Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2013, 17:00   #5371
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 931
Thanked: 974 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Dear All,
one question - My Safari has completed 4 years and out of extended warrant now. its run 46000 kms. I want to know, should i change timing belt as a preventive maintenance to avoid unwanted belt snapping. I know, it should be changed at around 60000 + kms. During 45,000 kms service, we got it checked by TASS mechanic and he confirmed me that belt is in good condition. But as its out of warranty now, dont want any big repairing bill and stranding at hinterland.

Suggestions please!

Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 22:07   #5372
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,523
Thanked: 1,022 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dear All,
one question - My Safari has completed 4 years and out of extended warrant now. its run 46000 kms. I want to know, should i change timing belt as a preventive maintenance to avoid unwanted belt snapping. I know, it should be changed at around 60000 + kms. During 45,000 kms service, we got it checked by TASS mechanic and he confirmed me that belt is in good condition. But as its out of warranty now, dont want any big repairing bill and stranding at hinterland.

Suggestions please!

Shubhendra Singh
Timing belt change is only required at 100,000 km. Post 60k inspection at service is all that's required.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 23:57   #5373
BHPian
 
sierrakamat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 246
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

The manual mentions change of timing belt at 1lac km or 2years mine snapped at 40000km exactly one day after completion of 2 years in my Tata Sumo Grande 2.2 dicor which has essentially the same engine as the Safari.
This was about 1month after the so called inspection of the belt by the service center guys.To be on the safe side change it.
sierrakamat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 15:04   #5374
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 931
Thanked: 974 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
The manual mentions change of timing belt at 1lac km or 2years mine snapped at 40000km exactly one day after completion of 2 years in my Tata Sumo Grande 2.2 dicor which has essentially the same engine as the Safari.
This was about 1month after the so called inspection of the belt by the service center guys.To be on the safe side change it.
This is exactly my fear. Will definitely change it next month before 4000kms trip.
Thank you.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 16:56   #5375
BHPian
 
richie4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Goa
Posts: 585
Thanked: 180 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

@shubendra changing the belt is a safer option,will save you a lot of trouble unlike me who had to face all the problems. My technician also said my belt is perfect when the car had been to its annual service and in less then 2K kms after the service the belt broke.
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 19:00   #5376
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,395
Thanked: 1,142 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
The manual mentions change of timing belt at 1lac km or 2years mine snapped at 40000km exactly one day after completion of 2 years in my Tata Sumo
No matter what the manual says, it's better to keep checking the condition during every service and change it when the wear is evident, I got mine changed at 80k kms as there was slight wear and it was done under extended warranty.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 19:38   #5377
BHPian
 
Born 2 Be Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DILLI
Posts: 372
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Could someone please share the cost of Timing belt replacement in The Tata safari 2.2
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 19:57   #5378
BHPian
 
richie4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Goa
Posts: 585
Thanked: 180 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

the Timing belt according to me should cost about Rs.2,000 + labour.
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 15:06   #5379
BHPian
 
sierrakamat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 246
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

I was charged some 13k odd for the change included the belt,water pump and some pulleys and bearings .In short whatever components the belt drives have to be changed.
Which works out to a 1/4th the cost of repairs if the belt breaks.
sierrakamat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 19:15   #5380
BHPian
 
richie4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Goa
Posts: 585
Thanked: 180 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Guys a new problem with regards to my timing belt issue, The TASS has done the work of replacing the timing belt with what they call as the F kit along with all the HLA's. According to the workshop manager, the technicians took the vehicle for atest drive and found two problems:
1) Black smoke from exhaust in excess.
2) Knocking sound now and then from engine. This sound comes mostly under acceleration.

According to the workshop manager the injector calibration work has to be done but get this Tata aint covering it. I asked him how come this is not covered since this issue came up only due to the timing belt breaking and there were absolutely no issues of such kind before. Also this injector calibration costs somewhere around 19K and why on earth should I pay for timing belt issues which they could not figure out the first two times the belt was replaced.

Now please suggest how should I go with this and whom do I escalate this further to.
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 23:47   #5381
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,575
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
This is exactly my fear. Will definitely change it next month before 4000kms trip.
Thank you.

Shubhendra
So the newer ones got faulty belts?
If I remember correctly, I got mine's changed as part of a recall long time ago.

@ Richie; is he again trying his 'expertise' on your Safari? Shame on a mechanic who is repeating such shoddy work. Does he know what he did and is doing?

Last edited by jkdas : 18th October 2013 at 23:50.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 23:56   #5382
BHPian
 
neel385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 492
Thanked: 185 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Guys a new problem with regards to my timing belt issue, The TASS has done the work of replacing the timing belt with what they call as the F kit along with all the HLA's. According to the workshop manager, the technicians took the vehicle for atest drive and found two problems:
1) Black smoke from exhaust in excess.
2) Knocking sound now and then from engine. This sound comes mostly under acceleration.

According to the workshop manager the injector calibration work has to be done but get this Tata aint covering it. I asked him how come this is not covered since this issue came up only due to the timing belt breaking and there were absolutely no issues of such kind before. Also this injector calibration costs somewhere around 19K and why on earth should I pay for timing belt issues which they could not figure out the first two times the belt was replaced.

Now please suggest how should I go with this and whom do I escalate this further to.
Firstly, go for a test drive with the TATA guys yourself. Based on what you see/feel, take an independent opinion from a good mechanic. Do you have any Bosch or other independent garages in Goa? They might be a good place to check for options. Based on your own and third party opinions, you can decide on the further course of action.
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 20:13   #5383
BHPian
 
richie4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Goa
Posts: 585
Thanked: 180 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Well Tata has now agreed to carry out the calibration work too so no worries now, Went to check on the vehicle today,they have sent the injectors for calibration job,will be back in a day or two.Secondly another concern is that the technician showed me a slight leakage in the oil separator but this part is out of stock for now and only will be available in 5-6 days,if not come by the day they give my car back. So i'd like to ask you guys how important is this part,safe to take the car first from them and then go next week or so for that replacement? And how much doesthis part cost and how long does it take to replace?
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 20:33   #5384
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Well Tata has now agreed to carry out the calibration work too so no worries now, Went to check on the vehicle today,they have sent the injectors for calibration job,will be back in a day or two.Secondly another concern is that the technician showed me a slight leakage in the oil separator but this part is out of stock for now and only will be available in 5-6 days,if not come by the day they give my car back. So i'd like to ask you guys how important is this part,safe to take the car first from them and then go next week or so for that replacement? And how much doesthis part cost and how long does it take to replace?
Costs around Rs800/-, its basically a mechanism to capture the oil from the engine gases and recirculate it back to the oil sump.

I would say just ask them to clean it up by removing the pipes (one also goes to the air filter) and then see if the leakage is present, ideally it should last a lifetime. No need to worry on it, nothing that can cause any risk.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 03:00   #5385
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,390
Thanked: 116 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi All,

My Safari has done 29000 and is due for the Annual service in 1st week of Nov or 30,000 kms whichever is earlier.

Yesterday while driving suddenly the car lost power and came to a standstill , first the AC temperature automatically came down to the regular temperature and then the car lost power and was not doing above 10 kmph. I stopped the car and turned off the ignition key however the radiator fan kept on making noise till about good 5 minutes which has never happened in the past. Upon checking the coolant everything was fine and upto the mark.

I turned off the vehicle completely for about 15 minutes and then started it again and voila everything was working fine AC/Power etc however after driving for about 7-8 kms the same thing happened again , This time the engine check light turned on and also the engine oil check couple of times.

I had to do this turning off activity couple of times to reach back home. I'll be calling the tata helpline tomorrow however would want to know if something similar has happened with anyone and if Yes, then what's the solution so that i can arm twist the TASS guys if required tomorrow and not just say Ok to everything they say.

Year - 2012 April

Kms Done - 29000

Serviced regularly. Please help.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks