Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th August 2008, 12:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
Its because, My vehicle used to stay in the workshop than with me
I was asking Hemanth,buddy. I have a 200,000 km run Sumo .But, the engine's been rebuilt.
Im zapped at the thought of a 1.75 lakh km run TCIC safari engine which still delivers decent FE because a 90bhp engine hauling a 2+ TON behemoth is usually strained at its job.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 12:31   #17
BHPian

Regular oil and filter changes for every 7K kms, normal mineral oil at the *** of TATA. Tyres have lasted for an average of 40K Kms. Every time it is Bridgestone tubeless. Got the steering column changed once. Wheel bearings of all wheels were changed as per the recommendations of ***. Battery replaced twice since it went dead. The beast was mostly driven in highways across karnataka. In the course of 6 years we had one driver who had abused the vehicle to a large extent.
More to come.
Hemanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 12:46   #18
BHPian

Default Sorry

Quote:
I was asking Hemanth,buddy.
Over-reacted myself!
ibm_jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 12:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1.75 lakhs on the original engine is phenomenal, and says a lot about the robustness of Tata diesels if maintained well.
I was betting on my engine going past 200k without a rebuild, but I'm not sure how much of an impact the tuning box will have on its longevity.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 13:08   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Steer, you planning to hold on the Dicor till then ?!

Come to think of it, the parentage of your Dicor's engine in it's stock form should help make that a winning bet.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 13:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Steer, you planning to hold on the Dicor till then ?!
Yeah man - no point selling it as resale prices for the 3.0 have dived after the 2.2 was announced.

Maybe I'll keep it as a pure off-road / fun vehicle. Wont lose anything by keeping it, will I?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 13:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
Regular oil and filter changes for every 7K kms, normal mineral oil at the *** of TATA. Tyres have lasted for an average of 40K Kms. Every time it is Bridgestone tubeless. Got the steering column changed once. Wheel bearings of all wheels were changed as per the recommendations of ***. Battery replaced twice since it went dead. The beast was mostly driven in highways across karnataka. In the course of 6 years we had one driver who had abused the vehicle to a large extent.
More to come.
Thanks for the info,hemanth.
U've owned your Safari since new?
Why did you need steering olumn change?
@Steer: Your safari runs on synthetic or regular? how is your maintenance schedule?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 14:11   #23
BHPian

I bought the beast when it has clocked 19K kms in 2002 end. To be very frank we never had much of the problems since the day we bought it. The driving pleasure made us overlook all the minor niggles.Now i am planning ot redo the interiors and paint the vehicle. BTW I upgraded from a Sierra.

I had to change the sterring column since there was lot of play.in the steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1.75 lakhs on the original engine is phenomenal, and says a lot about the robustness of Tata diesels if maintained well. Also, that mileage has been covered over a period of only 6 years....nearly 30,000 p.a.!! Do share your maintenance schedules with us. I'd also recommend a compression test to ensure that its in top shape right now. Remember, rejuvenating a working engine is far simpler / cheaper than a busted one.
Where should i get the compression test done?

Last edited by GTO : 20th August 2008 at 18:30. Reason: Please post all your content together, instead of submitting one message right after another
Hemanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 18:32   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
Where should i get the compression test done?
Best to get it done from an authorised Tata shop itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I was betting on my engine going past 200k without a rebuild, but I'm not sure how much of an impact the tuning box will have on its longevity.
Your engine is based on the 407's, which is known to last upto 250 - 300k. I don't see why not.

Tuning box....well, not really sure how much but it will surely have an impact on engine durability.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 21:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

My Safari has done 67K till date without any problem. I had to change the PS pump due to the negligence of the ASC, due to which I stopped going to any ASC. I get a FE of 10kmpl within the city with AC on and around 12kmpl on the highway.

Safari is regularly serviced at every 5k kms and the engine oil used is Mobil Delvac MX.

Presently the 4x4 electrical system is malfunctioning. Both the indicators, 4H & 4L light up on the dashboard when the ignition key is turned on. Have presently removed its fuse. Will take for check-up shortly when I get time.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 22:15   #26
BHPian

1998 safari, but only 67k! Better than me?
ibm_jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 09:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

When this came into my stable, I already had a Maruti1000 & an Esteem. They were the ones that were used very regularly and this truck used to come out once in a while and mostly on highways. Incidentally both the Marutis clocked over 1.2L kms without any trouble and change of parts, before they were sent off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
1998 safari, but only 67k! Better than me?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 18:59   #28
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Tata Safari 150K kms

For your information - This may help this forum thread:
Hi, my Tata Safari 2001 has completed about 150,000 Kms. Have owned it since new. Had got submerged in the floods in Mumbai in 2005. Used it extensively for 6 years. Still use it about 1K kms a month.
Always used Castro RX Super Plus 15W 40.
Got engine top half work done by a local mechanic (whom I know since very long) at about 140,000 Kms The timing belt plus fan plus ... etc had given way on the highway within mumbai. So had to get the engine work done. Had cost about Rs. 25K. (The engine was anyways giving black smoke already.)
Used to go to authorized centre till the flooring at about 80,000 kms then always went to a local mechanic.
Pete informed that they do NOT have anything to boost power up for the Safari 2Lts model. Anyone who thinks otherwise through having used another solution do let me know.
Car is a gem, but likes the mechanic, tyres always lasted 40-60K kms- Bridgestone Tubeless.
Currently the Safari emits less smoke than when new.
Driver gets 11 on the highway - Bombay - Ahmedabad
I get 10 is I drive like the driver(gear shift up below 2500 rpm), and 8.5 is I drive like myself (gear shift up at 3000+ rpms)
In city effeciency can drop to 7. Had got 9 with similar driving when the Safari was new.
Have a habit of taking the car upto 3000 rpm before shifting up.

To compare: Have found this unrefined diesel engine to be MORE ROBUST THAN THAT OF MY SKODA LAURA which has already gone through a Turbo and Intercooler (luckly under warranty) and AC Compressor & ac fan belt change (Both unfortunately at my cost after warranty),
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 07:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

I just bought a 99 SAFARI. It shows 85,000 on the odometer, and everyone from the TASS Mechanics to the self proclaimed auto experts who have seen the car say that the engine is good.

My question is, how do I make out if the engine has been rebuilt? Are there any tell tale signs I can look for, like nuts which show wear and tear and stuff like that.
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 09:15   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
My question is, how do I make out if the engine has been rebuilt? Are there any tell tale signs I can look for, like nuts which show wear and tear and stuff like that.
You can look closely at the nuts and bolts of engine (header and gearbox) and they have yello / green paint. If the paint is broken then the engine was redone because there is no need to open those big bolts unless engine work is needed.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote