Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th August 2008, 16:08   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
On my car, work started at 10:00 am and they were done my 11:15. One lower arm was replaced, the other one was checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
It takes max half hour to replace one lower arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
OT: but you have Maruti Service, and I have FIAT (Tata, rather)
Now we have a Maruti Service Center which takes 10 days for a 30 minutes work! Need to check if Pratham has got a R&D wing within Bodyworks.

@Rider, thanks a lot!! I have called Pratham and hold the things till I reach. I am planning to go there tomorrow first thing in the morning and stay put. Regarding the revelations at Pratham, I will surely try to get the complete script by tomorrow. Now since you guys have filled me with some 'gyan', I can be a bit assertive at the whole thing, which was not the case in the morning.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 12th August 2008 at 16:16.
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 16:29   #17
BHPian

One more thing, Pratham ORR garage is always over crowded I had to wait for two days to get my second service done! I didnt go there after that. Better you can try it out in Suraksha, contact details are avalable in the forum itslef. In UM cars you can contact Murali, they too got a good paint booth. We have got my friends azure grey swift's left fender tinkering and painting done there at 2300. He also had dent on the running board, for which pratham has qouted 8K and one week, where in UM cars qouted 1500 and 1 day!

Last edited by BMW-X5 : 12th August 2008 at 16:32. Reason: spelling
BMW-X5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 16:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Rajesh - Just for reference, I once had to get my Santro's lower arm replaced when she suffered an impact on the road itself & the service vehicle guys came & did it within 30 mins! And mind you this was out on the road! Cost was Rs. 1800.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 16:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

@Rajesh - If you are in Koramangala vicinity then take your car to Green Cars and ask for Kumar over there and tell him I referred you to him.

There is something which I forgot to add. The lower arm is not available at the moment with any of the service centres. I had to source mine from outside. Luckily I found it.

And there is a typo in one of my previous messages. The place where my car is right now is not an authorised service station. It is a private garage. I was typing on my phone while having lunch and hence the mistake.

But I got the quote of 1320:00 each from Green Cars which is an authorised sevice station.

In case you have problems sourcing the part, let me know. maybe my mechanic can help.

Last edited by vikram_d : 12th August 2008 at 17:04.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 16:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

the thing with modern cars!!

Dont spank the pratham guy yet...

If its only a lower arm job - expect <5K bill and please dont go the insurance way, its a loss for you.

But - the pics tell a diff story though!!

If the impact was felt thru the shockers - the sturt mounting is a gonner; expect some chassis work. I pray not. Any direct impact of hitting the front wheel over any square object like a kerb or a bridge's side lining can cause the 'vertical' shocker to bend and damage itself, also could damage the mounting from which it dangles down the wheel well.

All said, i am waiting to hear the post-mortem from ORR Pratham.

Last edited by svsantosh : 12th August 2008 at 16:57.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 17:03   #21
BHPian

Great point!

@menonrajesh: can you post pictures of the top of the strut towers (both left and right)? If possible, please post the pics of the strut too.
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 17:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

@svsantosh - In the swift there seems to be some kind of flexible joint for the shocker. And in my car there was absolutely no damage to it except for the lower arm bend. According to my mechanic in the suspension the lower arm is the weakest link. So that any hit will cause damage to most inexpensive part and not the expensive ones like the strut and drive shafts.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:20   #23
BHPian

Just spoke to the service advisor.
According to him, if the lower arm is bent, it could cost around 3000/- ( He is not sure of the exact price, he says. Anyways I have conveyed him the knowledge I have gathered so far and he was like 'hmm..yes sir, yes sir..it could be correct') and it would be a minor job. He adds that if the 'apron' is affected, this would attract heavy cost and time. He needs to remove all parts to check the damage to apron! In this way he justifies 25k and 10 or more days time.

Basically the fact here is that, he never explained in this detail when I spoke to him in person today morning. When I started to confront his claims with whatever inputs have got, the scene changes.

Now I have another question: what is this 'apron'? It looks like I would be able to compile a bible on the components down there in the front of my car, very soon!

@santosh, wish it was just a lower arm job. Thanks for the insights however.
Thanks @Vikram,@iraghava,@BMW and @Vipul for those inputs. I will keep you guys posted.

Regarding insurance, I have already made a claim in this year and the insurance is valid for another 25 days. Hope I will not lose out much hence.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 12th August 2008 at 17:26.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

If there are no dents on the body work then I dont think the apron will be affected. From the photos that you have posted I dont think the apron has been affected. Your car looks exactly like mine did on saturday evening when I had this problem. The only difference being for me it was the right front wheel. But I replaced both the lower arms.

Last edited by vikram_d : 12th August 2008 at 17:27.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:33   #25
BHPian

I am still not able to understand why the Service Center would need 10days to estimate the damage?

Let us assume that the apron is indeed damaged. In this case, once you replace the (presumably damaged) lower arm and ensure that the strut is true, you would not be able to set the wheel alignment correctly (the tow and camber would be out).

So if, after replacing the lower arm, all parameters of wheel alingment are met, the apron is not bent. Checking out all this should not take more than 2-3 hours.
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 17:48   #26
BHPian

Thanks for those reassuring words Vikram.

Vipul, 10 days are quoted not for estimation but for the delivery of the car after the repairs. I presume the initial delays could be because of the Insurance Claim I am making. SA mentioned that he can't check the damages in detail till the insurance guys come and see the vehicle. That sounded convincing too. yes, whatever you have mentioned ( half of it went way over my head) are the practical solutions and I hope they do it accordingly.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:54   #27
BHPian

well lets see now how the cost is going to be worst case scenario
replace lower arm try allignment and see 0 degree camper[ actually + or - 3dgree or so is ok depends actually]..(if the campher doesnt fall in acceptable range then tyres will be worn out uneven and fast) is possible..then ok.. if not then replace strut check ..yes ok..not ok. replace suspension insulation check again..if ok..cool not ok!! then goes for knuckle...rare thing and a bit costly too. then yeah for steering misallingment steering tie rod might have to be replaced!! then there is the bush which they replace in most accident cases...and yeah if all this doesnt fix the issue then yes the front axle is got to be replaced!! this will make the cost go above 25k!!.

real case scenario should be in between i guess but dont think that just a lower arm replacement will solve your problem!! if it does you are a really lucky person.lolz.

anyways drive safe man tc.
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 18:09   #28
BHPian

Sameel, you almost took my breath out and then I saw your second para. Thanks

More than cost, I am worried on the competency of Pratham guys to carry out those herculian tasks(atleast for me) you narrated in the best way possible. Trust tomorrow is going to be a good day and it unfolds well.
Old 12th August 2008, 20:25   #29
BHPian

At 7.30 after repeated calls to the SA, he revealed that they have prepared an estimate. It is for Rs.32,000/- approx. According to him the lower arm was bent and to be replaced, frame was bent and to be replaced and many other things. He went on to say that he will get the correct picture tomorrow after speaking with the surveyor!! None of his answers were convincing and upon confrontation he started to scrabble for words.When threatened that I will come tomorrow and take the vehicle out of his place, he, out of blue, agreed to relook at the estimate and even the damage! Another 20 minutes ticks away, he returns the call.As per the latest assessment, damages are

a) Lower Arm ( only LHS) - Bent
b) wheel rim/disk - small bend
c) Fender re-painting
d) Bumper re-paiting.

In on time, issues have become less, atleast in number! He would get me the re-estimated figures tomorrow morning.I have told him that I would take it up from there after seeing the figures.

Guys, meanwhile could you please help me out with a possible estimate for these issues? I understand lower arm costs 1300/- approx. Fender and bumper re-painting also can't go over the sky. What could be impact of Wheel rim / disk bend? Apart from the cost, is there anything else which I need to check for, related with this issue?
Old 12th August 2008, 20:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

A steel wheel rim should cost about 1k or so. And the bend doesn't look too bad, if you tell the Pratham guys not to fix it, you can get it straightened from a tyre shop for a couple of hundred bucks.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote