Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th June 2014, 14:59   #181
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have picked up a 2005 model Esteem VXI recently. I already have a carb one. It's Indead a great car. Some pics for you guys.......

nIk
Attached Images

Last edited by nik0502 : 14th June 2014 at 15:01.
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 00:30   #182
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

My esteem had engine oil leaking from below the distributor. Took it to MASS and they changed the engine gasket and a ring behind/inside the distributor. I got the engine oil and air filter also changed. There is no oil leaking now. Also my clutch was hard and there were jerks when moving from standstill in first gear. So got the clutch cable changed.

After this getting done below are the observations/issues.

1. Jerks mentioned above are negligible
2. Clutch is still hard but comparatively softer then before.
3. The biggest concern is my pick up/acceleration seems to have been reduced. It seems it takes more time to reach 100km/hr. It still reaches 70 kmph in 3rd gear at 3000 rpm exact like before but seems it is taking more time and I need to press the accelerator more.

What can be the issue ?
1. Is it the clutch which requires replacement ? Wouldn't the engine then rev higher than before ?
2. Or is it that the engine has some issues (I hope not ) ? There is no smoke or drop in FE that I have noticed.

The car has run 84k kms.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 10th July 2014 at 00:31.
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 12:38   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
My esteem had engine oil leaking from below the distributor. Took it to MASS and they changed the engine gasket and a ring behind/inside the distributor. I got the engine oil and air filter also changed. There is no oil leaking now. Also my clutch was hard and there were jerks when moving from standstill in first gear. So got the clutch cable changed.

After this getting done below are the observations/issues.

1. Jerks mentioned above are negligible
2. Clutch is still hard but comparatively softer then before.
3. The biggest concern is my pick up/acceleration seems to have been reduced. It seems it takes more time to reach 100km/hr. It still reaches 70 kmph in 3rd gear at 3000 rpm exact like before but seems it is taking more time and I need to press the accelerator more.

What can be the issue ?
1. Is it the clutch which requires replacement ? Wouldn't the engine then rev higher than before ?
2. Or is it that the engine has some issues (I hope not ) ? There is no smoke or drop in FE that I have noticed.

The car has run 84k kms..
My Esteem is currently with MASS precisely for the same reason i.e the oil leak around distributor. Guess the 'O' ring that goes there was not in stock for a long time and finally they got it. Hopefully, the oil leak is arrested now.

I got my clutch cable changed last time due to hardness I experienced with the clutch. Relatively better but not as soft as the modern day cars. I guess the clutch is a sore point in the Esteem and the only way to get the best out of it is to go in for a Daikin Exedy Stage1 or an OE replacement clutch as it is called. I have been trying to source one for a long time but in vain.

On your pick up, I believe it has to be with the tuning of the engine. I had the same problem last time when I got my car back and was frustrated over it. Went back to the MASS and told them the problem and also took the SA for a test drive to prove my point. The car was taken in and after some changes in tuning was absolutely fine without any drop in FE. BTW my car is 11 years old and has clocked 50k km till now.

Last edited by rr_zen : 10th July 2014 at 12:44.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 06:51   #184

My esteem vxi 2003 driven 2L+ kms has started to consume engine oil,though the pick up etc has not changed but i have seen white smoke being emitted sometimes

my mechenic says it is due for an engine overhaul
Please suggest where should i get it done and how much would it cost
Regards,
caraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 14:04   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraholic View Post
My esteem vxi 2003 driven 2L+ kms has started to consume engine oil,though the pick up etc has not changed but i have seen white smoke being emitted sometimes

Regards,
How much oil does it consume?
Try using a thicker oil 20W50.

Keep the so called engine overhaul as a last resort.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 06:58   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
How much oil does it consume?
Try using a thicker oil 20W50.

Keep the so called engine overhaul as a last resort.
It consumed a litre in 2-2.5 months.
I use castrol magnetic.How would using a thicker oil help?
Old 5th April 2015, 04:14   #187
BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
I just got the engine rebuilt for my 2005 Esteem. Costed me 14 k approx from an FNG. MASS quoted 30 K for the job.

nIk
Old 5th April 2015, 10:54   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
I just got the engine rebuilt for my 2005 Esteem. Costed me 14 k approx from an FNG. MASS quoted 30 K for the job.

nIk
Hi,
I need you viewpoint on the following points
1)What issues were you facing which made you go for the overhaul?
2)what all was changed? 3)did you go for a re bore and sleeve or a new half engine block.
4)are you satisfied with the work done,if so let me know the mechanic.
I live in Dwarka sec 22,Delhi
Old 5th April 2015, 11:44   #189
BHPian

If your planning to keep the car for a while then please consider half engine block from maruti itself,although its a expensive way to go at-least a lot of other troubles are taken care of.

If your mechanic is a expert in rebuilts,has a clean,sanitized place for engine assembly then nothing like it.Most of the road side mechanics just open and assemble engines in dusty environment which is so not recommended.

I have rebuilt my zen engine from a roadside mechanic,runs fine and returns good fuel economy,my other zen has a half engine assembly from maruti, so i have walked both ways.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 08:53   #190
BHPian

My car was overheated which resulted into a bent crankshaft. The car used to sound like a tractor. yes I went for a rebore and sleeve thing. Half engine will cost above 50k from maruti including labour and tax. I was also little apprehensive about the rebuild in the beggining but after driving more than 3000 kms post rebuild I can say I am more than satisfied with the results. The car is butter smooth. The pick up is good and FE is as always quite good. I drive it on CNG.

nIk
Old 8th April 2015, 09:48   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
My car was overheated which resulted into a bent crankshaft. The car used to sound like a tractor. yes I went for a rebore and sleeve thing. Half engine will cost above 50k from maruti including labour and tax. I was also little apprehensive about the rebuild in the beggining but after driving more than 3000 kms post rebuild I can say I am more than satisfied with the results. The car is butter smooth. The pick up is good and FE is as always quite good. I drive it on CNG.

nIk
Yes, I paid a visit to a used car showroom where I saw a 2002 model Esteem with only 20k on the odo but the engine sounded like a tractor. The car was priced Rs. 35,000 only. Does it make sense to go for such a vehicle and then spend 50k for an engine overhaul? I decided against the vehicle.

Yours is the latest one with engine immobilizers and all the goodies. You rarely come across such a beauty in the used car market. AFAIK the Esteem Diesel was a very long lasting car but you will never come across one in the used car market.
Ashok Naik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2015, 10:18   #192
BHPian

If i had an esteem my first project would be to get rid of the distributor system and use old swifts ignition system!

Thats a great mod for an esteem. I am pretty sure you will need an ecu for that though.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2015, 12:44   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It consumed a litre in 2-2.5 months.
I use castrol magnetic.How would using a thicker oil help?

Thicker oil helps because the oil will not flow into the combustion chamber so easily.
Use a 20W50 grade and see if it still consumes oil.

Never ever use an engine flush on such an OLD car/engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
If i had an esteem my first project would be to get rid of the distributor system and use old swifts ignition system!

Thats a great mod for an esteem. I am pretty sure you will need an ecu for that though.
It is not that simple my friend.
Esteem has an older head with only 8 valves.
The swift has 16 valves.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th April 2015 at 14:18.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2015, 14:03   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
It is not that simple my friend.
Esteem has an older head with only 8 valves.
The swift has 16 valves.
Ooh ok i never dug too deep on esteem, always read in media that both swift-esteem shared same engine, similar is a better word then.

Last edited by aerohit : 9th April 2015 at 14:09.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2015, 21:38   #195
BHPian

Esteem has 16 valves the MPFI models 2001 onwards 85bhp
hell boy is offline   Reply With Quote