Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th October 2009, 06:52   #1291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE Godfather View Post
One mmore thing, in Central locking manual of the Safari, it says that alarmed will be triggered if any of the door is open while you press the lock push button on remot ekey. But it does not happen on my car. The door lock-knob gets locked but there is no horn honking or triggered alarm, m I missing anything?
OE alarm right? Alarm should go bonkers when you try to lock the car with a door ajar/not closed fully.

And about the sound; you hear it everytime or only after taking it after leaving it parked for long hours?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 08:51   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
It was the wheel bearing that was thinking of going kaput. changed under ext warranty.
The "Hmmmmm....." sound is very disctinct and usually denotes failure of wheel (front) bearing. After 50K Kms, it is usually considered prudent to change the front hub bearings and grease the hub.

The rear axle has sealed bearings and failures are usually after 100K KMs.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 09:17   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys
The 2 year warranty of my vehicle is about to expire on 31st October 2009.
Though I have taken the extended warranty but the issues pricking my mind are
  • I have not as yet been called up for the retro fitment! Will this be an issue after the basic warranty is over???
  • The service light issue has not been resolved as yet inspite of repeated sending the vehicle to the workshop. Additionally this does not trouble me that and as all know comes only when letting the vehicle slowdown on its own momentum from speeds of 80ish! So I wanna know from the Safari experts, how big of an issue can this develop later on?
  • Apart from this I do not have any major complaint or I should say mechanical complaint with the BEAR!!! As far as the small small niggles, sounds etc I have made a a compromise that these are traditional TATA's signature issues and what come may will never go away!!! So since I've been ok with them I am much happier
Awaiting your guidance!!!
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 09:21   #1294
Team-BHP Support

When the clutch of my safari is heated(eg multiple very steep hairpin bends, and stopping on narrow uphill stretches etc.,) the clutch return gets sluggish.
User manual says air in system, or dirt etc., But sterling guys could not find anything. This thing started immediately after clutch pedal was changed, and initially when clutch was very soft it was more frequent, now its less.
I have also observed this while crawling in bumper to bumper traffic.
Any idea? Or is it that the sterling guys cannot even diagnose air in system?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 09:56   #1295
BHPian

Recently, when I cold started the safari, the engine started and settled at a rev higher than the idle rev (without the accelerator pedal being pressed) and simultaneously the sedimenter light started glowing.
One press of the accelerator and the engine returned to idle and the light also stopped glowing.
Later, I drained the water from the sedimenter and now everything is back to normal.

My question is : if there is water in the sedimenter shouldn't the engine go to limp mode, instead of doing high idle revvs - and that too only in case of a cold start?

Last edited by rrsteer : 12th October 2009 at 09:57.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 13:59   #1296
Distinguished - BHPian

No, it won't go to Limp-home mode - which normally happens only due to critical sensor failure. Water in the sedimenter (in your case it would have been borderline case, as it went away on gunning the engine) is only indicative of water in fuel, and that would at most cause missing. To prevent idle failure, ECU would have kept the idle RPM high to compensate for that.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 14:15   #1297
BHPian

harjeev - it is better to call up the service guys and ask for retro fitment before the warranty expires. The Pune guy told me the cost of retro fitment done to my car will come to 20 k Plus. For this car, it would be prudent to go for extended warranty. At the time of purchase, you pay around 6k for this additional warranty of 2 years or another 100,000 km whichever comes earlier.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 15:21   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, it won't go to Limp-home mode - which normally happens only due to critical sensor failure. Water in the sedimenter (in your case it would have been borderline case, as it went away on gunning the engine) is only indicative of water in fuel, and that would at most cause missing. To prevent idle failure, ECU would have kept the idle RPM high to compensate for that.
Thank you! Seems perfectly logical now
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 17:20   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
The service light issue has not been resolved as yet inspite of repeated sending the vehicle to the workshop. Additionally this does not trouble me that and as all know comes only when letting the vehicle slowdown on its own momentum from speeds of 80ish! So I wanna know from the Safari experts, how big of an issue can this develop later on?
Hi Harjeev.
Your service light issue is EXACTLY what I had experienced & the entire fuel delivery system including injectors had to be changed. Do pursue it to the highest possible level coz it costs approx 70k if you have to pay for it later.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 17:32   #1300
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to the club harjeev. TML struggled for 3 months with my car. finally after injector and high pressure fuel return line change the problem went away.
However, the engineer told me that new ECU software fixes this problem, as its not really a problem, but less tolerances in the old software
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 18:57   #1301
Senior - BHPian

I have now same issue which TSK1979 reported. RPM needle fluctuates a little on cold start and after 10 - 15 seconds it settles down. If the vehicle is parked in sun then no fluctuations so it is clearly a temperature related issue.

The problem started few weeks back after I tried Shell Diesel and then filled reliance switching from regular HPCL ( may not be related to fuel but I suspect). Everything was fine till 1200 Km run to Sri-Shailam and then next morning the fluctuations were observed. There is no difference in performance I was able to drive at 140+ speed on highway for prolonged period no strange sound or any other issue.

Actually this idle RPM fluctuation does not seem to be serious Issue ( Tanveer did 5000 KM in Ladakh) I was trying to avoid visiting T.A.S.S till next service / any major issue.

but I had to go to T.A.S.S for another reason ( described below) and asked them to see this idle RPM fluctuation.

T.A.S.S cleaned High pressure fuel lines and injectors and replaced injector washer suspecting some minor leakage , checked alternator and Cleaned Vehicle speed sensor contacts ( as per Rahulk76's advice) , Air filter etc.

Engine is smooth after this mini service but needle still fluctuates for first time in morning for 5 -10 seconds. Will be away for 1 month from the Safari so do not plan to take it again to T.A.S.S any time soon.

Service adviser from Concord Hosur road called me up and urged not to escalate while feedback and said he will solve it in next visit ( Only if I can convince him that T.A.S.S in NCR have tried their level best and it is in his interest to handover to TML instead of inviting unnecessary pain for himself )

Actually I had to visit T.A.S.S as I banged my rear bumper in to a low road embankment at Talcaud last weekend. The road was empty and in my foolishness I pressed the pedal while reversing the wall was really low and my reverse sensor missed or I was too fast ( overdependent on this gizmo) and bumper absorbed the impact. Bumper 4250/- , Reflector = 400/- bumper painting + labor =3000Rs.

4500 paid by insurance and 4100 paid by pocket ( No-claims bonus was about 3K so still OK) bad thing 1K is detected as policy activation charge else would have got 5500/-.

It was quite upsetting and stupid on my part to bang it on empty road despite Camera and reverse sensors.

Last edited by amitk26 : 12th October 2009 at 19:07.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 19:15   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
OE alarm right? Alarm should go bonkers when you try to lock the car with a door ajar/not closed fully.

And about the sound; you hear it everytime or only after taking it after leaving it parked for long hours?
The clutch make noise its like after driving it for sometime, may be 15 to 20 km in city.Then when I release or press the clutch, a "tak" sound comes. Looks like it start hitting something. I asked the mechanic at TATA he said its because the car have lon clutch assembly so its normal. But its very much noticiable that people around me start looking at the car when it makes that sound.
ThE Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 19:21   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE Godfather View Post
The clutch make noise its like after driving it for sometime, may be 15 to 20 km in city.Then when I release or press the clutch, a "tak" sound comes. Looks like it start hitting something. I asked the mechanic at TATA he said its because the car have lon clutch assembly so its normal. But its very much noticiable that people around me start looking at the car when it makes that sound.
Does this sound come when steering is straight or only while you turn ? Does it come on plane surface or while you are going up /down.

If it is while turning and going up /down humps it is due to idler arm and not clutch ( they need to adjust idler nuts ). If the sound is on humps going straight and seems to be coming from the area below seats it is lower arm , Again they need to grease and adjust the play.

Any sound from clutch is not normal.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 19:30   #1304
BHPian

No its not exactly while going up down or something. But it just get start coming after diriving for a while. One thing to note is its only when car is moving and not stationary.

Means if I have a pressed the clutch and need to drive it comes then .only. Not while car is in neutral or I am pressing-releasing the clutch.

Its not under the seats, its more under the hood, below the engine.
ThE Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 13:23   #1305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Something is stuck!
In short, the compressor seems to be energized!

You are right , something is stuck. The electro-magnetic clutch on the compressor is stuck in engaged position.

My suggestion for all those who have fogging (early morning)- I recollect a post some-where, AC cooling without switching on, screeching sound like belt noise when engine is cold is to make beeline for TASS. TASS cannot change, even if under warranty, without a joint report with Subros person. So be ready for some delays.

The 1st lot of Safaris would be completing their 2 Year Warranty period and the compressor is a very expensive part.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote