Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th March 2005, 11:59   #1

Default 2 stroke ... 4 stroke ......6 STROKE !

Hey guys ....

All of us have heard of the 2 strokes and 4 strokes .

a farmer from Australia, Beare ..... has invented a 6 stroke engine ..

Kool ..

Find out details from the following web site .. and also from the latest Autocar mag ..

http://www.sixstroke.com/
pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 21:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have read bout this some time back pepper... I couldnt quite undstand why its called a 6stroke engine!!! Its a 4 stroke engine with a 2stroke beater on top for power stroke. Its actually a new technology in 4stroke engine scene but I think 6stroke gives it a bit of hype and skepticism...Its surely the future of engine technology provided it gets the refinement and performance specs it deserves. By what I understand, the power would be in between a 4stroke and a 2stroke of same engine capacities, mileage would be same as a 4stroke engine but torque will be an interesting entity to look at bcos I got no clue(though I feel its gona be less than how much a 4stroke gasoline engine generates)...
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 23:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

IMO, the auto world at large ignored one of the best engineering designs - the wankel engine.

The problem was, by the time it was made reliable, major auto companies had already invested too much in the regular reciprocating piston layout to consider making the switch.

No privately owned and financed idea will ever make it into the mass market. Specially no 4+2 stroke engine, no matter how good it is. Not in this day and age where the emphasis is on clean energy.

Its like electronics. We buy what the companies want to sell us, when they want to sell it to us.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 00:58   #4

Good one Rtech ....

Mr Wankel ... dared to think different with his non reciprocating but instead rotating piston type engine ....

it is widely ignored.... only Mazda rx-7 ..... hey most of the engineers don't know about this engine

This Beare dude was working on this engine from the 80's ....good for him ...

Even the eVolution - compressed air powered car made in France or spain (correct me if i'm wrong) has not gained as much importance ..where people nowadays crib about alternate fuels for safer environment and stuff ..... it can't get safer that air itself .... I was planning to build one for my 8th sem project ..... But my dear friends chickened out in the last moment ...as usual .. They refuse to think "out of the box ".

Keep Kool .. Guys ..
pepper is offline   Reply With Quote