Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 6th August 2008, 22:06   #1
BHPian

Default ABS - A plea to make this a compulsory standard

Why is ABS not a standard on all cars, atleast the new ones???

we have crumple zones being tested ,airbags being blowing up and seat belts being pulled on plastic dummies, bumpers that take impacts upto 5kmph, windshields that don't shatter,electrics that cut off ignition upon crashing .........BUT ALL THESE GET ACTIVATED AND COME TO USE ONLY ON IMPACT.

Wouldn't it make sense to have ABS as a standard to protect someone before the event occurs ?

why don't the insurance companies offer just the slightest bit of incentive for cars with ABS , cause the way i look at it , if an Indian(or anybody infact) is shown something in discount form , we dive in straight away.This kinda marketing could enforce us to ask for ABS to be fitted because " my insurance gets lower " and at end of the day ....... ITS FOR SAVING OUR LIVES !.

Is ABS really that expensive that increase in quantities cannot bring the prices down ? Why haven't any manufacturer (other than Volvo) used the safety tag as a sales gimmick? are we all not safety conscious ?

Enough Ranting i suppose, its just an irritant that entered my spine after driving a NHC(without ABS) and stepping into a OCTY, doing the same ghat section and noticing the difference in my approach to the corners, specially going downhill. I'll leave you'll to it .

A few solutions (nothing based on technical knowledge) ive thought about

1) The person who invents a plug and play type ABS will be a millionaire

2) Govt(or the Automobile regulators) should standardize the cost of fitting ABS , then the insurance companies can calculate the discounts they can "promote". It should then be made compulsory for ABS to be given as an option to all buyers for cars below a certain price bracket, compulsory above.

3) Team-BHP to enlighten all of us and provide even better ideas !
Old 7th August 2008, 13:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well there are some threads where people have argued against ABS and airbags as well. You should take a lookie at those threads. I'm all for it and I've got out of some sticky situations due to it.

Agreed with the point that atleast in India cars with Airbags/ABS should get a lesser insurance premium. :0)
Old 7th August 2008, 16:50   #3
BHPian

Does it really justify the cost? Most people do not go fast enough to warrant ABS. Moreover, I feel that people here give more attention to the road than people in the US or Europe. You can avoid using the ABS in many situations just by paying attention to the road.
Old 7th August 2008, 16:57   #4
BHPian

Hey Srijit: To use an old line, "How fast is fast enough?". ABS does not come into play just when you're braking while speeding. When it helps is in times of panic braking, irrespective of your speed. You might know, if you're going on a wet tarmac, you don't need any speed at all to lock up.
Old 7th August 2008, 17:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Why is ABS not a standard on all cars, atleast the new ones???

we have crumple zones being tested ,airbags being blowing up and seat belts being pulled on plastic dummies, bumpers that take impacts upto 5kmph, windshields that don't shatter,electrics that cut off ignition upon crashing .........BUT ALL THESE GET ACTIVATED AND COME TO USE ONLY ON IMPACT.

Wouldn't it make sense to have ABS as a standard to protect someone before the event occurs ?

why don't the insurance companies offer just the slightest bit of incentive for cars with ABS , cause the way i look at it , if an Indian(or anybody infact) is shown something in discount form , we dive in straight away.This kinda marketing could enforce us to ask for ABS to be fitted because " my insurance gets lower " and at end of the day ....... ITS FOR SAVING OUR LIVES !.

Is ABS really that expensive that increase in quantities cannot bring the prices down ? Why haven't any manufacturer (other than Volvo) used the safety tag as a sales gimmick? are we all not safety conscious ?

Enough Ranting i suppose, its just an irritant that entered my spine after driving a NHC(without ABS) and stepping into a OCTY, doing the same ghat section and noticing the difference in my approach to the corners, specially going downhill. I'll leave you'll to it .

A few solutions (nothing based on technical knowledge) ive thought about

1) The person who invents a plug and play type ABS will be a millionaire

2) Govt(or the Automobile regulators) should standardize the cost of fitting ABS , then the insurance companies can calculate the discounts they can "promote". It should then be made compulsory for ABS to be given as an option to all buyers for cars below a certain price bracket, compulsory above.

3) Team-BHP to enlighten all of us and provide even better ideas !
ABS is a good idea where most other vehicles have brakes that are competent, unfortunately, in India, esp. in Mumbai, ABS becomes a liability because not only is the vehicle behind you not likely to be equipped with ABS but it is likely to be a twenty year old padmini with drum brakes. Apart from that, it is far easier to maintain a safe distance from the car in front of you than the car behind you.
Old 7th August 2008, 17:18   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
ABS is a good idea where most other vehicles have brakes that are competent, unfortunately, in India, esp. in Mumbai, ABS becomes a liability because not only is the vehicle behind you not likely to be equipped with ABS but it is likely to be a twenty year old padmini with drum brakes. Apart from that, it is far easier to maintain a safe distance from the car in front of you than the car behind you.
By that logic disc brakes should be banned because they shorten the stopping distance quite a bit as compared to drum brakes!
Just because other vehicles are not safe, does not mean we should not allow newer vehicles to become safer.
this would be halting progress
Old 7th August 2008, 17:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
By that logic disc brakes should be banned because they shorten the stopping distance quite a bit as compared to drum brakes!
Just because other vehicles are not safe, does not mean we should not allow newer vehicles to become safer.
this would be halting progress
I am not expressing any opinion about whether ABS is good or bad , just making an observation(and also the reason why I did not opt for the ABS/Airbag option for my car). I drive about 100km everyday and my route takes me through all types of roads, from butter smooth expressway to dug up city roads, encountering everything from maniac driven volvos to two wheeler riders who consider themselves invincible and teenagers who think it's cool to run across the road five meters ahead of a vehicle doing sixty.
Old 7th August 2008, 17:44   #8
BHPian

The absence of ABS (even in higher segment cars) is because we Indians are penny wise and pound foolish. To save a small amount, we are ready to foresake safety and play with our lives. It is amusing to hear that since we don't drive fast or don't drive on highways, we don't need ABS. If Indian consumer was even little concerned with safety, car makers would have been forced to offer ABS option with their cars. But the car makers know that Indians are obsessed with price and fuel economy of cars and not with their safety.
Old 7th August 2008, 17:49   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
I cant imagine ABS EVER being a liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Does it really justify the cost? Most people do not go fast enough to warrant ABS. Moreover, I feel that people here give more attention to the road than people in the US or Europe. You can avoid using the ABS in many situations just by paying attention to the road.

Like has been mentioned speed has nothing to do with the benefit of ABS.
Old 7th August 2008, 17:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Nice thread .I guess Government/regulator won't do anything about this in a hurry. This has to be driven by the market ultimately, I guess, in a country like India. We will have to hope that eventually awareness levels will reach a threshold and dictate the manufacturers to take notice and take action.( btw, ESC could become compulsory in new cars in US starting 2009)
What irritates me is when some manufacturer does not even offer it as an option - like, for e.g, a premium car like Honda City ,till recently. I feel that, at every segment of car, the best safety features should be given as options. At least, this way, some customers will choose and we will make a start. It is encouraging that this trend has started and Wagon R/Zen Estillo/i10 etc all have optional ABS, at least.

Last edited by sridharps : 7th August 2008 at 18:04. Reason: It should read ESC
Old 7th August 2008, 19:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

um, actually , under normal conditions , ABS takes a little longer to stop than with locked wheels. In the mentioned case , i dont see padminis with worn out brakes rear ending you because of ABS. The only case where it might happen is if both you and the padmini lose control , in which case , the ABS will help you regain control while the padmini cant. I dont see how that can be a problem either

Last edited by greenhorn : 7th August 2008 at 19:34.
Old 7th August 2008, 19:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

to the original poster, how many instances you know when a car skidded due to harsh braking and could have avoided a collision if ABS was there?

ABS only releases the brake intermittently if there is a lock, it still will take more time to stop than if it were braked sensibly.

EDIT: The reason I am bringing up this point to is to know why you are so sensitive about ABS alone.
Old 7th August 2008, 20:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

I feel that ABS should be avilable as an option in every car starting from Maruti 800. ABS seriously helps by reducing braking distance. In case of wet surface or sandy surface, then an immediate braking wont lead to loss of control.

Its a move long overdue. ABS can actually prevent crashed in many cases.
Old 7th August 2008, 20:02   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
to the original poster, how many instances you know when a car skidded due to harsh braking and could have avoided a collision if ABS was there?

ABS only releases the brake intermittently if there is a lock, it still will take more time to stop than if it were braked sensibly.

EDIT: The reason I am bringing up this point to is to know why you are so sensitive about ABS alone.
And you think in the real panic situation even 1-2% of drivers will "brake sensibly"?

I find it amusing that this can even be debated when worldwide it has gained acceptance as a great safety measure.
Old 7th August 2008, 20:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
And you think in the real panic situation even 1-2% of drivers will "brake sensibly"?

I find it amusing that this can even be debated when worldwide it has gained acceptance as a great safety measure.
no, please don't take it otherwise, what I am trying to say is there are more issues to tackle before we start a plea to make ABS standard.
Closed Thread