Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th September 2013, 16:43   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Your car looks in good shape indeed. Check if your car requires a gear oil/ transmission fluid change. Consider it if not changed in last 30K kms. or so. Also consider the time of last change. Go for it if changed more than 3-4 years ago.
How old are your tyres in terms of Kms? Looks like a lot of thread is still there, hence IMO you should stick to them as of now. Spend the money on wheel balancing and alignment, preferably at an independent tyre shop.
If the brake fluid & coolant is not changed in the last 3 years, consider complete change (& not just a top up).
Replace the air filter if its over 6K kms, else blow clean it. Check spark plug deposits & re-gap them if necessary. Throttle body cleaning may be considered esp. if your drives are in dusty areas & was last cleaned over 5K kms.

Regards,
Saket
Thanks Saket. Gear oil was changed last year and checked a month back. Its there as good as new. Tyres are about 15k old, so yes, they have a lot of life left. Wheel Balancing and Alignment done 2-3 months back. Brake oil changed last year and Coolant early this year. Air Filter is over 6k maybe so will change it. Spark Plugs changed last month. I use System G so I don't know if it is required to have the Throttle Body cleaned but can get it done for sure.
Altocumulus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 16:50   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Thanks Saket. Gear oil was changed last year and checked a month back. Its there as good as new. Tyres are about 15k old, so yes, they have a lot of life left. Wheel Balancing and Alignment done 2-3 months back. Brake oil changed last year and Coolant early this year. Air Filter is over 6k maybe so will change it. Spark Plugs changed last month. I use System G so I don't know if it is required to have the Throttle Body cleaned but can get it done for sure.
You are surely taking good care of her. I am sure that going this way, you car would last much longer than what you intend it to. Esteem is a fantastic car, though newer cars have the spotlight on them now, but nonetheless, it is a very reliable & spirited performer. Just take care of the body rattles (typical Maruti) and everything else is very Japanese on it.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 11:23   #153
Senior - BHPian

Didn't follow the entire thread but here's my experience with fog light - both local and original broke soon and I don't see any value in them in any case except cosmetic. I think there is some design defect in them and it's not worth wasting one's money on. So I just have a pair of broken fog lamps there and I don't want to replace them. Cosmetics of a daily drive car in Calcutta are a useless idea to me.
Regarding longevity of the Esteem - I am driving it for 1.20 lakh km now. It is in its 8th year. It has never let me down on the road for any mechanical defect. I have never allowed any non-Maruti mechanic touch it and no one except me has ever driven it so far. And I have always gone to one workshop where one mechanic has worked on it. It still is my daily drive. I used to use Mobil 1. Now switched back to Castrol as I don't see me owning this car for too long.
Its body is gradually giving way through rusts. One of the wiper washer nozzles on the bonnet developed some rust around it and has now gone inside. The front automatic window on both sides is often a pain to operate properly. It has been a constant niggle from day one. I am told this is a problem with most Esteems. I have lived with it. As of now it is working fine for several months.
If Esteem was still available I would buy it with my eyes closed - for its boot space and general convenience. But keeping the Esteem is going to get more and more difficult. Car manufacturers stop supporting a brand with spares beyond 5 years of its discontinuation. Already getting some parts I am told is quite time consuming - particularly bulbs and such things. Most other parts have become pretty expensive now.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 11:47   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Regarding longevity of the Esteem - I am driving it for 1.20 lakh km now. It is in its 8th year. It has never let me down on the road for any mechanical defect.
We bought one in 1996 used it for 98,000 km over 11 years and finally sold it in 2007. Drove it to Vizag and back during the Puja holidays in 2005 in it's 9th year - our last long trip in that car. Never ever had any major issues during our ownership period. I still have many fond memories of the car.
Babuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 17:31   #155
BHPian

The following are the work done on my car last week:

1. Timing, Ac and Fan Belts changed
2. Rear brake cylinders and shoes changed
3. Front bearings changed
4. Front brake serviced
5. Steering overhauled

Total cost including labor was 11000/-

Not much of a difference in ride or feel though.
Old 18th September 2013, 19:35   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The following are the work done on my car last week:

1. Timing, Ac and Fan Belts changed
2. Rear brake cylinders and shoes changed
3. Front bearings changed
4. Front brake serviced
5. Steering overhauled

Total cost including labor was 11000/-

Not much of a difference in ride or feel though.
Not to worry, as none of these jobs are related to either Feel (Engine) or Ride (Suspension)
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 19:45   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Not to worry, as none of these jobs are related to either Feel (Engine) or Ride (Suspension)
Absolutely That's why the smiley.

However I want to do something about the ride. Confused between new XM2's or new Koni Reds. Its currently running on Bridgestone S322 175/70/13 with stock suspension.

A very close friend of mine just said no for Koni's as its too stiff and not meant for street cars. He asked me to change the oil of the dampers to make the ride better. I am thinking of experimenting with that.
Old 18th September 2013, 20:01   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car at the moment :
It looks great

I would suggest you to install wheel covers. That will enhance the aesthetics of the car.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 20:09   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
It looks great

I would suggest you to install wheel covers. That will enhance the aesthetics of the car.
Thanks Bluevolt.

I am not a believer in wheel covers actually, specially in monsoons since all the dirt and mud gets accumulated within it. Also though its not that visible in the pics, I have painted the rims matt black with a can of Bosny Spray paint and then put a thin strip of red radium sticker across the lips of the rim. It looks cool that way me think.
Altocumulus is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 13:21   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Thanks for the contact Altocumulus.
I just got a call from Machino that you went there and was redirected to Daga. Machino is going through a major renovation so parts availability is a bit poor now. See if Daga can get it sorted, else you can check Unitech Automobile in Sector V. They are not an A.S.S but a Castrol Pitstop. We do get some of our work done there and results are good.
Old 8th October 2013, 21:47   #161
BHPian

Quote:
I just got a call from Machino that you went there and was redirected to Daga. Machino is going through a major renovation so parts availability is a bit poor now. See if Daga can get it sorted, else you can check Unitech Automobile in Sector V. They are not an A.S.S but a Castrol Pitstop. We do get some of our work done there and results are good.
Hey altocumulus thanks for refering karda.i must say he is very honest in his approach and after listening to our issues he directly told us this being puja month they cant deliver the vehicle immediately and also availability of spares will be an issue as they are undergoing renovation.he gave us daga's reference and personally spoke to anurag daga talking about us.anyhow daga was not of much help as he only works on ac units.so we went to the MGP dealer in bhowanipore and bought a clutch cable from there.i also found the thermal sensor which unfortunately is mentioned as water sensor under esteem mpfi spares cataloge rather than a coolant sensor.we asked them where we could get the cable fixed.they were very amused and qurious as to how i know so much about esteem spares as i had zeroed in on the sensor before they did while going through the spares catalog.when i told them our story they told us that they have heard similar experiences before as well.
any ways we bought the clutch cable but did not buy the thermal sensor as they told us that the same is used in a. Alto so we were a little doubtful about the part no, still we made a note of the sensor part no and price.we headed off to russa service near purna.frankly speaking i was more than frustrated and desparate after the entire day and till this point had only had one meal which was my breakfast.i drove into russa and asked if someone could fix a clutch cable for me.theit owner walked up and asked what the problem was.i told him the entire thing and at first he told me little knowledge can be dangerous but latter when i took him through my entire research and duagnosis he helped us by asking the mechs to comply to my directions.so end results after cable change clutch is as light as a feather and they replaced the thermal sensor and fan running has also balanced out.on showing them the old plats they also concurres that auto hitech had changed the plates for no reason.
thanks sugato for the contacts.
adneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 10:41   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Hey altocumulus thanks for refering karda.i must say he is very honest in his approach and after listening to our issues he directly told us this being puja month they cant deliver the vehicle immediately and also availability of spares will be an issue as they are undergoing renovation.he gave us daga's reference and personally spoke to anurag daga talking about us.anyhow daga was not of much help as he only works on ac units.so we went to the MGP dealer in bhowanipore and bought a clutch cable from there.i also found the thermal sensor which unfortunately is mentioned as water sensor under esteem mpfi spares cataloge rather than a coolant sensor.we asked them where we could get the cable fixed.they were very amused and qurious as to how i know so much about esteem spares as i had zeroed in on the sensor before they did while going through the spares catalog.when i told them our story they told us that they have heard similar experiences before as well.
any ways we bought the clutch cable but did not buy the thermal sensor as they told us that the same is used in a. Alto so we were a little doubtful about the part no, still we made a note of the sensor part no and price.we headed off to russa service near purna.frankly speaking i was more than frustrated and desparate after the entire day and till this point had only had one meal which was my breakfast.i drove into russa and asked if someone could fix a clutch cable for me.theit owner walked up and asked what the problem was.i told him the entire thing and at first he told me little knowledge can be dangerous but latter when i took him through my entire research and duagnosis he helped us by asking the mechs to comply to my directions.so end results after cable change clutch is as light as a feather and they replaced the thermal sensor and fan running has also balanced out.on showing them the old plats they also concurres that auto hitech had changed the plates for no reason.
thanks sugato for the contacts.
Great. Good to hear that all your issues are sorted.

And Happy Pujas

Last edited by Altocumulus : 9th October 2013 at 10:42.
Old 9th October 2013, 11:14   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Great. Good to hear that all your issues are sorted.

And Happy Pujas
Thanks man.Only the AC needs to be fixed now.Will try to get it done post pujas as its a time consuming task.
Happy Pujas to you as well.
adneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 16:07   #164
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

Off late our esteem has been spitting out a lot of black carbon from the exhaust. Also Black smoke comes out on hard acceleration.
Oil levels remain steady. No major dip in oil levels. In about 7,000 KM of running maybe 100ml of oil has reduced.
Why this black smoke?
I have changed the plugs, replaced the air filter, retuned the carb once and after all this there is still black smoke and my F.E has come down to 9 in the city without AC.

The local MARS Maruti A.S.S Recomends a Carb overhaul and estimates the job to cost Rs 2,000 -/ Any suggestions ?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 17:20   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Hi all,

Off late our esteem has been spitting out a lot of black carbon from the exhaust. Also Black smoke comes out on hard acceleration.
Oil levels remain steady. No major dip in oil levels. In about 7,000 KM of running maybe 100ml of oil has reduced.
Why this black smoke?
I have changed the plugs, replaced the air filter, retuned the carb once and after all this there is still black smoke and my F.E has come down to 9 in the city without AC.

The local MARS Maruti A.S.S Recomends a Carb overhaul and estimates the job to cost Rs 2,000 -/ Any suggestions ?
The mixture could be running rich so the smoke and a drop in fuel efficiency.

More fuel is getting added but able to combust fully. Try getting the optimum setting for the carb, if you have not done yet.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote