Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th May 2015, 12:05   #5926
BHPian

Default re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi fellow Safari owners, just an fyi. Our Safari returned a near-identical fuel consumption figure on a recent 2 way trip between Bangalore and Hubli, which is 23.54 litres onward, and 23.2 litres during return, for a distance of 412 kms, which translates to 17.6kmpl.

The engine speed was near 2000rpm in 5th gear (between 80-90 kmph) for most part of the trip, but AC was on all times.

Of course, not suggesting any of you to alter your driving modes, but only to point that the Safari is not a fuel guzzler!

PS: Ours is the May'08 2.2 vtt engine, and the current Varicor engines might better the above figures for the same driving mode. If any Varicor owner does give it a try, even in future, please do reply to this post, only for curiosity sake, on the Varicor's capabilities

Last edited by dkamath : 10th May 2015 at 12:06.
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 14:50   #5927
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Hi Tanveer, can you try the "OBD Doctor Pro" Android app? I found it to correctly convey the description for the 2 error codes on our eCS (no error codes on the Safari, yet, but assuming that the firmware might be identical).
Different cars have different meanings for error codes. For example, P1190 code is vacuum leak in some cars, while reference voltage not correct in others.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 11:48   #5928
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Check Engine Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Ok, so a P1190 is a Tata specific code, so you really need to look it up in a Tata specific OBD DTC table.

got the hint from Jeoren. I had to look at Tata Specific codes which may not be same.

The one I found on line says it is Rail Pressure sensor supply

Jeroen
Thanks for the hint
I downloaded the XLS file for tata codes
P1190 and P0642

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-1.jpg

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-2.jpg

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th May 2015 at 11:54.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 22:44   #5929
BHPian

I met my cousin after a looong time and turns out he got a used Safari 2.2 a while back. Given his naivety and nonchalant behavior when it comes to checking up on cars before a purchase, I was pretty confident that he'd have to face problems down the line. And he surely did. To aggravate it further, he had it 'fixed' at his FNG which as again expected, was to little avail. Finally, I decided to help him out; BHPian SDP was kind enough to lend me his OBD scanner (high time I bought one for myself now!). A quick hook up to the port and Torque and it put out the following codes:
  • P0201
  • P0500
  • P0245

According to the diagnostic manual (immensly helpful) that tsk1979 has put up:
  • P0201 - Cylinder no.1 Injector - open circuit
  • P0500 - Vehicle speed signal - Generic
  • P0245 - VGT drive short to Ground

With the CEL not showing, she runs like the engine is being restrained. She doesn't pick up pace even in the lower gears and anything over 100kmph is an overkill. The engine emits a very weird, distinct and loud clatter and she belches out a lot of black smoke than usual. When the CEL comes on, the clattering vanishes although she drives like she's not even a 1.4 and runs out of breath at 80kmph. Is she running on limp mode?

I'd also like to point out that upon opening the hood after a drive yesterday, the engine bay felt more heated up than usual although the engine temp reading was showing normal. I also noticed fuel spilled on the engine head and around the rails. We are scheduling an appt. with TASS but I'd like to have some underhand knowledge about the faults and areas of concern before we hand her over.
Turbo_Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 08:35   #5930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
  • P0201 - Cylinder no.1 Injector - open circuit
...she runs like the engine is being restrained...
My suspicion would be one out of four cylinders, may not be firing or erratically firing?

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 09:48   #5931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
My suspicion would be one out of four cylinders, may not be firing or erratically firing?

-BJ
You may be right there since the engine runs as if it is not balanced properly and shudders a lot. Which can be alluded to the fact that the injector is faulty/has a bad connection and is not supplying the right amount of fuel into the cylinder. What I'd like to know is if there's a way I can troubleshoot it? As mentioned in my earlier post, I found a lot of leaked fuel from the fuel rail spilled on the engine head.
Old 21st May 2015, 09:53   #5932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... As mentioned in my earlier post, I found a lot of leaked fuel from the fuel rail spilled on the engine head.
Clearly this is a case of the high pressure fuel line of one of the injectors leaking and starving that unit of fuel.
Please be very careful; this is a potentially explosive situation!
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 10:03   #5933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Clearly this is a case of the high pressure fuel line of one of the injectors leaking and starving that unit of fuel.
Please be very careful; this is a potentially explosive situation!
Thanks for the heads-up. I deduce that this might be the reason that the engine bay feels heated up.

I just want to know if its a fault with the rail or the injector itself. Or just a faulty connection.

Last edited by Turbo_Torq : 21st May 2015 at 10:13.
Old 21st May 2015, 14:32   #5934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Or just a faulty connection.
It's not as innocuous as a faulty connection. This 'connection' needs to be rectified urgently; AND the car ought not to be driven in this condition!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 19:03   #5935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up. I deduce that this might be the reason that the engine bay feels heated up.

I just want to know if its a fault with the rail or the injector itself. Or just a faulty connection.
One of the many reason could be that injector is blocked / dirty and back pressure created a leak. Usually A.S.S recommend injector replacement however injector cleaning / reconditioning can be done.
Check with CRDI_Sameer for more information he posted something around it on this thread long back.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 21:06   #5936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
One of the many reason could be that injector is blocked / dirty and back pressure created a leak. Usually A.S.S recommend injector replacement however injector cleaning / reconditioning can be done.
Check with CRDI_Sameer for more information he posted something around it on this thread long back.
Thanks mate. I'll check up with him indeed. As far as I'm told, the FNG's so-called fix included replacing the injectors. If that is the case, I can't affirm if teh ones put in were new
Old 21st May 2015, 21:59   #5937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate. I'll check up with him indeed. As far as I'm told, the FNG's so-called fix included replacing the injectors. If that is the case, I can't affirm if teh ones put in were new
Well after replacement of injectors they need to be calibrated and firing sequence needs to be tuned by connecting Laptop.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:45   #5938
BHPian

Hi All,

I seriousely need help on this PLEASE.
My friend is facing major issues with his VX 2.2 Dicor.
Failed turbo, MIL light going ON frequently. Followed by a long list. Takes his car to National Auto Wheels Pune for service regularly with no success on the issue.
Wants to escalate this to Tata's Higher authorities. Please, can anyone who has done such escalations earlier share the contact details of some responsible person from Tata.
Customer is behaving in typical manner, They are letting dealer close the complaint.. Without fruitfull solution.

I am just reposting my old thread. Please help.

Thanks,
Saurabh.
saurabh2711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:47   #5939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Hi All,

I seriousely need help on this PLEASE.
My friend is facing major issues with his VX 2.2 Dicor.
Failed turbo, MIL light going ON frequently. Followed by a long list
What are the DTC's that are appearing when the CEL is ON?

What all are the other problems getting faced by your friend?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:03   #5940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What are the DTC's that are appearing when the CEL is ON?

What all are the other problems getting faced by your friend?
Thanks a4anurag.

When i spoke to him, he shared a long list.

1: Failed turbo, replaced, still facing power lag & a few other under warranty replacement.

2: Frequent Malfunction lights. Pops up every 15-20 days. The showroom clears it everytime he reports it. Without even checking the cause & trying to rectify his issue. They excuse saying that some dust might have entered or some water particle etc. etc.. They have never shared the error codes with him.

3: when he calls the customer care & asks some tricky question they disconnect.

His main concern is with the service centre. They are showing some callous attitude, that needs to be escalated. Resulting in his frustation reaching a boiling point.

He will be bringing his car tomorrow to my place, will connect the scanner & check if I can see & share any codes here.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Saurabh.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 22nd May 2015 at 12:04.
saurabh2711 is offline   Reply With Quote