Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:55   #5386
BHPian
 
amolpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 494
Thanked: 1,276 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Hi All,

My Safari has done 29000 and is due for the Annual service in 1st week of Nov or 30,000 kms whichever is earlier.

Yesterday while driving suddenly the car lost power and came to a standstill , first the AC temperature automatically came down to the regular temperature and then the car lost power and was not doing above 10 kmph. I stopped the car and turned off the ignition key however the radiator fan kept on making noise till about good 5 minutes which has never happened in the past. Upon checking the coolant everything was fine and upto the mark.

I turned off the vehicle completely for about 15 minutes and then started it again and voila everything was working fine AC/Power etc however after driving for about 7-8 kms the same thing happened again , This time the engine check light turned on and also the engine oil check couple of times.

I had to do this turning off activity couple of times to reach back home. I'll be calling the tata helpline tomorrow however would want to know if something similar has happened with anyone and if Yes, then what's the solution so that i can arm twist the TASS guys if required tomorrow and not just say Ok to everything they say.

Year - 2012 April

Kms Done - 29000

Serviced regularly. Please help.
Is the car able to idle when the loss of power happens? I had a somewhat similar incident with my Indigo a few years back and it was traced down to a fuel pump fault. Not sure if that's the same issue with your car but the symptoms sounded like been there done that. Good luck with the repair!

Make sure you test the vehicle thoroughly after its back from repair to make sure the reliability isn't going to be a question mark. The last thing you need is a broken down car on a family trip.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 14:33   #5387
Senior - BHPian
 
gowda79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,463
Thanked: 120 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Hi All,



I turned off the vehicle completely for about 15 minutes and then started it again and voila everything was working fine AC/Power etc however after driving for about 7-8 kms the same thing happened again , This time the engine check light turned on and also the engine oil check couple of times.

Serviced regularly. Please help.
Harish, get the alternator and the earthing cable checked and that should solve the problem.
gowda79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 14:50   #5388
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delhi/Noida
Posts: 52
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Before suspecting the alternator, eliminate the possibility of earthing/ground cable being loose/broken. This cable is usually in the engine bay and part of the main wiring harness and would usually be bolted to the chassis/metallic part of the body.

For the alternator, you can do a quick test by connecting a voltmeter to the battery. Start the engine, then connect a voltmeter to the battery terminals and rev the engine to around 2-3K rpm. The voltage should read 13.5-14 V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Hi All,

My Safari has done 29000 and is due for the Annual service in 1st week of Nov or 30,000 kms whichever is earlier.

Yesterday while driving suddenly the car lost power and came to a standstill , first the AC temperature automatically came down to the regular temperature and then the car lost power and was not doing above 10 kmph. I stopped the car and turned off the ignition key however the radiator fan kept on making noise till about good 5 minutes which has never happened in the past. Upon checking the coolant everything was fine and upto the mark.

I turned off the vehicle completely for about 15 minutes and then started it again and voila everything was working fine AC/Power etc however after driving for about 7-8 kms the same thing happened again , This time the engine check light turned on and also the engine oil check couple of times.

I had to do this turning off activity couple of times to reach back home. I'll be calling the tata helpline tomorrow however would want to know if something similar has happened with anyone and if Yes, then what's the solution so that i can arm twist the TASS guys if required tomorrow and not just say Ok to everything they say.

Year - 2012 April

Kms Done - 29000

Serviced regularly. Please help.
trance_nut is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 14:52   #5389
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,604
Thanked: 14,878 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Hi All,

My Safari has done 29000 and is due for the Annual service in 1st week of Nov or 30,000 kms whichever is earlier..
.
.

Kms Done - 29000

Serviced regularly. Please help.
How did you check coolant level. Did you check the radiator? If no, check the radiator.
See if there is coolant inside the radiator.
Your safari most probably overheated and went in limp home mode.
There can be two things
1. Your vehicle actually overheated
2. your temperature sensor has a malfunction

The error code will tell the true picture.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:32   #5390
BHPian
 
BipB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mahe
Posts: 75
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Dears, appreciate your valuable inputs!
My safari has done 24200kms. The third free service seems to be in one year or 30000kms whichever is earlier. My car is now almost 16 months old. Do I still qualify for the third free service? Just wondering whether I should wait for 30K kms or get the service done early?I had checked oil levels at a local mechanic's shop. The engine oil top up was done. No other problems has been noticed so far.
BipB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:36   #5391
BHPian
 
ankur_gupta10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Dears, appreciate your valuable inputs!
My safari has done 24200kms. The third free service seems to be in one year or 30000kms whichever is earlier. My car is now almost 16 months old. Do I still qualify for the third free service? Just wondering whether I should wait for 30K kms or get the service done early?I had checked oil levels at a local mechanic's shop. The engine oil top up was done. No other problems has been noticed so far.
Go to workshop at earliest. To me it looks like you have lapsed the 1 yr/30k service. which also makes tata to void your warranty
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 13:41   #5392
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,390
Thanked: 116 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
How did you check coolant level. Did you check the radiator? If no, check the radiator.
See if there is coolant inside the radiator.
Your safari most probably overheated and went in limp home mode.
There can be two things
1. Your vehicle actually overheated
2. your temperature sensor has a malfunction

The error code will tell the true picture.
Hi Tanveer - I called the TATA helpline guys and what you mentioned is EXACTLY what happened . The entire radiator was dry and this guy poured in over 4 litres of water.

The Engine check light was off when he started the car and never came up all the while that he was there. The Temp gauge never showed signs of overheating / no smoke from the radiator , just overheating.

He has suggested me to go to TASS for further inspection as there was no visible leak from the radiator

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st November 2013 at 17:05.
harishnayak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:10   #5393
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,604
Thanked: 14,878 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Hi Tanveer - I called the TATA helpline guys and what you mentioned is EXACTLY what happened . The entire radiator was dry and this guy poured in over 4 litres of water.

The Engine check light was off when he started the car and never came up all the while that he was there. The Temp gauge never showed signs of overheating / no smoke from the radiator , just overheating.

He has suggested me to go to TASS for further inspection as there was no visible leak from the radiator

The leak is from Radiator cap or look at the inner pipes. Slow leaks there cannot be detected.
As for temp sensor for the needle, it will go up only if you keep driving in limp home mode. Due to limp home mode, the vehicle will not really overheat.
Moreover, I think this sensor needs some water to work, however the ECU sensor can detect this type of overheating.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 20:17   #5394
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,390
Thanked: 116 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The leak is from Radiator cap or look at the inner pipes. Slow leaks there cannot be detected.
As for temp sensor for the needle, it will go up only if you keep driving in limp home mode. Due to limp home mode, the vehicle will not really overheat.
Moreover, I think this sensor needs some water to work, however the ECU sensor can detect this type of overheating.
This is Extremely superb information. Now it's time for the TASS guys to face some heat on saturday and what with me being more informed of what possibly happened.

Now the question is can i arm twist them to give the coolant FOC as it happened soon after the vehicle was there for 15 days for repair ( cosmetic - front bumper , grill , left headlight and some parts at rear ).

Also since the car has done 29 k kms and is due for service in 1st week of Nov so getting it serviced at the same time makes sense to me.

How much damage can i expect for the 30 K supposedly FREE service as per other safari friends here ?

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st November 2013 at 17:05.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 11:49   #5395
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 163
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Safari experts, need some advise.

1. Whats the correct ride height of a safari. I believe it is measured between ground and front wheel arch.
2. How do i check if my turbo is working correctly? Reason: I am not getting the usual push at around 1.8K rpm. Also when i floor the pedal, lot of black smoke. Air filter was replaced recently but no luck.
3. I notice my radiator fan is ON most of the time on long drives. Can this be because of a faulty sensor? Temp meter does not show any excess indication. Is there a dual speed for engine cooling fan?

Mine is Oct 2010 BS4 make and has done 94K.

Thanks for help.
ameaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 13:57   #5396
BHPian
 
sandeepc83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Goa
Posts: 35
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hello friends!I need some help here. I have a May '12 2.2 DICOR LX.It has completed 32000 kms till date and I got its 30000kms fourth free service done just a month back. No major issues till now thankfully. But, now there seems to be some problem developing with the clutch.

(a) When I depress it, I hear a faint noise like 'Kat kat kat' as if someone is tapping on a metal sheet. The sound is rhythmic and continuous as long as the clutch is depressed.

(b) When I accelerate on a slope while climbing up, I hear a low frequency grinding noise from below the engine bay. I somehow have a feeling this is also got to do with clutch.

(c) Clutch is slowly getting harder. I can make out the increase in hardness over the past 6 months or so. After the 30k service it got noticeably harder to a point that in city driving my calf muscles start aching.

However, there is no drop in the performance of the vehicle. It accelerates fine and mileage has not dropped. I took my car to JKRS auto care in Goa today. They bled some air off from the clutch. The SA told me that there may be a problem with the pressure plate but it doesnt warrant any replacement/repair at this time. He told that it can be addressed in the 45k service.

I have an extended warranty.Should I worry about my clutch yet?Please advise, fellow BHPians.

Thanks
Sandeep
sandeepc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 15:46   #5397
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,482
Thanked: 1,065 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
2.
3.
Question No-2: There seems to be an issue with your turbo or its hoses since you see a lot of black smoke upon acceleration and loss of power.

Question No-3: This could be an issue with the thermostat or the temperature sensor which could be preventing the radiator fan from cutting off when the engine cools down sufficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepc83 View Post
(a) When I depress it, I hear a faint noise like 'Kat kat kat' as if someone is tapping on a metal sheet. The sound is rhythmic and continuous as long as the clutch is depressed.
It seems to be the release bearing here which makes that kat kat sound.
I m surprised that the clutch is getting hard at 32k kms. Get it inspected and the faulty components replaced under warranty.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 23:11   #5398
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 163
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

[quote=sandeepc83;3276866]I have an extended warranty.Should I worry about my clutch yet?Please advise, fellow BHPians.

After bleeding, how do you feel. Has it become softer? I believe they change clutch and brake fluid at 30K or 2 years. Have they done this during your service. Please stick to all these intervals correctly since extended warranty claims can get rejected for these reasons in future. EW is from an outsourced agency. Is clutch covered under warranty at 45K?
ameaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 23:15   #5399
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 163
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Question No-2: There seems to be an issue with your turbo or its hoses since you see a lot of black smoke upon acceleration and loss of power.


Thanks for the info but there is no power loss. Its only black smoke. Is there a way to measure turbo output pressure with respect to certain RPM? I checked with concorde guys and they say as long as no error codes are displayed its fine.
ameaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 10:32   #5400
BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 959
Thanked: 213 Times
Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Thanks for the info but there is no power loss. Its only black smoke. Is there a way to measure turbo output pressure with respect to certain RPM? I checked with concorde guys and they say as long as no error codes are displayed its fine.

Black smoke on hard acceleration is normal, and indicates presence of unburnt fuel.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks