Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th November 2009, 17:16   #1456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItMyLife View Post
@Shubhendra

Not sure about the growl, but the hissing sound is there is most of the new cars that I test drove. The one I bought 16 days ago also has the sound, but a little less louder than the others. Nevertheless the hiss is there.

Refer to this question that was answered earlier by Rajeev in another post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...es-home-4.html
Thanks ItmyLife, Can anyone suggest about growling sound from Turbo.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 17:52   #1457
BHPian

My experience @ Autolinks Gurgaon.

Sequence of events.

-Called and booked my 1st service on Friday.
-Saturday morning sharp 9 am I reach Autolinks ggn.
-I'm greeted by the guard and asked to wait.
-Mr. Other SA (JP) comes with a Job Sheet in 5 mts.
-I tell him that I'm waiting for Guru. He nods and walks away.
-I enquire from the guard when Guru is expected to come.
-Guard picks up his cellphone and calls Guru.
-Guru arrives at 9:20 and I give him the list of things that need to be checked.
-Guard comes over, ensures that no personal belonging is left in the car. Gets me a plastic bag to keep my stuff, and also offers to keep it in the guard room safely. I give him the stuff.
-Work begins
-William and Prashant (from the workshop, I guess bot SA) ask me to hop into the rear seat and take the hulk for a spin.
-William speeds and breaks hard to check the left pull that I complained about. Asks Prashant to make note of things to be checked i.e Brake pads, brake caliper pin and some other stuff that I could not gather.
-Unwinds the window to check the sluggishness when closing the window (F/RH and R/LH). Asks prashant to get the window beading lubricated.
-We return to the SS.
-Mr. Vashist is introduced to me. He calls Prashant and asks when the car will be ready. Also tells him, it should not get late even by a min.
-Actual work begins now.
-The car is raised up and engine oil drained.
-Oil filter is replaced.
-The only oil available is Mobil 1, so I gave a go ahead.
-Coolant topped (Actually little water added)
-Technician was checking the lights and realized that the rear number plate light was never connected since it came from the factory. He fits it, all is ok now.
-Brake pads removed from front and interchanged. Caliper pin checked. Technician takes it for a spin with me and Prashant. I still feel the pull to the left, however Mr. Vashist tries to convince me that a slight pull is ok, since the banking on the roads may make it appear as if the car is pulling in one direction. . I smile and say nothing.
-Battery water checked
-Other oil and fluids checked.
-Window beading is lubricated. I still feel it is slow, but could not be sure since I found the other parked Safaris even slower
-Finally Guru tells me that the window is fine and if there is any problem, he will have the car picked from my office (also in ggn).
-I pay for the consumables, collect my stuff from the guard and leave.
-I hear a very prominent rattle in the driver door and take the car back.
-I complain to Prashant and he immediately assigns a technician who comes, opens the door, identifies that a rod inside was obstructing the motion of the window. Fits it properly and guess what- Window issue resolved. It is much smoother now.
-I thank everyone and leave.

Feedback-
Stand on their heads to get things done. If you don't, they will still do it, but it will be shoddy.
Cleaning was poor. Lots of grease marks were found inside. Informed SA and it was immediately taken care off.
Also Guru was very nice and suggested that I can get things done from Vasant Kunj itself (SS very very close to my house) and that he will let me know whom to contact there.

That's all folks

Last edited by Eddy : 15th November 2009 at 01:19. Reason: Not more than 2 smilies allowed.
ItMyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 19:34   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
-The car is raised up and engine oil drained.
-Oil filter is replaced.
-The only oil available is Mobil 1, so I gave a go ahead.
How much did the oil change cost you???
maheshmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 01:11   #1459
BHPian

I am going for my safari 2.2 service next week. I need advice on which engine oil i shoulld go for delo 400 or delvac mx?
abbey4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 08:54   #1460
BHPian

Question ABS query

Does ABS work only when brakes applied or they work even on normal running wheels too? Other day when "Fayhan" had left behind many puddles and broken trees in the city, I experienced this "new" thing.

To enter my office gate we have to take a sharp 90-degree right turn from a narrow lane. The office premises is about 12" above the road- hence there is a little incline that you hop over to enter inside the gate. I was in first gear, about 15kmph took full right turn from the lane and my right wheel hit the incline little before left wheel got there. At that moment, I heard a screeching sound and felt that rt wheel skid onto the incline (slippery cement surface) due to the the slush while left still on the tarmac has traction. The sequence was probably rt wheel on the incline-rt suspension compressed-2.5 ton momentum pushed the rt wheel to skid- left wheel rolling etc. I might have kept my right foot on the pedal... though do not recollect- it would be involuntary, everything happened so quick.

Questions:
1. Would ABS detect this situation and do something which caused the noise?
2. Was the screeching sound and fuzzy steering (momentarily) really due to the skid or could it be suspension/steering issue.

I haven't noticed this on normal turns right or left.

sorry for a long post.

tia,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 15th November 2009 at 08:58. Reason: clarify question
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 09:13   #1461
Senior - BHPian

BJ96,

As per my understanding, ABS will work only when the brakes are applied and the wheels lock up.

If the same effect (of pulsing the brakes) has to happen during driving (without braking) then the vehicle should be having traction control.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 11:46   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
-Brake pads removed from front and interchanged. Caliper pin checked. Technician takes it for a spin with me and Prashant. I still feel the pull to the left, however Mr. Vashist tries to convince me that a slight pull is ok, since the banking on the roads may make it appear as if the car is pulling in one direction. . I smile and say nothing.
As I commented earlier the left pull is not due to brake caliper, It is an alignment issue you need shim adjustment. On long drive if you feel that you need to constantly apply steering corrections always in one direction that is a sure shot sign.ask them to check the alignment in your next visit.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 11:46   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
BJ96,

As per my understanding, ABS will work only when the brakes are applied and the wheels lock up.

If the same effect (of pulsing the brakes) has to happen during driving (without braking) then the vehicle should be having traction control.
Right, ABS prevents the wheels to lock up/ skid, thats it, no matter what the conditions are.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 18:49   #1464
BHPian

Thumbs down Battery charging problem

The ghost of the past has come to haunt me again.
A couple of months before I was facing this issue of my Safari's battery going kaput if I kept the safari idle at home for a even a single day.
So this problem came on all mondays as the beast was parked on weekends at home.
I tried getting rid of this issue by getting my battery charged for a full day and the problem like went away for a while.
It again later popped up when I had gone to visit my hometown.Same issue.The LED's on the dash would not light up and the engine won't crank.

Finally frustrated I replaced my old Standard furukawa battery with a new Amaron one a couple of weeks ago.

Now today being a sunday evening I decided to take the beast out for grocery shopping and tahda!!! same problem
Now I am stuck at home with a 2 tonne truck.

Now i don't suspect an alternator issue as the battery gets indeed charged during the weekdays.Its only during the extended idle periods of weekends that the battery is gone.So my major suspect is some leakage happening somewhere.

Now I have been left with no choice but to call up concorde tomorrow early morning and get their engineers down to my house.

T-bhpians ..any suggestions as to how should I tackle this problem
Should i call up concorde or get a local mechanic who deals with the electrical of the cars to have a look as to where exactly is the problem.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 19:24   #1465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
T-bhpians ..any suggestions as to how should I tackle this problem
Should i call up concorde or get a local mechanic who deals with the electrical of the cars to have a look as to where exactly is the problem.
I would recommend concord but if you want initially you can get the battery charged and try disconnecting ICE and any aftermarket security system you have to rule out the leakage from non Tata Parts.
Old 15th November 2009, 19:39   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I would recommend concord but if you want initially you can get the battery charged and try disconnecting ICE and any aftermarket security system you have to rule out the leakage from non Tata Parts.
Thanks Amit.Yes that makes sense.
But the thing is I have no idea how to disconnect the ICE and teh security system.My safari has Pioneer face plate,Sony AMP and sony explode Speakers.The security system is Autocop.
Any idea how to disconnect these from the battery?
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 20:23   #1467
BHPian

Default Safari 2.2 electrical system goes dead

i have a safari 2.2, 18 months old. The car has run like a dream all these months. Few days back had a strange experience, had stopped at a shop to buy supplies. When i tried to start the car the electrical system went dead- no starter, nothing. I then opened the door and banged it shut hard in frustration, suddenly the hazard light indicators blinked and the electrical system was restored. took the car to Prerna motors, the engineer checked the ecu thru a laptop but found no issues. he also checked for loose connections etc but could not find any fault. The car ran well again for a week until today when the same problem has occured. The car started after banging the door shut.
Has anyone faced a similliar problem? what could be a solution for this?
Dieselone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 21:09   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselone View Post
i have a safari 2.2, 18 months old. The car has run like a dream all these months. Few days back had a strange experience, had stopped at a shop to buy supplies. When i tried to start the car the electrical system went dead- no starter, nothing. I then opened the door and banged it shut hard in frustration, suddenly the hazard light indicators blinked and the electrical system was restored. took the car to Prerna motors, the engineer checked the ecu thru a laptop but found no issues. he also checked for loose connections etc but could not find any fault. The car ran well again for a week until today when the same problem has occured. The car started after banging the door shut.
Since the whole system is shutting down and coming back after a bang, loose battery cable is one suspect, also it wont harm to check all the main connectors in the wiring.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 00:10   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Thanks Amit.Yes that makes sense.
But the thing is I have no idea how to disconnect the ICE and teh security system.My safari has Pioneer face plate,Sony AMP and sony explode Speakers.The security system is Autocop.
Any idea how to disconnect these from the battery?
Usually your installer must have connected wiring from battery terminal for Amp and for Player it should be connected to wiring harness provided in the cabin , not sure about Autocop. Probably you need to ask the guy who installed to disconnect everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselone View Post
Yes quote a few people including yours truly it is due to loose / dirty connection.
Clean the battery terminals and contact point with emery paper and tighten them with 12 no spanner. Apply some white petroleum jelly after this and your problem will be solved forever.
Old 17th November 2009, 07:26   #1470
Distinguished - BHPian

@alter_ego: Next time this happens, please check that the battery is dead and it is not a loose contact issue. You can use a tester or the old school way by shorting it mildly with a wire. I am saying this cause the batter may not be dead it could be an issue with the contact from the battery to the main terminal. You should also use sandpaper and clean out the inside of the battery contact terminals and the contact points on the battery.

@DieselOne: I had a similar problem as you. My whole electrical system went dead one day as I was parked in front of a super market. Came back and none of the console lights would go on. So I knocked the battery terminal a few times and it came back, similar to your shutting the bonnet/door hard thing. I suspect there is a loose contact in your battery terminal or the main switch. Clean out the battery terminal and connector with sandpaper and reattach. If that doesn't check for any loose contacts issues with your main switch.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote