Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2008, 10:51   #1
BHPian
 
Wimwian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 191
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Water Seepage Issue

My June 2007 Swift Vxi developed a water seepage problem about a month and a half back. The driver's footrest area is the only area that is affected. At first I thought that water had seeped through the door while driving through waterlogged streets. But then the issue didn't get resolved and the seepage continued long after the waterlogged streets had cleared. Later on, I figured that water is seeping through whenever the car's been left outside in the rain. There was a dry spell for a week or so here in Kolkata, and the carpet dried out completely. But as soon as the rain's came back, the problem resurfaced.

After about a month or so since the issue cropped us, I had to drive through knee-deep water again last wednesday. While I was doing so, I kept an eye on the door - there was absolutely no seepage from there. Do you guys have any idea where else it can seep through? Is there some way it can seep through the wiper area? I've had the airconditioning system checked and that is not the problem.

The Maruti guys are as clueless as I. Its been in the workshop twice and they haven't been able to rectify it yet. Will be taking it once again on Monday, but I doubt they will able to do much this time too unless I can tell them what to fix.

This is really driving me crazy... the carpet's been soggy for over a month now and I am quite worried about rust setting in if this is not resolved quickly!

Wim
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 11:00   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

I heard that some batches of cars face this problem because the robot did not fix the sealant properly. The solution is to apply sealant on the windscreen edges from inside and in worst case, remove and refix front glass. I was told by a guy in Maruti A.S.S that this is a common problem in Maruti, he himself has fixed many cars(Alto, Swift etc).

Incidentally, my Swift was June 2007 too. So same batch, probably.

Last edited by kuttapan : 15th August 2008 at 11:02.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 11:02   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default

Have they checked all the door beadings? Another way of figuring out is to sit inside the car while doing a pressure wash. Maybe you could see signs of leakage.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 11:08   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

Does the swift have drain holes on the floor like the old marutis?? If so, one of their caps could be missing, coz i faced the same problem in my 800 once, But dunno whether the newer ones have these.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 17:31   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BAngalore
Posts: 87
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

I too have a June 2007 Black VXI with the water seepage problems from near the front glass beading at the top. Got it fixed with the help of some sealant, but not really upto the mark !! In the process , the two A-Pillar panels and the upper flannel uphostery was smudged and it looks very odd..

The service technician lifted his arms as if in despair and said " theres nothing more that could be done " and I was just and the service supervsior was about to me if had stayed any longer..
mjkaushal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 21:06   #6
BHPian
 
Blr_RK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

I had similar issues with my Santro Xing. The service center guys told me that the area between the bonnet and the front glass (its plastic with some drain holes) is the culprit. Usually, the rain water will drain through the holes, but if they are clogged or blocked, there are chances that the water will get accummulated and then seep inside.

In my car, this was happening on the passenger side. Once the clogging was cleared, the issue got resolved. May be you can try the same.

Rgds
Suhas
Blr_RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 21:12   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,705 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
I heard that some batches of cars face this problem because the robot did not fix the sealant properly. The solution is to apply sealant on the windscreen edges from inside and in worst case, remove and refix front glass. I was told by a guy in Maruti A.S.S that this is a common problem in Maruti, he himself has fixed many cars(Alto, Swift etc).

Incidentally, my Swift was June 2007 too. So same batch, probably.
This reminds me of the windscreens of Mercedes Benz C Class being fixed by robots at the assembly line in the Mercedes manufacturing facility at Poplingen, off Stuttgart in Germany That I visited recently. Its so precisely done. The paintshop which is a part of the assembly line is also top class. Visitors are shown only the C Class assembly line, but not the assembly lines of the higher versions. Photography is totally prohibited.

But back to the Marutis I'm feeling ashamed to read this thread and to hear about such archiac problems that MSIL makes its "valued" customers face, not with any basic car model but with the premium hatch "Swift". After all we are the 12th largest car maker in the world!!
I remember reading a complaint (The Statesman) about a brand new Ambassador sold in Calcutta in the 1970's. The front windscreen beading was permitting rain water to flow inside and reach the dashboard and floor. Upon complaining, the buyer was told by the dealer- "see the engine, don't see the body."
With these Swift complaints , I feel the old days are back again.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 15th August 2008 at 21:13.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 23:11   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

i have a similar issue my case its not the pillars but the door beading and the window glass's beading misalignment, take a look at this linky, and help me too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...tml#post940977
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 00:56   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
With these Swift complaints , I feel the old days are back again.
it is not only Swift, the technician was telling that Alto's Wagon R's also faced this problem. Maybe some robots at Maruti plant are playing traunt.

This problem is not really noticeable as the leak is only a tricke and your car has to be parked on rain for hours to get a puddle on the drivers side.

When I mentioned this first, the response was to check the door beadings and align the door. Second time same thing. They never bothered to check where the leak is coming from. I sat inside and made someone pour water, but couldn't find anything. It was only after escalating to the regional service guy that he came down and said that this is a problem with some batches of cars and adding sealant is the remedy and in worst case, remove and refix front glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
I too have a June 2007 Black VXI with the water seepage problems from near the front glass beading at the top. Got it fixed with the help of some sealant, but not really upto the mark !! In the process , the two A-Pillar panels and the upper flannel uphostery was smudged and it looks very odd..

The service technician lifted his arms as if in despair and said " theres nothing more that could be done " and I was just and the service supervsior was about to me if had stayed any longer..
Another June 2007 car !!
THis has to be taken care of under warranty and I do not know why the service supervisor has to fret over a problem in a car. Learn to put your foot down and take them to task. If the leak was not fixed to your satisfaction, ask them to remove and refix front windshield. I am not sure, but I was told that there has been a circular on this to Maruti dealers. Maybe they are hding away all the circulars.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 02:09   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
i have a similar issue my case its not the pillars but the door beading and the window glass's beading misalignment, take a look at this linky, and help me too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...tml#post940977

kuttapan can please check out my thread and give me some info,

should i ask maruthi to do the same for me that change the door beadings or is a better solution to the same man my door pads were scaled like some fungus infection on the pads and was stinking so i can use the help.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post

Another June 2007 car !!
THis has to be taken care of under warranty and I do not know why the service supervisor has to fret over a problem in a car. Learn to put your foot down and take them to task. If the leak was not fixed to your satisfaction, ask them to remove and refix front windshield. I am not sure, but I was told that there has been a circular on this to Maruti dealers. Maybe they are hding away all the circulars.

is this problem also eminent in the dec 2007 cars can you please find that out? my swift is dec 2007 model car.

Last edited by rider60 : 16th August 2008 at 02:10.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 09:50   #11
BHPian
 
Wimwian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 191
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Thanks Kuttapan, I had never thought of the windshield sealant. Looks like the mid-2007 cars are the ones that are affected. Will make sure they check it properly on Monday and rectify it under warranty. They've already changed my ignition and door lock set under warranty - god knows how many more issues due to poor build quality will crop up. Shame on Maruti!!
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 12:30   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
kuttapan can please check out my thread and give me some info,

is this problem also eminent in the dec 2007 cars can you please find that out? my swift is dec 2007 model car.
I am out of the country, so unable to get any information on Dec 2007 cars. However, I haev commented on your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
Thanks Kuttapan, I had never thought of the windshield sealant. Looks like the mid-2007 cars are the ones that are affected. Will make sure they check it properly on Monday and rectify it under warranty. They've already changed my ignition and door lock set under warranty - god knows how many more issues due to poor build quality will crop up. Shame on Maruti!!
Build quality is the biggest issue with Swift, I agree. But if you make noise about it, the company is willing to stand behind their product and fix it, unlike some Honda and Skoda stories that keep popping up. If you have not notices, there is a person in charge at every dealership to specifically take care of peculiar complaints on new vehicles and fix it to the customers satisfaction. Maruti then gets to know these problems and tries to fix them. Issues are there with most cars, it is how the company responds that makes or breaks the ownership experience.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 21:14   #13
BHPian
 
Wimwian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 191
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Build quality is the biggest issue with Swift, I agree. But if you make noise about it, the company is willing to stand behind their product and fix it, unlike some Honda and Skoda stories that keep popping up. If you have not notices, there is a person in charge at every dealership to specifically take care of peculiar complaints on new vehicles and fix it to the customers satisfaction. Maruti then gets to know these problems and tries to fix them. Issues are there with most cars, it is how the company responds that makes or breaks the ownership experience.
I agree, service level has been top class!! They agreed to change my ignition key set under warranty without making any noise (new one costs 3.7K). On top of that, they also mended an ugly dent on the boot door and fixed a new fog light bulb free of charge. As far as I'm concerned, I'm quite satisfied with the work done in the service center.

What irks me no end is, why would a 1 year old car need so many trips to the workshop??? Maruti aspires to be a world-class company... which other world-class car would need to be taken to the workshop this often in the first 2-3 years other than for servicing?
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 21:23   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: goa
Posts: 981
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

I have been having a similar problem on my Baleno. Found that the carpet below driver foot area was soaking wet. This was after the car was driven in unusually heavy rain.

Funny thing is I had no problem for the monsoons of 2006 and 2007.

I got the entire carpet removed, to let it dry, and kept only rubber mattings, and the car has been to the MASS on three separate times.

They initially investigated whether the drainage below the wipers was blocked, but it was not . So they told me that a drain plug in the floor was loose, and it was replaced. I had put three layers of newspaper under the rubber matting, and the next day, when the car had been parked all night in the rain, I noticed the papers were soaking wet. So it could not have been the drain plug.

Then they said there was some sealant to be applied, which was duly done. Again I parked the car in the rain, and as before, newspapers were soaked.

The last time they kept the car for two whole days, and claim to have investigated it thoroughly. They said that the door rubber, the beading that is attached to the body of the car, had lifted away slightly and was leaking water in. They have re-fitted it, and I just brought the car home. I will post again on this thread to let you know if it was a correct diagnosis.

I must say that their service (Chowgule at Mapusa, Goa) has been very prompt, they have even offered to give me a standby vehicle while mine was in the garage. Apart from the first visit, I was not charged thereafter.

Last edited by filcord : 16th August 2008 at 21:26.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 20:13   #15
BHPian
 
vipul_singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BLR / Lucknow
Posts: 406
Thanked: 230 Times
Default

filcord: since you mention that the problem was not there in earlier monsoons, I would add my $.02.

Get the "AC Tray" *removed* and cleaned. It is used to collect water which enters through the ventilation slats near the wipers. Once the drain holes get blocked (which they say it is not)or even if the capacity of the tray is reduced (due to leaves), the water has nowhere to go except spill over into the cabin.

I had exactly the same issue with my Palio (huge pools of water under the rubber mats), bue the service center people fixed it by cleaning out the tray. Since then there has been no issues for the past two seasons, despite driving in the pouring rains.

I was charged Rs. 200 in labor for this.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 18th August 2008 at 20:15.
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swift 2011 Petrol - Water Seepage into the Engine jaaz Technical Stuff 3 18th March 2012 14:10
Water seepage problem on testdrive swift diesel .anshuman Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 21 20th July 2009 20:01
palio 1.2 nv 'pressure sensor error and water pump issue' kapilsharma80 Technical Stuff 5 17th September 2007 17:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks