Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th August 2008, 19:57   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post

i know i know!
You know one of my friends, on the forum as ankitahuja had a really funny but true fullform for IKON or FORD.
@Ankit if you could please share it with all

Dude I rightfully stated FORD stands for: Fix Or Repair Daily!

On the other hand, I was reading this thread to understand the possible causes for the knocking/jerking problem with my OHC, exactly as 1100D 's Ikon is facing.

I got the injectors and plugs cleaned, it maybe made no difference. I have yet to check the following as Jaggu said:

Plugs (yes they can fail even if its new) - Done
Plug wires/Caps - Plugs checked. Wires - Will do.
Coils - Hmmm, good idea, will check. How?
Fuel filer - Changed recently, does one still check this? How?
Injectors - Done
Throttle body - Last option since I feel it's not that.

How come no one is talking about the Fuel Pump? It's a possibility right, after all you can never be too sure of the quality of the fuel going in even if it's by your trusted bunk.

1100D - I also suggest Fuel Pump cleaning, trying to find a good (Jugaadu) garage to get that done myself.

Please keep this thread updated.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 22:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post

On the other hand, I was reading this thread to understand the possible causes for the knocking/jerking problem with my OHC, exactly as 1100D 's Ikon is facing.

I got the injectors and plugs cleaned, it maybe made no difference. I have yet to check the following as Jaggu said:

Plugs (yes they can fail even if its new) - Done
Plug wires/Caps - Plugs checked. Wires - Will do.
Injectors - Done

How come no one is talking about the Fuel Pump? It's a possibility right, after all you can never be too sure of the quality of the fuel going in even if it's by your trusted bunk.

1100D - I also suggest Fuel Pump cleaning, trying to find a good (Jugaadu) garage to get that done myself.

Car is still nder warranty. Jugadu garage work is not an option. However for the Ikon, Fuel Pump failure results in blowout of the ECM fuse. Last I knew (Since I had a recurring Fuel Pump issue years back) the fuse was in-spec.

Dad himself was talking about fuel quality.

The car and our family is safely back home after having a fantastic beach vacation (involving driving on the beach for about 7-8km stretches). Dad said, he can only give time to the car on Friday, thats quite far away. I am itching to get back home.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 23:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Most probably, ignition coil needs replacement. Standard Ikon problem.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 09:49   #19
BHPian

Quote:

The plug wires will lead you to the ignition coil, disconnect each one of them one after another and while the engine is running bring them close to the coil opening/holder and you should see a strong spark/the same way you check the spark to the plugs.

Quote:

Its good to get it changed at 5000kms intervals. Get it done at the workshop.

Quote:
Cleaning it is always good and with the air-filter you are running, you should do it regularly.

But the other day when you got the injectors cleaned you said the car was running good, has the knocking crept in again?
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 10:59   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[/b]

The plug wires will lead you to the ignition coil, disconnect each one of them one after another and while the engine is running bring them close to the coil opening/holder and you should see a strong spark/the same way you check the spark to the plugs.
I wouldnt do this, for fear of an electric shock as well as a burnt coil. This is the primitive method.

Suggest you take it to a A.S.S and get it done using a proper diagnostic equipment.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 11:22   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Anirban - the IKON's ignition coil is an extremely unreliable part and just pops off at the most unexpected times. No point complaining, the guys who call the shots don't ever come out of meeting rooms anyways and have the dealer guys as fronts for whom less said the better (believe me, I know, it's the same everywhere). I have myself changed 2 coils in a 1.3OHC car of my friend. The symptoms start as you mention and gradually the car won't accelerate above 40 kmph and it will deliver 2 kmpl. The worst part is the price and availability of a genuine part. Be careful. Also as you have replaced the spark plugs, can you CONFIRM that you are on OE specification plugs? The coil is very sensitive to "plug experiments".

Another thing about the IKON - be careful about coolant loss through the intake manifold seal. It is a flimsy part which gets affected by rust in the coolant. Replacement is costly.

HaHaHa no such problems in our Padminis naa? THANK GOD! TUSSI GREAT HO!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 12:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I wouldnt do this, for fear of an electric shock as well as a burnt coil. This is the primitive method.

Suggest you take it to a A.S.S and get it done using a proper diagnostic equipment.

Oh! Was just suggesting a DIY technique and forgot to mention that precaution needs to be taken else your facial expression would be similar to this -->
Old 20th August 2008, 01:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Its good to get it changed at 5000kms intervals. Get it done at the workshop.

Are you sure? I thought it would last much much longer. Also, the OHC's fuel filter is located under the hood, last time I had it changed (first time in 10 years ), it was quite a task to pack the seals of the fuel pipe into it, so I'm kind of skeptical to go through this deed at intervals of 5000 kms.

Quote:
Cleaning it is always good and with the air-filter you are running, you should do it regularly.

Point taken, I agree!
Quote:
But the other day when you got the injectors cleaned you said the car was running good, has the knocking crept in again?
The amount of jerking the car had (after the body wash) was terrible that time since it refused to go over 20 kmph, what I meant was that the excessive jerking stopped in a few minutes after the water dried, but the initial jerking still exists :(

I'm going to get a check up done this weekend and re-post.

Last edited by ankitahuja : 20th August 2008 at 01:37.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Somehow i am not surprised that someone else is also having problems with the acceleration and power lag in FORD ikon.

We are all sailing in the boat FORD which is not really sailing over calm waters.
ANd someone rightly says there is no money left for MODDING when all is directed towards the MAINTENANCE. haha..thats bang on right!
babe_on_wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 16:44   #25
BHPian

This reminds me; My boss had a Ford 1.6. It was quite a car in its times. He covered nearly over 100000kms in it, and the amount of money he spent for its upkeep was phenomenal.

Surprisingly, he too called it Fix Or Repair Daily
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 15:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Are you sure? I thought it would last much much longer. Also, the OHC's fuel filter is located under the hood, last time I had it changed (first time in 10 years ), it was quite a task to pack the seals of the fuel pipe into it, so I'm kind of skeptical to go through this deed at intervals of 5000 kms.
Are you sure you're talking about the fuel filter here??? You changed the fuel filter in 10YEARS . At Ford they do it on every service, does'nt cost a bomb aswell. I think its the same with all cars!!
Old 23rd August 2008, 16:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure you're talking about the fuel filter here??? You changed the fuel filter in 10YEARS . At Ford they do it on every service, does'nt cost a bomb aswell. I think its the same with all cars!!
Going OT here but yes, I am talking about the fuel filter, changed in 10 years . It does not cost much for the OHC I agree but like I said, the pipes when re-fitted, were leaking. Was a pain to seal them up.

Any news on the Ikon problem 1100D?

Last edited by ankitahuja : 23rd August 2008 at 16:48.
Old 23rd August 2008, 23:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

The problem was diagonosed to be, as anticipated, the ignition coil. My Father had asked for performing an engine scan, checking the spark plugs as well as inspecting the ignition system wires using the multimeter.

But my father could not afford the luxury of overseeing the job while it is being done. He has to trust them when they said they did it. Problem seems to be resolved for the moment. But not before a lot of drama on whether the car is still under extended warranty or not. My father had all the evidences and the car being procured on the 10th of Sep 2004 and we have the receipt of having the 4th year extended warranty, it was a no brainer. But having to argue, even if one wins the debate, puts a bitter feeling.

On the way back Dad turned on the AC to find that its not working. He is sure it was working on the way to the workshop. He says he was also suspecting something when he found the service advisor fiddling with the AC button. He called them back, tomorrow being a Sunday, and that Bengal being fortunate enough to see a Bangla Bandh in the week, the service center is open.

However, according to my father, it does not look like the symptoms that we observed whenever another of the infamous Ikon parts, the diverter valve, failed. This time, it is just failing to cool. Looks like a courtesy visit to the workshop will easily find the culprit, which I guess is artificially created.

But there goes his Sunday.

And we blame Tata for all things.

Last edited by 1100D : 23rd August 2008 at 23:51.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 19:03   #29
BHPian

isn't there some jugaad option for the ignition coil which will run more reliably?
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 05:23   #30
BHPian

Default Engine knocking, hesitation and performance issues

Hi!

I've got a 7 year old used Xing.
Have run it in for a year now and have been maintaining it as required. Oil changes at every 5-6K.
One fine day I was pretty low on fuel and drove it around before I got to the filling station. I heard the knocking distinctly that day. Perhaps I was extra alert
It's run 75K total, 15K with me during the last year. Chandigarh traffic and highways.
Fuel top-ups are from one trusted BP pump.

The car has problems with performance ( nothing major, mostly cold start) and there's a mild knocking sound in anything from the second to the fifth gear. It's barely present at coasting speeds.. just clear and distinct ( sounds like water boiling in a covered vessel) when I hit the accelerator . This is present at 10 ~ >100KMPH

Mileage is about 17KMPL and I push pedal to metal most of the time and drive highways and city.

Now problems as under:
  1. HESITATION: Ever since last winter, the engine has been hesitating during a cold start. It lurches forward as if there's no power delivery and miraculously re-gains consciousness a second later. This is regardless of gear (1st-3rd)
    Surprisingly this has continued into the summers.
  2. KNOCKING: The engine has reduced in performance. I've swapped out some parts mentioned here.. but this has not fixed the issue.
    • Swapped spark plugs at purchase a year and 15K back, and now.
    • Swapped plug wires - didn't work

Thing I have on my mind:
  • Should I get the timing belt changed to address the knocking? was planning it for 90K. But then it is 7 years old afterall.
  • Local trusted mech says it's first the spark plugs, then the timing belt, and then the cylinder head (gaskets) that need changing if the knocking persists.
  • If I have to get the cylinders opened, I have no idea what this is going to cost me. Should I get manual decarbonization done while everything's opened and gaskets are being changed?
  • Should I de-carbonize ( manually) and get the throttle assembly cleaned?
  • Perhaps that day when I was on reserve fuel some guck made it into the fuel assembly? Should I change the oil filter?

Besides that I haven't had the coolant, brake oil, transmission oil, gearbox grease or any bearings changed. Can't say what the previous owned did in his 6 years/ 60K.

Should I go to HASS for a consult? I wonder what they won't sell. My mech says they'll beat about the bush and this knocking is insignificant.

Should I wait till I have a blown engine or am I overdoing it?
wooka is offline   Reply With Quote