Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th August 2008, 17:34   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post

I have called the GM helpline and they will visiting me shortly. I will keep the group posted
Any updates from GM people, Did you get a chance to take your vehicle to service center?
Do you have any interior cleaning to be done like carpet or something.
kavu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 18:09   #17
BHPian

Exclamation A mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
My Spark got stuck in water logging in yesterday's heavy rains, engine died when I was driving through "Headlight level" deep water. I was in first gear with half clutch but when I experienced a decrease in speed in the water, I slight took the foot of the accelerator and depressed it again, at then moment the engine died. With a bit more skill I should have made it through.
Vijay
Hey Vijay. You have already got the remedies from others.
Am just posting to let you know that while driving through logged water, you should not use the clutch at all.

Car should be steadily driven in 1st gear with the accelerator pressed but clutch should not be used while submerged in water. The clutch should not be even slightly pressed. Your foot should act like the clutch is off limits.

This is as when the clutch is pressed, the water gets a chance to enter. I think this was the cause of your problem.

This piece of info should help you in the future.
Hope your car is back to normal in a few days and you dont have to go through any more hassles.

Last edited by Xehaust : 18th August 2008 at 18:10.
Xehaust is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 18:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Xehaust what you mention is possible only when there is no traffic around you. In normal conditions when there is a lot of traffic on the road there is no options to do anything but to keep the clutch depressed .
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 18:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

@Xehaust - >>This is as when the clutch is pressed, the water gets a chance to enter.

Please clarify above statement, enter's where? and how?
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 18:45   #20
BHPian

@sammyboy - You are absolutely right. To prevent from stopping, we should keep a safe distance from the car ahead. This also helps as if the car ahead stalls, you can overtake from the side. Im sure we should keep distance in bad weather anyways even in full traffic.
But at the end, if for any reason, you come near the car ahead, then you have to stop just like you said. But that is the worst case scenario.

Another tip that might still help in such a situation as you mentioned is to change gears quickly to neutral and keep the accelerator slightly pressed once in neutral hence the clutch is in use for the minimum possible time period. Might just help from stalling.

@svsantosh - Water enters through the Exhaust. Why? Because when the clutch is pressed and you let go of the accelerator, the water gushes into the exhaust as the accelerator is not pressed and there is no pressure to stop the water from entering.
When the accelerator is pressed the exhaust gases trying to exit the exhaust stop the water from entering.

The exact reason as to what happens mechanically ill have to read up the article where i read it. Will post it when i find it.

Last edited by Xehaust : 18th August 2008 at 18:49.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 22:13   #21
BHPian

2 weeks ago hyderabad suffered torrential rains and many roads got flooded. my 5 year old Indica DLS fell victim too and the engine seized in half door height water!

but guess what??? the "repairs" came to just 730/- and just involved replacing a filter! the costliest spend was for towing it to the workshop (1500/-)!!!

Jiyo Tata!
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 18:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Question

I had a flooding situation yesterday due to flash floods in Chennai. As I learned from experience of others in the forum, I shifted to first and moved very slowly and waded through safely.

Today morning my clutch got stuck. I couldnt slot into any gear. Tried starting in gear couple of times and abandoned.
Called Maruti Onroad service and they reached in 2 hrs. They said the entire clutch assembly is damaged and entire overhaul costing 6K is required. Tried one more time in gear and eureka......the car surged forward. I assume the friction plates would have stuck due to water drops in the case. Maruti guys left sadly.

There was some water drops in the oil dipstick, so I rushed to the nearest MASS and replaced the engine oil after a flush. Gear and clutch is working fine. Do I need to check the clutch for damage?
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 18:52   #23
Team-BHP Support

Drive the car around for long, should be fine. If the symptoms crop up again then you need to tend to it.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 21:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Water enters through the Exhaust. Why? Because when the clutch is pressed and you let go of the accelerator, the water gushes into the exhaust as the accelerator is not pressed and there is no pressure to stop the water from entering.
When the accelerator is pressed the exhaust gases trying to exit the exhaust stop the water from entering.
You can press the clutch, as long as you dont release the accelerator.

The idea with keeping the accelerator pressed is to ensure that gasses are constantly flowing out of the exhaust pipe, to prevent water from entering the exhaust by going up the exhaust pipe.

Also, if water does get into your engine do not try to start the engine at all! If there is any water in any of the cylinders when you crank the engine you will suffer engine damage. Water is incompressible, whereas your engine will try to compress whatever is inside the cylinder (remember compression ratios are usually around 8... now see if you can compress a glass of water to 1/8 of its volume... not possible... something has to break... with your engine it will usually be the connecting rod or crankshaft).
theEnd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 23:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post

The idea with keeping the accelerator pressed is to ensure that gasses are constantly flowing out of the exhaust pipe, to prevent water from entering the exhaust by going up the exhaust pipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust (Chevy Spark got stuck in water logging. URGENT Help needed)
Water enters through the Exhaust. Why? Because when the clutch is pressed and you let go of the accelerator, the water gushes into the exhaust as the accelerator is not pressed and there is no pressure to stop the water from entering.
When the accelerator is pressed the exhaust gases trying to exit the exhaust stop the water from entering

I have clearly mentioned that when you press the clutch and LET GO of the accelerator. But in any case, ive read somewhere that pressing the clutch while in water will do some damage.

Have not had any personal experience as i stick to 1st gear without using the clutch while wading through water. So perhaps it may or may not help.
But i use this when im in water
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 13:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
[/i]

I have clearly mentioned that when you press the clutch and LET GO of the accelerator. But in any case, ive read somewhere that pressing the clutch while in water will do some damage.

Have not had any personal experience as i stick to 1st gear without using the clutch while wading through water. So perhaps it may or may not help.
But i use this when im in water
True Xehaust. Just wanted to make sure nobody runs into the back of my car next time I'm stuck in a flood!
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 13:27   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post

Also, if water does get into your engine do not try to start the engine at all! .
Exactly. However by the time one finds out that water has entered into the engine it is often too late.

In a flood your best bet is to keep the revs up and ensure that the nothing enters the exhaust. I have survived more than one flood including 26/7/05.

Keep an eye on the engine temp as well.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 14:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Exactly. However by the time one finds out that water has entered into the engine it is often too late.

In a flood your best bet is to keep the revs up and ensure that the nothing enters the exhaust. I have survived more than one flood including 26/7/05.

Keep an eye on the engine temp as well.
Yes i agree with you here navin and you have summed it up nicely with respect to the high rpm, half clutching or "slipping the clutch" is done in flood situation to keep the engine rpms high to maintain the pressure of exhaust gases.

Another rule i follow is to ensure that i do not wade into water any deeper than three fourths of my tyre height......

guys with CAIs and twisters need to be more careful here as monsoon is really a good time for water to start getting to those places where we dont want it ....

aahhhh all those guys with snorkels would be having a whale of a time ...
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 12:09   #29
BHPian

I think those who have posted earlier have summed it up pretty nicely. Let me also add to this with an experience of my colleague in Hyderabad.

He once had to drive into some deep water in his Opel Corsa during heavy showers, some time in 2006 I believe. He was doing fine, running in first gear at reasonably high engine rpms, when an APSRTC bus overtook him through the water, just as he reached midway (read deepest part) of the puddle. The huge waves created by the passing bus upset everything. He claims that his car actually floated (!) and I assume that as soon as the wheels left the ground, due to the reduced load the engine rpm shot up and in reflex he let his foot off the accelerator. And the engine stalled!

He pushed the car out of the puddle with the help of the passers by and tried to start it once. It wouldnt, and being an engineer he had some vague idea that further attempts might damage the engine, so he called the service guys. Can you believe it, they came and cranked the car again and again until the connecting rod broke. Finally they towed it to the service station and he was charged somewhere around 60K for the repairs. (Insurance paid close to 80% but he still had to shell out more than 10K. They replaced the cylinder block among other items!)

So yes, keep the accelerator pressed at all times, and dont take your foot off even for a moment. I do not know how well the average person like me would be able to do it, for example if the car in front brakes and comes to a halt, it will complicate matters. Taking your foot off the accelerator comes as a reflex which is difficult to control.
S.H.Shankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 10:31   #30
Team-BHP Support

How come there's no news from our thread starter?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote