Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th August 2008, 20:43   #31
BHPian

hahahaha...cant stop laughing.
now i know the sad state of dealers in banglore. man these guys do take you for a ride huh. here in kerala - cochin for me with my dealer things are always straight forward . yes one thing do is there i am a CRS engineer workin in Bosch and yes my dad is a mech engineer so no fooling us .
best thing to do is get a local mech and take him with you to estimate the repair.
see the thing is the lower arm when bend, the impact goes on to the strut also. i suspect that your strut is kind of bent or tilted to the forward that might be the reason the wheel is moved forward. also check in a level surface if the damaged side is slightly tilted down or upwards then struct might be damaged.
and be sure to check the strut insulation the struct is fixed on one side to this and other side goes into the coil spring setup..
and do tell us whether the car goes straight sidewards when the steering is held straight!. if thats the case then steering tie rod is damaged!. always take a second opinion for safety.
cant help you with spares cost!! i own two hyundais
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 22:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

@menonrajesh - While Pratham may not be the best dealer around, it is possible to get work done in a satisfactory manner, if you talk to the right people and escalate, if necessary. Please talk to Mr. Venu from BRC(Body repair centre) regarding your apprehensions, also to Mr. Rajkumar, who is the works manager. Tell your SA that you will not accept his BS and will escalate if necessary.

When you enter the service section, there is a white board which has the contact details of all service personnel, it will also include contact details of one Mr. Kawaljeet Singh, he is the regional contact for any issues that you may have.

That said, BRC is the worst dept at Pratham, the timelines they give are usually not adhered to, unless you are willing to go there every alternate day and follow it up. They usually have lots of backlog and are not generally worried about the quality of work they do. If paint quality is shoddy, do not accept it, make them redo it. It is not as if they cannot do a good job, but mostly you have to demand it.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 02:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
A steel wheel rim should cost about 1k or so. And the bend doesn't look too bad, if you tell the Pratham guys not to fix it, you can get it straightened from a tyre shop for a couple of hundred bucks.

and one thing i wanted to say here, if the stock wheel rim costs so much at the maruthi spares please look for one at a reputed local tyre alighment shop they will have a set or two for peanuts, i know this, not less than 30% (if not more) swifts have stock wheels they are all up graded to alloys and these rims dont fit any other car so they cost peanuts for brand new out side.

EDIT: yaar you should have got the complete story please try and get it tomorrow at least if you can i sure wanna hear it, lets see what kind of skit these guys have prepared that worth more than 30grand he heh e heh hehe ha ha.

Last edited by rider60 : 13th August 2008 at 02:04.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 12:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Rajesh,

Where does the story stand now?

But I do appreciate the SA skills in story narration! :-)
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 12:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
do tell us whether the car goes straight sidewards when the steering is held straight!. if thats the case then steering tie rod is damaged!. always take a second opinion for safety.
No. there was no pulling towards sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
@menonrajesh - While Pratham may not be the best dealer around, it is possible to get work done in a satisfactory manner, if you talk to the right people and escalate, if necessary.
Thanks Kuttappan for those names. Will surely escalate the matter if things are not proceeding as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
not less than 30% (if not more) swifts have stock wheels they are all up graded to alloys and these rims dont fit any other car so they cost peanuts for brand new out side.
That sounds convincing. Will surely explore this if pratham insists to replace the rim. Thanks iRaghava too for those prices.

Today morning SA called me to give the new estimate he prepared on lines with the inspection he had yesterday night. New estimate comes at 17,000/- odd. It includes ( dont remember the exact prices, as they were conveyed over phone and couldn't write down)

a) Lower arm replacement
b) Frame replacement
c) Wheel rim replacement
d) Complete Bumper repainting
e) Fender dent removal and painting
f) Labour charges

Material costs are around 9000/- and labour costs are approx 7000/-.

When I told him that I dont want them to replace Frame and Wheel Rim, he tell me , 'yes, they are repairable'! Also just for a minor scrape on the side, he has estimated for repainting the entire bumper!! I have asked him to get the part-painting provided he matches the shades. Else will have to be repeated. Now he is waiting for the surveyor to come and assess.I am also waiting t hear from him after that. Unfortunately I couldn't spare myself from office; eventhough wanted to be at Pratham badly.

It looks like the 32k estimate he gave me yesterday night involved replacement of the most of the affected parts - including bumper! I was not in a mood to dig up further on the individual costs, once I heard 32 K and so dont remember the actual breakup told over phone. However I am planning to get both the estimates( for that matter, whatever theories & estimates he has and would have) in writing from him once I meet. It surely looks like a day light robbery and can not tolerate anymore. THank god that I didn't scrape my running board, else he would have estimated to replace the entire car!!

One thing is decided: No more pratham. Current one is final.

EDIT: yes, HappyWheels: Award for the best script would have gone to Mr Ramesh of Pratham, had there been an Automobile category for Filmfare!

Last edited by menonrajesh : 13th August 2008 at 12:24.
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 13:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Just got my car back from the garage. I still need to get wheel alignment done. My total bill was Rs.4500:00 which included all the spares (in my case only lower arms), full washing of the car and upholstery cleaning.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 14:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Just got my car back from the garage. I still need to get wheel alignment done. My total bill was Rs.4500:00 which included all the spares (in my case only lower arms), full washing of the car and upholstery cleaning.
Good to hear, Vikram. Thanks for the update.
I am still expecting a fresh script from the SA. Lets see.
Old 13th August 2008, 15:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Menon,
Please help me with the below observations

a) Lower arm replacement - (MAX 2K, ok...)
b) Frame replacement - (What is this??)
c) Wheel rim replacement (MAX 1.5K, Still Ok)
d) Complete Bumper repainting (CRAP, why???, blast him, tell him NOT to touch the paint job now, live with it for a few days and get the car out 1st, cosmetic things can be done elsewhere)
e) Fender dent removal and painting (AGAIN - ask him not to touch, outside job is cheaper)
f) Labour charges - (will reduce without denting/tinkering charges)

--Get a new quote for above observations and if job comes less than 4K, get it paid thru cash, I (or) many others can get the painting/touch up job done outside and wont cost more than 2-3K.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 17:43   #39
BHPian

Santosh, I even dont know what this 'frame' is and asked my SA to show me when I come in person!

Now, listen to this: He called me few minutes back and told me - 'sir, frame is fine. I checked up in another Swift..Frame's shape is like that only, no bend' - Will you believe it?? These guys are parking a car next to mine and doing a comparision to find out the damage?!!! oh god!! Anyways I have asked him to replace the lower arm, remove the dent of rim, fender painting and bumper part-painting. Thats it. He has agreed to prepare a new estimate and let me know by evening. Also agreed to give the delivery by Saturday. If the paint work is shoddy, I will make sure that he will never ever give 'advise' anyone in Pratham anymore.

Since I am not losing out NCB this time, I am trying to include all works under the insurance claim. It will take care of the labour charges. I will have to pay only 10% of the cost of metal parts, Rs 500/- for processing the claim and the VAT amount.Hope it will not set me back too much.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 13th August 2008 at 17:49.
Old 13th August 2008, 18:03   #40
BHPian

Wow Rajesh! This story is like a bollywood potboiler, every time you think you have it figured out, the plot takes a different turn.

And that too with Maruti Service. Wonder what can happen to people like me?

Just indicates how pathetic are the service standards in our country (at least in pockets).
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 06:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post

Since I am not losing out NCB this time, I am trying to include all works under the insurance claim. It will take care of the labour charges. I will have to pay only 10% of the cost of metal parts, Rs 500/- for processing the claim and the VAT amount.Hope it will not set me back too much.

now i just cant help it pardon me for this mmuuhuhuh ha ha ha ha ha hhahahah, mate what are you doing?

you are losing NCB!

the next year when you pay the insurance it will be almost the same year as this year's, and more over the NCB works like this,

first year if no insurance is claimed then the NCB for the next year is around 5-10% of the insurance, meaning the insurance to be paid is reduced by that percentage
the year further its 15-20%
then its even further 20-30% and so on its in this fashion the insurance works out with the NCB,

and mind you if in case one happens to CLAIM THE INSURANCE SAY AFTER 3 YEARS OF VEHICLE'S purchase this ladder of percentage climbed is lost out, if on the fourth year based on the amount you claimed for, the insurance increases substantially meaning paying an amount close to a brand new car's and this ladder starts all over again.

search for the insurance and NCB on the forum to get a clear picture, and make it a point to be there when the comes there talk to him about the same and how it works out!

if you still have time please avoid insurance claim, i find any amount over 5K for this outrageous (unless you want to keep the car looking like brand new and get it painted after every small scratch) that 5K would even take car of your touch ups of the bumper and fender too.

and about the paint you can even do it for lesser on a lazy and free sunday, look up this site,

Com-Paint Touchup Spray Paint, aerosol spray paint, supplier of spray paint,spray, spray paint, touchup, touch-up, aerosol spray paint manufacturers, spray paint,Touchup, Touch-up Spray, Spray Bottle, aerosol spray paint manufacturer, com-paint manuf

Com-Paint Touchup Spray Paint, aerosol spray paint, supplier of spray paint,spray, spray paint, touchup, touch-up, aerosol spray paint manufacturers, spray paint,Touchup, Touch-up Spray, Spray Bottle, aerosol spray paint manufacturer, com-paint manuf

i have tried this and they do work if done in the way they are suppose to be done like in their demo video, just wait for my DIY of the same. and this would mean the bill will not cross 4500.

if i was you and if i dint have the time to spare for all this nonsense, then i would wait till i can take out one whole day for this, go to a local maruthi authorized garage get all of this done like VikramD did.

so take a wise step mate. Pull back the car from this service center and get it done outside.

about the RIM its not even badly bent nothing as bad compared to mine which was repaired with a hammer and put on the rim straightner and balanced back to health for 50 bucks, and if you are still unsatisfied then take it to a wheel alignment shop and put it on a rim reshaping machine which will hardly cost 100 bucks(including balancing for that wheel.)!

HOPE this has helped you!
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 08:20   #42
BHPian

Thanks Rider for such an informative piece. It has given me clear directions atleast for future. This time, I fear, I may have to have the service from this Pratham itself as they are already on the job and I am getting the vehicle back either today evening ( I know, it is not possible, still they have told that they will try) or by saturday.

Regarding the insurance, I think you missed my post somehow, in which I had mentioned that I have already made a claim this year. Let me make it clear. This is the 2nd year of my ownership and the insurance is valid till sep 2008. In Feb 08, I had made a claim and had effectively lost the NCB for next year.( As you rightly said, I lost the NCB of 25%) However considering the amount I ran into, this lose is negligible. I have already got the insurance renewal notification from Royal Sundaram and the amount I need to pay in Sep 08, is a bit lesser amount than last year. Infact, eventhough I have lost the NCB worth 2500/-(which has come back to 0% and will have to start climbing the ladder), they have provided close to 2500/- discount on the premium amount. I need to pay around 8700/- or so, with the IDV of vehicle being 4.2 L.

Now, currently I am making 2nd claim in this year. I am under the belief that with this 2nd claim, I am not losing out anything extra on NCB. I will proceed to renew the insurance with the figure Royal Sundaram has offered, with in a week. Thats the whole idea.

I hope my understanding about this insurance stuff is fine. Pls correct me if not.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 14th August 2008 at 08:22.
Old 14th August 2008, 09:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

yes Rajesh what you say is absolutely correct. if you have already claimed once in this cycle it will not affect your premium in any way if you claim it again.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 14:13   #44
BHPian

Thought of giving an update:

Received the vehicle on Saturday from Pratham. I had to wait for 2 hrs to get the car. The total bill was Rs. 4829/- and I had to pay Rs.732/- only by claiming insurance. I have attched the bill, old estimate my SA prepared ( for Rs. 17K - which should give some idea how the body works dept. make money!) and the wheel alignment/balancing report card. Sorry that I could not manage to get the very first estimate worth Rs.32k. Looking at the estimate of 17k, I strongly feel 32k estimate would have included replacement of most of the parts!

Rim has got rid of its small dent and placed in the sparewheel after going through Wheel Alignment / balancing. Paint job - on the fender was good and neat. But the part-painting on the bumper was pathetic. They had not removed the bumper to get it painted or even didn't care to apply some paper / sticker on the surrounding areas; end result was that the paint got sprinkled all over in that area. You can see the paint particles on the fog lamp cover, under the wheel arch and so on. Painted area on the bumper was not polished as well. I could notice this much only at that time, as it was dark already and when confronted, SA agreed to get the things to perfection during my next service! (By then he knows that I will never ever turn that side for any future work) However I wanted the car urgently and decided to take the delivery.

Sunday morning inspected the vehicle to find the 'degree' of shoddy work and it was indeed substandard. Today, first thing in the morning, escalated the matter to the GM and the in-charge of Body Works and he has promised that things would be taken care of along with a surge of apologies.

Having claimed the insurance and paid a small amount, I still don't get that pinch and will have to ensure they they do a clean job with the intervention of GM. Otherwise it would have been a shocker!

Moral of the story: End of 2 year relationship with Pratham Motors. They just don't qualify - atleast in my books.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Front Tyre repositioned - advice on damage please.-estimate.jpg  

Swift Front Tyre repositioned - advice on damage please.-bill.jpg  

Swift Front Tyre repositioned - advice on damage please.-wheelalignment1.jpg  

Old 18th August 2008, 14:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

my moral of the story -

(1) 1171Rs for a Swift Lower arm - Great show Maruti
(2) 825 + 2300 Tinkering&Painting Charges - Highway Robbery, Aka ORR Roberry by Pratham!!!

What crap, after paying 3 times the cost of a lower arm you should @ least expect a decent paint job. No wonder dealers make merry on Tinkering/Painting charges where the Company doesnt have a say...!!!

After the Bimal Bashing up a TD customer and Pratham doing this for a fender bender - Where is Maruti going in Bangalore?
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote