Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th August 2008, 14:25   #1
BHPian

Default Swift Front Tyre repositioned - advice on damage please.

Hi TBHPians,

Need some urgent help !

Wifey banged our Swift on Saturday against the side railing of a small brigde. Left fender and bumper have got brushed and there is a small damage to the Left front wheelcup as well. It looks like the direct impact was on to the wheels and the wheelcup bore the brunt. As a result,the left front tyre has got pushed back towards the wall of wheel arch ( towards the mudflap) and while rotating, the tyre is scrapping against the inner portion of the wall.

Today I took the vehicle to Pratham Motors, Sarjapur Ring Road and the service adviser came out with a finding that the “lower arm” could be twisted and it may have to be replaced. He has not inspected the damage in detail but after a peripheral examination he mentioned this.Since I am planning to claim the insurance, he is saying that he would inspect the damage only after the insurance authorities come and check the vehicle. For this, he needs to remove the engine, all other parts on the area! He has added that to replace the “lower arm”, it would cost me around 25,000 or higher.

Eventhough he has agreed to update me by today evening after having a close look, I somehow am not convinced that the damage could be so bad. The speed at which the car rammed against the raling of the bridge, would be max 10-15 KM. I, infact, had pulled the handbrake also just before the collision. I would request an opinion from you guys before I talk further with Pratham. Please have a look at the pics attached. Hope they would give a clear idea.

Thanks in advance
Rajesh

MODS: Please post this in the approprite section, if found out of place. Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by menonrajesh : 12th August 2008 at 14:27.
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 14:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

thats definitely what the service center guy said it to be, some kind of lower arm bent, it does not matter with the speed, its the wrong direction of the pressure put on the wheel that has lead to this.

however before claiming have it checked thoroughly at a local garage, and by the way is this a petrol or a diesel swift?

also the local wheel alignment and the balancing guys can be of good assistance here.

now you should change the wheel to the spare one and check for the amount of pulling and wobbling happening too.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 14:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

It does look like the impact has bent the lower arm, that is why the tyre has been pushed back & is rubbing with the arch. however, there is no way that you have to remove the engine to replace the lower arm, it's accessible from beneath. What the advisor is telling you about the charges is also complete hogwash. I suggest you go to another workshop & get a second opinion.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 14:58   #4
BHPian

@Rider:How I wish this could not be true Such a small collision and a big damage!!
Do you really think the lower arm needs to be replaced? can't it be repaired? I am a noob in this!

I have left the car at Pratham currently. Let me see if I can take it out to a local garage. I will wait for the call from Service adviser by evening and will take it up from there. Yes, I will surely chek for the wheel balancing / alignment. Thanks for reminding

It is a Petrol one.

@Iraghava: yeah, indeed the theory of removing all parts including the engine to inspect the damage was suspicious and it prompted me to look the proceeding in a different way.
As you suggested, I should check it up at another place as well.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 12th August 2008 at 15:01.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:02   #5
BHPian

Rajesh,

Take your car to either Suraksha or UM cars, they are far better than these so called dealers. BTW who was the service advisor Mr.Raj Kumar ?
BMW-X5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 15:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

It most certainly a lower arm bent. My car is in the garage as we speak getting the same problem corrected.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 15:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Rajesh,

Take your car to either Suraksha or UM cars, they are far better than these so called dealers. BTW who was the service advisor Mr.Raj Kumar ?
Service Advisor is Mr Ramesh who is into bodyworks dept.

@vikram, did you get any estimate on the damage? If so, could you please share it? Also it would be great if you could let me know the garage as well.Thanks.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 12th August 2008 at 15:29.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

The price of the lower arm is 1320 each. Just found out from my garage. My car gets serviced at a private garage and am authorised service station.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:35   #9
BHPian

I am really surprised at the estimate of Rs. 25000. I got the lower arm replaced on my car (Palio) two days ago, and the bill was for Rs. 3000 (incl labor). I am sure the Swift's lower arm is not costly either.

Edit: Just saw that vikram has posted the price of the Swift's lower arm.

Please get a second opinion.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 12th August 2008 at 15:37.
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 15:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The price of the lower arm is 1320 each. Just found out from my garage. My car gets serviced at a private garage and am authorised service station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
I am really surprised at the estimate of Rs. 25000. I got the lower arm replaced on my car (Palio) two days ago, and the bill was for Rs. 3000 (incl labor). I am sure the Swift's lower arm is not costly either.

Edit: Just saw that vikram has posted the price of the Swift's lower arm.

Please get a second opinion.
huh!! such a huge difference!! Thanks Vikram and vipul.
I am on the job.. Mr Rameeeesh, here I come
Old 12th August 2008, 15:48   #11
BHPian

@Vipul, @Vikram, how long did they take to replace the lower arm?
For me, they have told that lower-arm work as well as a smallish denting and painting job would take 10 days. Now, I am sure, this also could be surprising..aren't they?
Old 12th August 2008, 15:54   #12
BHPian

On my car, work started at 10:00 am and they were done my 11:15. One lower arm was replaced, the other one was checked.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

It takes max half hour to replace one lower arm.
Old 12th August 2008, 16:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
It takes max half hour to replace one lower arm.
OT: but you have Maruti Service, and I have FIAT (Tata, rather)
Old 12th August 2008, 16:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

it should not take more than a day or two at most, unless they have too many cars at the service center and yours waits in the queue.

mate just take the car to another garage just like vikram make sure its a maruthi authorized garage, and do get this fixed, i remember the same thing done to my dear old M800 now.

just for the heck of it try the spare wheel on before fixing it and see the amount wobbling and misalignment and do the same after getting the job fixed so that you will know how the car feels bafore and after.

and get the balancing and alignment done which you need anyway, and also have the suspension bushes and dampers properly inspected too for any injuries incurred.

EDIT: forgot to add, please let us know why the A.S.S. guy quoted that heavy? what his theory was, lets see what kind of story they tell us to make big bucks or is that all for real?

i asked you if it was a diesel or a petrol for the same reason, because the diesel car's engine bay is too cramped and may be the engine would have to be removed for this reason and hence the cost, but vikram confirmed this is not necessary, so please tell us what the A.S.S. guy's theory was?

Last edited by rider60 : 12th August 2008 at 16:11.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote