Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd April 2014, 18:37   #5581
BHPian

Default Re: Steering "obstruction" problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I recently got the steering overhauled from ZF
This is a problem with the pump? Or could it be due to some other mechanical obstruction in the steering system?
Steering system is a sensitive area and should be checked systematically.

You can only do a few checks on your own as below :

1. Check the hydraulic steering fluid in the reservoir. Top-up if necessary.

2. Start the engine and turn the steering from left extreme to right extreme a few times. Check for presence of foam or bubbles in the steering fluid reservoir, to check if air is being inducted into the system through loose couplings etc.

Mohan
MOHAN_99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:11   #5582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Power steering oil is not blackish. Do check the rod which connects the steering to the steering box. Any leakage around that area?
No leakage from the steering system - the culprit was a slightly loose oil filter. In the steering system, have to replace the center rod as the ball on one side is worn out and there was play.

Rear right brake activation cylinder being replaced - it was jamming.

Brake was pulsing, but I am not sure about the logic they gave: front right disc has grooves of uniform height, no undulations when rotated. Different height grooves along the radius, but no undulations. Only the front right disc, the left one is not as bad. Disk thickness is OK. Brake pads (replaced last year about 10K Km back) have good thickness. So why would the brake pulse?

Sitting at Concorde Mysore Road and dozing - not sure how long they will take.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:18   #5583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No leakage from the steering system - the culprit was a slightly loose oil filter. In the steering system, have to replace the center rod as the ball on one side is worn out and there was play.
Is it the center pin bush you are talking about, or the rod which connects the steering to the pump? Can you post a picture.

Quote:
Rear right brake activation cylinder being replaced - it was jamming.

Brake was pulsing, but I am not sure about the logic they gave: front right disc has grooves of uniform height, no undulations when rotated. Different height grooves along the radius, but no undulations. Only the front right disc, the left one is not as bad. Disk thickness is OK. Brake pads (replaced last year about 10K Km back) have good thickness. So why would the brake pulse?

Sitting at Concorde Mysore Road and dozing - not sure how long they will take.
Rear brake cylinders are problematic in the Safari. Can leak any time. P
Speaking of pulsing, even if the disk rotor is slightly warped(not visible to naked eye), you will have pulsing. How old is the Rotor? Done 100,000kms?

Get them replaced from outside. Much cheaper and its a simple job.
And do not doze off. Stand next to the vehicle and make sure these guys really change everything they claim to do.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:09   #5584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it the center pin bush you are talking about, or the rod which connects the steering to the pump? Can you post a picture. ...
The heavy rod going right across below the engine - joins the idler link and the link to the wheel on both sides. The Ball joint to the idler link is what has substantial play.

Quote:
... Speaking of pulsing, even if the disk rotor is slightly warped(not visible to naked eye), you will have pulsing. How old is the Rotor? Done 100,000kms? ...
50K, which is why I was perturbed. I have told them not to touch it, since even I was expecting only warping or uneven undulations to cause pulsing. Will get it done outside
Quote:
And do not doze off. Stand next to the vehicle and make sure these guys really change everything they claim to do.
No, I was joking about dozing. These guys know what they have in store if they do any hanky panky with my vehicle.
Old 24th April 2014, 16:23   #5585
Team-BHP Support

Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Once the vehicle grows old, the remote control starts to rust and all, and one remote has gone bad. I am wondering, can we replace the remote?
Very important as its connected to the immobilizer.
So new remote, or the entire central locking and immobilizer has to be changed?
Where to get new one?
What is the cost?
Old 24th April 2014, 17:15   #5586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Once the vehicle grows old, the remote control starts to rust and all, and one remote has gone bad. I am wondering, can we replace the remote? ...
Didn't you get another remote when you got delivery? Usually this is in a packet with a short connector cable for the immobilizer, the ICE manual and a couple of other things. Check - you might have stashed away this packet somewhere and forgotten.
Old 24th April 2014, 20:50   #5587
BHPian

Quote:
... and one remote has gone bad...
Quote:
Didn't you get another remote...
I think tsk is saying 1 of them has gone bad

It has been reported on this forum that MINDA (OEM Safari lock vendor) has responded to customer's request and have fixed remotes issues outside TASS. I think you can touch base with their customer care?

[OT] My wagonr is 12 year old and both remotes (Nippon, MGA) still going strong while Safari's never worked beyond ~5' away from day 1

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2014, 17:27   #5588
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I think tsk is saying 1 of them has gone bad

It has been reported on this forum that MINDA (OEM Safari lock vendor) has responded to customer's request and have fixed remotes issues outside TASS. I think you can touch base with their customer care?

[OT] My wagonr is 12 year old and both remotes (Nippon, MGA) still going strong while Safari's never worked beyond ~5' away from day 1

-BJ
Can you share contact of the customer care. I could not find any numbers on whom to call etc.,

If anybody knows that is the frequency of the Safari remote (315MHz, or 433MHz etc.,) I can order a learning remote and then train the new learning remote.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 25th April 2014 at 17:32.
Old 25th April 2014, 17:33   #5589
BHPian

Quote:
Can you share contact of the customer care. I could not find any numbers on whom to call etc.,

If anybody knows that is the frequency of the Safari remote (315MHz, or 433MHz etc.,) I can order a learning remote and then train the new learning remote.
Try 1800-10-22777 as listed on their site.
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2014, 18:01   #5590
BHPian

Quote:
So new remote, or the entire central locking and immobilizer has to be changed?
Where to get new one?
What is the cost?
TSK, quoting my experience with MINDA guy, which i had posted few months back in this same thread. See if it helps you someway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Today the service person from Minda came and fixed the problem in less than 2 minutes. He just reset the software program and Bingo , It worked.

He charged Rs 300 for the service and suggested me to use both the keys. Like one key for 3 months and the other for next 3 months. As per him, the program in remote chip may go dead if the remote is not used for longer period.

My spare key case was slightly misaligned, so thought of changing the case and got the below details from him

New remote case is Rs 300.
New remote case with newly programmed chip board is Rs 950.

I will change the case sometime later as he did not carry a new one.
BulZire is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 17:00   #5591
Senior - BHPian

For all those diehard fans out there.
Laser cut Safari detail.

For your viewing pleasure Safari 4*4 2.2 engine.

Courtesy Tata Motors display at PCMC Science Center.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-1398598059408.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-1398598079053.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-1398598094414.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-1398598117044.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-1398598135373.jpg  

Rahulk76 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 12:23   #5592
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
TSK, quoting my experience with MINDA guy, which i had posted few months back in this same thread. See if it helps you someway.
Whoa 900 INR for a remote!
Anyways. Do you have some idea about the frequency (313MHz or 415MHz?)
I plan to buy a learning remote, but first I need to know the frequency band.

On a related note, got some front suspension job done.
The LHS axle boot was leaking grease, so got that replaced too. Axle oil seals are good, but they should have been replaced at 65K I think. When I go for Axle oil change I will ask them to change all the axle oil seals too.

Last but not the least, once you open up the vehicle you spot so many leaks.
For example, oil filter leaking some oil, Turbo hose leaking some oil, brake oil minor leak.

got everything tightened.
When you have a 100,000 kms+ vehicle I guess its good to go over all the hose clamps and pipes with a fine toothed comb and tighten everything that leaks.
Old 6th May 2014, 11:56   #5593
BHPian

Default Electric seats for Safari

Hi team,

Not sure if this is the right place for the query, but my post in a related thread seems to have gone unnoticed.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3427541 (HELP! Recliner Sofa mod for Tata Safari)

So here is my question again.

Its a given that Safari seats are indeed designed for comfort and long distance ride. I'm looking at possibilities of replacing the driver and passenger seats on my 2010 Safari with electrically adjustable seats. Could one find a suitable seat in the used market ? I'm not looking at spending huge $$$ on seat upgrade, but was pondering on the idea.

Has anyone in the forum done such a thing ? Not specifically on a Safari or SUV in general but any car for that matter. I want to know if it is doable - what additional wiring, the mounting points etc. If so, what would be the best place to hunt for such uses seats ? any cost estimate would also help.

Regards
Bugs
bhagathmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 14:38   #5594
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Electric seats for Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
... Its a given that Safari seats are indeed designed for comfort and long distance ride. I'm looking at possibilities of replacing the driver and passenger seats on my 2010 Safari with electrically adjustable seats. ...
What makes you say that the Safari seats are meant to be comfortable on long rides only?

And how does electrically-adjustable seats alleviate that problem? Electrical adjustment doesn't change the nature of the seat, it only replaces the manual controls (fore-aft, back tilt, height) for convenience. [Some cars retain the settings for the driver(s), so that in case the settings are changed e.g. during service, getting the original setting back is a cinch - one button press].

Most cars in India don't have even seat height control that Safari has.
Old 6th May 2014, 14:50   #5595
BHPian

Default Re: Electric seats for Safari

Quote:
What makes you say that the Safari seats are meant to be comfortable on long rides only?
I never meant to say that Safari seats provide comfort only for long drives. Apologize if my sentence gave out the wrong meaning here. For me its equally comfortable on long distance as well as city drives.

Quote:
And how does electrically-adjustable seats alleviate that problem? Electrical adjustment doesn't change the nature of the seat, it only replaces the manual controls (fore-aft, back tilt, height) for convenience. [Some cars retain the settings for the driver(s), so that in case the settings are changed e.g. during service, getting the original setting back is a cinch - one button press].

Most cars in India don't have even seat height control that Safari has.
I'm looking at electrically adjustable seats only for the convenience sake and not as a solution to improve comfort levels. I would love to have the ones with memory settings so even if people play around with it for their position i can get it back with the touch of a button.
Regards
Bugs.
bhagathmp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote