Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2015, 14:56   #6091
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 709 Times
Default Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Now I'm not sure if this the correct thread to post this query as it's regarding purchasing a 2nd Hand Safari.
Related thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...safari-25.html (Buying a Used Tata Safari?)

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 13:05   #6092
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,027
Thanked: 217 Times
Default Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It has nothing to do with retro -fitment as you change the timing belt and other things based on the number of km run or the number of years. I opted to change the timing belt at the 5th year though my odo was just 30000 km at that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Replacing timing belts after 5 years is a common practice followed for all cars irrespective of brands. All rubber parts has a shelf life and 5 years is max. Changing pulleys and water pump is also recommended during timing belt change because a worn out pulley or water pump can damage a new timing belt much faster. The effort required for replacing only timing belt and replacing all 3 together is almost the same. Hence this practice.
I agree. When I gave my Safari for its 6th year service earlier this week, I was strongly advised to get the timing belt kit replaced, given that the original kit had served me for 6 years. As per the service advisor, the fact that the car has done only ~50k kms did not matter as the parts age with time. I am aware of the dire consequences of timing belt failure and given that I use my Safari mostly for outstation drives with family, reliability is of utmost importance to me. I therefore gave the go-ahead for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Timing Belt:Rs1785.15
Idler Pulley Assembly:Rs.1563.32
Assy.Auto Tensioner:Rs.1961.57
Assy.Water Pump:Rs.1556.33
Assy.Touch Idler.Rs.475.11
Timing cover:Rs.194.76
Gasket Water Pump:Rs.32.31
sealant:Rs.829.69
Labor:Rs3200/-
Interesting. I was not given a break up like this. For me, it was just one item "KIT F FOR TIMING BELT DRIVE" costing Rs. 10,352!! On top of that I was charged for "ASSY. TOUCH IDLER" costing Rs. 498.13 and labor charges of Rs. 2,750. This definitely adds up to more than what you paid. I am surprised to see this discrepancy across 2 TASS'es.
cool_dube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 10:19   #6093
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 447
Thanked: 231 Times
Default Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Interesting. I was not given a break up like this. For me, it was just one item "KIT F FOR TIMING BELT DRIVE" costing Rs. 10,352!! On top of that I was charged for "ASSY. TOUCH IDLER" costing Rs. 498.13 and labor charges of Rs. 2,750. This definitely adds up to more than what you paid. I am surprised to see this discrepancy across 2 TASS'es.
Not really. At that time I coughed up close to 26k in all. I showed the relevant portion of the bill related to the timing belt. They even changed the outer cover for me.

Corcorde in my view, charges as much as the other TASS - if not more. If they can't open up some part, they will somehow manage to take it apart and replace that - charging you for the part. My steering wheel was changed at the cost of Rs.4500/- for no reason at all.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 23:58   #6094
VM1
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 39
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Query - my clutch pedal has developed a play of 1-1.5 inch. Is this a spring issue or sthg wrong with clutch? Its 33500 at odo.

Another query - I get a weird low toned noise (like a horse neighing, seriously!) when I rev up in 2nd gear between 1500-1800 rpm and it goes off above that. The sound appears to be from under the bonnet. Any clue? Checked all oil levels are fine.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th November 2015 at 07:04. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute time window to add contents.
VM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 22:11   #6095
BHPian
 
LionX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cochin / Bangalore
Posts: 379
Thanked: 361 Times
Exclamation

While starting the vehicle today, there is one warning light appeared in the instrument cluster and the RPM was shooting at close to 1500 for around 30 Sec and came back to normal, subsequently the light also went off. Does anyone know what is the warning highlighted below, i couldn't find it in the manual.
Name:  tatasafaristormetachometer062.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  71.5 KB

My bad, that was the Water in Sedimenter warning, couldn't make it out from the manual.

Last edited by ampere : 17th November 2015 at 23:06. Reason: Back to back posts merged
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 07:54   #6096
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1 View Post
Query - my clutch pedal has developed a play of 1-1.5 inch. Is this a spring issue or sthg wrong with clutch? Its 33500 at odo.

Another query - I get a weird low toned noise (like a horse neighing, seriously!) when I rev up in 2nd gear between 1500-1800 rpm and it goes off above that. The sound appears to be from under the bonnet. Any clue? Checked all oil levels are fine.
The clutch develops play over a course of time, The noise from under bonnet might be of some loose belt.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 23:29   #6097
VM1
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 39
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

After pressing and releasing the clutch, it is mostly coming back to position but is sometimes getting stuck at that point where the play ends. Gets better after running for a few km.

Safari has a hydraulic clutch pedal system and not a simple spring system.

TASS says clutch pedal master cylinder needs to be changed (cost ~ Rs. 4500) but as clutch is good it can wait till next service due after 7 month.
VM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 20:51   #6098
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi All,

I have had a uneventful ownership of 2008 Model Safari 2.2 Lx VTT and has clocked close to 100k KM's so far. I have taken this vehicle on long drives, fully loaded with luggage and people, and am pretty impressed by the capability of its body-on-ladder build. I intend to keep the vehicle for some more time for the same reason.

The vehicle is in perfect condition after last service; however, service cost is climbing up (obviously) as the vehicle gets aged. Both the front and rear brakes, suspension components (ball joint upper/lower, tie rod left/right, various bushes, etc) were replaced during last service and the bill summed up to Rs. 30k. It is generally said that maintaining Safari outside TASS is one way to reduce the up-keeping cost (so far I have been visiting TASS only)

Just wondering are there good garages in and around Bangalore that has good equipment/ mechanics who can handle Safari? Any good experiences by the owners here? Any pointers would be helpful

Thanks in advance for the help.
sunil_k_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 13:21   #6099
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: Once
Default Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Hi All,

I have had a uneventful ownership of 2008 Model Safari 2.2 Lx VTT and has clocked close to 100k KM's so far. I have taken this vehicle on long drives, fully loaded with luggage and people, and am pretty impressed by the capability of its body-on-ladder build. I intend to keep the vehicle for some more time for the same reason.

The vehicle is in perfect condition after last service; however, service cost is climbing up (obviously) as the vehicle gets aged. Both the front and rear brakes, suspension components (ball joint upper/lower, tie rod left/right, various bushes, etc) were replaced during last service and the bill summed up to Rs. 30k. It is generally said that maintaining Safari outside TASS is one way to reduce the up-keeping cost (so far I have been visiting TASS only)

Just wondering are there good garages in and around Bangalore that has good equipment/ mechanics who can handle Safari? Any good experiences by the owners here? Any pointers would be helpful

Thanks in advance for the help.
Even I would like to know of some good TASS/Non-TASS service center in Bangalore for my Safari Dicor EX. Mine is 4.5 years old and have been going to KHT for service. I feel their quality has progressively gone down with each trip. My last service, done in May has been the most problematic resulting in multiple trips back to them with no respite. In the current state of the car -
  • There is a lot of vibration
  • The engine feels underpowered, does not accelerate quickly enough
  • The wheel alignment and brake alignment is off (Gave my right shoulder a proper workout during a recent roadtrip)
  • Hard clutch and brake (knee-hurting type)
  • Niggles with my power window switch, speakers etc.
  • Oil leakage from the overhead A/C vent!
  • Wipers replaced during the service already gone bad

I would really like some knowledgeable and trustworthy expert take a look at it. Lost all my faith in the capability of KHT folks. Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
soulforged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 13:44   #6100
BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 959
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulforged View Post
Even I would like to know of some good TASS/Non-TASS service center in Bangalore for my Safari Dicor EX. Mine is 4.5 years old and have been going to KHT for service. I feel their quality has progressively gone down with each trip. My last service, done in May has been the most problematic resulting in multiple trips back to them with no respite. In the current state of the car -
  • There is a lot of vibration
  • The engine feels underpowered, does not accelerate quickly enough
  • The wheel alignment and brake alignment is off (Gave my right shoulder a proper workout during a recent roadtrip)
  • Hard clutch and brake (knee-hurting type)
  • Niggles with my power window switch, speakers etc.
  • Oil leakage from the overhead A/C vent!
  • Wipers replaced during the service already gone bad

I would really like some knowledgeable and trustworthy expert take a look at it. Lost all my faith in the capability of KHT folks. Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Which area of Bangalore are you based out of ? You may want to try Concorde Motors in Kudlu gate. Service advisor ASAF.
smsrini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 14:24   #6101
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: Once
Default Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Which area of Bangalore are you based out of ? You may want to try Concorde Motors in Kudlu gate. Service advisor ASAF.
Thanks, I stay near Whitefield. Kudlu gate would probably be far for me but will try it if there's no other go. Got a reference for 'Fast Cars' at Bannerghatta Road. Any experience with them?
soulforged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 22:05   #6102
BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 959
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Kudlu gate will be.closer than bannergatha Road if you go via various sarjapur, actively junction, unless you work there..
smsrini is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2015, 21:45   #6103
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: India
Posts: 587
Thanked: 647 Times
Default Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi Experts,

Please advise if I need to flush the engine of my 3 years old Safari (30,000 kms).

Actually, the vehicle met with an accident and the air filter chamber was totally damaged. It has been driven around 15 kms in such condition as the accident happen in the highest unsecured area (Chambal, Gwalior bye pass) after sunset and there was no other option.

The vehicle is ready after repairs and the workshop guys have not suggested the engine flush yet.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 6th December 2015 at 21:46.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 18:45   #6104
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Hi All,

I have had a uneventful ownership of 2008 Model Safari 2.2 Lx VTT and has clocked close to 100k KM's so far....
.... It is generally said that maintaining Safari outside TASS is one way to reduce the up-keeping cost (so far I have been visiting TASS only)

Just wondering are there good garages in and around Bangalore that has good equipment/ mechanics who can handle Safari? Any good experiences by the owners here? Any pointers would be helpful

Thanks in advance for the help.
Any pointers gentlemen? I am sure many owners switch to friendly-neighborhood-garages after the warranty/extended warranty period.

Of course, the time spent to locate a good garage and build confidence with one such garage is on the higher side. It is a trade-off between time and $$ that one has to take I guess. Never traveled this route hence checking on others experience here?

Is there another thread on this topic that I can refer?. My humble search did not find any - hence asking.

Thanks,
Sunil.
sunil_k_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 19:04   #6105
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 163
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Any pointers gentlemen? I am sure many owners switch to friendly-neighborhood-garages after the warranty/extended
Thanks,
Sunil.
Sunil, not sure which part of bangalore you stay, but I get mine serviced in kammanahalli. I have a mechanic and his name is arun. He is very knowledgeable on safari. I can give his details and you can check yourself. I switched over from Concorde mainly due to poor workmanship and I used to get the car very soiled with dirt after every service. I have done some major works with him and over all it is satisfactory. Only issue is since we rely on one person we can get stuck too mainly when they fall sick or so... Sourcing original tata spares is also a pain since many don't stock. I usually take items from Concorde kudlu gate. None of other dealers really have a good stock of safari parts.
Thx
Ajith
ameaa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread anandbhat Technical Stuff 1010 24th November 2016 13:48
Tata Safari - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 11 24th June 2011 20:48
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks