Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th March 2015, 15:56   #5881
BHPian

Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Now I have a new problem and that is with the clutch paddle of my one year and 10 month old beast. The shocking battery problem was barely fading from memory when I found the clutch paddle is not fully coming up once released after shifting gears. It comes up barely 3/4th of its original return trajectory. I suspect a malfunctioning spring attached to the paddle but not sure.

There is no problem in pick-up or anything that we associate with a normally functioning paddle.

Can anyone throw some light on this?
I guess check the oil level first else its the faulty slave cylinder
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 16:21   #5882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
I guess check the oil level first else its the faulty slave cylinder
Not sure which oil container to check for Clutch Oil. Can you suggest the container type and position because the engine bay of Safari looks like a huge space with lots of things messed up with each other.
BeingCynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 16:27   #5883
BHPian

Look here and confirm with your owner manual

The three white boxes with yellow caps alongside the firewall are for: 1.) Power steering 2.) Clutch 3.) Brake

I have had a 3L and now the Storme so not really aware of sequence in your 2.2 Dicor but better to check all three
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-dsc03813.jpg  

Last edited by rajismine : 25th March 2015 at 16:30.
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 17:58   #5884
BHPian

Quick update on my problem.

Booked an appointment with Concorde Motors and got my beast checked for Clutch problem. Found out that the Master Cylinder had given up. Not sure how but it had. The part was changed and it was covered under the warranty.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-inv.png

Now My Question - Can the master cylinder fail so easily and so quickly? Kinda worried with the state of affairs with my beast.
BeingCynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 12:50   #5885
BHPian

I am facing a new problem in my car since couple of days. Whenever I start A.C. after couple of minutes I am getting a sound for 4-5 seconds like something is grinding sounding like "Grannnnhhh". Then it goes off. There is no sound when A.C. is switched off.
Seems like A.C Fan problem? I checked A.C. Belt it was ok. Please help me
mandyrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 16:02   #5886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Now My Question - Can the master cylinder fail so easily and so quickly? Kinda worried with the state of affairs with my beast.

It does not go bad generally this early. U seem to be a bit unlucky here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
I am facing a new problem in my car since couple of days. Whenever I start A.C. after couple of minutes I am getting a sound for 4-5 seconds like something is grinding sounding like "Grannnnhhh". Then it goes off. There is no sound when A.C. is switched off.
Seems like A.C Fan problem? I checked A.C. Belt it was ok. Please help me
Loose belt, but ignore for time being. When it increases. And if your vehicle is under warranty, bang the door of tata..
ankur_gupta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 21:46   #5887
BHPian

Alright, major issue solved today.

Was getting sedimenter light on and off for a couple of weeks. Tried draining diesel from sedimenter, didn't help. Drained diesel from front diesel filter, didn't help. Had both filters cleaned, didn't help. Got both filters changed, and fuel tank and line cleaned; didn't help. Then I started getting service light off and on with the engine shutting mid-drive a few times. Nothing showed on the scanner.

On thorough checking of the engine wiring by electrician found shorting at 3 places. The wiring had touched engine parts and insulation got burnt off. After the wires were fixed, still got sedimenter and service lights (now persistently). The scanner now showed errors with various sensors like throttle, turbo, sedimenter, etc. Finally, turned out that the shorting had conked off the ECU. Got it replaced with a used ECU that cost 13k. Everything perfect now. Phew... weeks of troubleshooting, and I can finally enjoy the beast again. Poor thing is getting old on me .... sigh!
param22k is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:25   #5888
BHPian

Left Front Power window is giving problem. Any one have idea we can use single channel with old motor. Cost of Single channel without motor is around 1200. I had fitted complete Single channel in Front RH side and that is work fine till day.
mandyrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 00:37   #5889
BHPian

Hey guys, I have a problem with my clutch. I can feel the bite of the same only somewhere above half way just before releasing the pedal. Is this a sign of a clutch overhaul or can it rectified in some other way?

Just for my knowledge,If the entire clutch mechanism need to be changed then how much can I expect the total cost to be considering all components such as clutch plate, pressure plate, cylinders, and associated parts+ Labor?

Last edited by richie4u : 12th April 2015 at 00:40.
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 17:36   #5890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hey guys, I have a problem with my clutch. I can feel the bite of the same only somewhere above half way just before releasing the pedal. Is this a sign of a clutch overhaul or can it rectified in some other way?

Just for my knowledge,If the entire clutch mechanism need to be changed then how much can I expect the total cost to be considering all components such as clutch plate, pressure plate, cylinders, and associated parts+ Labor?
Bleed the clutch, and see if that helps. If there is no acceleration loss, continue to drive. Clutch mechanism costs around 5.5k, labor 3k. in TASS cost would be 15.5k including parts and labor.

You may not change cylinder. They cost around 4k (both master and slave)+ labor in open market. Dont know the TASS rate

Last edited by ankur_gupta10 : 13th April 2015 at 17:38. Reason: cylinder part missed
ankur_gupta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 14:17   #5891
BHPian

Quote:

Dear richie4u,
How many kms have you done with this clutch?
If you do not feel any power loss then the clutch is fine. Get it checked and bleed if necessary.

If clutch change is necessary, then always change the set (plates and bearings) for better results and longer life.
TheG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 17:30   #5892
BHPian

@ankur_gupta10 and @TheG2, thank you for your replies, The vehicle has done 65+K and I did go in for a clutch kit replacement+ cylinders today just as a preventive maintenance for the future.

Got another query,The clutch set has been replaced by my FNG but he had a problem bleeding the clutch the last time I visited him today. I know that it is done from the slave cylinder,but the mechanic was saying that he has trouble accessing the point from where it is bled(although he is currently trying as we speak), is there another way or is the guy doing something wrong? What is best way to do the same.

Last edited by richie4u : 14th April 2015 at 17:32.
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 21:56   #5893
BHPian

Quote:
@ankur_gupta10 and @TheG2, thank you for your replies, The vehicle has done 65+K and I did go in for a clutch kit replacement+ cylinders today just as a preventive maintenance for the future.

Got another query,The clutch set has been replaced by my FNG but he had a problem bleeding the clutch the last time I visited him today. I know that it is done from the slave cylinder,but the mechanic was saying that he has trouble accessing the point from where it is bled(although he is currently trying as we speak), is there another way or is the guy doing something wrong? What is best way to do the same.
Bleeding clutch slave cylinder is very tricky. It is a plastic nut and access is very limited. I would say it is a design flaw. You would actually need a half length No 10 spanner to access the bleed nut. Also it tends to leak after tightening. Tata should have kept the bleed nut below the slave cylinder rather than on top. One more way is to remove the slave cylinder and bleed by flushing the fluid.
ameaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 15:20   #5894
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Alignment discussion going on, let me write my experience, I have owned a 2004 Safari which never got perfect alignment in the course of 2.3L kms, a 3L 2006 with the same problem throughout 1.7L kms and now a 2003 Safari with the same misalignment problem. I fail to understand the reason.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th April 2015 at 08:01. Reason: Not OT here :)
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 20:49   #5895
BHPian

Hi fellow bhpians,

I have a Safari 2.2 VTT Lx(2008 Model) and have an issue with the horn. When the steering is in turned position horn doesn't produce the sound it is supposed to ( when the steering is straight and if the steering is turned 180 degrees, it works perfect). I am suspecting the contact on the under side of the steering as causing the trouble and wanted to have a look myself before taking it to TASS.

I did open the horn pad (by pulling off the corners) and saw the nut that is holding the steering wheel in place. Unbolted and removed the nut using a box spanner (21 mm) and tried to pull off the steering wheel. The steering wheel is not coming off from its place; moreover, it is stuck so tightly as if something (another nut/screw) is holding it tightly in its place.

Have anybody here tried/ seen removing the steering wheel of Safari? Is the only nut at the center to be unbolted for the steering wheel to be removed? Or something else is also to be removed/released? Not sure about the correct procedure to remove it; hence, thought of asking the experts. Could you please help?

Thanks,
Sunil.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-pic11.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-pic2.jpg  

Last edited by sunil_k_u : 18th April 2015 at 20:55.
sunil_k_u is offline   Reply With Quote