Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th August 2009, 08:24   #1081
BHPian

Found this article quite informative about E.G.R.Thought i will add it to the thread to increase the knowledge bank.This article relates the check engine light to E.G.R malfunction.
The Lowdown on Code 32 (EGR) - ThirdGen.org

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 24th August 2009 at 08:25.
freewheelburnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 08:40   #1082
BHPian

LionX,drive for atleast a hundred kilometres after the E.C.U reset(E.C.U takes time to learn your driving pattern).First day right after the upgrade i could see some vibrations(especially during idling) but after coming home or on the next day there were no vibrations seen and now engine feels smoother.The turbo kick has reduced and is more spread out.Though it will take away the kick in your back feel a bit,overall drivability has only improved.Guys please comment on this..............
For example I use a regular drill while coming to a stop near my house.I brake, go down the gears a step and again brake.But after the upgrade i notice that even at the lower rpms i have to apply more braking force to stop the car.This could be attributed to the better torque...

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 24th August 2009 at 08:42.
Old 24th August 2009, 09:56   #1083
Distinguished - BHPian

@freewheelburning: ECU doesn't learn one's driving pattern. For that matter, an ECU doesn't 'learn' anything when installed in a car. All it's learnings are done offline when loaded with a driveability map. All ECUs are straightforward controllers which take instantaneous decisions based on immediate conditions (current RPM, oxygen level, driver demand, rail pressure, etc. etc.). The only things that ECU retains long-term memory of is errors encountered while working.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 10:33   #1084
BHPian

I have already completed around 150KMs after the upgrade. I am not worried about the vibrations, its the power loss alerting me. For example I used to drive in 3rd or 4th gear without giving any accelaration and the car used to maintain its speed around 40-50km/hr. But I tried the same last night and the speed was coming down till 20. I also doubt the rear breaks for the same.

Another issue I noticed is the missing in 3rd gear, and it was there before the upgrade as well. The service advisor has checked the error codes, but could not find anything wrong.
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 14:29   #1085
BHPian

I have to disagree with you DerAlte.ECU does learn about your driving style and adapts.I have seen this practically on my brother's palio when we did an E.C.U reset and then floored the car for a while.It's performance drastically improved!!Atleast ignition timing and idle parameters will change.About other parameters that will change i dont have much info...
After ECU reset and some good flooring of the accelerator,the car performance drastically improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@freewheelburning: ECU doesn't learn one's driving pattern. For that matter, an ECU doesn't 'learn' anything when installed in a car. All it's learnings are done offline when loaded with a driveability map. All ECUs are straightforward controllers which take instantaneous decisions based on immediate conditions (current RPM, oxygen level, driver demand, rail pressure, etc. etc.). The only things that ECU retains long-term memory of is errors encountered while working.

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 24th August 2009 at 14:34.
Old 24th August 2009, 17:16   #1086
BHPian

Default Faulty Sppedo?

I had this at the back of my head for quite sometime. Now things have got confirmed. While we were driving to Chandigarh last weekend I was pelting in my Safari. I gave the beast to my nephew as he was dying to drive it. He is a good driver. While I sat in the front passanger seat to enjoy the drive. After a point when he was going fast I happen to look at the speedo. It was between 170-175 kmph. I immediately told him to slow down. I have done 160 before. My nephew tells me he felt the beast was asking for more. If I had not told him he would have touched 180. The max spped is 200.

So here is the question. How fast has one gone on a straight road in the new beast? Is this possible or is my speedo faulty? Many a time I felt it was faulty before. Specially seeing a M800 driving along side at 110/120 kmph.

Have asked the Dhingra and ABS guys the question in the past. They tell me that due to its weight and effortless power it seems that one is driving not at such a high speed.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 17:21   #1087
BHPian

Looks like a Speedo Error to me.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
I had this at the back of my head for quite sometime. Now things have got confirmed. While we were driving to Chandigarh last weekend I was pelting in my Safari. I gave the beast to my nephew as he was dying to drive it. He is a good driver. While I sat in the front passanger seat to enjoy the drive. After a point when he was going fast I happen to look at the speedo. It was between 170-175 kmph. I immediately told him to slow down. I have done 160 before. My nephew tells me he felt the beast was asking for more. If I had not told him he would have touched 180. The max spped is 200.

So here is the question. How fast has one gone on a straight road in the new beast? Is this possible or is my speedo faulty? Many a time I felt it was faulty before. Specially seeing a M800 driving along side at 110/120 kmph.

Have asked the Dhingra and ABS guys the question in the past. They tell me that due to its weight and effortless power it seems that one is driving not at such a high speed.
Old 24th August 2009, 18:43   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post

I guess a good way to check is by using these GPS navigation systems. I think they are quite accurate. Others pls shed some light.
sidcruise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 11:35   #1089
Senior - BHPian

My Safari definitely has some speedo error and I have checked it with the GPS debvice on my Nokia E90!!!

Give or take a few percentage% ill say that the error is about 10%!!!
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 11:48   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Default Camber value for Safari 2.2 VTT

Ok so here is the story I got the Tyre rotation , balancing and alignment done last week,
The Camber value if 1' 12'' which is out side the range -30'' to + 30'' I asked the alignment guy and he told that Safari Camber is fixed and only toe can be adjusted and showed me camber nut in front which is indeed welded.

So the question is is the camber value normal or a defect what is normal range of camber for Safari ?

Can some one post the camber value of their Safari and please also tell if the Camber value 42'' off the given range a big problem ?

I could have posted this in Tyre and wheels thread but the question is specific to new Safari.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 11:49   #1091
Distinguished - BHPian

@harjeev, all cars have that error, not just Safari. The error is usually 4Kmph (higher on speedo) throughout the range. That's a deliberate calibration to account for tyre wear, I think. Never could figure out if the figure with tread completely worn out is the correct one, since one never waits for tyres to go bald.

Last edited by DerAlte : 25th August 2009 at 11:50.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 16:14   #1092
BHPian

Default AC cut off

While driving uphill, the AC cuts off. This despite the temperature gauge needle is at the half mark. The issue with this is, all glass areas begin to 'frost', leaving the windshield hazy for a long time. It's a concern when it's raining, and you cannot open the window pane.

What is it that cuts off the AC, the thermostat, or the ECU?

I'm almost certain that the AC doesn't cut off in the Indica (early BS-2 model). Felt that it would have been good if the AC was a bit more tolerant to the engine temperature ie., cut off only if the needle is way beyond the middle mark.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 18:04   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
While driving uphill, the AC cuts off. This despite the temperature gauge needle is at the half mark. The issue with this is, all glass areas begin to 'frost', leaving the windshield hazy for a long time. It's a concern when it's raining, and you cannot open the window pane.

What is it that cuts off the AC, the thermostat, or the ECU?
AFIK that is a functionality provided by TATA in safari. The AC will be cut off at higher RPM when the car needs more power. I think ECU has been programmed like that. I usually feel it while taking off from signals in 2nd gear and RPM above 3000.
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 19:28   #1094
BHPian

Ok one silly question... I have been at loss of instincts as to when I should refill the air in my tubeless tyres.
I drive my safari 3.0 everyday for about 30Kms.All city driving.
So what should be the time interval within which I should re-air the tyres??

As its been more than a month and I dont feel there has been any loss of pressure in the tyres..both lookwise and feelwise while driving??

Any pin pointers to pop this stupid bubble?
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 20:48   #1095
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Ok one silly question... I have been at loss of instincts as to when I should refill the air in my tubeless tyres.
I drive my safari 3.0 everyday for about 30Kms.All city driving.
So what should be the time interval within which I should re-air the tyres??

As its been more than a month and I dont feel there has been any loss of pressure in the tyres..both lookwise and feelwise while driving??

Any pin pointers to pop this stupid bubble?
Hi think once in 10 days. As the payload is on higher side, it may effect the average. I have checked in my case there is around 1- 2 psi difference in my safari.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote