mins after i parked the car.
Would like to understand about what could be the fluid and whats the reason for the drip ?

It could be the Power steering oil. It will leak only when the engine is running and when you try to turn the steering.


2. Usually whats would be the life of the front brake pads? during the 40 k service the SA had told me that there is some more life left. Now i am running with 45k kms and wanted to check it and change if required.

Unless visually inspected, you can't tell. There are no hard rules about the life of the brake pads. It all depends on the way it is driven in Safari.

3. I am getting a creaking noise from the right side when the whole weight is put on the right front wheel during some big hump maneuvering and all. I doubt it is coming from the leaf spring as the suspension is intact when checked. Does the leaf require constant greasing or something like that ?
There is no leaf spring in Safari. It has coil springs. Tie rods are probably suspect. They cost about Rs1800 each to replace in Tata service centers.
[my answers are in bold]
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 14:36   #5319
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 136
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
1. Last weekend, after returning from a 1000 km trip, i noticed that there was some fluid mixed with water dripping down for around 10 mins from engine bay close to the front right wheel and stopped. The fluid was black in color and did not smell or sticky either. I took a sample of it and compared it with the engine oil and brake oil, it did not match. Closely inspected the engine bay for long time and there is no leak anywhere to my visibility. All the tubes and pipes are intact without any crack or loose connection.
Now i dont see any fluid dripping and the bottom is completely dried out, It happened for just 10 mins after i parked the car.
Would like to understand about what could be the fluid and whats the reason for the drip ?
It could be the Power steering oil. It will leak only when the engine is running and when you try to turn the steering.
I had a similar problem in my Palio but the leakage was like a drop or 2 a day. Also, was told that if the leakage had been worse the whole rack has to be changed (for Palio) costing Rs.18000+. I am not sure where the particular part is serviceable in Safari. However, absolutely no issues to continue the drive but keep an eye on the oil levels.
sgmitr13 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 15:04   #5320
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 136
Thanked: 31 Times
Default DieselTRONIC ECU

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/dies...rol/1474547144

Have anyone come across this product? Costs Rs.18.5K
The product has some tall claims; if such a possibility exists I wonder why the manufacturers didn't bother to look into it.
sgmitr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 10:53   #5321
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default Re: DieselTRONIC ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
... The product has some tall claims; if such a possibility exists I wonder why the manufacturers didn't bother to look into it.
a. Because it is not a complete Injection Control ECU. It is a 'signal modifier' like Pete's and other boxes. The actual grunt work is done by the main ECU
b. Because manufacturers have to conform to rules and regulations, and such box makers don't. The liability is on the user.

Performance enhancement comes at the cost of emission control, whichever way you look at. This is an inconvenient fact that is left out of the 'tall claims'.
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 12:06   #5322
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 136
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: DieselTRONIC ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
a. Because it is not a complete Injection Control ECU. It is a 'signal modifier' like Pete's and other boxes. The actual grunt work is done by the main ECU
b. Because manufacturers have to conform to rules and regulations, and such box makers don't. The liability is on the user.

Performance enhancement comes at the cost of emission control, whichever way you look at. This is an inconvenient fact that is left out of the 'tall claims'.
Thanks for clarifying, the performance part aside I am baffled at the claim of minimum 25% fuel efficiency improvement and 40% max at Economy mode.
Isn't fuel efficiency directly proportional to emission parameters?
sgmitr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 12:47   #5323
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default Re: DieselTRONIC ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
... baffled at the claim of minimum 25% fuel efficiency improvement and 40% max at Economy mode.
Isn't fuel efficiency directly proportional to emission parameters?
Any claims can be made, since they are not verifiable! Or verifiable only at Users' cost. "40% max in Economy mode" is impossible to achieve even if one drives like Bangalore autos - switch engine off and coast downhill!!!

And no, FE is not directly proportional to EC. Not so simple.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 13:38   #5324
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Usually whats would be the life of the front brake pads? during the 40 k service the SA had told me that there is some more life left. Now i am running with 45k kms and wanted to check it and change if required.
The life of the brake pads depends on your driving style. If you rely more on down shifting to slow down, and you drive at a constant speed most of the time, the brake pads would last much longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
He had also informed this last time but said that the assembly is not covered in warranty and hence i may have to shell out 8500 for it
Often service centers tell you things are not covered under warranty, but you have to escalate the issue. Avoid shortcut solutions proposed by the service center - you paid for a feature and you paid for a warranty (the initial warranty is a part of the purchase price; it would have been cheaper without the warranty), so you are entitled to both and don't let the service center tell you otherwise. Service centers don't want to go through the process of providing a part for free and waiting for settlement of accounts from the manufacturer, so they dump their headaches onto customers and even make some quick bucks in the process. If the service center refuses, contact the manufacturer and they'll have a word with the representatives of the service center.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 14:48   #5325
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 136
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Coolant sensor kaput

I wonder why such problems occur after the warranty period. I have been observing these two error codes appearing randomly. This shows up whenever the drive is longer (>30 minutes) but disappears on a first morning start.

I am told that the problem could be either of the 2 sensors (or both), one costing Rs.1000 and the other Rs.180. Also, it can be attended only after the engine cools down, which will take min 3 hours.
Attached Images
 
sgmitr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks