Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 22:09   #16
BHPian
 
Hashim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aligarh
Posts: 443
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

The correct way to check the suspension damping is to push the car down from any one side (left or right fenter) and notice how suspension respond. A good suspension will come up slowly to its initial state and not at once like spring. To get a feel of good suspension, first try it on any brand new swift at maruti dealer then immediately on your GRIZZLY.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 12:33   #17
BHPian
 
ghostrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 678
Thanked: 305 Times
Default

Dieselfan.... 30mm??? Where did you come up with that figure from?
OD after the change to 195/65 has gone from 620mm to 609mm, which is only a difference of 11mm.
Sidewall height has gone down by abt 5.25mm and that's not enough to deteriorate the ride as much as the OP's complaining it has.

Also, your assertion that one always experiences a harsh ride when you upsize tyres simply isn't true... I've upsized tyres in both my Ikon and my Swift and the ride and handling has increased in both. Yes, the steering may have become slightly heavier and the FE may have decreased marginally, but the actual ride and handling have improved in both cars.






Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Did you expect a smooth comfortable ride after increasing the tyre size by 30 mm??

You can reduce the tyre pressure by another 2 PSI and you may see some improvement. But with increased tyre size one surely experiences harsh ride however good the quality of the tyre maybe.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 14:30   #18
Newbie
 
grizzly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 24
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Dieselfan.... 30mm??? Where did you come up with that figure from?
OD after the change to 195/65 has gone from 620mm to 609mm, which is only a difference of 11mm.
Sidewall height has gone down by abt 5.25mm and that's not enough to deteriorate the ride as much as the OP's complaining it has.

Also, your assertion that one always experiences a harsh ride when you upsize tyres simply isn't true... I've upsized tyres in both my Ikon and my Swift and the ride and handling has increased in both. Yes, the steering may have become slightly heavier and the FE may have decreased marginally, but the actual ride and handling have improved in both cars.


Couldn't agree more with you on this one...and also the ride has been a total mess for months now and the shock test by pushing the car done from fender is not that reliable either to know if the shocks are OK...Doeas any one of a good mech in NCR who would be able to help me out of this dilemma and help decide if Grizzly needs new dampeners or something else.
grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 20:37   #19
BHPian
 
ghostrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 678
Thanked: 305 Times
Default

I don't know whether you can pull this off, but is there someone else's Swift you could drive on the same stretch to get a reference point? Maybe a friend's or relative's car?
Since this is clearly bothering you a great deal, I guess you need to figure it out one way or another.

Good luck.


Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
Couldn't agree more with you on this one...and also the ride has been a total mess for months now and the shock test by pushing the car done from fender is not that reliable either to know if the shocks are OK...Doeas any one of a good mech in NCR who would be able to help me out of this dilemma and help decide if Grizzly needs new dampeners or something else.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 01:09   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
I have got Goodyear Eagle Ventura on and the size is 195/65 and the suspension has now been throughly checked and the recommendation from Service advisors is to go for a shock absorber changes.Will that be a good idea guys?

If I have to , I plan to go KONIs. What say????
why do you feel you need koni, in this case?
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 01:29   #21
BHPian
 
adi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 274
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
All this did gie grizzly the much appreciated bling but for some reason gradually the cabin comfort went for a complete toss and if that was not enough..the cabin rattles like a rattler and bumps are felt on the bumps(The real ones).

The Maruti Service Master guys say the the shocks are OK since when you press the car downwards, they respond and there is no leak in the shocks are either. BUT honestly the ride feels like crap now..
I have the same problem with my Swift Vxi. From the front left shocks I can hear that 'clunk' noise everytime I drive on bad roads or cross a hump. On my first service, Maruti changed the bush but I still hear the sound. Not to forget, the cabin noise as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
1. Get the suspension's lower arms checked. Some of the "crashing" feeling and clunkiness can be attributed to this (apart from the lower profile tyres, of course).
This is something which I need to check. I am taking the car again to Mandovi on Tuesday to check this. Will keep you updated.

Vipul - I hear this clunk noise on heavy braking. Same problem?
adi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 20:09   #22
BHPian
 
white_vdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: new delhi
Posts: 842
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Urgent help!!!!

i agree with adi on this one. my swift is 3 months old and i hear a "takk" randomly from the front left tire on bumps . its like some part is broken in the front left shock absorber. i hear this sound at least once everyday. Workshop people say its fine because they cant hear it as it comes occasionaly.
please help what can i do about it!!
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 11:36   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

(Not 100% sure if I am posting in the right thread!)


What exactly is a balance rod - is this something related to that shock absorber?

What's the typical life of a balance road in city driving. What are the different things which can go wrong with a balance road - what are the symptoms & does it require repair or replacement?

How much would it cost to replace the balance rod of a Swift Petrol?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 12:27   #24
BHPian
 
saurabhdadhichi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 213
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly
Eagle Ventura 195X65..Tyre pressure mainted 30PSI

All this did gie grizzly the much appreciated bling but for some reason gradually the cabin comfort went for a complete toss and if that was not enough..the cabin rattles like a rattler and bumps are felt on the bumps(The real ones).
So finally what was the solution? It's quite a let down after reading through the thread there was no solution posted.

Would appreciate if mods can also help in here to get the threads without any solution, posted with the solution by the person starting the thread. Thanks
saurabhdadhichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 23:11   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default Re: Are my swift's Shock absorbers dead!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
So finally what was the solution? It's quite a let down after reading through the thread there was no solution posted.

Would appreciate if mods can also help in here to get the threads without any solution, posted with the solution by the person starting the thread. Thanks
Hello! Swift suspension was very bad in stock form. I dunno how is it in the new versions.

Bro! if you have any queries please post here a fresh. this is a very old thread.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 17:06   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Are my swift's Shock absorbers dead!!???

My Swift Petrol VXI-ABS 2007 has now done 70000 kms. The tyres are stock sizes. I just got the 70000 km minor service done. The service adviser said that the suspension is gone. I asked him what he said that it's become very weak and would break. He said the steering parts can be repaired but the suspension parts would have to be replaced. He all together it would cost Rs. 33,000.

Now my questions are
1) How can I confirm it actually needs this work. I don't understand any problems which my car has by sound or feel. I am usually blissfully unaware till the car actually breaks down. Is there any other way to test this out.
2) Can this work be done outside - would it be cheaper - how much? I really don't want to spend Rs. 33,000 on a 6 year old car.
3) Around a 15000 kms back, another Maruti Service center had told me that my car's suspension is leaking oil - I didn't trust them, so I took my car to Vitesse in Andheri and there the guy took a test drive and also checked quickly and said there are no leaks.

Last edited by carboy : 17th August 2013 at 17:07.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 19:55   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,370
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default Re: Are my swift's Shock absorbers dead!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
He said the steering parts can be repaired but the suspension parts would have to be replaced. He all together it would cost Rs. 33,000.

Now my questions are
1) How can I confirm it actually needs this work. I don't understand any problems which my car has by sound or feel. I am usually blissfully unaware till the car actually breaks down. Is there any other way to test this out.
2) Can this work be done outside - would it be cheaper - how much? I really don't want to spend Rs. 33,000 on a 6 year old car.
3) Around a 15000 kms back, another Maruti Service center had told me that my car's suspension is leaking oil - I didn't trust them, so I took my car to Vitesse in Andheri and there the guy took a test drive and also checked quickly and said there are no leaks.
I would say get another opinion on the car's condition before getting the 33000 invested on it. They may or may not be right so why take a chance.

Don't repair any part but just get it replaced even if it costs a bomb as it will give you piece of mind in future.

1) How does the car ride on rough patches and over speed breakers? Do you feel the road un-evenness more than it should be? The ride feel is also linked to maintained tyre pressures so get that checked too. If sounds are loud over rough patches then you can say the suspension is NOT OK.

Just try this:
  1. Open the hood and the boot lid of the car
  2. Go to one side of the car (like front left tyre or rear right tyre) and press down on the car to see how the suspension responds too and see the rebound it gives.
  3. If it smooth then it is OK. The car must not jump up but come ack to its original position slowly
  4. Repeat the same for all four suspensions. Try same by standing the centre of the car and push it down. The whole car must move and not one specific side.

2) Do you have any trusted mechanic that you know or you would be visiting to. Get an opinion and later decide. Since you car is not under warranty you can try outside. No harm in it.

3)Take the car again to Vitesse if you trust that service guys more.

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 20:05   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Are my swift's Shock absorbers dead!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
1) How does the car ride on rough patches and over speed breakers? Do you feel the road un-evenness more than it should be? The ride feel is also linked to maintained tyre pressures so get that checked too. If sounds are loud over rough patches then you can say the suspension is NOT OK.
As I said before, I am not good at gauging the feel and sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Just try this:
  1. Open the hood and the boot lid of the car
  2. Go to one side of the car (like front left tyre or rear right tyre) and press down on the car to see how the suspension responds too and see the rebound it gives.
  3. If it smooth then it is OK. The car must not jump up but come ack to its original position slowly
  4. Repeat the same for all four suspensions. Try same by standing the centre of the car and push it down. The whole car must move and not one specific side.
Will try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

2) Do you have any trusted mechanic that you know or you would be visiting to. Get an opinion and later decide. Since you car is not under warranty you can try outside. No harm in it.
Nope - don't know any mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

3)Take the car again to Vitesse if you trust that service guys more.
Yeah - will probably do that. Only thing is - it's a hour and half or more of a drive for me. So if I am in the area, I will surely check with them.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 12:15   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 289
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Are my swift's Shock absorbers dead!!???

33,000 for change of suspension related parts is very high.

If your suspension has to start failing, your ride quality will degrade considerably. If you havent noticed any percievable degradation of ride quality, it is quite unlikely that the suspension parts are near end of life.
zoombiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 12:19   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Are my swift's Shock absorbers dead!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
If your suspension has to start failing, your ride quality will degrade considerably. If you havent noticed any percievable degradation of ride quality, it is quite unlikely that the suspension parts are near end of life.
As I have said in both my posts, I doubt if I will notice anything unless the suspension breaks and the car stops in the middle of the road.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swift VDi - Spring noise in shock absorbers username Technical Stuff 12 4th December 2015 08:08
Shock absorbers n suspensions gbpscars Modifications & Accessories 1 10th May 2006 14:22
Hyundai Santro Shock Absorbers aquavelva Modifications & Accessories 3 3rd May 2006 15:21
Gas Shock Absorbers for Swift aseem Technical Stuff 26 26th August 2005 09:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks