Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st August 2016, 10:14   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Good A/C Service mechanic in Chennai

Took my Amaze to Suresh 2 years old and hardly 16k but cooling had dropped to near zero, as the cooling coil was choked with dirt. Didn't look like it would clean out too well so I got it replaced, That + gas refilling seems to have worked as the car's AC is again nice and cold.

Also had him install a rather cheap looking cabin air filter (Rs.400) - couldn't get a Bosch version for sale as per the thread at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...e-mobilio.html (DIY: Adding a Cabin Air Filter to the Honda Brio / Amaze / Mobilio) - that should be good for a few months anyway.

Unfortunately both the nearby shops (opposite to each other at the corner of north usman road - one at the left turn to the Kodambakkam Bridge, and another larger shop Ramdev Car AC opposite it) only had an aftermarket version made in Thailand (in a plain box marked Boon Engineering Parts).

Looks like that company is at http://www.booneng.com/ and has ISO TS 16949:2009, IATF certifications. The cooling coil cost me Rs.3500 instead of the ~ 9k a new cooling coil would have cost, fingers crossed. Looks rather plain, without the foam rubber cladding on the side that the OEM Amaze coil had - but otherwise looks reasonable.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2016, 15:25   #77
Senior - BHPian

don't run the car on fresh air mode. Helps to keep your ac clean !
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2016, 17:25   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
don't run the car on fresh air mode. Helps to keep your ac clean !
I normally don't do that except on highway drives when leaving your window open for a while, or driving in fresh air mode becomes essential at periodic intervals.

Even without that, an aircon cooling coil will pick up a lot of filth in two and a half years, without a cabin air filter installed. Which makes me wonder why Honda wants to install it in the City and Jazz but not the Amaze / Mobilio etc.

It isn't a particularly expensive accessory, and it is a regularly replaceable consumable so a money spinner. Especially as the enclosure to place an air filter exists but is dummied with a thin plastic strip.

Unless, of course, the cost of replacing an AC cooling coil, filling gas, etc etc two or three years down the line is such an expensive job that it outweighs the slow and steady regular profits from regular replacement of the cabin air filter. I haven't done the economics
Old 28th August 2016, 07:05   #79

Most of us (including me) have visited Suresh. And in my experience, I feel that he suggests cooling coil replacement to almost everyone who visits his shop. I had the same suggested but I asked for cleaning only. My Hyundai Santro is 13 years old, has run 1 lakh km and is currently on its 3rd owner and had the original factory fitted cooling coil... And cleaning was sufficient!

Why did I refuse the replacement? As a thermal engineer, I deal with heat exchangers on a fairly regular basis. The cooling coil, condenser (both AC components) and radiator are heat exchangers. Heat exchangers help to exchange heat energy between two fluids that dont physically mix. Heat exchangers increase heat transfer by increasing surface area of contact between the two fluids. (everyone has that uncle who pours tea from the cup into the saucer to cool it down - increased surface area) Cooling coils are usually replaced only for two reasons.

1. Leaks - which causes the two fluids to mix. In the case of AC, if you are loosing refrigerant gas due to a leak, you have to replace it.

2. Fouling - There are deposits or dirt that reduce the rate of heat transfer. All cooling coils are made of aluminum or copper that have excellent heat transfer rates. A layer of any other material has poorer conductivity. For most automobile applications, aluminum is used as it is lighter.

In the case of the cooling coil, the fluid inside is refrigerant gas mixed with oil that are designed to protect the heat exchanger. The fluid outside is the air that is being cooled. Both these fluids cannot really corrode a cooling coil under normal use. Both the radiator and AC condensor work in a much harsher environment than the cooling coil.

So i suggest that everyone gets it cleaned first (assuming the condensor and compressor are okay). The maximum you lose is the labour and gas cost for the same (roughly 2k). Suresh does a good job of this. Just dont let him take you for a ride as I am sure he gets a cut from the shops nearby (doesnt every mechanic??)
dennie is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 09:13   #80
Senior - BHPian

Good point - the guy probably also makes a good living selling cleaned and reconditioned cooling coils and other AC parts. Well, that joke won't be played on me more than once.

He does a good and professional job but I guess there's things to watch for here like with every other mechanic.

Thanks for pointing that out, lesson learnt