Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th April 2017, 20:40   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Battery / Alternator / Voltage Regulator problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Does the flickering occur when the engine is off?

If the problem is seen only when the engine is on , it has to be the alternator.

An easy way to check would be to hook up a multimeter to the battery and see if the voltage fluctuates when the car is at idle. If the engine is raced and the flickering stops , then please have your alternator serviced.

You could just check all connections/main fuses , especially the main wiring coupler at the alternator.
An update on this. I had driven home last week. While driving at Cochin, I suddenly lost the power steering assistance and the battery sign lit up on the dash. Luckily I was at the vicinity of the service center. The issue was with the alternator pulley. The dampener pulley was changed along. The SA thinks that the flickering would be a related symptom.
glenmz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 16:50   #107
BHPian

cross-posting for reference of colleagues: Link (Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS):-Spacious, Feature-Packed, 8-Seater, Head-Turner Beast is Here) : Xylo voltage regulator - repaired & replaced !
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 16:56   #108
BHPian

Hi Folks,
Lately I have noticed that although my Alto LXi runs fine in daytime. No starting problem, good horn sound, etc. , during night when I switch on the lights, there is a whining sound from the alternator and for slightly longer distances some heat fumes are coming from the bonnet. The alternator is too hot to touch. Have checked the battery-no problem there. Voltages during idling and off is within limits also. Any insights? Could the alternator be failing even though it generating correct voltages.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017, 10:23   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
Hi Folks,
Lately I have noticed that although my Alto LXi runs fine in daytime. No starting problem, good horn sound, etc. , during night when I switch on the lights, there is a whining sound from the alternator and for slightly longer distances some heat fumes are coming from the bonnet. The alternator is too hot to touch. Have checked the battery-no problem there. Voltages during idling and off is within limits also. Any insights? Could the alternator be failing even though it generating correct voltages.
Check the Alternator belt. Some workshops intentionally tighten the alternator belt to get future repairs, you may wish to check this as well.
jinojohnt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2018, 21:36   #110
Senior - BHPian

The alternator in my 10 year old, 1 lakh 58 thousand Swift Diesel conked of yesterday, the battery light was on and the voltage was 12.27 while the car was on, it should show 14 and upwards but not more than 14.4 V

The Denso one which my car has costs a whooping 14700 for replacement, NO way in hell am I going to buy such an expensive part, so the second option was overhaul, which costs 3500 rupees but remove and refitting charges that the Maruti guy will take, gave Ravi Automobiles the go ahead and now the work is being done.

The alternator lasted long but 14700 for a new alternator for a Maruti Swift is just ridiculous pricing. When an entire clutch kit with bearings costs less than 10 thousand rupees, when an AC compressor costs 11 thousand rupees, WHY should an alternator cost this much?

Nahi baba nahi, I am getting it overhauled, since a month or so, the car is sucking the life out of my bank balance, now she will get things fixed whenever it's possible then replaced.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote