Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2016, 17:56   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,606
Thanked: 916 Times
Default Re: Alternator rip-off for Chevy Spark? Help please.

can't alternators be overhauled ? At least for my indica, i got it done for 3.5K
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 23:19   #92
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 39
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Alternator rip-off for Chevy Spark? Help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Please contact Arun : 85.80.020056 , mention my name (Dhanush). He is the Bosch Wholesale Dealer in Wayanad. He can also ship the products to where ever you need. I'm sure you can sort this out for 1/3rd the cost.
Thanks a ton Dhanush! But shouldn't I try at the local Bosch facility/dealership first?
curios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:50   #93
BHPian
 
Visaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 573
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: Alternator rip-off for Chevy Spark? Help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curios View Post
Did you finally get the alternator replaced or repaired? How much did it cost? I'm faced with a similar situation for my Spark and being quoted Rs 14.5K for a new one.
Alternator is something I suggest you buy a new one than waste time on repairing a old one. I bought a bosch alternator for 8-9K does the job amazingly. Speak to a neighborhood mechanic or Bosch service center. ( we have a lot of them in Chennai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curios View Post
Hi, I've just been asked to fork out Rs 14,500 for a new alternator for my Spark (2009). The battery has also conked off. Can Team BHP experts please suggest if any companies like Bosch make these and at lower cost?
Ofcourse change the battery after checking its worthy with the new alternator.
Alternator and battery are the brain for the car, you should be ready to sort it out permanently.
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 18:58   #94
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 39
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Alternator rip-off for Chevy Spark? Help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Please contact Arun : 85.80.020056 , mention my name (Dhanush). He is the Bosch Wholesale Dealer in Wayanad. He can also ship the products to where ever you need. I'm sure you can sort this out for 1/3rd the cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
can't alternators be overhauled ? At least for my indica, i got it done for 3.5K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Alternator is something I suggest you buy a new one than waste time on repairing a old one. I bought a bosch alternator for 8-9K does the job amazingly. Speak to a neighborhood mechanic or Bosch service center. ( we have a lot of them in Chennai)

Ofcourse change the battery after checking its worthy with the new alternator.
Alternator and battery are the brain for the car, you should be ready to sort it out permanently.
Update. Managed to reach a Lucas authorised (and recommended) service dealer. Lucas is the OEM supplier to Chevrolet. New alternator comes for around 9K. Service centre says it can be repaired within 3.5K range. Seriously considering the repair option since I assume they're a company trained set-up. Good idea?
curios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:21   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,606
Thanked: 916 Times
Default Re: Alternator rip-off for Chevy Spark? Help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curios View Post
Update. Managed to reach a Lucas authorised (and recommended) service dealer. Lucas is the OEM supplier to Chevrolet. New alternator comes for around 9K. Service centre says it can be repaired within 3.5K range. Seriously considering the repair option since I assume they're a company trained set-up. Good idea?
It's a no brainer - why replace when you can repair it for a fraction of the cost - the alternator is a serviceable item, and if its a lucas tvs alternator, their workshops should be just fine - usually the problem is with the voltage regulator, which is replaced, along with some mechanical bits which need to be replaced as the older parts cannot be reused.
check with them on the warranty period for the overhauled item - usually it should be 6 months (same as a new replacement part)

Last edited by greenhorn : 22nd February 2016 at 19:24.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 02:50   #96
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 39
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Alternator rip-off for Chevy Spark? Help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
It's a no brainer - why replace when you can repair it for a fraction of the cost - the alternator is a serviceable item, and if its a lucas tvs alternator, their workshops should be just fine - usually the problem is with the voltage regulator, which is replaced, along with some mechanical bits which need to be replaced as the older parts cannot be reused.
check with them on the warranty period for the overhauled item - usually it should be 6 months (same as a new replacement part)
Got the rotor wiring repaired in the alternator from the Lucas auth centre for Rs 2.6K and a 3-month warranty. Now, don't know whether it's my imagination but the sounds/noises coming from under the bonnet seem weird compared to before. Seem not as smooth as before.

What's likely to have been the issue here? Deep down I've been a Chevrolet service loyalist despite the massive billings they've extracted out of me. Being my first outside foray, worried if the job was done well. Questions like was the alternator belt doing fine now, come to mind. What should I do to address my concerns?
curios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 14:29   #97
BHPian
 
Visaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 573
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: Battery / Alternator / Voltage Regulator problem?

The piece of mind of replacing an old electrical part which failed to repairing it is poles apart. But most of the times it does the job. Take it to the authorized service center and ask them whether all is ok.
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 16:11   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,555
Thanked: 1,164 Times
Default Re: Battery / Alternator / Voltage Regulator problem?

The alternator in our i20 started making kat-kat-kat noise last november. Sounded like a bearing noise. New one costs 23K. So got it repaired for 9.5K. Pulley, couple of bearings and regulator were replaced. Working fine till now
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 13:18   #99
AYP
BHPian
 
AYP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 206
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Battery / Alternator / Voltage Regulator problem?

Hi everyone. I own the 1.4 petrol Fiesta zxi 2007 model.

Two weeks back, the battery icon appeared on the MID. I went away on its own but came back the very next day. When I was driving that night, the music system shut down on its own. I stopped the car and tried to restart the car but the car didn't start and I could hear a kat-kat sound coming from the engine while I was cranking it. However, the interior lights and the remote locking/unlocking was working well. The next day, I tried cranking the engine again and it started. However, the music system was not working. The power windows and the wipers were working extremely slow and as soon as I tried to switch on my headlights, the interior lights went kaput. They came back on after I switched off the headlight. The horn was also sounding weak. After switching off the car, it did not start again and I had to call for towing. The diagnosis guy told me that the battery is fine and the problem is with the starter motor and the burnt wiring.

The SA told me that it was an issue with the alternator as well as a burnt wiring. We just replaced the wiring and got the car back. The issue went away for two days but the battery light came back yesterday and the it is the same problem all over again.

What do you guys think is the problem? Is it the alternator only or is there some other issue I should be vary of? How much will the alternator of a Fiesta cost?
AYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 15:34   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,464
Thanked: 504 Times
Default Re: Battery / Alternator / Voltage Regulator problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The diagnosis guy told me that the battery is fine and the problem is with the starter motor and the burnt wiring.
How did he arrive at that conclusion? It could have been a faulty starter relay too.

Quote:
The SA told me that it was an issue with the alternator as well as a burnt wiring.
Which is precisely why I suggest you get the alternator tested at another facility. Burnt wiring is a serious issue and can cause fire hazards. Did he say which wires were burnt and why? Fuses exist to prevent such a scenario. So why didn't the fuses blow?

Take it to a battery shop and have them test the alternator and battery under load. Most good shops have the equipment to perform such tests.

Quote:
How much will the alternator of a Fiesta cost?
Even if it is the alternator, look at having it repaired before you consider replacing it. Repairs will be a fraction of the cost of replacement.
R2D2 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 06:29   #101
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 45
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Battery / Alternator / Voltage Regulator problem?

Hi,

I have a 1.5 year old alto 800 which has done 31000 kms. Yesterday the car failed to start inside the parking lot of a mall in Ghatkopar and all the lights on the MID were flickering. Called up Maruti assistance and a guy came within 10 minutes. He charged the battery and the car started.

However when i was returning home there were instances of flickering on the MID with all the lights flickering and the car lost power during those times.

What can be the possible reason for this? Shall I continue driving this or get this checked at MASS?
subhro1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 11:19   #102
BHPian
 
glenmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 294
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: Battery / Alternator / Voltage Regulator problem?

I noticed the cabin and headlights of my 2011 Fiesta Diesel flickering. On racing the engine a bit, it went off, but while idling, the flickering returned. When I noticed this initially, I was on main beam; when I switched to high beam, the vehicle went off. I restarted the car, it has been alright. The flickering of the light remains.
The battery is about an year old, Amaron. Could be it a problem with the alternator / battery / loose wires?
glenmz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 16:15   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,659
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: Battery / Alternator / Voltage Regulator problem?

Does the flickering occur when the engine is off?

If the problem is seen only when the engine is on , it has to be the alternator.

An easy way to check would be to hook up a multimeter to the battery and see if the voltage fluctuates when the car is at idle. If the engine is raced and the flickering stops , then please have your alternator serviced.

You could just check all connections/main fuses , especially the main wiring coupler at the alternator.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 01:52   #104
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 39
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Alternator rip-off for Chevy Spark? Help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curios View Post
Got the rotor wiring repaired in the alternator from the Lucas auth centre for Rs 2.6K and a 3-month warranty. Now, don't know whether it's my imagination but the sounds/noises coming from under the bonnet seem weird compared to before. Seem not as smooth as before.

What's likely to have been the issue here? Deep down I've been a Chevrolet service loyalist despite the massive billings they've extracted out of me. Being my first outside foray, worried if the job was done well. Questions like was the alternator belt doing fine now, come to mind. What should I do to address my concerns?
Here's a happy update for those facing alternator problems. Mine is working fine even a year down the line (the noises were my imagination, after all) and the Amaron battery has lasted longer than I had expected and still going strong. Thanks to all who helped me with a smarter solution
curios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 14:13   #105
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 150
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Battery / Alternator / Voltage Regulator problem?

Hi, my uncle has a Quanto with frequent breakdowns, he also insists getting it "serviced" with roadside mechanics every time, possibly leading to more frequent issues because of incompetence/no preventive checks.. latest issue is a constantly on battery light (battery is new) and slowly discharging battery, possibly an alternator issue.

I jump started it once but the light never went off and the battery didn't gather any charge by the looks of it. Any idea how much does the alternator cost to repair/replace for that car?

EDIT: Both his car's headlamps had also blown last year.

Last edited by eternalck : 5th February 2017 at 14:20. Reason: Additional details
eternalck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
D.I.Y. Weekend Project: Car Battery Voltage Monitor ghpk DIY - Do it yourself 2 26th May 2015 12:50
Battery / Alternator problem in Ambassador Diesel adrian Technical Stuff 5 11th December 2009 14:25
Alternator Dependency: Will a vehicle run with the battery disconnected? anupmathur Technical Stuff 252 30th June 2009 14:13
Tata Indica alternator voltage query tsk1979 Technical Stuff 5 9th December 2006 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks